Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

John Arne Riise - Player Thread

Read 35732 times
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Re: John Arne Riise - Player Thread
      Reply #253: Jun 17, 2008 11:47:40 pm
      Risse going to Roma for 5 mill which I was not expecting it's good business by Rafa to get 5 mill I thought 3 at most but what do I know. Last season wasn't a good one for JAR and from what I've read he didn't think he got a fair shake in Rafa's teams although I think he did not have a good season and a guy that struggles will always be on the bench more if he's not playing well. Thanks for the memories even the one against Chelsea and the shame is you'll probably always be known for that rather than all the one's you scored for us....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,673 posts | 6966 
      Reply #254: Jun 17, 2008 11:55:40 pm
      £5 million's not bad for a ginge.

Seriously though, he was never going to be part of a title-winning Liverpool side.  £5 million's a decent amount.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #255: Jun 18, 2008 12:53:44 am
      Riise going for £5 million , good price will be sorry to see him go. Has been a good player for the club and i wish him good luck. (just that one stupid mistake against chelski ).Never Mind that's history now. So all the best.
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #256: Jun 18, 2008 01:16:39 am
      5m seems like a good price for a player for whom we got the best years out of. Hope he rediscovers his goal scoring form for Roma.

At least he has left us with some cracking goals to his name.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #257: Jun 18, 2008 01:16:39 am
      £5 million is a sound amount as far as I'm concerned.

For me, Riise hasn't been a Liverpool player for about two seasons now. And by that, I mean he hasn't seemed to give his all when he's been on the pitch. He's looked tired both mentally and physically.

I remember the days when he used to run all day long and looked sharp. It's nothing to do with the screamers he used to score. But when they started drying up, a lot more people started realising that he wasn't the Riise he once was.

When I've been at the match he's always had my support. But the unavoidable groans have been far too apparent.

That own goal (not the one against Luton) is going to be something he has to live with unfortunately. But I honestly don't think it really had that much significance on us reaching a final in Moscow. We could have gone one nil down at Anfield and he could of scored a last minute equaliser to make it 1-1 going to Stamford Bridge. We still would have been in the same position. So even though that was a bitter blow that seems so fresh in the memory, you can't judge a player for a moment of madness. If anything, I think missing that pen in Istanbul might be more significant...

Good luck to him. And thanks for the memories.

kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #258: Jun 18, 2008 01:22:39 am
      £5 million is a sound amount as far as I'm concerned.

For me, Riise hasn't been a Liverpool player for about two seasons now. And by that, I mean he hasn't seemed to give his all when he's been on the pitch. He's looked tired both mentally and physically.

I remember the days when he used to run all day long and looked sharp. It's nothing to do with the screamers he used to score. But when they started drying up, a lot more people started realising that he wasn't the Riise he once was.

When I've been at the match he's always had my support. But the unavoidable groans have been far too apparent.

That own goal (not the one against Luton) is going to be something he has to live with unfortunately. But I honestly don't think it really had that much significance on us reaching a final in Moscow. We could have gone one nil down at Anfield and he could of scored a last minute equaliser to make it 1-1 going to Stamford Bridge. We still would have been in the same position. So even though that was a bitter blow that seems so fresh in the memory, you can't judge a player for a moment of madness. If anything, I think missing that pen in Istanbul might be more significant...

Good luck to him. And thanks for the memories.

Thats a weird way of looking at his own goal considering one indirectly cost us a final the penatly miss had no baring at all?

The way I look it at is, his own goal was effectivley the last kick of the game. Had he got it away the game would have been over and we would have won 1-0. Simple as.

I don't hold it against him as I'm sure many fans don't. I will remember him more for his thunderbolt against Manu rather than his own goal against Chelski.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #259: Jun 18, 2008 01:42:25 am
      Thats a weird way of looking at his own goal considering one indirectly cost us a final the penatly miss had no baring at all?

The way I look it at is, his own goal was effectivley the last kick of the game. Had he got it away the game would have been over and we would have won 1-0. Simple as.

Weird? Did you read all of my post? How did his own goal indirectly cost us getting to the final? There was still 90 mins of football to play in the second leg. The score was 1-1 going into it and we knew what we had to do. I believe the way we played as a team in the first half of the second leg cost us going into the final - but that's a different matter.

The penatly miss in Istanbul was nothing lost on a team level or personal glory for him. But when was Riise a better player? Pre or post Istanbul?

If you're intent on remembering Riise for the 'simple as' own goal, then that's up to you.

kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #260: Jun 18, 2008 02:06:29 am
      Weird? Did you read all of my post? How did his own goal indirectly cost us getting to the final? There was still 90 mins of football to play in the second leg. The score was 1-1 going into it and we knew what we had to do. I believe the way we played as a team in the first half of the second leg cost us going into the final - but that's a different matter.

The penatly miss in Istanbul was nothing lost on a team level or personal glory for him. But when was Riise a better player? Pre or post Istanbul?

If you're intent on remembering Riise for the 'simple as' own goal, then that's up to you.

