Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Rafa Eyes £70mill Spree

Read 9895 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Rafa Eyes £70mill Spree
      May 25, 2008 02:08:19 pm
      From talkaloadofbull.com

"Benitez To Spend £70 Million - Report
      Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is hoping to spend £70 million this summer as he rebuilds his squad and attempts to bring the Premier League title to Anfield for the first time.

Liverpool’s American owners are expected to hand Benitez £20 million to enhance his squad but Benitez is hoping he can also raise £50 million from player sales to ensure a massive summer spending spree.

According to the News of the World Benitez is hoping to be able to raise £50 million from the sales of players such as Xabi Alonso, Peter Crouch, Scott Carson, John Arne Riise, Jermaine Pennant, Steve Finnan and Andriy Voronin. 

He will then use the money to help strengthen his squad and is reported to have his eye on Aston Villa’s Gareth  Barry as well as Andrew Dossena from Udinese. Liverpool have also this week confirmed the transfer of defender Philipp Degen, albeit on a free transfer.

Despite the ongoing behind the scenes ownership battles at Anfield it seems likely that Benitez will be handed more time and money at Liverpool to challenge for the title.

Despite spending heavily last season on players such as Fernando Torres, Javier Mascherano and Ryan Babel, Liverpool finished the season without a trophy and some eleven points behind champions Manchester United.

Captain Steven Gerrard has already called for more investment in the squad if his side are to close the gap on Manchester United and Chelsea and it seems as if his words are going to be heeded and another busy summer in the transfer market awaits for Liverpool."

Hopefully he could do it with out selling Alonso though!

If this is true then with that money he will be able to bring in players such as, Quaresma or David Silva along with either David Villa or Aguero.

David Silva and David Villa would probably cost around £25-30 million each and Aguero has a £35million release clause in his contract and Quaresma would be around £20million. Also with Dossena looking like he will sign for around £8million it will be less than the £70 and would leave some fund for January.
      I dont care what players out of the 4 we get as long as we get at least 2 of them. If we are to compete then we need to of those 4 players.

What does everyone else think about how that £70mill could be spent? Aguero or Villa alond with either Quaresma or Silva are just my personal opinion.

Reina

Degan       Carra      Agger      Dossena

Quaresma/Silva      Masch     Gerrard    Babel

Torres   Villa

Subs: Itandje?, Skrtel, Arbeloa, Aurelio, Lucas, Alonso, Kuyt    (is there 7 subs named as from next season?)

That line up would be awesome providing Degan is a good player and the rest settle

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008 02:14:29 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Re: Rafa Eyes £70mill Spree
      Reply #1: May 25, 2008 02:35:53 pm
      Aguero is a pipe dream, he isn't going anywhere for the time being even if you put a hugh bid for them, Athletico won't sell the top player in Spain when they have a UCL spot.

As for the rumor, I assume that 20m of the 50m he expects from players is Alonso fee. I rather keep Alonso then we have 50m to buy Dossena, wnger/attacking mid and striker or just Dossena and 2 wingers/attacking mids
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #2: May 25, 2008 02:44:11 pm
      Aguero is a pipe dream, he isn't going anywhere for the time being even if you put a hugh bid for them, Athletico won't sell the top player in Spain when they have a UCL spot.

He has a release clause in his contract so if its met then they have no choice but to accept it (i do admit it is highly unlikely that he will be going anywhere :( although we can all dream ;) )
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #3: May 25, 2008 03:22:13 pm
      We just need an attacking winger in the mold of Joaquin now, screw selling Alonso when we don't need to. We don't even need to if we sell at least Riise, Carson and Voronin. By my reckoning we're going to spend between 6-8million on Dossena, which leaves around 12million left from the initial transfer kitty. We'll raise at least 10m+ from the sale of those three players which means we've got upwards of 22-25million to spend on a real quality winger. That would leave us with a starting lineup something like

Reina

Degan/Arbeloa  Carra   Skrtel/Agger  Dossena

Mascherano    Alonso
               Gerrard
      New winger                   Babel
                  Torres
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #4: May 25, 2008 03:26:51 pm
      We just need an attacking winger in the mold of Joaquin now, screw selling Alonso when we don't need to. We don't even need to if we sell at least Riise, Carson and Voronin. By my reckoning we're going to spend between 6-8million on Dossena, which leaves around 12million left from the initial transfer kitty. We'll raise at least 10m+ from the sale of those three players which means we've got upwards of 22-25million to spend on a real quality winger. That would leave us with a starting lineup something like

