Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Torres- Reds must spend

Read 2775 times
      babel99
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 141 posts | -24 
      Torres- Reds must spend
      Jun 09, 2008 07:08:26 pm
      Fernando Torres has demanded Liverpool's co-owners put aside their differences and splash the cash this summer in order to end an 18-year league title drought at Anfield.

The Reds have not sampled league success since 1990 and last month captain Steven Gerrard called for Liverpool's American owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, to spend big in order to close the gap on Manchester United and Chelsea at the top of the Premier League.

And star striker Torres, who was a record-breaking signing last July, has now echoed the sentiments of his skipper and is eager for Gillett and Hicks to end their much publicised bust-up in order to allow manager Rafa Benitez to land his top targets.

Liverpool - who recently announced a £33million loss in the financial year ending 31st July 2007 - have already spent on Udinese full-back Andreas Dossena, but Torres is hopeful the Italian's arrival will be the first of many.

"It's clear that they (United and Chelsea) have a lot of £20million or £25m players, and that difference is what separates us in the table," Torres told the Liverpool Echo.

Competition

"I hope that the club does what needs to be done and we can quickly catch them up.

"In order to compete with Manchester United and Chelsea, if we can't keep up with them economically, then we have to get it absolutely right in the transfer market."

Hicks and Gillett have endured a difficult relationship on Merseyside, but Spanish ace Torres - who hit 24 Premier League goals last season - insists that the in-house feud has not affected him.

"It may have had more of an effect upon my team-mates," Torres continued.

"But the truth is, that between the language and the fact that I don't pay much attention to that stuff, or to any of the problems, it hasn't affected me.

Difficult

"Liverpool is a big club that knows how to isolate you from those issues in order to stay competitive."

Torres is currently preparing for Spain's opening match in Euro 2008 against Russia on Tuesday, but he also has his mind on domestic matters.

The 24-year-old surpassed Ruud van Nistelrooy's record for goals scored by a foreign striker in a debut Premier League campaign, but he is wary of the 'second season syndrome' ahead of his return to Liverpool.

"The second season is always the more difficult. People know all about me now, although I know more about my opponents as well," Torres added.

"But there's no doubt that I will have to account for the fact that I am better known from now on."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3669391,00.html

I think he wants some big name players. He's happy that we have stregnthened but I think he was hoping to see a few world class players arriving.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Torres- Reds must spend
      Reply #1: Jun 09, 2008 07:27:19 pm
      We all know there is a need to spend big! but the club ain't got no cash to spend as big as we want; no thank to the owners. Sell & buy will  have to do; Sell and Buy the relevant and required players.

Sell Crouch for 10 million and add money to buy Villa.

That type of buying and selling.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Jun 09, 2008 07:59:18 pm
      everyone seems to be hooked on buying villa but it cant judge as ive never seen him play properly,

is he really THAT good?
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #3: Jun 09, 2008 08:41:36 pm
      Torres has just added himself to Carra and StevieG asking publicly for more funds to sign world class players...

All it needs now is Pepe to do the same and that will be our entire spine asking the Yanks to free up some transfer kitty cash for class...

I think the only way proven-class is joining this club is by way of a Xabi+Crouch exit to fund it.

Sad times lads.

Thanks Parry!
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #4: Jun 09, 2008 09:02:37 pm
      United and the Glaziers are in as much debt as us and the yanks but they capitalise in the merchandise market and make funds available that way.

Rick Parry has just as much to answer for as the yanks for lack of funds this season .
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #5: Jun 09, 2008 09:06:18 pm
      everyone seems to be hooked on buying villa but it cant judge as ive never seen him play properly,

is he really THAT good?
      He will be playing tomorrow against russia @5 oclock watch it and make your own mind up mate
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #6: Jun 09, 2008 10:04:53 pm
      Villa is not strong enough for the premier league for F**k sake will people get it into their thick F***ing heads about this

They only finished 6th last season and their best player wants to come to us!!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,657 posts | 6951 
      Reply #7: Jun 09, 2008 10:08:45 pm

And who finished 7th the season before and their best player (with a pathetic 15 goals) came to us?

Answers on a postcard.

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #8: Jun 09, 2008 10:16:05 pm
      What prags? Have you seen the lad play...???? His finishing is 2nd to none - his goals to chances ratio season-in, season-out is amazing...

