Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

Beat the Mancs to 20

Read 5612 times
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Beat the Mancs to 20
      Jun 28, 2008 11:51:24 am
      I'm not sure whether to put this in here, or the General Football Forum.. but here it is, in the Kop, the heart of this forum.

As you all know, Liverpool are the greatest team in English Footballing History, Our history is amazing.. but Man U are closing.
      Not for our 5 European Cups.. But for our 18 Premier League titles. As you probably know, we have won an amazing 18 Premier League titles, but the Mancs are closing, I believe this years title brings their tally to 17.

If we beat the Mancs to 20, then they won't have much to crow about, as we would surely stay ahead of them for years to come.
      I feel that it is extremely important to focus on the Premier League, this and next season in the hope of reaching 20 Premier League titles.

We need money for this and hopefully Hicks + Gillett wil provide money for Rafa to use to buy players who will win us the Premier League. Rafa will be staying at Liverpool for a while IMO, his signing of lots of young talent seems to indicate that he wants to be here in another 5 years time, and lead Liverpool to glory with those players. I think that we will be a real force when these players develop into our first team, players like Insua, Nemeth etc.

But I do feel that we need now to buy players, who will win us the league in the next 2 or 3 years, and lead Liverpool through a bit of a golden age. Where we can say ""Kop that Man U" we're still the most successful club in England, AND the best club at the moment on the pitch". I want Liverpool to be the team to beat, the big favourites, the scary team, that everyone dreads facing.

We haven't won the league since the 89-90 season, and I feel that the next 5-10years need to bring Liverpool dominance. In the past 13 seasons only three different clubs have won the Premier League titleā€”Manchester United (eight times), Arsenal (three times) and Chelsea (twice). No Liverpool! Iwant the next 13 years to have around 5 Liverpool titles, preferably 2 or 3 of the next 5 years.

We are a great team who deserve more than we are getting in the Premier League lately.

Please, please Gillett and Hicks, or whoever, back Rafa, because he is a genius, and if he is given financial support he will bring Liverpool the league. IRWT
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: Beat the Mancs to 20
      Reply #1: Jun 28, 2008 12:21:11 pm
      I'm not sure whether to put this in here, or the General Football Forum.. but here it is, in the Kop, the heart of this forum.

As you all know, Liverpool are the greatest team in English Footballing History, Our history is amazing.. but Man U are closing.
      Not for our 5 European Cups.. But for our 18 Premier League titles. As you probably know, we have won an amazing 18 Premier League titles, but the Mancs are closing, I believe this years title brings their tally to 17.

If we beat the Mancs to 20, then they won't have much to crow about, as we would surely stay ahead of them for years to come.
      I feel that it is extremely important to focus on the Premier League, this and next season in the hope of reaching 20 Premier League titles.

We need money for this and hopefully Hicks + Gillett wil provide money for Rafa to use to buy players who will win us the Premier League. Rafa will be staying at Liverpool for a while IMO, his signing of lots of young talent seems to indicate that he wants to be here in another 5 years time, and lead Liverpool to glory with those players. I think that we will be a real force when these players develop into our first team, players like Insua, Nemeth etc.

But I do feel that we need now to buy players, who will win us the league in the next 2 or 3 years, and lead Liverpool through a bit of a golden age. Where we can say ""Kop that Man U" we're still the most successful club in England, AND the best club at the moment on the pitch". I want Liverpool to be the team to beat, the big favourites, the scary team, that everyone dreads facing.

We haven't won the league since the 89-90 season, and I feel that the next 5-10years need to bring Liverpool dominance. In the past 13 seasons only three different clubs have won the Premier League titleā€”Manchester United (eight times), Arsenal (three times) and Chelsea (twice). No Liverpool! Iwant the next 13 years to have around 5 Liverpool titles, preferably 2 or 3 of the next 5 years.

We are a great team who deserve more than we are getting in the Premier League lately.

Please, please Gillett and Hicks, or whoever, back Rafa, because he is a genius, and if he is given financial support he will bring Liverpool the league. IRWT

It's what we all want. And I've got every faith that it's what we're going to get in the coming years.

First up, we have a manager who will see faults in everything and build on even the greatest of successes. We could have smashed AC Milan 8-0 in 2005 and Rafa would still have pulled someone up for not making it 9! :D

We also have (in mine and many others' opinions) one of the strongest midfields going. Steven Gerrard and Mascherano strike fear into many players hearts. And the greatest striker we've had for many a year. And then we have the link up play between Gerrard and Torres. They're almost telepathic! :D

We've got squad players to rival the best of them. A lot of us debated the arrival of Yossi Benayoun yet he's came in and netted two hat-tricks, no problem. Not many teams can boast a squad player as clinical as that! ;)

The defense we have lets us breath easy when most teams are attacking. Carragher, Skrtel and the soon to return Danny Agger!