Reina

Degan/Arbeloa  Carra   Skrtel/Agger  Dossena

Mascherano    Alonso
               Gerrard
      New winger                   Babel
                  Torres

Joaquin is apparently allowed to leave for £10million
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #5: May 25, 2008 03:39:18 pm
      Joaquin is apparently allowed to leave for £10million

Yes I saw that, Everton were interested with the price touted as around 10-12million, and that's the kind of price you'd bite their hands off for.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: May 25, 2008 04:05:23 pm
      Some players i expect/want:

Silva - 15 million
      Bentley - 15 million
      Mancini - 4 million
      Dossena - 8 million
      Sergio Garcia - 7 million
      Riera - 7 million
      Degen - Free
      Barry - 12 million

68 million.

Reina/Itandje

Arbeloa/Degen    Carragher/Skrtel/Agger/Hyypia     Aurellio/Dossena

Plessis/Mascherano/Lucas/Barry

Bentley/Mancini                                                 Silva/Riera

Gerrard/Benayoun

Kuyt/Babel/Torres/Sergio Garcia

I'd be F***ing stoked with that.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #7: May 25, 2008 04:15:33 pm
      Some players i expect/want:

Silva - 15 million
      Bentley - 15 million
      Mancini - 4 million
      Dossena - 8 million
      Riera - 7 million
      Degen - Free
      Barry - 12 million

68 million.

Reina/Itandje

Arbeloa/Degen    Carragher/Skrtel/Agger/Hyypia     Aurellio/Dossena

Bentley/Mancini                                                 Silva/Riera

Gerrard/Benayoun

Crouchinho for manager!  :D Liking that line-up!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #8: May 25, 2008 04:18:32 pm

Was just thinking that myself mate :D :D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #9: May 25, 2008 04:20:34 pm
      "Benitez To Spend £70 Million - Report.
      According to the News of the World Benitez is hoping to be able to raise £50 million from the sales of players such as Xabi Alonso, Peter Crouch, Scott Carson, John Arne Riise, Jermaine Pennant, Steve Finnan and Andriy Voronin.                                    

A truthful paper ::), so I will beleive it when I see it, but with £70m he may be after Risdales Goldfish.

Its a very quiet news day so the bizare stories are haveing there cob webs brushed off them.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #10: May 25, 2008 04:22:00 pm
      It all seems so simple when it's in black and white like that... It really looks like a title challenging squad with quality back-up in all positions, just what we've been missing for a while. If we can even get close to a line-up like this one though I'll be happy. F***ing over the moon actually!  ;D
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #11: May 25, 2008 04:40:39 pm
      Any F***ing bullshit that quotes the News of the World as it source, is quite frankly complete sh*t. As it states at the top loadofbull from even bigger gutter sh*te sister paper of the that c**t of a paper we dont mention. MODS remove this thread please I find it offensive...
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,939 posts | 285 
      Reply #12: May 25, 2008 05:03:30 pm
      Second that load of b*llsh*t
      that would be a nice lineup but cant see us having 70mil in the summer
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #13: May 25, 2008 05:05:29 pm
      cant see us having 70mil in the summer

Realistically speaking, neither can i.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #14: May 25, 2008 05:07:45 pm
      Its unlikely. I think its just a summary of the amount we could have if we sold all of the players that have been linked with a move away. I cant see Xabi moving really so that £10-15 million less if he stays.
      RouGaBoy
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts | -1 
      Reply #15: May 25, 2008 08:42:38 pm
      liverpool will be a stronger this season
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #16: May 25, 2008 09:10:33 pm

Me too, we've got 24 players  :lmao:
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #17: May 25, 2008 09:33:37 pm
      From talkaloadofbull.com

We can sell these players, but we will need depth in the squad to compete in the Champions League, premiership & FA Cup at full strength. Quality must be matched with strength in numbers.
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #18: May 25, 2008 09:50:18 pm
      Well looks like some of you might have to alter that line up a little with the Dossena deal hitting a snag.

"The Reds were expected to seal an €8 million deal for the Italian full back Dossena, but the latest word is that the 26-year-old is leaning towards staying Italy, with Fiorentina and Juventus now firmly in the frame.

