Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Are we title contenders?

Read 88772 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Are we title contenders?
      Reply #23: Aug 17, 2008 07:50:30 pm
      Still too early. I think we will continue to get the wins the way we did with sunderland until we begin to crush teams and get the win convincingly.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #24: Aug 17, 2008 08:30:54 pm
      All the Experts have as one written us off for the title and going by the way thing's have panned out over the last few years they may be right and then I look at Rafa and with the window still open he may bring in one or two players who with our returnee's from the Olympics just may add to our squad, and then with a little luck who knows. Rafa broke the stranglhold that Barca & R.Madrid had in Spain so why not here, if anyone can do it Rafa can.

I look at the team this season and think no width but lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet as we have untill the 31st of August to remedy that + we have one wide player in China who will be back any day now, we have a good mix of youth & experience and two excellent strikers and one of the best captains in the EPL and now all we need is for the players to start getting their confidence which I hope the Sunderland game did for them and an injury free season and anything can happen even us winning the league.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #25: Aug 17, 2008 08:56:28 pm
      Yes but its whether or not the team can stay consistant and start turning the draws into wins.

I think a defining match for our league season is going to be when we play United in October, if they can take advantage of the fact United wont be at full strength and wont have their best player. We are currently 2 points ahead of the Mancs and the chances are they will win their next few games so if we can too and keep that 2 point gap and then go and beat them to extend it to 5 points then we will be considered as a real force this season, especially if we best Chelsea in a few games time too. Also Chelsea play United fairly soon too so at least one of them (hopefully both) will be dropping points which if we win and beat them both would put us in a great position.

The key times will be the Chelsea and Manc games soon, Christmas and middle of April. If we are in a really good position for the title at them times then I believe we CAN win it.

BUT CONSISTENCY IS THE KEY (something we have lacked)
      « Last Edit: Aug 17, 2008 09:02:01 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      RedArmy96
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 96 posts | -1 
      • What we achieve in life, Echoes in eternity
      Reply #26: Aug 18, 2008 01:22:56 am
      We need to be close still come November. Previous years weve been 6 points behind by October, we need to keep up and at some stage hit the front, hopefully come May ;)
      el nino9
      • Forum John Barnes

• 417 posts |
      Reply #27: Aug 18, 2008 09:20:16 am
      Lets all not be too downhearted with things and realise that we are title contenders!!!!

Let's not be pesimistic after week 1 just because we didn't smash sunderland. Remember:-

1) It's been a stormy summer with the board and transfer sagas in the background
      2) Some players have been at Euro 2008
      3) Key players are in Beijing
      4) Sunderland had strenghthened their squad Steed malbranque for instance, he is no soft touch
      5) It was the first game of the season, look what happened to United
      6) New players and partnerships are still coming together

We just need a few more wins over the next few games, get off to a good start. If we beat United then that will be one of the biggest signs especially as it is four games into the Season!!!!

Heads up everyone!!
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #28: Aug 18, 2008 10:40:40 am
      I think that we have an outside chance of landing the League. My moneys on the Chavs this year, I thought they blew it last season, home wins against Wigan and the mighty Bolton (  :lmao: ) on the last day would of seen them sneak the title and I can't help feeling that if they had a more cunning manager last year that would of happened!

As for the 'Pool, I'm not too bothered about our performances at this moment in time! We need to keep winning and just getting results. When we get our Lads back from the Olympics and the new boys have had about 5 league games under their belts we can expect to see a more fluid team and more of the quite fantastic football that we seen glimpses off through out last season.

To win the title, and if there isn't too be any more additions to our squad, we need two full backs and two wide players who are going to stand up and nail these positions as their own. If not I can seriously see the "Stevie G playing on the right side of midfield" thread getting a Bump to the top of this board! If we are still in the shake up with 10 games left to play then we will have a great chance and any thing could happen! I think we will be in that shake up, I think we will finish above Arsenal. I think we will be more than a match for Man Ure this year, but like I said I think Chavski will be the team you will have to finish above to win the league.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #29: Aug 18, 2008 10:51:56 am
      early days for sure, but we have to believe we can go all the way this year.

we played crap against sunderland, and still collected 3 points from a bit of nando magic.  to me that is the key, it's what the scum and the chavs have been doing over the last number of years, playing sh*te and still being able to collect the 3 points.

there is no doubt improvement is needed, and i'm sure it'll come.  but as one of the lads said, consistency is vital.  if we consistently play to the level we're capable of, there is no reason why we cant be having one of the greatest knees up of all time come may!
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #30: Aug 18, 2008 11:04:19 am
      We just need another Winger and here we are..

