Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Video Referee

Read 10056 times
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 61 
      Re: Video Referee
      Reply #46: Nov 19, 2009 05:40:49 pm
      Ireland were robbed no doubt.I think the linesman saw it clear as day, but as has happened in many a game,for some reason he pretended he didn't see it,i know it's tough to take, but if they started replaying games because of a dodgy decision,we would end up playing a 100 games a season.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #47: Nov 19, 2009 05:44:19 pm
      I'm of the opinion that the decision to award the beach ball goal against Liverpool was worse than Henry's handball but taking into account the implications of what was at stake, then the decision against ROI becomes a million times worse than us losing 3 points in a game that we barely deserved anything from.

Firstly to seed teams for a play off is an absolute joke and totally unfair to the so called 'inferior' teams who equally deserve their places in the play off alongside the likes of France and Portugal.  But then failing to see the offsides and the double handball inclines me to believe that there should be an extra official on the goal line a la Europa League.  I wouldn't go as far to say a video ref but an extra official on the goal line should in theory minimize the frequent poor decisions that we see in football nowadays.
      Kop-Cnut
      • Forum David Johnson

• 228 posts |
      Reply #48: Nov 19, 2009 05:47:55 pm
      Ireland demand replay
      John Delaney has revealed today that the Football Association of Ireland will complain to FIFA after the Republic of Ireland were denied a place at next summer's World Cup following a handball from Thierry Henry in last night's play-off against France.

"The FAI today confirmed that it would like to complain to FIFA following last night's World Cup play-off match between France and the Republic of Ireland in Paris," the FAI chief executive told reporters at a press conference in Dublin today.

"Conclusive video evidence of a clear handball by Thierry Henry which led to France's additional time goal has been seen by millions of football fans worldwide.

"The blatantly incorrect decision by the referee to award a goal has damaged the integrity of the sport.

"We now call on FIFA as the world governing body for our sport to organise for this match to be replayed.

"The handball was recognised by the FIFA commissioner, the referee observer and the match officials, as well as by the player himself."

And Delaney pointed to previous incidents to provide precedent for his demands.

"There is precedent for the invalidation of such results," he asserted.

"In 2005 the Bureau of the FIFA World Cup Organising Committee reached a decision to invalidate the result of a World Cup qualifying game between Uzbekistan and Bahrain on the basis of a technical error by the referee at the match.

"The FAI is hoping FIFA and its disciplinary committee will, on behalf of football fans worldwide, act in a similar fashion so that standards of fair play and integrity can be respected.

"We've also written to the French FA today as well to ask them to accede to a replay given the world nature of what happened last night.

"We've got to do what we've got to do. We owe it to the players who were magnificent last night, the management team, the supporters, who were incredible - it was one of the most incredible evenings you'll ever watch from an Irish point of view - and it's up to the people who govern the game for me now.

"Every time I go to a FIFA congress I hear about 'fair play' and 'integrity' and all those wonderful words.

"And this is not merely a league match. This was a defining game that the whole world were watching. If FIFA believe in fair play and integrity and all the things we're told, this is their opportunity to step forward."
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #49: Nov 19, 2009 07:23:35 pm
      JD I'm a bigger Liverpool fan then Ireland but to be honest shocked your trying to say the Sunderland decision is more important. The decision has cost our country millions. The Sunderland game was the run of the mill Premiership game, the French game for us was the biggest International game our country has had in 7 years. It would have given our nation a big lift.

Ya the beachball decision was wrong but then so is playing basketball with the ball. If Liverpool had won the next couple of games it would have being forgotten about. We Irish will never forget Henry and the cheating French, we now have to wait 4 more years.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #50: Nov 19, 2009 07:28:05 pm
      JD I'm a bigger Liverpool fan then Ireland but to be honest shocked your trying to say the Sunderland decision is more important. The decision has cost our country millions. The Sunderland game was the run of the mill Premiership game, the French game for us was the biggest International game our country has had in 7 years. It would have given our nation a big lift.

I don't think he was talking about the consequences of the decision, in which case, IMO, the Ireland decision is clearly worse.

But in the game against Sunderland the referee actually saw what happened, but didn't know or chose not to apply the correct ruling - one that I knew, and I'm far from being a qualified referee.