Udinese sport director Pietro Leonardi admitted that talks with Liverpool are already well underway, but seemed to suggest that a conclusion is still some way off"
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #19: May 25, 2008 11:53:27 pm
      http://kop-tv.com/go/benitez-to-go-on-70m-splurge-but-is-it-going-to-be-enough/

Benitez to go on £70m splurge, but is it going to be enough?

Reports are claiming that Rafael Benitez is set to be handed a mere £20million to enhance his squad during the summer months, from which he will be expected to develop a title-winning outfit.

However, reports in Sunday papers suggest Benitez will be allowed to retain all funds raised from player sales, which could total a more impressive £50million (News of the World), giving the our manager a grand-total of around £70million, but he must spend this wisely as the holes left by departing players will surely need filling.

Peter Crouch (£12m), Xabi Alonso (£14m), Jermaine Pennant (£7m), Andriy Voronin (£2m), Steve Finnan (£3m), Scott Carson (£7m) and John Arne Riise (£5m) are all earmarked to leave Anfield during the summer.

New signing Phillip Degen (free transfer) has started the ball-rolling which will end Steve Finnan’s five-year Anfield career with a move back to Fulham being rumoured, giving Alvaro Arbeloa something to think about in the fight for the right-back starting role, and Andreas Dossena looks set to become our second signing as a direct replacement for left-back John Arne Riise.

Aston Villa’s Gareth Barry is also being courted by Benitez and has tabled two bids so far with a view of raising his third bid to £15million which will probably be a tempting ‘take-it-or-leave-it’ offer for the Midlands club.

Blackburn’s David Bentley is a £12million target too as a replacement for Pennant, leaving Benitez with a warchest of less than £20million, with which he will be purchasing a back-up goalkeeper to Pepe Reina, a partner for star-striker Fernando Torres, and possibly another left-sided winger as a replacement for the ’sacked’ Harry Kewell.

Hopefully Rafa will also promote one or two reserve players like Nemeth and Insua too, but I keep asking myself the question: “Is this really enough to topple Man Ure?”.

Will Benitez be replacing mediocre players with more mediocre players? I know this is real-life and not some poxy Football Manager game, but we really do need some additional star-quality instead of relying on Gerrard and Torres all of the time. ( >:( So True)

A serious injury to either one of these two players (God forbid) could effectively wipe-out 20+ league points, ( :f_doh: my point exactly) maybe Rafa has something up his sleeve, he has this ability to conjure up gems from absolutely nowhere, but our American owners need to wake up and smell the Carlsberg by giving our manager a fighting chance of Premiership glory by handing him another blank cheque, Torres-style!
      ________________________ ________________________ _______________

The big question is "Is this enough?" My answer is NO!

We need quality and depth to be able to compete. Said it earlier on in this tread.
      « Last Edit: May 26, 2008 11:04:24 pm by solodee »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #20: May 26, 2008 01:36:36 am
      Some players I expect/want:

Silva - 15 million
      Bentley - 15 million
      Mancini - 4 million
      Dossena - 8 million
      Riera - 7 million
      Degen - Free
      Barry - 12 million

68 million.

Reina/Itandje

Arbeloa/Degen    Carragher/Skrtel/Agger/Hyypia     Aurellio/Dossena

Bentley/Mancini                                                 Silva/Riera

Gerrard/Benayoun

Great team of players but there are too many, i mean there are 10 midfielders, that is way too many and it would effect morale because they wont be getting a good run in the team.
      there are too many strikers aswell, we dont need Sergio Garcia if we are going to be playing Babel up front becaue we saw this season how much it effected Crouch being on the bench so much. if we need to have another striker due to injury or something then that is when Nemeth come in because otherwise he is never going to get his chance. the defence is perfect, although i would add Insua to it because we all know what Aurelio is like when it comes to injuries. it looks like next season we are going to have a complete defence and wont have to be playing the left backs at centre back because of injuries.

But none the less it is still a great team you have put there ;)
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #21: May 26, 2008 01:42:11 am
      Raising all this money by selling these squad players and buying real quality players (assuming the quality players all cost 15m+) will obviously leave us with the problem of having less squad depth.

but...

Maybe Rafa thinks that its time that the reserves youngsters fill up the gaps left by these departing players and with seven subs next season it'll make it easier to bed in these youngsters.