we are waiting for 19 years ...THIS IS OUR YEAR..
      redandblack
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #31: Aug 18, 2008 02:46:17 pm
      the answer in short is NO...new season but same old rubbish....too many ordinary players and a very negative manager
      el nino9
      • Forum John Barnes

• 417 posts |
      Reply #32: Aug 18, 2008 02:56:21 pm
      the answer in short is NO...new season but same old rubbish....too many ordinary players and a very negative manager

Head up son, that's how the Blue sh*te over the park think, Negative. It will be the same old rubbish from them coz they aint bought anyone!!!
      Start believing, this is Liverpool, this is Anfield.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3368 
      Reply #33: Aug 18, 2008 04:00:00 pm
      I've already said we're title contenders but I'll say it again. We are genuine title contenders this season.

We've got the best keeper in the land in Pepe Reina and from his performances in pre-season Cav looks like he could be the best back up keeper, maybe only to be beaten by Cudicini. But Cav is better than Kuschack an the Polish lad Arsenal have.

Our centre back quartet is the best in the Premiership if not the world. We can bring in Skrtel/Hyypia whereas the other sides can only bring in Brown/O'Shea (Utd) Alex/Essien (Chelsea) Senderos/Djorou (Arsenal)

Same with our central midfield. Comparing Alonso and Lucas to Carrick/Hargreaves or Ramsey/Denilson or Mikel/Ballack. I think all four sides have very good central midfielders but our starting two (Stevie and Masch) are better than anythin else in the world and our two in reserve are as good as what the others can choose from.

Up top, well Fernando Torres speaks for himself. He's the best forward in the world by a country mile. Added to that Robbie Keane, who hasn't hit the heights just yet but he will come good. Then we have a couple of talented youngsters if required.

So again it's the wide areas where we struggle, but Arbeloa is a very good full back, my personal choice would be on the left where I think he's always played better anyway. Babel down the left wing will be a massive boost to us when he returns. Just because our wide players aren't quite as good as Evra/Clichy/Sagna/Ronaldo/Giggs doesn't mean we're that far away. I personally don't feel Chelsea's wide players are that good, the two Coles are massively overrated in my book, Wright-Phillips can't get a game and can't cross, Bosinga don't know him too well so can't judge to much. It's for this reason Chelsea just throw it long it to Drogba and hope Deco/Ballack/Lampard get on the end of it. Yesterday they threw it up to Anelka and again feeded off the second ball.

I think the top four are as good as each other, it comes down to consistantcy, right frame of mind, confidence and luck. Whoever has the most of those four will win the league. If we can consistantly grind out results like the Sunderland game we're contenders. If our mind's right and we don't drop our heads like the Sunderland game we're conteders. If we take confidence from two clean sheets and make it five six maybe seven clean sheets on the spin we're contenders. And most importantly if we can get slices of luck like that fella missin the header completely for Liege we're conteders. Obviously you need ability and we do have it, especially through the middle. But there's other factors which contribute to a title winning side other than ability.

We as fans also need to get right behind the lads. Our performances haven't been great so far this year, but performances don't win you titles, results do and so far our results have been acceptable. If we can continue to grind out tricky results while the players are still gelling then that'll do fine. Once we've got those first four or five wins under our belt and the confidence is flowing throughout the side then our performances will pick up and we'll be playing football that's worthy of winning the Premiership but until then we should be patient and be happy that we're getting the right results. Let's not be too negative in terms of the performances because it sinks down to the players and they then try and play a footballing performance, make a sloppy pass and we lose. Patience is important this year.

Finally we need to concentrate on football this year. If Hicks, Gillett or Parry decide to throw our name out on the back pages for the wrong reasons then we really need to pull together and support the side even more. Let the press say we're not good enough because we know we are. A season of just focusing on football will help us in our quest for that first Premiership title. If results are goin in our favour and we're winning games then the bad press will suddenly stop.

This is our year and it will kick start our dominantion of football again. Come on Reds!!!!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #34: Aug 18, 2008 05:42:06 pm

Well your nice and positive aren't you..........just what we need at the start of the season  :f_steam:

Well done mate, another Rafa basher !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #35: Aug 18, 2008 05:52:22 pm
      I think that as a club we are going forword , and if we dont win the title i think we will be second at worst? Rafa is a great manager but the board must get behind him , he cant do it on is own.
      drawde
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts | -1 
      • Adward
      Reply #36: Aug 18, 2008 07:04:42 pm
      Simply put, I myself do not believe Liverpool have what it takes yet. The team still needs a top-class winger, not strikers converted into wingers (Kuyt), or Attacking Midfielders/Central Midfielders shifted out (Gerrard).

