Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W7 D2 L0

Campaign to honour Billy Liddell

Read 6122 times
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Campaign to honour Billy Liddell
      May 23, 2008 12:38:37 pm
      CAMPAIGN BEGINS TO HONOUR BILLY

from lfc.tv

Jimmy Rice 23 May 2008
      A campaign is underway to build a lasting memorial to one of the greatest players ever to pull on a Liverpool jersey.
      A petition calling for a tribute to iconic Reds winger Billy Liddell in Townhill, the Scottish village where he was born, was launched this month and more than 100 people have so far signed.

The list of names will be sent to the Scottish Parliament along with a request that Liddell be inducted into the Scottish Football Association Hall of Fame at Hampden Park.

His widow is backing the bid and has suggested a bird bath be built in his memory. Other suggestions include a plaque in Townhill park.

Liddell signed for Liverpool as a teenager in 1938, spending his entire career on Merseyside before retiring aged 39 in 1961. In that time he recorded more than 500 appearances and scored 229 goals.

The great man died in 2001 of Alzheimer's disease. A plaque already exists outside Anfield.

Mike Payne, a community education worker from Townhill Community Leisure Centre, is one of the people behind the campaign.

He said: "He worked as an accountant five days a week and only trained for the remaining two days. He must have been so fit.

"But it's not just his exploits on the football pitch. Billy was a great role model for any young person today.

"He went to church and would regularly help out at his local Sunday school. Nobody had a bad word to say about him. He was just a really nice man."

Here's the link to sign the petition http://epetitions.scottish.parliament.uk/view_petition.asp?PetitionID=238
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2858 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Campaign to honour Billy Liddell
      Reply #1: May 23, 2008 12:42:18 pm
      He must have been some player no matter who is answering the question "who is Liverpools greatest ever player" people usually say "Dalglish, but I NEVER SAW LIDDELL PLAY"

That says it all really. Deserves to be honoured in anyway possible
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #2: May 23, 2008 12:45:23 pm
      Signed  ;)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2858 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: May 23, 2008 12:59:25 pm
      Signed..is right
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #4: May 23, 2008 02:29:09 pm
      Signed.

Like most , never seen him play but my grandad proclaims he was the best player ever for Liverpool ....even  to be considered as , he must have been some player. The fact that for a period Liverpool was often refered to as 'Liddellpool' says it all really.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #5: May 23, 2008 04:44:49 pm
      Signed, he was my Grandad's favourite ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: May 23, 2008 05:02:28 pm
      Signed!

A Liverpool great!
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #7: May 23, 2008 05:16:12 pm
      Signed!

I would of loved to see what he was like, as a player.  No clips anywhere?  :(
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #8: May 23, 2008 07:39:51 pm
      Signed, he was my Grandad's favourite ;D

and my Grandad's as well  ;) :D
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #9: May 24, 2008 12:49:44 am
      Should have been done long ago......Signed
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #10: May 24, 2008 12:57:00 am
      Dont forget to use the link provided by Smigger (top of page)
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #11: May 24, 2008 06:00:20 pm
      Signed . If your looking at this thread:-It takes ten seconds to complete come on guys get it signed
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #12: May 25, 2008 10:44:21 am
      Signed
      Haggis
      • Member of the Billy Liddell Memorial Group
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      • Fife's finest
      Reply #13: Sep 18, 2008 10:06:46 pm
      Some of you guys on here will probably know me from other LFC forums,if not, I'm Tony,a scouse exile now living in Billy Liddells birthplace of Townhill,I am a member of the Billy Liddell memorial group and I just thought I'd update you on the BLMG,we had another meeting recently,we have now officially elected the committee,we have a convenor,treasurer and secretary plus committee members,the objects of the group are to

Campaign for the erection of a permanent memorial to Billy Liddell in Townhill.

Campaign for the election of Billy Liddell into the Scottish football Hall of fame.

To raise awareness of the life and achievements of Billy Liddell,as a role model for young people today.

To encourage the young people of Townhill and surrounding areas to participate in sport.