This is of course assuming this story is true whish it probabaly isnt...
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #22: May 26, 2008 06:26:35 am

:f_doh:
       ::)
       :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #23: May 26, 2008 10:02:45 am
      70 million pounds...just can't see it happening :(

Let's just hope that 50 million of that isn't gained from the sale of Fernando Torres to those Chav bas**rds as reported in another thread. You just never know with these Yank bas**rds. :f_steam:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #24: May 26, 2008 11:09:26 am

Great team of players but there are too many, I mean there are 10 midfielders, that is way too many and it would effect morale because they wont be getting a good run in the team.
      there are too many strikers aswell, we dont need Sergio Garcia if we are going to be playing Babel up front becaue we saw this season how much it effected Crouch being on the bench so much. if we need to have another striker due to injury or something then that is when Nemeth come in because otherwise he is never going to get his chance. the defence is perfect, although I would add Insua to it because we all know what Aurelio is like when it comes to injuries. it looks like next season we are going to have a complete defence and wont have to be playing the left backs at centre back because of injuries.

But none the less it is still a great team you have put there ;)

Some people have to miss out some weeks but Rafa said in his season review that during that poor spell around Christmas, the players played too many matches in a row. The way i understand that is he will definately rotate heavily. The downfall of our season IMO was no quality in our back up.

Who ever he signs, they will play their fair share of games.
      lfcreds27
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts | -5 
      Reply #25: May 26, 2008 03:10:32 pm
      70 million pounds...just can't see it happening :(

Let's just hope that 50 million of that isn't gained from the sale of Fernando Torres to those Chav bas**rds as reported in another thread. You just never know with these Yank bas**rds. :f_steam:

If rumours are true then Rafa will be given 20-30 million and will up his kitty with sales of players like Crouch,Carson,Pennant,etc.

To add to Degan we need a LB, most likely Dossena for around 10 million.

Then we also need a RW either Quaresma or Silva, I would go for Quaresma because he would be cheaper (around 15 million) and IMO has more talent.

A striker is needed to partner Torres and Villa would be a perfect match and would most likely be our most expensive signing at 25-30 million.

These 3 players would cost in the region of 50 million, which is doable.

Any other additions would have to be covered by more sales, but really we dont need any more midfielders and only other one I can see is a back up keeper and im sure we can get one on the cheap.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #26: May 26, 2008 04:45:34 pm
      Maybe Rafa thinks that its time that the reserves youngsters fill up the gaps left by these departing players and with seven subs next season it'll make it easier to bed in these youngsters.

I dunno with Rafa, I think now is the time to put these young players in the depth charts of the first team squad rather than going to spend 4m, save the funds to help get more quality players. I think players like El Zhar and Plessis are really either upon the cusp of making the team and if not they should move on to other clubs like Hobbs should do now.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #27: May 26, 2008 05:30:40 pm
      £70m spree? Where in gods green earth would he get £70m from?

Oh and we spent £70m last season but somehow finished 4th.

Torres - £26m
      Mascherano - £17m
      Babel - £11m
      Lucas - £6m
      Benayoun - £5m

Well that's £65m and we probably spent £5m on youth players or near that mark. If Rafa's to spend £70m this summer then I hope he spends it better.
      kennys88lads
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 118 posts | -4 
      Reply #28: May 26, 2008 05:53:32 pm
      liverpool will be a stronger this season

A stronger what?
      kennys88lads
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 118 posts | -4 
      Reply #29: May 26, 2008 05:55:46 pm

Torres - £26m
      Mascherano - £17m
      Babel - £11m
      Lucas - £6m
      Benayoun - £5m

Well that's £65m and we probably spent £5m on youth players or near that mark. If Rafa's to spend £70m this summer then I hope he spends it better.

Its surpsising how those fees add up, alot of outlay there cant see another 65-70 M being so readily available.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #30: May 26, 2008 06:24:54 pm
      Player swaps seems to be our main aim in this transfer market at the moment. Seems a good plan and it could see us land some great players.

I think we just need to think carefully about who we sell and who we buy to replace them. First point of interest is Xabi Alonso, crucial that he remains at the club in my opinion. I think alot of our fans will be happy if we get a decent fee for players who we feel need to move on or if it helps us to land another player. We need to ensure we dont lose the depth we have but add quality at the same time.

