Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Andreas Dossena (Udinese)

Read 15583 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Andreas Dossena (Udinese)
      May 17, 2008 01:46:07 pm
      Liverpool FC eye swoop for top Italian Andreas Dossena

May 17 2008 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL are ready to swoop for highly rated Italian international defender Andreas Dossena.

Rafa Benitez has identified the 26-year-old Udinese star as the man to fill his problem left back position and reports emanating from Italy suggest preliminary talks have already taken place between Reds officials and Dossena's advisers.

Dossena only recently signed a new four and a half year deal with Udinese but the Serie A club is believed to be ready to do business should anyone be prepared to meet their asking price for a player who is regarded as one of the most improved in Italian football in recent seasons.

That fee could be as high as Ā£8m, particularly with several other European clubs being on Dossena's trail.

But with the out of favour John Arne Riise set to be sold during the summer the cash raised from his likely sale would help offset the cost of Dossena should Liverpool's pursuit of him prove fruitful.

Dossena made his debut for the Italian national team in November when Azzuri manager Roberto Donadoni awarded him his first cap in a friendly fixture against South Africa and he is in contention for a place in the Italy squad for Euro 2008.

Renowned for his ability to get forward into attacking positions, Dossena has featured at both left back and wing back for Udinese, who finished seventh in Serie A last season.

With Fabio Aurelio's ongoing injury problems and the promising Emiliano Insua still considered too young for regular first team football, Benitez is keen to bring in a new left sided defender at the earliest opportunity.

Dossena is his first choice to fill that role and the Reds boss will be looking to tie up a deal for the Italian as his summer squad rebuilding programme gets under way in earnest.

Full article here

Anyone know much about this fella? At least we know Riise is certainly on his way out.

If he can defend well first and foremost, then I'll be happy. Added bonus if he can get forward.

« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2008 07:53:18 pm by JD »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Andreas Dossena - Udinese
      Reply #1: May 17, 2008 01:48:35 pm
      Hmm if my football manager knowledge is correct he used to play at Verona didnt he, i know he's good in the game but unfortuantly i've never seen him play
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #2: May 17, 2008 04:11:23 pm
      Never seen him play sounds like the type of Left back we need and one of the most improved sounds good too.

well IRWT i say hopefully we can sell riise and get this fella.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #3: May 17, 2008 05:12:56 pm
      Been hearing rumours about this guy for the past couple of weeks. Never seen him play TBH. Hopefully the defensive side of his game is a big step up from Riise's.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #4: May 17, 2008 05:15:12 pm
      Liverpool FC eye swoop for top Italian Andreas Dossena

May 17 2008 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL are ready to swoop for highly rated Italian international defender Andreas Dossena.

Rafa Benitez has identified the 26-year-old Udinese star as the man to fill his problem left back position and reports emanating from Italy suggest preliminary talks have already taken place between Reds officials and Dossena's advisers.

Dossena only recently signed a new four and a half year deal with Udinese but the Serie A club is believed to be ready to do business should anyone be prepared to meet their asking price for a player who is regarded as one of the most improved in Italian football in recent seasons.

That fee could be as high as Ā£8m, particularly with several other European clubs being on Dossena's trail.

But with the out of favour John Arne Riise set to be sold during the summer the cash raised from his likely sale would help offset the cost of Dossena should Liverpool's pursuit of him prove fruitful.

Dossena made his debut for the Italian national team in November when Azzuri manager Roberto Donadoni awarded him his first cap in a friendly fixture against South Africa and he is in contention for a place in the Italy squad for Euro 2008.

Renowned for his ability to get forward into attacking positions, Dossena has featured at both left back and wing back for Udinese, who finished seventh in Serie A last season.

With Fabio Aurelio's ongoing injury problems and the promising Emiliano Insua still considered too young for regular first team football, Benitez is keen to bring in a new left sided defender at the earliest opportunity.

Dossena is his first choice to fill that role and the Reds boss will be looking to tie up a deal for the Italian as his summer squad rebuilding programme gets under way in earnest.

Full article here

Anyone know much about this fella? At least we know Riise is certainly on his way out.

If he can defend well first and foremost, then I'll be happy. Added bonus if he can get forward.