Rafa's building around this solid spine too. Full backs and wingmen are imminent. It's brilliant when you think back that Rafa rarely makes a mistake, and if he does they're redeemed instantly!

I've got that feeling again. Except this time it's not 'will we be strong enough to win the league?' It's 'this is our best chance to win the league!' Now let's enjoy the summer and then get cracking sharpish in August. This is our time! 08-09 is Liverpool's season! ;)

IRWT
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2: Jun 28, 2008 12:30:30 pm
      Hence my backing for Barry and Bentley to come in.

This may sound idiotic but screw the CL, we have done that. We want the Prem. and need not only talent from abroad but those guys that have been in this league for many a years and know it inside out. Barry is that guy. Bentley, he has grown up following this league, playing in this league and knows what to do.

30 million may seem over the top for these 2 players combined but money talks. Sometimes you have to put your ego in your back pocket and bite the bullet. Carrick and Hargreaves cost over 40 million combined, you ask yourself, 'they arent worth it, no way!' and i agree with you but what has happened, those Manc bas**rds are off with the CL/Prem double.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #3: Jun 28, 2008 12:33:04 pm

This may sound idiotic but screw the CL, we have done that. We want the Prem. and need not only talent from abroad but those guys that have been in this league for many a years and know it inside out. Barry is that guy. Bentley, he has grown up following this league, playing in this league and knows what to do.

30 million may seem over the top for these 2 players combined but money talks. Sometimes you have to put your ego in your back pocket and bite the bullet. Carrick and Hargreaves cost over 40 million combined, you ask yourself, 'they arent worth it, no way!' and I agree with you but what has happened, those Manc bas**rds are off with the CL/Prem double.

Problem being now, with all this debt against us, is that having a mentality which says screw the Champions League, or the Prem, or any individual competition is now impossible.

We need to progress as far as possible in all competions, just to stay afloat! :-\
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #4: Jun 28, 2008 12:34:20 pm

30 million may seem over the top for these 2 players combined but money talks. Sometimes you have to put your ego in your back pocket and bite the bullet. Carrick and Hargreaves cost over 40 million combined, you ask yourself, 'they arent worth it, no way!' and I agree with you but what has happened, those Manc bas**rds are off with the CL/Prem double.

What you said about the Champions League is also my opinion, but I thought it is stupid to think like that and told myself I was being dumb.
      But the premier League must be our numberone goal next season. Bentley and Barry would not take time to adapt into the EPL and would probably add to our squad. But Rafa is a genius and knows who he needs and wants, so IRWT.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #5: Jun 28, 2008 12:38:01 pm
      Problem being now, with all this debt against us, is that having a mentality which says screw the Champions League, or the Prem, or any individual competition is now impossible.

We need to progress as far as possible in all competions, just to stay afloat! :-\

Yeah mate definately. Not saying forget the CL altogether but cant keep relying on our progress in the CL to make our season look reasonable. I would happily get knocked out in the last 16 if that meant Prem. glory.

I know someone will come on here saying with their red tinted glasses, 'We are Liverpool, we should go for all' but sadly our history means nothing if we were to go on without the Prem. crown.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #6: Jun 28, 2008 12:46:39 pm
      Yeah mate definately. Not saying forget the CL altogether but cant keep relying on our progress in the CL to make our season look reasonable. I would happily get knocked out in the last 16 if that meant Prem. glory.

I know someone will come on here saying with their red tinted glasses, 'We are Liverpool, we should go for all' but sadly our history means nothing if we were to go on without the Prem. crown.

I echo your sentiments fully mate! :D

The Premier League is our number one priority, no doubt about it. That doesn't mean to say that I wouldn't enjoy a nice treble aswell! ;) (Just in case Rafa's reading! :D)
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,714 posts | 3719 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #7: Jun 28, 2008 01:07:05 pm
      Liverpool is history. history is liverpool. Manure can never be bigger than us 'cos they are bullshit!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #8: Jun 28, 2008 01:27:54 pm

Re-think that mate. We're going to be around for a long, long time. :D
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #9: Jun 29, 2008 02:30:47 am
      Re-think that mate. We're going to be around for a long, long time. :D
      Yes crouchhino, probably until hell freezes over.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #10: Jun 29, 2008 04:11:36 am
      Yes crouchhino, probably until hell freezes over.