Players like Bentley, Silva and Garcia could help us alot but it just depends on how we go about getting them. We can sell players like Carson and get a fair amount of money for them which would help but we need to ensure that we sell them on our terms and not the opposite teams.
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #31: May 26, 2008 07:25:30 pm

Torres - £26m
      Mascherano - £17m
      Babel - £11m
      Lucas - £6m
      Benayoun - £5m

Normally the fee for Torres is said to have been around 20 mio. On the other hand you forgot Skrtel for 6.5 mio, so it adds up to around 70 mio.

It of course not the net spending, which was around 35 mio..

Anyway, whom of those players were not worth the price in your opinion? Im pretty sure you agree that the money on Torres, Mascherano and Skrtel were well spent right? In my opinion the money on Babel and Benayoun were well spent too. Benayoun because he is a usefull squad player who also scores and creates goals and 5 mio. is not much. Babel because he is young and has shown very much talent and potential and has scored a decent amount of goals in his first season here. The only one Im not convinced about yet is Lucas, but he may well turn out be a really good deal as well. But as I remember you saying Lucas is our most intelligent player, I guess you think 6 mio was a good deal for him right?

So, how bad were the 70 mio. actually spent when you think about it?
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #32: May 26, 2008 09:01:55 pm

Torres - £26m
      Mascherano - £17m
      Babel - £11m
      Lucas - £6m
      Benayoun - £5m

Wow, you 'hope he spends it better'? What more would you like? Shall we spend around 35million net on players that make such huge impacts in the Premiership like Malouda or Ivanovic like Chelsea? I don't think we quite have the money to match Man Utd's millions last year either, with players like Nani, Anderson, Carrick and Hargreaves all being bought for fees around the 18million mark, with very little coming back the other way in terms of funds raised. And you can't compare our spending to Arsenals as Wenger has had years to fine tune his side and he only needed a couple of additions to complete the set. However we spent 35million net and bought in one of the best strikers in the world, one of the best defensive midfielders in the world, two players with very bright futures and one above average squad player.

I think he spent very well last summer, which isn't to say I agree with all of his transfers, just that I disagree with you on your point that Rafa spent his pounds badly. He improved the squad immensely and has moved us closer to equality with the other three above us, which was especially noticeable in the matches played between them and us. Although I don't think he'll get anywhere near 70million this summer, I don't think he needs to either, as he's been pretty cunning so far securing a decent looking player on a free, another 8million or so on Dossena (hopefully anyway) which leaves more than enough for the rest of the strengthening, which in my eyes only needs to be on the right wing. I think Rafa has put a lot of time and thought into his spending this summer, and I hope he's as good in the transfer market as last year, because if he continues like that we'll see an even further improved team next year.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #33: May 26, 2008 09:21:26 pm
      in order to compete we will probably have to spend around £60million more than united and chelsea
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #34: May 26, 2008 10:51:39 pm
      i find it hard to beleive that we have 70 million to spend this summer.i hope its true and if it is then our first priority is a right sided midfielder.queresma is top class.he had a great game against us in the champions league.we need a striker.i think a cheeky bid for henry?id love to see the young barcelona player boyan in a liverpool shirt.we should forget about signing bentley from blackburn.he costs too much and dont think he would fit in.he is quick and can cross the ball but then pennant is just as good at these things.a player we should be after is michael johnson.he seems a really good prospect.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #35: May 26, 2008 10:59:19 pm
      I find it hard to beleive that we have 70 million to spend this summer.I hope its true and if it is then our first priority is a right sided midfielder.queresma is top class.he had a great game against us in the champions league.we need a striker.I think a cheeky bid for henry?id love to see the young barcelona player boyan in a liverpool shirt.we should forget about signing bentley from blackburn.he costs too much and dont think he would fit in.he is quick and can cross the ball but then pennant is just as good at these things.a player we should be after is michael johnson.he seems a really good prospect.

Would you spend 15million on Johnson when we've got Mascherano, Lucas, Alonso and Gerrard? Wasted money that could be spent elsewhere, and Quaresma would cost just as much if not more than Bentley.

Still I agree, we only really need a right winger once the Dossena deal is tied up.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #36: May 26, 2008 11:32:13 pm
      do you not feel that alonso is not performing as well as he used to and maybe we should cash in on him and strengthen on areas we really need to.we are very strong in midfield.
      lfcreds27
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts | -5 
      Reply #37: May 26, 2008 11:39:28 pm
      Would you spend 15million on Johnson when we've got Mascherano, Lucas, Alonso and Gerrard? Wasted money that could be spent elsewhere, and Quaresma would cost just as much if not more than Bentley.