In terms of refereeing, the Ireland decision was simply a case of the referee not seeing the incident, which happens most weeks in many matches.

Don't get me wrong though - still gutted for you all as supporters of your national team.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #51: Nov 19, 2009 07:33:51 pm
      Ya but the linesman saw it, had a clear view, they showed it on SSN, and other than the hand ball, there was 2 lads off side one of who fouled Dunne and stopped him winning the header.

Henry then didn't just handle it, in the first place he stopped it going back out and then played it into his path. To be honest I've being watching football a long long time and the decision to award this goal is one of the worst I've seen it could have being disallowed for 5 separate things.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #52: Nov 20, 2009 04:44:19 am
      I think what really bothers me is Henry's attitude about it.  He admitted doing it, it was basically a giant "Yeah, I cheated so what, we won were going to the Cup and your not, F**k-you"  Thats how I read his comments about it.   Plus he celebrates it like he scored a miracle goal to win it. Like it was the greatest goal in Football history. 

I think its just I had respect for him as a player and now he is just saying a big "F**k-You" to all fans of the game.  If I was a sponsor of him like Gillette, I would drop him in a second.

I think if FIFA and UEFA can ban players for diving, by reviewing the video at a later time, than Henry should be banned from the World Cup.  This wasn't a friendly or some meaningless match. This cost Ireland a shot at the World Cup!  Thats millions of dollars, endorsements, national pride.  Ireland are not a Football powerhouse like England,Italy or France. They deserve to be heard and the Ref and Linesman should never ref a match again.

ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #53: Nov 20, 2009 06:01:49 am
      I think if FIFA and UEFA can ban players for diving, by reviewing the video at a later time, than Henry should be banned from the World Cup.

I've said that for ages.

I think that the footballing authorities should be given the power to ban players following highly controversial events like this one.

I think it would be more a deterrant from diving and cheating if players knew they could receive lengthy bans and fines after a match was over.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #54: Nov 20, 2009 07:39:05 am
      This was 10x worse than a dive IMO. Ive honestly never been more disgusted in my life at something that happened in such a high profile match. And then from a player such as Henry who i had high respect for, just really shattering to see.

On video referee though, still only agree for goal line decisions. Otherwise the game would get slowed up to much, which goes against tradition. Agree that things like the Henry incident should be allowed to be reviewed and judged after the game though. Henry should be banned for the cup. The whole Irish team is missing out, so should he at least. Set a precedent of at least some sort of justice. Would be expecting to much of the 'authorities' though ::)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #55: Nov 20, 2009 07:49:09 am
      Just had to happen at a time like this, didnt it? Extra time, 1-1 and then this. IF it happened in the first 20 minutes or so, and Ireland came back then we wouldn't be reacting as madly as this.

Firstly, i wasn't impressed by seeing it. No player should do that on the field regardless of the situation.

The worse thing though, being called a thieving cheat in the tabloids. That's not on IMO. You cannot degrade someone to blatantly for something like that - it just incites more ridicule.

He was clearly in the wrong, he knew it. He owed up to it at the end and even had a chat with Dunne at the final whistle. That's all he can do.

Some say you cannot feel sorry for him, but i do. Looking past his career, he is a good man. Being branded all sorts of names is out of order.

A video referee would be handy, if it was called upon by the referee themselves. If it were to be called for by managers/players then no. I know some players may be in a position to see something and an official may miss it but it's a game and every game has errors in it. Just live with it.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #56: Nov 20, 2009 07:52:42 am
      Rate him about as highly as Fabio Grosso after that.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #57: Nov 20, 2009 07:57:29 am
      Rate him about as highly as Fabio Grosso after that.

If you mean the penalty in the WC - what was Lucas Neill doing sliding in like that at that time in the match. Just block the cross!

But that's a new topic :D
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #58: Nov 20, 2009 11:48:03 am
      Your missing the point Crouchinho Henry his whole career has put himself up as a fair play figure, that is completely tarnished now, what he did was blatant cheating and he wouldn't have got away with it in any other sport and that is the problem.