How can I say bollocks politely?

You can't prove you are up to the Premiership until you play it in... many (me included) doubted Torres for our league... and look how good he has become...

Villa's finishing is EVEN BETTER than Fernando's....

Anyway we are talking crap, because at EUR 40M the only team buying him are the Chavs (once Drogba goes to Inter with Maureen).

I.R.W.T.

[/quote]
      Villa is not strong enough for the premier league for F**k sake will people get it into their thick F***ing heads about this

« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2008 10:18:33 pm by donrafael »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Jun 09, 2008 10:21:49 pm
      He will be playing tomorrow against russia @5 oclock watch it and make your own mind up mate

alright will do, cheers mate, was wondering when spain were playing!
      Redhead
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 93 posts |
      Reply #10: Jun 09, 2008 10:57:45 pm
      Fernando knows that . We know it,  but the yanks are clueless

But just by chance we did manage to get a few bob and Raffa decides to go fishing in Spain again id prefer he went for David Silva instead of David Villa , we need top top quality out wide and the kid is class  much prefer a wide man than anoher striker at the mo because its were we are lacking in my opinion.

But unless hes on a Bosman i can only wish. I really cant see us coming up with the readies to sign any top quality like we did with Fernando. I hope im wrong though

The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #11: Jun 09, 2008 11:31:14 pm
      You lot lost the plot on my joke lmao

Villa as in Aston ffs cmon peeps was it that bad sheesh!!!!!!!!!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,039 posts | 3352 
      Reply #12: Jun 09, 2008 11:45:59 pm
      Look folks, please wake up. My opinion on the yanks, parry and moores are more than clear but stop laying blame for everything on them.

We've signed this Italian fella for eight million, we're likely to sign Barry for a minimum of twelve million, there is twnety million straight off. No other club has spent as much. Before people jump on the "net profiit" bandwagon about Alonso's transfer and that, it's still twenty million. It's still twnety million on players we are NOT desperate for. We have the best under 21 left back in the world by all accounts, so why not give him a go. By his age Ashley Cole was a regular for Arsenal and I don't rate Cole as highly as Insua at the same age to be fair. We're spending twenty million on a player who is coming to play in our strongest position once the Olympics are over and done with.

So there's twenty million unecessarily spent, how about we keep it and bring in someone we do need. Another top class forward to partner or replace Torres if injury hits. Or a top class winger to come in and give us that extra width and pace in attack. It's not that we don't have the money, it's we're affraid to bring in a player who is drastically needed. Instead we sure up another half decent player in a position we're already good enough in. Take the left back position Insua, Aurelio, Riise (if still here) Arbeloa, Carra (if down to the bare bones) and Threlfall (if he's not sent out on loan again) are more than capable of playing there. Why need another left back when our right wing compiles of Kuyt (natural forward) Benayoun (a lesser version of Garcia) Pennant (hit and miss) Gerrard (natural centre mid) and Babel (played left wing mainly). The math is obvious a right winger is more neccessary than a left back or central midfield. So I'm not blaming anyone here but Benitez, he knows the squad and he must be able to see a left back is not our most desperate position.

I've seen us linked with Steve Harper, Maik Taylor and some third rate French keeper...yet the right wing is still neglected. Money isn't the issue here, it's who the money is being spent on.
      Koppite_1985
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #13: Jun 10, 2008 12:03:37 am
      Villa IS THAT GOOD. tho would have to work hard to adapt to epl but i reckon he'd make it. saw him few times when i was stayin with family in spain.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: Jun 10, 2008 09:33:49 am
      Look folks, please wake up. My opinion on the yanks, parry and moores are more than clear but stop laying blame for everything on them.

We've signed this Italian fella for eight million, we're likely to sign Barry for a minimum of twelve million, there is twnety million straight off. No other club has spent as much. Before people jump on the "net profiit" bandwagon about Alonso's transfer and that, it's still twenty million. It's still twnety million on players we are NOT desperate for. We have the best under 21 left back in the world by all accounts, so why not give him a go. By his age Ashley Cole was a regular for Arsenal and I don't rate Cole as highly as Insua at the same age to be fair. We're spending twenty million on a player who is coming to play in our strongest position once the Olympics are over and done with.