Still I agree, we only really need a right winger once the Dossena deal is tied up.

What about a striker, depending on Crouch leaving, we will only have 1 striker.

Voronin and Kuyt are relatively useless up front, Vornin also being useless anywhere.

Villa for me to partner Kuyt.

You are right that we do not need any further centre mids, we probably have too many at moment.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #38: May 26, 2008 11:44:13 pm
      do you not feel that alonso is not performing as well as he used to and maybe we should cash in on him and strengthen on areas we really need to.we are very strong in midfield.

Definately not. Alonso is a 26 year old who's still got his best years to give, and I couldn't possibly want to 'cash in' on him because he's had a season riddled with injury. Alonso has played in 27 games this year, whereas Lucas has played in 32. Would you say Lucas has contributed more to the team than Alonso this year, even having played more games?

No, I wouldn't. Xabi is still a quality player, despite being injured for long periods this season. He still has superb ability to spot a pass, is so composed on the ball, and there's probably no one else in the team I would prefer to have in a tight spot under pressure. How many times do you see him turn away from one or two pressurising opposition, spray a ball out to the other flank and setup an attack?

Yes, we are very strong in midfield, but we need to be, because with this formation using three central midfielders, we need quality all throughout. In Mascherano we have a superb defensive midfielder, Gerrard a top quality attacking midfielder, and in Xabi an awesome playmaker. Those three are our best options, and if we need to cash in on players let it be those who have truly underperformed or are not contributing enough, such as Riise and Carson, not one of our best First XI players.

What about a striker, depending on Crouch leaving, we will only have 1 striker.

Voronin and Kuyt are relatively useless up front, Vornin also being useless anywhere.

Villa for me to partner Kuyt.

You are right that we do not need any further centre mids, we probably have too many at moment.

*edit to answer lfcreds27*

Good point, but should Crouch leave we should get upwards of 12-15million, which is apparantly the price touted for Sergio Garcia, the 24 year old Spanish striker from Real Zaragoza that everyone is raving about. Also, perhaps Rafa sees it as time for Nemeth to prove his worth in a couple of games should be be called upon next year? Oh and I'd sell Voronin for whatever we can get for him.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #39: May 27, 2008 12:39:13 am
      Talkalotofbull.com sounds like a very interesting website doesn't it?

:tosser:
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #40: May 27, 2008 12:51:08 am
      Talkalotofbull.com sounds like a very interesting website doesn't it?

:tosser:

sorry man.must have touched a nerve.your country didnt qualify either?
      « Last Edit: May 27, 2008 02:06:07 pm by Court LFC, Reason: Post outside the quote box, thanks. »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,386 posts | 1542 
      Reply #41: May 27, 2008 02:29:39 am
      If Rafa does get £70 mill to spend, that will go a long way to steping up to the next level if it's spent wisely. David Villa will do nicely to stat with, and if we sell Voronin, we should be able to get a new pair of boots for Villa as well.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #42: May 27, 2008 07:53:00 am
      I'm reading some absolute tosh.

Torres - £26m
      Mascherano - £17m
      Babel - £11m
      Lucas - £6m
      Benayoun - £5m

70 million outgoing, dont forget to mention the incoming funds from players being sold.

I find it hard to beleive that we have 70 million to spend this summer.I hope its true and if it is then our first priority is a right sided midfielder.queresma is top class.he had a great game against us in the champions league.we need a striker.I think a cheeky bid for henry?id love to see the young barcelona player boyan in a liverpool shirt.we should forget about signing bentley from blackburn.he costs too much and dont think he would fit in.he is quick and can cross the ball but then pennant is just as good at these things.a player we should be after is michael johnson.he seems a really good prospect.

Quaresma had a great game against us? Yeah had a good game in our away leg but what happened when he used his big mouth? Absolutely nothing. 'I will silence the Kop', dream on you F***ing tit, he did jack all.

Bentley too much? 15 million? Much rather him than Quaresma. He is not quick but can get past his man, he can cross better than Jermaine, he is a dead ball specialist, he is a winner and a hard worker. Very much worth 15 million.

Michael Johnson? We have Lucas and Plessis coming through along with Xabi, Masch and Gerrard. Waste of money.