I would call him a thief because he has robbed the Irish nation of a much needed boost. And to be honest his attitude since it happened has being deplorable, it's like a handled so F***ing what well if there was any decency in football he would be banned for the World Cup and the next time a player is in such a position he might think twice of blantanly cheating.

If it was done to any other nation the reaction would have being similar if not worse, god help the french if it had being Germany, Holland or even England there would have being riots in the stadium and streets after.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #59: Nov 20, 2009 12:12:30 pm
      I think that the footballing authorities should be given the power to ban players following highly controversial events like this one.

I think it would be more a deterrant from diving and cheating if players knew they could receive lengthy bans and fines after a match was over.

I do understand where you're coming from Ayrton but where do we draw the line. I'm adamant that Henry is only being called a cheat because he wasn't 'caught' at the time. In the same match other players 'handled' but were 'caught' (the Ref blew for a foul) yet none were either booked or sent off and none will face 'suspension'.

How can it be deemed either fair or equitable for Henry to be treated any different? Surely if he warrants being called a cheat for the 'crime' of handling the ball then it follows that anyone who handles the ball (but is 'caught') is also a "cheat"?

Fair do's if we are to label them all the same and punish them all the same but the fact remains Henry's "crime" can not be treated differently just because he wasn't "caught" at the time.

I just feel that it's a very unsound path to go down. Video evidence, used there and then, would have cut out all this emotive debate, the goal would have been disallowed, maybe the Republic would have went through but Henry would not have been booked, sent off or suspended - his "crime" just wouldn't have warranted it, i'm afraid.

barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #60: Nov 20, 2009 12:49:41 pm
      I've said that for ages.

I agree with you on this one. The solution is to punish afterwards, and now if Henry misses out on the world cup finals it would be sending a message to all players that you do something that cynical and your gonna get punished.   Lets be honest, Henry knew exactly what he was doing and there is not even a 1% doubt. 
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #61: Nov 20, 2009 12:55:20 pm
      Eduardo has already had his ban rescinded, so the authorities have proven they don't have the balls to make anything stick. 

This reminds me of what a mate of mine used to say when he said all governments were corrupt.  They have us all debating these issues and do nothing to fix them, and while we are distracted debating the issues... they are ripping off millions of pounds behind our backs, and laughing their asses off.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #62: Nov 20, 2009 12:59:31 pm
      Your missing the point Crouchinho Henry his whole career has put himself up as a fair play figure, that is completely tarnished now, what he did was blatant cheating and he wouldn't have got away with it in any other sport and that is the problem.

I would call him a thief because he has robbed the Irish nation of a much needed boost. And to be honest his attitude since it happened has being deplorable, it's like a handled so F***ing what well if there was any decency in football he would be banned for the World Cup and the next time a player is in such a position he might think twice of blantanly cheating.

If it was done to any other nation the reaction would have being similar if not worse, god help the french if it had being Germany, Holland or even England there would have being riots in the stadium and streets after.

I'm not missing anything. That's football.

Australia was knocked out by a dive in extra time from Grosso in the WC after being out of it for so long, am i crying and calling for a replay? To make it worse, Italy went on to win the bloody thing.

Move on!

He is one of the good people in football. And his reaction afterwards has been noble. He isn't trying to pussyfoot around the fact he did it, he put his hand up and did it immediately after.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #63: Nov 20, 2009 01:17:14 pm
      I agree with you on this one. The solution is to punish afterwards, and now if Henry misses out on the world cup finals it would be sending a message to all players that you do something that cynical and your gonna get punished.   Lets be honest, Henry knew exactly what he was doing and there is not even a 1% doubt.  

Should Robbie Keane be punished then? Should he be called a "cheat" and suspended? He was blown up for five handballs in the game - five! Each and every time he handled it he done so to try gain an advantage, had he not have been 'caught' Robbie would, surely, have accepted the advantage. Remember too that each and every time he was 'caught' he looked at the Ref in disbelief, "who me?".

I am not saying that Ireland deserved to go out and I am not saying it doesn't leave a bitter taste. What I am saying is that to brand Henry a "cheat" and call for suspension (and worse) is unfair and the wrong way to go.