It looks like the renaming of the sports pavilion and park could be happening as soon as this/next month,I think it is to be known as 'The Billy Liddell sports complex' or something similar,its not been officially decided as yet.The 2 local schools will be competing for 'The Billy Liddell memorial Trophy'as well, next month,hopefully to coincide with the renaming of the park,pavilion etc.
      It looks like the memorial will be in the park itself rather than outside the community centre,more space to have the sportsmans garden :D

We are having another meeting this coming Monday so I'll keep you all bang up to date with proceedings

Tony

Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #14: Sep 18, 2008 10:09:33 pm
      Cheers for the update Haggis
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,675 posts | 6973 
      Reply #15: Sep 18, 2008 10:13:11 pm
      What's the local council's opinion on the memorial? Are they supportive of it?

Who's responsible for the hall of fame - is that the Scottish FA?
      Haggis
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      • Fife's finest
      Reply #16: Sep 18, 2008 10:13:22 pm
      http://www.stv.tv/news/Fans_of_late_Fife_footballer_campaign_f_080909181725412

I almost forgot,a short clip of last weeks events at the Scottish parliament,I couldn't be there due to work commitments, but, my colleagues did a good job presenting a case for Billy to be included in the SFA hall of fame and to raise awareness of the memorial campaign
      Haggis
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      • Fife's finest
      Reply #17: Sep 18, 2008 10:15:58 pm
      What's the local council's opinion on the memorial? Are they supportive of it?

Who's responsible for the hall of fame - is that the Scottish FA?
      The local council are right behind it,couldn't be more supportive and yeah,the SFA are responsible for the hall of fame
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #18: Sep 19, 2008 07:22:23 pm
      Some of you guys on here will probably know me from other LFC forums,if not, I'm Tony,a scouse exile now living in Billy Liddells birthplace of Townhill,I am a member of the Billy Liddell memorial group and I just thought I'd update you on the BLMG,we had another meeting recently,we have now officially elected the committee,we have a convenor,treasurer and secretary plus committee members,the objects of the group are to

Campaign for the erection of a permanent memorial to Billy Liddell in Townhill.

Campaign for the election of Billy Liddell into the Scottish football Hall of fame.

To raise awareness of the life and achievements of Billy Liddell,as a role model for young people today.

To encourage the young people of Townhill and surrounding areas to participate in sport.

It looks like the renaming of the sports pavilion and park could be happening as soon as this/next month,I think it is to be known as 'The Billy Liddell sports complex' or something similar,its not been officially decided as yet.The 2 local schools will be competing for 'The Billy Liddell memorial Trophy'as well, next month,hopefully to coincide with the renaming of the park,pavilion etc.
      It looks like the memorial will be in the park itself rather than outside the community centre,more space to have the sportsmans garden :D

We are having another meeting this coming Monday so I'll keep you all bang up to date with proceedings

Tony

Cheers Tony, keep up the good work  ;)
      Haggis
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      • Fife's finest
      Reply #19: Nov 13, 2008 11:52:18 pm
      When the eventual renaming of the playing field in Townhill is sorted,it's been agreed that the dedication on the sign will read as follows

Billy Liddell Sports Complex

Dedicated to Billy Liddell,Townhill-born football legend-a great man on and off the field
      Football career:Kingseat Juveniles,Lochgelly Violet,Liverpool,Scotland and Great Britain
      An example to all who saw him and followed,including his fellow Townhill born players
      John Lunn and Maurice Malpas
      By dedicating this sports centre in tribute to Billy Liddell we hope it will inspire future generations
      to take up sport and believe that they,too,can achieve great things
      Haggis
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      • Fife's finest
      Reply #20: Nov 13, 2008 11:55:26 pm
      I spoke to Mark Platt,one of the guys from LFCtv,they are coming up to do some filming in Townhill on November 17th,gonna book the day off work and show them the wonders of Townhill,should take me all of 5 minutes,the guys at Lfc.tv are gonna do a 90 minute docu about the LEGEND himself ,our campaign is really starting to take off now as well,but,I'll keep that under my hat for now,will update you when I get ALL the details,should be this coming Monday

Tony
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #21: Nov 13, 2008 11:56:10 pm
      Thanks for the info Haggis.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #22: Nov 14, 2008 12:03:13 am
      Good stuff Tony. Cheers for the updates mate. Keep them coming.

Glad to hear about LFC TV coming up.

Quick Reply