Bojan, if you have a spare 20 million.

We are strong in midfield because of Xabi. Also, cash in? We will get 15 million and thats hardly enough to replace someone like him. If a bid of 20 million came in which Rafa wants then yeah but it just wont happen.

All in all people, please have realistic targets. Quaresma and Villa arent coming. Quaresma is very much over rated (he is good but not what some people say) and Villa will set us back 25 million + with Real looking set to sign him and we just compete with them. Plus, Rafa wont change his formation. This is the formation he has wanted to implement his whole time here as he did with Valencia. Torres will be the sole man up front, he will look for wingers who track back and then explode forward (Bentley). If we see a striker come in, they will be potentially great but not world class.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #43: May 27, 2008 02:02:38 pm
      selling kuyt is an option.we really dont need him.he aint gona dislodge torres and he cant play on the right wing.why is rafa tryng to buy barry.we all know we have enough midfielders.how about arron lennon.great pace and well used to the premier league.maybe make an offer for darren bent.think we would get him for 10 million.i just have a feeling bentley is not the right option for us.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #44: May 27, 2008 02:08:21 pm
      sorry man.must have touched a nerve.your country didnt qualify either?

Sorry man.  What the F**k are you sorry for?

No you didn't touch a nerve.  How is the National side relevant here?  And I didn't even quote your post for a start.

What country are you from then?  :D :D :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #45: May 27, 2008 02:10:23 pm
      selling kuyt is an option.we really dont need him.he aint gona dislodge torres and he cant play on the right wing.why is rafa tryng to buy barry.we all know we have enough midfielders.how about arron lennon.great pace and well used to the premier league.maybe make an offer for darren bent.think we would get him for 10 million.I just have a feeling bentley is not the right option for us.

And Bent and Lennon are the right option? Bent was bought for 17 million or 16 million, why will they sell less than a season in for a loss of atleast 6 million? They are rubbish. Kuyt said himself he doesnt play right wing per say but a right forward.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #46: May 27, 2008 04:50:32 pm
      Sorry man.  What the F**k are you sorry for?

No you didn't touch a nerve.  How is the National side relevant here?  And I didn't even quote your post for a start.

What country are you from then?  :D :D :D

this is my first time using these forums.im still just finding my feet here.im from ireland by the way.
      « Last Edit: May 27, 2008 05:16:58 pm by redkenny »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #47: May 27, 2008 05:23:03 pm

this is my first time using these forums.im still just finding my feet here.im from ireland by the way.

When quoting someone hoganov, make sure you start typing below this - [/quote]

Back on topic.
      IB
      • Prediction League Champion 2008/09
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts | 18 
      Reply #48: May 27, 2008 05:45:55 pm

Torres - £26m
      Mascherano - £17m
      Babel - £11m
      Lucas - £6m
      Benayoun - £5m

Do you not think he spent his money well last season? Looking back on the deal with Torres and Mascherano, although it would seem alot of money, doesn't it look like a bargain now?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #49: May 28, 2008 03:09:11 pm
      By what i have heard today we will be lucky if we spend £20million let alone 70, even Spurs are given more funds than us. Modric around 16mill and they are now apparently close to a 13mill deal for dos santos. We need money for players like Dos santos and Villa but unfortuantly we have the 2 biggest cu*ts in the world owning us.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #50: May 28, 2008 03:47:23 pm
      i find it funny how some fans are so deluded that they think rafa will have the money to buy players like villa,silva,queresma ect.i know hes trying to offload players to get more money.its just by the time rafa sells the players he wants away most of his number one & two tagets will be in our rival teams!stop dreaming youll only get yourselves upset!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #51: May 28, 2008 04:00:07 pm
      I find it funny how some fans are so deluded that they think rafa will have the money to buy players like villa,silva,queresma ect.I know hes trying to offload players to get more money.its just by the time rafa sells the players he wants away most of his number one & two tagets will be in our rival teams!stop dreaming youll only get yourselves upset!

