Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Andrea Dossena (Liverpool to Napoli)

Read 91954 times
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Re: Andrea Dossena Player Thread
      Reply #552: Mar 14, 2009 04:21:43 pm
      SUPER SUB
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #553: Mar 14, 2009 04:24:09 pm
      We have found a replacement for Keane for the rest of the season.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #554: Mar 14, 2009 04:29:32 pm
      Go on Andi Lad!!
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #555: Mar 14, 2009 04:34:03 pm
      what a finish boy!
      keep up the good work.
      with that kind of finish, i think he will play better in a more attacking role. he anyway sucks at LB.
      Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #556: Mar 14, 2009 04:56:00 pm
      He has shown today why he is arguably world's most in-form goal-scorer - 2 quality goals in 2 games  :aaliverpool2xt1:

;D but seriously when he's on the left wing I feel much more assured - in an attacking sense, he isn't actually bad at all.  I would have him 2nd choice left-mid after Riera, with Babel in a more attacking role. 
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #557: Mar 14, 2009 05:05:30 pm
      Agree. He ain't no defender that's for sure, but he can do some sort of job on the left wing, and to score two goals in a week must be a massive boost for his confidence.

All the reds players on the bench were pissing themselves laughing at it.

I think he could do a job at LB again, but I would like to see him used as a LW to help build his confidence. If it weren't for Mendy making 2 crosses (which Carra and Agger didn't clear) I think you would be a lot less reluctant to see him in the back 4 again.

I think that was just sheer enjoyment on the players faces of going up 4-1 against Man U. I was giggling like a school girl too, and not because of which player scored.
      Wash-Ngog
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 80 posts | 15 
      Reply #558: Mar 14, 2009 05:58:08 pm

Dossena has struggled with the pace and style of English football which has made playing left back hard for him to come to terms with.

Italian football is played at jogging pace and is a tactical chess-like battle that involves structured and concise build up play so positioning and awareness tend to be easier to implement.

In a 5 - 3 - 2 in Italy he was more of a 'wing back' so could attack in confidence knowing that there are three centre-halves covering and one of them can mop up if required in the full back / wing back area if he is caught too high up the pitch.

English teams tend to use the width of the pitch more and hit the byline by taking on the full-backs which isn't something that Italian defenders are used to so when Dossena goes marauding forward he finds it hard to recover and we end up having to cover him with either Carragher or Skrtel going into the channel to deal with the threat.

I actually think that Dossena is a good option on the left of midfield as he is extremely direct and plays the ball early if the opportunity arises. This is evident in the amount of first time crosses that he puts into the box and most of them are into quality areas between the six yard box and the penalty spot.

Sometimes people feel that his delivery isn't very good when actually the ball in is superb but we haven't taken a chance and commited enough players into the box to get on the end of it.

How many times do you see us with only one man in the box attacking crosses....quite often to be honest which explains our lack of headed goals in general this season.

He is a player that won't cut inside too much either so most of his crosses mean that the defender is having to face his own goal to deal with it which is always going to be more difficult to defend than a 'flat cross' or a ball whipped in from 30+ yards out from the flank.

One thing the modern day football fan is guilty of is not allowing players time to settle and get used to a new culture / brand of football and Liverpool fans are as bad as everyone else for this.

Playing Dossena at left back is always going to be risky for us because he is a player that naturally likes to get forward at every opportunity and will neglect his defensive duties which for a team that is set up as meticulously as we are tactically can cause problems.

I feel personally that he is much more likely to have a positive impact playing left midfield where he can provide natural width and reasonable pace when we need to counter-attack or play at a high tempo.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #559: Mar 14, 2009 06:01:57 pm
      Mate from now on its Andrea "score against the big boys" Dossena give it respect!
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #560: Mar 14, 2009 06:03:52 pm
      I think he could do a job at LB again
      LB? Stick him up with Nando at this rate :lmao:
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #561: Mar 14, 2009 08:07:19 pm
      The Andrea "Lethal" Dossena thread he could be the fox in the box we've been looking for  ;D ;D ;D What a week time for a few lemonades to celebrate ;)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #562: Mar 14, 2009 08:59:33 pm
      Offt, what a bargin egh
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #563: Mar 14, 2009 09:06:06 pm
      I think over these past two games he could potentially be a good option to bring on as a left winger if needed.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #564: Mar 14, 2009 10:58:10 pm
      He did say not to stigmatize him for being Italian as being defensive, at this rate I really could see him as a winger at times. Maybe a supersub
      Paul 08
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts | -4 
      • Justice for the 96 reds
      Reply #565: Mar 14, 2009 11:02:45 pm
      He's a super sub I love him now he's scored against the manc sh*te
      Bowlesy88
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #566: Mar 15, 2009 01:17:31 am
      good week 4 dossena, lets hope he can keep up this run, where are all those doubters now eh??, just a matter of adopting to the prem n gettin a bit of confidence
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #567: Mar 15, 2009 01:18:25 am
      good week 4 dossena, lets hope he can keep up this run, where are all those doubters now eh??, just a matter of adopting to the prem n gettin a bit of confidence

To be fair, all doubters were targeting his defensive game.
      NandoTheLegend
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts |
      Reply #568: Mar 15, 2009 02:07:59 am
      This is the week when everything went right!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #569: Mar 15, 2009 02:14:33 am
      2 goals in 2 games :D
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #570: Mar 15, 2009 08:29:02 am
      Just shows the faith Rafa still has in him to bring him on in 2 of the most important games of the season. Well done Rafa and Andrea!

Cant choose between his goal and Fabio's for class goal of the day...

I tell you what he showed a great bit of pace to get past o sh*t o shea too.

I think we've found nando's ideal strike partner ROFL :lmao:
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #571: Mar 15, 2009 09:21:12 am
      I think he could be our prolific striker when Torres is out. 2 goals in 2 games against 2 of the most meanest defence in the world is only gonna get him goin'. Hahaha, no, but really. He comes on for a run about for 5 minutes and what's interesting is that we are even able to allow him to attack, let alone score! Dossena!!
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #572: Mar 15, 2009 09:36:02 am
      We shouldn't be surprised really, remember him coming off the bench a couple times and making goals. Now he is scoring them, take out Riera and throw Dossena. Aurelio will handle the defensive duties, but he's definitely our super sub
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #573: Mar 15, 2009 09:55:55 am
      Well he didn't do anything wrong the last two games :P

marko
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #574: Mar 15, 2009 10:00:03 am
      I am really pleased for dossena kept his head down and got on with it when things have not gone well and has not come out moaning about this and that.hope these last two games gives him the confidence to show people they were wrong about him. ;D

Quick Reply