Also, Keane isn't worth 20M. Not even close.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #37: Aug 18, 2008 10:49:08 pm
      We still need a massive improvement in the squad. Especially the following positions:

RB - Arbeloa & Finnan have tried their best. They're above average. Doubt if Degen is a Daniel Alves (Sevilla) or Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid) or even Zambrotta (Barca)

LB - Dossena & Aurelio. Well well well. Eric Abidal (Barcelona) or Chivu (Inter) or Ashley Cole (Chelsea)

LM - A Silva or Pedersen (Blackburn) would be nice Also Robben (Real Madrid)

RM - Quaresma (Porto), Joe Cole, Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Ribery (Bayern), Bentley

If we had qualities like the one listed above, the wings will be perfect.

Right now? We will keep working and jelling together till we become perfect.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #38: Aug 18, 2008 10:50:21 pm
      I thought Jesus Navas was a striker? :-\
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #39: Aug 18, 2008 11:12:13 pm
      I thought Jesus Navas was a striker? :-\

No. He a RM
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #40: Aug 18, 2008 11:12:58 pm
      We still need a massive improvement in the squad. Especially the following positions:

RB - Arbeloa & Finnan have tried their best. They're above average. Doubt if Degen is a Daniel Alves (Sevilla) or Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid) or even Zambrotta (Barca)

LB - Dossena & Aurelio. Well well well. Eric Abidal (Barcelona) or Chivu (Inter) or Ashley Cole (Chelsea)

LM - A Silva or Pedersen (Blackburn) would be nice Also Robben (Real Madrid)

RM - Quaresma (Porto), Joe Cole, Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Ribery (Bayern), Bentley

If we had qualities like the one listed above, the wings will be perfect.

Right now? We will keep working and jelling together till we become perfect.

Good insight about where we could miss out on the wing there solodee. You've mentioned players and I'm sure there is other players who would better the team in certain areas.

My gut feeling after the two games in with both obvious lack of danger out wide plus vulnerable defending, makes me feel no. But I do believe we can play a whole lot better with the team we've got. A whole lot better!

But it's far far too early to be making assumptions. We can only go on how we played last season so far and look at the majority of times we couldn't finish teams off. Keane's been brought in to help with the goals, so surely that means we'll better last season? On paper anyway...

All I'll say right now, is that we have to spread the play out a lot better, defend better and grind out good results without relying on Torres.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3368 
      Reply #41: Aug 18, 2008 11:35:00 pm
      All I'll say right now, is that we have to spread the play out a lot better, defend better and grind out good results without relying on Torres.

Couple of points Kenny, we spread the play quite nicely from what I've seen, it's once it's been spread which is where the problems start hence our desperate need for a winger, something which is very well publicised on here.

Defend better? We've got two clean sheets in two games, can't get better than that. Bit of a piss take because I think our defendin has been shockin, especially against Standard Liege where they won every ball that went into our box without a Liverpool player even challenging. Carra was back to his best against Sunderland something which I fully expected this year. But still two clean sheets and we're grumblin about defending. No pleasing some people :D

As for relying on Torres well in my opinion we should be relying on him, not solely (which I assume is what you meant) but certainly for a lot of our goals. We spent 20million plus on him to score goals, so we should be reliant on him to score them. Fortunately he does. Like I said, it shouldn't be solely left to him because of the talent we've got around him.
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #42: Aug 18, 2008 11:56:02 pm
      Defend better? We've got two clean sheets in two games, can't get better than that. Bit of a piss take because I think our defendin has been shockin, especially against Standard Liege where they won every ball that went into our box without a Liverpool player even challenging. Carra was back to his best against Sunderland something which I fully expected this year. But still two clean sheets and we're grumblin about defending. No pleasing some people :D

Hmm.. Maybe I got lost in translation, didnt really get that, DLS.. ???
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3368 
      Reply #43: Aug 19, 2008 12:00:48 am
      I was just saying we've kept two clean sheets in our opening two games and we still need to defend better. (that was the gist of it anyway)
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #44: Aug 19, 2008 12:04:08 am
      I was just saying we've kept two clean sheets in our opening two games and we still need to defend better. (that was the gist of it anyway)

Got it! ;) :)
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #45: Aug 19, 2008 12:15:24 am
      after seeing our recent performances the answer has got to be yes and no

yes becuase

we have been very fu*ing lucky already

and

no because, we have been s*it already
      basically though , we have got to beat chelsea twice, if manure dont buy a stiker soon they could be out before its started, and the gunner have losttoo many players

Quick Reply