So you are calling fellow reds deluded?! If you look back at last summer we signed Torres, and spent alot of money and also got Masch so why cant we see it as a possibility that we could be interested in players like Villa and Quaresma. The owners said that they would provide money so there is no reason as to why we cant get them players, BUT unfortuanlty the owners have issues and for some reason are not willing to spend at the moment.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #52: May 28, 2008 05:10:29 pm
      if their not willing to spend at the moment how are we going to get them!!?
      im just not gettig my hopes up especially if the reports of a 15mil transfer kitty are true.i agree we could get them if we had the money but i dont think we have!
      LPJD
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts | -2 
      Reply #53: Jun 12, 2008 03:51:32 pm
      personally i think we wont get 70 mil at the most 50 if we get
      20 from owners
      7 mil from crouch sell
      18ish mil from alonso sell
      5ish for pennant
      maybe 2 mil for voronin

i think we dnt need a 30 or 40 mil player we needa a few 15 mil players i just hope rafa can make sum good transfers that will bring us the premier league title 
      pauLFC4life
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -2 
      • The LFC Love Flows Forever
      Reply #54: Jun 13, 2008 01:26:22 am
      well I want rafa to sign quaresma, david silva, . I wud luv kaka but not a chance. also a world class defender. sum1 like carragher ;)

reina

degen/arbeloa          carra             agger/skrtel             riise

mascherano          gerrard             alonso

qauresma                    TORRES              silva

babel keep for bench
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #55: Jun 13, 2008 04:57:31 am
      personally I think we wont get 70 mil at the most 50 if we get
      20 from owners
      7 mil from crouch sell
      18ish mil from alonso sell
      5ish for pennant
      maybe 2 mil for voronin

I think we dnt need a 30 or 40 mil player we needa a few 15 mil players I just hope rafa can make sum good transfers that will bring us the premier league title 

Agree with that. I think guys like Bentley and Barry (although if its going to be for 20 mill they can F**k off) would be great for us and of course David Silva. If we managed to get those 3 somehow, would make me quite a happy man.
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #56: Jun 13, 2008 05:14:36 am
      Also add around $5m for Riise who looks almost certain to be heading to Roma.
      kop1985
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts | -10 
      Reply #57: Jun 13, 2008 08:47:57 pm
      If Benitez is able to raise £50m from player sales it wouldn't suprise me if the Yanks don't give him any extra.  They are not going to splash the cash if we are so much in the red!  IMO he won't raise anywhere near £50m, more like £30m.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #58: Jun 13, 2008 09:50:05 pm
      Also add around $5m for Riise who looks almost certain to be heading to Roma.

and some money from carson, finnan, itandje and a few others.
      pauLFC4life
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -2 
      • The LFC Love Flows Forever
      Reply #59: Jun 14, 2008 12:32:11 am
      i hope we dont sell riise he's a lej
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #60: Jun 14, 2008 01:50:35 am
      Why sell finnan? hes doing a fantastic job , solid reliable out standing defender what would it cost to replace him in this stupid money market?.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #61: Jun 14, 2008 02:02:32 am
      I think we should sign:

Barry 15m
      Villa 20-30m
      Joaquin 10m
      Silva 20m

Which would leave us with A goalscorer, a great centre midfielder and 2 wingers which we need
      LPJD
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts | -2 
      Reply #62: Jun 14, 2008 11:26:28 am
      well I want rafa to sign quaresma, david silva, . I wud luv kaka but not a chance. also a world class defender. sum1 like carragher ;)

reina

degen/arbeloa          carra             agger/skrtel             riise

mascherano          gerrard             alonso

qauresma                    TORRES              silva

babel keep for bench

i  think alternating babel and kuyt is better than playing quaresma and left back seems like riise's going and compared on this season aurelio is a top notch left back
      IB
      • Prediction League Champion 2008/09
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts | 18 
      Reply #63: Jun 14, 2008 12:11:44 pm
      Why sell finnan? hes doing a fantastic job , solid reliable out standing defender what would it cost to replace him in this stupid money market?.

Mate Degan is a right back, thats three right backs we now have. Seen as Finnan is the oldest one he'll probably be the one to leave because I cant see Rafa selling Arbeloa. Even if Rafa keeps all three right backs one of them is going to be unhappy and one of them will leave, simple as that.

Although I agree that Finnan should stay but now that we have three right backs it seems obivous that one of our right backs aren't in Rafas plans. Maybe even both Finnan and Arbeloa aren't in Rafas plans seen as Rafa went through a period last season of playing Carragher at right back which sort of shows that he might not have been happy with the right backs he had currently.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #64: Jun 15, 2008 08:41:19 pm
      Point taken IB as you say Finnan is the oldest , but i think he should stay. IRWT.

Quick Reply