Hell is red for a reason mate ;)
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #11: Jun 29, 2008 09:24:48 am
      Never thought of that Crouchinho.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #12: Jun 29, 2008 10:04:10 am
      I will probably incur the wrath of crouchino but I happen to be one of those posters who believe we should go for the lot,If you aim for 2nd,3rd or 4th best that is probably all you will achieve.Believe me I would love to see us win the premier league if only to keep th bashers off RAFS back but with Tom and George running Anfield we certainly need the money a good run inthe champions cup brings.So sorry to say but I reckon go for the lot and better still win the lot.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #13: Jun 29, 2008 11:10:28 am
      I dont disagree with that thought although, we dont have the team to do it. We have a great first string but when you look at our bench bringing off it Voronin, Pennant, Crouch, Kuyt and Lucas compared to Scum and Chelski's, you realise how far off we are.

In say 5 years time, i think that clean sweep mentality will be acceptable but for now its one step at a time, IMO that is.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #14: Jun 29, 2008 06:41:46 pm
      i would be happy with 2nd in the prem, got to a couple of finals and won one, it would show progress, what ireally want is to win the champs league again in our spiritual home....ROME
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15: Jun 29, 2008 10:11:05 pm
      You do realise that when we win our 19th that we we will be told that its Liverpools 1st premier league title and not our 19th championship  :f_steam:
      MsGerrard
      Reply #16: Jun 30, 2008 10:32:07 am
      You do realise that when we win our 19th that we we will be told that its Liverpools 1st premier league title and not our 19th championship  :f_steam:

The first of many though Brian  ;)
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #17: Jul 02, 2008 09:39:26 am

I'll just point to the rest of the leagues we won. When it was footballing ability only, rather than a bit of financial muscle on the side too! :D
      thekopster
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -5 
      Reply #18: Jul 02, 2008 01:57:05 pm
      we just have to beat the mancs to 20
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,113 posts | 3368 
      Reply #19: Jul 02, 2008 02:30:27 pm
      alright boys and girls I'm back from me holiday with me bird and first thing I read is down to we need money...things obviously don't change.

As everyone knows I don't buy into the money arguement because I don't want to try and answer the awkward questions when the time is right. For example can anybody answer me this...when Liverpool win the league this year (without outspending chelsea, united, probably city and spurs as well) can we take it that it's only a fluke because obviously we couldn't win the league by spending less could we? Second awkard question, if we do win it this year (without spending as much as others) what's the excuse for the previous four years were we haven't even came close? Final awkard question, why is it money only seems to excuse us from failing but none seem to praise for us achieving better than those who do outspend us? People happily forget that we haven't spent as much as much as Spurs or Newcastle in recent years but we've finished above them both every year under Benitez. So obviously we can finish above sides who outspend us...but because the sides who finish above us also outspend us it's down to money. Well forgive me but I think the whole debate of money is a waste of time.

As for beating the Mancs to 20, I think we'll easily do it because Man City are nowhere near 20 league titles. People seem to forget that there's two sides in Manchester. As for the othe side in Manchester, what difference does it make if we reach 20 titles before them or not. We need to concentrate on taking one at a time and if we get 20 titles before Man Utd then well done us, but if we don't then it's not the end of the world.
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Re: Robbie Keane (Spurs)
      Reply #20: Jul 03, 2008 11:10:36 am
      I think Rafa wants to bring in some experienced successful premiership stars from average clubs.

Have a look: Barry who has been consistent in the league
                        and now Keane who has a very good goalscoring record with numerous clubs in this league
      He wants to give top priority to the league over CL next season-hopefully!
      I really do hope so,if we dont step up and perform the way we should we will see the mancs lifting the PL trophy again and probably beat us to 20.If we dont win the PL this season then i would like to see Rafa step down.
      Kopkingo
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 70 posts |
      Reply #21: Jul 03, 2008 12:12:28 pm
      I really do hope so,if we dont step up and perform the way we should we will see the mancs lifting the PL trophy again and probably beat us to 20.If we dont win the PL this season then I would like to see Rafa step down.

What? You serious?
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #22: Jul 03, 2008 12:17:01 pm
      What? Shandaman is on something. Why would Rafa leave a club, who he is building towards years of success.
      The Premier League will only be ours this season if we make a few key signings.
      But why should Rafa go? Ferguson was shocking at Man U, and eventually became better, and is now supposed to be the greatest manager.
      Give Rafa tim and he WILL lead Liverpool to glory.

Quick Reply