I can't make any judgements till I've seen him in a pair of red shorts  ;) :D :D
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,728 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #5: May 17, 2008 08:30:35 pm
      I made a topic about him and another udinese player last week in the topic 'two udinese'. I saw him play a couple of matchs & he is good for a italian club but unknown for english. 
      « Last Edit: May 19, 2008 03:54:09 pm by clint_call01 »
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #6: May 18, 2008 10:15:07 am
      Don't know anything about the guy but with a lot of clubs chasing him he must have something and Rafa seems to like him thats good enough. The position he plays is one that needs filling so he can end up playing a lot of games here, lets hope he signs as a lot of Italian full backs are solid players and can be hard to beat....
      LFCelvis
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #7: May 18, 2008 11:54:08 am
      Is there any videos of this player on the internet been on youtube but nothing really there.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: May 19, 2008 09:28:13 am
      8 million - alot of money for a LB. Im just faithful in Rafa with his defensive signings, he knows his stuff when it comes to them.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #9: May 19, 2008 09:41:54 am
      Would become our record for a fee paid for a defender which currently stands at Ā£6.5 million (?) for skrtel. 
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #10: May 19, 2008 10:46:08 am
      Haven't seen him play but have a read a few good articles about him. Seems like he has really come on in the last 18 months or so. Should be seeing more of him in the Italian squad.

Man just threw his name into google the first 5 pages are all about Liverpool swooping for hm...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: May 19, 2008 11:23:09 am
      From what im reading, sounds very good. Better snap him up and quick!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #12: May 19, 2008 12:07:40 pm
      when are we going to be linked to a player that is world class not a lad that is 26 year old that has one cap that no one has ever heard, abidal is light years ahead of this lad
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #13: May 19, 2008 12:48:36 pm
      when are we going to be linked to a player that is world class not a lad that is 26 year old that has one cap that no one has ever heard, abidal is light years ahead of this lad

When someone gives rafa millions upon millions to spend. Abidal is one of the most inconsistent players in football. One game he wont put a foot wrong and the next he will make countless mistakes
      Fowler_ynwa
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      Reply #14: May 20, 2008 03:46:12 am

I watched Dossena play against AC Milan and he looked very promising. He's big, strong, quick enough, likes to get forward and has been capped at international level for a nation renowned for its defensive capabilities. He would be an improvement on what we currently have so if the rumour turned out to be true I would be pleased.

Some of us are disappointed that we haven't been linked to big name players and I think that's down to Summer Transfer fever. But lets be realistic big name players cost a s*** load more than they're really worth and we don't have the money for all our transfers to have proven quality. If Rafa could go out and buy world class he would, end of. Until then he'll just have to keep trying to unearth gems.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #15: May 20, 2008 05:52:56 am
      I like the sound of the man to fill his problem left back position, it would mean that Riise will be packing his bags. Aurelio has been an improved player this season especially in the CL but it appears that Rafa doesnt have him in his future plans. Aurelio is about 30 years old eh? And his injury problems are just a risk if we kept him as first choice. Dossena defensive credentials (according to reports) would be a benefit for us we are a bit weak in that department. Dossena and Insua in left back! Not bad.

Since it's a Liverpool Echo report, then this must be of late, among the most concrete transfer rumour.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #16: May 20, 2008 05:57:47 am

You see, here's another problem, just like the one i've addressed in a previous thread. You all are a bunch of glory hunters who only love to see world class names in the squad, turning LFC into a celebrity parade. For all the "world class" stars Real Madrid once had you would have expected them to like win the quadruple in Spain.

Abidal my ass. Go and support a sissy club like Barcelona, you can have your beloved Abidal there.   
      Shoelessboy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      Reply #17: May 20, 2008 07:35:39 am
      Bit harsh there mate, he's just expressing an opinion and some of it I agree with. From my knowledge Abidal is the better player but if this guy is interesting Rafa then I've got no qualms about him joining us as IRWT.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #18: May 20, 2008 12:54:30 pm
      darth joe just cause he has linked to liverpool doesnt mean he is a good player if i asked you to draw up a list of 20 left backs you want to see at liverpool next season i bet there would have being no mention of dossena, abidal has had a tough season in spain but this is the man that keeps evra out of the french side and you can say dossena is better, how many times have you seen him play, lets see if he is in the italian squad for the euros, one cap means nothing look how many donkeys have being capped once by england eg michael ricketts, i bet if benitez had money there would not be a mention of this lad
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #19: May 20, 2008 05:29:41 pm
      May 20 2008  by Ian Doyle, Liverpool Daily Post

RAFAEL BENITEZ is aiming to press on with his squad rebuilding this week as he closes on a trio of new arrivals.