So there's twenty million unecessarily spent, how about we keep it and bring in someone we do need. Another top class forward to partner or replace Torres if injury hits. Or a top class winger to come in and give us that extra width and pace in attack. It's not that we don't have the money, it's we're affraid to bring in a player who is drastically needed. Instead we sure up another half decent player in a position we're already good enough in. Take the left back position Insua, Aurelio, Riise (if still here) Arbeloa, Carra (if down to the bare bones) and Threlfall (if he's not sent out on loan again) are more than capable of playing there. Why need another left back when our right wing compiles of Kuyt (natural forward) Benayoun (a lesser version of Garcia) Pennant (hit and miss) Gerrard (natural centre mid) and Babel (played left wing mainly). The math is obvious a right winger is more neccessary than a left back or central midfield. So I'm not blaming anyone here but Benitez, he knows the squad and he must be able to see a left back is not our most desperate position.

I've seen us linked with Steve Harper, Maik Taylor and some third rate French keeper...yet the right wing is still neglected. Money isn't the issue here, it's who the money is being spent on.

Didnt Chelsea sign a RB that is called 'average at best' for 16.8 million?

Also our wingbacks, especially left, are of same concern to our wings. Riise = sh*t! Aurellio is injure datleast 2 times a season and Insua is too inexperienced. Riise is out the door so Dossena was a must mate.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,039 posts | 3352 
      Reply #15: Jun 10, 2008 12:29:05 pm
      Chelsea needed a right back as Ferrarir and Belletti are little less than useless.

I love the "he's to inexperinced" arguement. How do you expect players to get experince? You can wait till a player is 27, if he doesn't have the games in the Premiership then he isn't experinced. Put him in, see if he can deal with the pressure. Insua has five first team games for Liverpool. Dossena has none. Who's more experinced with Premiership life?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #16: Jun 10, 2008 02:27:22 pm
      Chelsea needed a right back as Ferrarir and Belletti are little less than useless.

I love the "he's to inexperinced" arguement. How do you expect players to get experince? You can wait till a player is 27, if he doesn't have the games in the Premiership then he isn't experinced. Put him in, see if he can deal with the pressure. Insua has five first team games for Liverpool. Dossena has none. Who's more experinced with Premiership life?

Dont take it out of context, Dossena has played on the international stage and plenty of seasons in SerieA. I'm all for Insua getting more game time but for him to be a liability in that position wont make us contenders. If Aurellio is out half the season and Riise is out the door we have Insua and who else? No one.

With the Chelsea situation, they spent 3.7 million for a guy who was clearly never good enough in Belletti and Ferreira was signed for 13.2 million when all he does is sit on the bench. Considering our 2 biggest defensive signings of 5 and 6 million have been revelations in the English game to date. Now when they bought Ferreira and Belletti, they had Glen Johnson who was hyped up by their own club but was never given a decent crack and Mario Melchiot who at that time was still playing solid footy. Thats uneccessary spending, we are simply covering our positions.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,039 posts | 3352 
      Reply #17: Jun 10, 2008 02:58:56 pm
      fair enough I did take it out of context, just being picky, but EVERY player is inexperinced until they get the games. We have Arbeloa and Carra to fill in at left back if we get to our bare bones as well as Robbie Threlfall. I think there was enough cover at left back before Dossena's signing.

I think we're over covering certain positions yet leaving ourselves short in others. Torres breaks his leg opening game of the season, we've got a tussle between Kuyt and Voronin with the small posibility of Nemeth pushing for a place on the bench. I say small because if he's not prepared to put Insua in, he certainly won't put Nemeth in.

I know the transfer window hasn't officially opened yet and there's plenty of time for us to sign players for the more urgently needed positions but with little money coming from the top I think 8 mill on a left back and at least 12 mill on a centre mid isn't necceassary. We need someone to either partner or replace Torres much more than someone to replace Riise.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #18: Jun 10, 2008 03:11:10 pm
      I say prioritise. We need wingers before strikers. We have Ryan in case something, god forbid, happens to Nando and by buying a LM and RM we're adding balance.

Agree with your 'leaving ourselves short' remark very much.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,039 posts | 3352 
      Reply #19: Jun 10, 2008 03:21:22 pm
      We need quality wingers though, I mean look at last year Kuyt and Babel are both out an out forwards while Pennant and Kewell weren't used as often (injuries didn't help obviously). If we're signing a winger then it has to be a winger to play on the wing.

Quick Reply