Did you read all of MY post? I said I will remember him more for his thunderbolt against Manu than his own goal against Chelski.
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #261: Jun 18, 2008 09:38:51 am
      i have to say that the man utd screamer and the freekick against leverkusen are the 2 that stick in my mind - on his day his left foot could take out the back of nets and break peoples legs

no liverpool fan should remember riise for that split second moment against chelsea, he has been a loyal servant for the reds so he deserves the best respect and future so good luck to him

if stevie g scored an own goal and cost the liverpool the premiership and then was sold (only theoretically touch wood) how would you all remember him?
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #262: Jun 18, 2008 10:16:24 am
      Not once did I say I condemn him or say I will remember him for that goal.

A personal favorite of mine was the half volley against PSV in the 2-0 away win in the CL. He hit that one bloody sweetly. His cracker against Brum in the 7-0 dicking as well wasn't half bad shot either.

Pitty that one from an insane distance against Chelski a season or two back, that is still shaking the cross bar now, didn't end up going in.
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #263: Jun 18, 2008 11:29:26 am
      5 million I suppose isn't bad.  But when you look at what 5 million would buy you in the current transfer market, it does seem pretty low.  He's only 27 and has lots of top experience.

John gave so much to the club and I am extremely grateful for his efforts.  He seemed to try and get extra fit this time last summer, to try and really push on in this past season. 

I've never believed that he was a defender.  And in playing him in defence, we got to see weaknesses exposed. 

If I had been the manager, he'd have competed for the left side of midfield. 

Anyways, all the very best John.  Thanks for the wonderful memories (especially that cracking free-kick against Man Utd!).
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #264: Jun 18, 2008 11:31:28 am
      J.A.R. as been a true ambassador for this club and the 5M we get for him will be put to god use by Rafa I'm sure ! I just hope is next Goal is not Against us !
      Having said that we've probably got the only goalkeeper that COULD stop one of his thunderbolts ! ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #265: Jun 18, 2008 12:03:14 pm
      I hope Riise wont be remebered for his own goal but instead his rocket goals. Scored alot of goals in his time at anfield and i dont think a ingle one of them was a tap in. Wish him all the best if he does move on, and i just hope that we dont face his new team incase he rifled in a shot.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #266: Jun 18, 2008 12:18:51 pm
      if stevie g scored an own goal and cost the liverpool the premiership and then was sold (only theoretically touch wood) how would you all remember him?

If in the very strange and unlikely event that this would happen, I would still remember him as one of the greatest midfielders to have graced Anfield, and with our history that's saying something. How can you judge a players entire career on one event in one match? That'd be ridiculous... like those who say they'll never forgive Riise. Get over yourselves FFS, it's a team game after all.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #267: Jun 18, 2008 12:31:29 pm

Some would view Gerrards own goal in the carling cup final against chelsea as costing us a trophy.

I think its wrong when peole judge a players time at a club based on one bad mistake, everyone makes mistakes but in all honesty how many other left footed players would have actually gotten it clear, i am pretty certain that many players would have scored an own goal then too.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #268: Jun 18, 2008 12:36:37 pm
      Some would view Gerrards own goal in the carling cup final against chelsea as costing us a trophy.

I think its wrong when peole judge a players time at a club based on one bad mistake, everyone makes mistakes but in all honesty how many other left footed players would have actually gotten it clear, i am pretty certain that many players would have scored an own goal then too.

I'm not buying that mate, at this level any player should be good enough to at least just hoof the ball anywhere with their weak foot, which is all Riise had to do & it was full time. I don't base my assessment of Riise on that one moment anyway, that was just the icing on the cake, I'd been saying for a long while before that he was no longer good enough for us.
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #269: Jun 18, 2008 12:45:03 pm

I think its wrong when peole judge a players time at a club based on one bad mistake, everyone makes mistakes but in all honesty how many other left footed players would have actually gotten it clear, I am pretty certain that many players would have scored an own goal then too.
      what nobody ever mentions, is that if our offensive minded players had kept the ball up at Chelsea's corner flag, our defenders wouldn't have had that final attack to deal with.  I think that we have very poor leadership on the pitch at times.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #270: Jun 18, 2008 12:51:16 pm
      at this level any player should be good enough to at least just hoof the ball anywhere with their weak foot.

True, especially someone with the amount of experience he has
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #271: Jun 18, 2008 01:56:04 pm
      anyone not think that were selling him for too cheap? 3.9m? I think he has improved largely since coming and we bought him fo more than that
      lfcreds27
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts | -5 
      Reply #272: Jun 18, 2008 02:00:11 pm
      anyone not think that were selling him for too cheap? 3.9m? I think he has improved largely since coming and we bought him fo more than that

Good point but of late he was been rubbish and seems unable to score now, keeping the Kop from singing his great song.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #273: Jun 18, 2008 02:02:08 pm
      Good point but of late he was been rubbish and seems unable to score now, keeping the Kop from singing his great song.

fair enough and i do agree that we should sell him but iam just annoyed slightly by the price
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #274: Jun 18, 2008 05:30:44 pm
      well this thread is now finished lmao he is being signed by Roma and its offcial according the Roma
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #275: Jun 18, 2008 05:45:35 pm
      well this thread is now finished lmao he is being signed by Roma and its offcial according the Roma

Is the 3.9 mill confirmed as the price yet

Quick Reply