Liverpool are ready to step up their interest in Italy international left-back Andreas Dossena now the Serie A season has ended.

Benitez has earmarked the 26-year-old Udinese player as a replacement for John Arne Riise, who is attracting interest from Newcastle United, Aston Villa and German Bundesliga outfit Schalke.

Dossena is thought to be available for around Ā£8million, despite recently signing a new four-and-a-half-year contract with Udinese.

The Anfield outfit are also expecting a response this week from Aston Villa over the future of Gareth Barry, with Benitez confident of wrapping up a deal for the England international.

And Switzerland international right-back Philipp Degen will shortly be confirmed as a free transfer arrival from Borussia Dortmund during the summer.

Ideally, Benitez wants the bulk of his transfer dealings to have been completed before Euro 2008, which begins in less than three weeks.

And Alvaro Arbeloa, who will face competition for his place from this incoming Degen, cannot wait believes Spain can go lift the European Championship.

The 25-year-old was a surprise inclusion in Luis Aragonesā€™s 23-man squad, having played just 15 minutes of international football for the senior team.

After meeting up with the squad yesterday, Arbeloa is relishing the experience and believes his team must think of themselves as potential champions. Iā€™m very happy to be here, Iā€™m really excited and Iā€™m determined to do well,ā€ he said. ā€œI want to fully enjoy this experience and go far in the tournament.

ā€œItā€™s important to think that we have to win, although we havenā€™t won much in Spain.

ā€œThatā€™s the right mentality. We know that we have to go bit by bit but the objective is to win Euro 2008.ā€

Should Arbeloa make an appearance at the finals, it will be only his second cap after he made his debut in the 1-0 friendly win over Italy in March as a 75th-minute substitute.

Meanwhile, Coca-Cola Championship side Blackpool are ready to approach Liverpool with a view to taking goalkeeper David Martin on a season-long loan.

The 22-year-old signed a new contract at the weekend which will keep him at the club until 2010, and Benitez believes the youngster would benefit from first-team experience next season.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #20: May 20, 2008 05:55:30 pm
      Just thought, if we get Andreas Dossena that means it is inevitable that Riise will leave his number one destination is rumoured to be Schalke so wouldnt it be a good idea to get one of their players as part of the deal with a little bit of cash on top. We wont be getting Rafinha obviously as we just got Degen but we were also very interested in Rakitic not so long ago and he looks a good player. Could turn out to be a good bit of business.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #21: May 20, 2008 08:00:50 pm
      darth joe just cause he has linked to liverpool doesnt mean he is a good player if I asked you to draw up a list of 20 left backs you want to see at liverpool next season I bet there would have being no mention of dossena, abidal has had a tough season in spain but this is the man that keeps evra out of the french side and you can say dossena is better, how many times have you seen him play, lets see if he is in the italian squad for the euros, one cap means nothing look how many donkeys have being capped once by england eg michael ricketts, I bet if benitez had money there would not be a mention of this lad

lets see if abidal keeps evra out of the french side in the euros?!!i doubt it very much.rafa doent mess up when buying defenders,hes brought in skirtrl & agger for less than the sum quoted to get this lad!from what ive read of the full backs were linked to there all renouned for there attacking ability,i think thats very poitive!
      stiffler
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 137 posts |
      Reply #22: May 20, 2008 11:09:39 pm
      Liverpool To Sign Italian International

According to Italian sports newspaper TuttoSport, Liverpool are about to clinch the signing of Udinese left-back Andrea Dossena.

Rafa Benitez is thought to have negotiated the deal with the playerā€™s agent Federico Pastorello, who spent the past week in England.

The 26 year old has one Italy cap to his name and was seen as a potential target for Juventus. The deal is rumoured to be in the region of 8 million pounds for a player who will be purchased as a replacement for the waning John Arne Riise.

Quick Reply