What i'm also saying is that the time has surely come for technology to play it's part.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #64: Nov 20, 2009 01:21:39 pm
      Henry knew it was mistake , he knew it wasn't a goal he owned up after wards and even told the ref that it was a handball . Fair play to him. Also there were many indications by Henry that it was not a legible goal and yet the ref didn't see them . You can't really blame Henry because he owned up to his mistake and talked to Dunne after the game and and he couldn't of more than that to change the score . And Ireland did play well ad they did not deserve to go out like this and I know many of you Irish supporters will be very pissed off . But we can't blame Henry ...or even the ref ...to an extent ( trying not to be persuaded by the players and only believing what he saw) .

There should be video refs to help the refs out if they don't see it with their eyes ....we have a 3rd umpire in cricket why can't we have in in footy . FIFA should be blamed because they most probably saw the video of the handball and the FAI gave in a request for a replay , it was stupid that they rejected the proposal . Shows the partiality by Blatter and Platini .

I understand when most of yo guys say..' You win some , you loose some' or 'sh*t happens' or 'get over it '  but this was unfair and in big games like these sort of situation should be looked over .

Overall , yes I do think there should be video refs because the human ones can't do it in their own nowadays , and help from technology will show fairplay like how sports should be !

( P.S if there's another thread about the Henry situ can someone please move my comment , thanks )
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #65: Nov 20, 2009 07:34:24 pm
      Just had to happen at a time like this, didnt it? Extra time, 1-1 and then this. IF it happened in the first 20 minutes or so, and Ireland came back then we wouldn't be reacting as madly as this.

Firstly, I wasn't impressed by seeing it. No player should do that on the field regardless of the situation.

The worse thing though, being called a thieving cheat in the tabloids. That's not on IMO. You cannot degrade someone to blatantly for something like that - it just incites more ridicule.

He was clearly in the wrong, he knew it. He owed up to it at the end and even had a chat with Dunne at the final whistle. That's all he can do.

Some say you cannot feel sorry for him, but I do. Looking past his career, he is a good man. Being branded all sorts of names is out of order.

A video referee would be handy, if it was called upon by the referee themselves. If it were to be called for by managers/players then no. I know some players may be in a position to see something and an official may miss it but it's a game and every game has errors in it. Just live with it.
      But the issue is no matter how great a player is, one bad thing can mark your career.  Do I have to mention, Zidane. 

We all know he was one of the greatest players ever, but the first thing you remember is the head but. I'm sorry, but thats how it is.  It wont take away his skills and accomplishments but "One" thing can mark your career.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #66: Nov 20, 2009 07:44:02 pm
      Completely argee. Ask a lot of English people what they think of Maradona and they will still call him a cheat and I've no doubt if Argentina and England are drawn together in the World cup that is what the English media will be talking about not his achievements as a player
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #67: Nov 20, 2009 07:51:03 pm
      It has to be looked at now as it would not take long to see incidents and make the right decision,its just a pity these things only get talked about  after a major decision has gone wrong.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #68: Nov 20, 2009 10:41:39 pm
      It has to be looked at now as it would not take long to see incidents and make the right decision,its just a pity these things only get talked about  after a major decision has gone wrong.
      I totally agree.  If the technologies and a set of guidelines for such incidents were already in place, then their would be some sort of precedence or law which FIFA can fall back on whether it is to penalize or Ban the player, team or replay the match or whatever.  Point being they still have issues which are unfair and unjust, incidents like this are too frequent to not have guidelines. It is a game and should be treated as such. France won, because the goal they scored violated the #1 Rule in Football. They should be penalized for it. Theirs no gray area. The refs know, the players know, the world knows...fix the problem and replay the match. Thats it.  If this was 50 years ago it would be a "Mystery Handball", Did he or Didn't he touch it?  Well, those days are gone, video doesn't lie.  I am not a proponent of mandatory video review for every match. Just matches which are either knock-out rounds or Cup Finals.

If they cant do the right thing and replay the match, then France certainly should not be "awarded" a trip to the Cup.

Whats going to end up happening is their will be a major incident in a World Cup Final match, where a team gets completely robbed from a bad call, its going to stain the match and the final, it will make the World Cup a joke and then something will be done.  They always have to wait for the worst case incident to occur before issues are taken. :mad:

Quick Reply