Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 12th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Albert Riera Player Thread

Read 136681 times
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Re: Albert Riera (Winger)
      Reply #69: Sep 03, 2008 01:56:15 am
      According to Lawrenson, hes improved massively since his Man City days, thank god!

All we can from now is hope...And hopefully, its all turns out well, from what i have seen on youtube its looks promising =]
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #70: Sep 03, 2008 01:38:27 pm
      From .tv

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N161159080903-1313.htm

Albert Riera has spoken of his excitement at the prospect of pulling on a red jersey at Anfield. 
      The Spain international will join up with his new teammates tomorrow and could get his Liverpool debut in one of domestic football's biggest fixtures when Manchester United visit Merseyside on September 13.

The 26-year-old said: "I cannot wait to see Anfield and start there. Not only is it a club with a lot of history, but they have great players and a coach who everybody talks very highly of."

Having started his career with Real Mallorca, Riera then joined French side Bordeaux for two years before signing for Espanyol in 2005, where apart from a stint on loan at Manchester City in 2006, he has largely been a first-team regular.

Riera added: "When I arrived at Espanyol I was a kid and now I've progressed as a player at the same time the team has progressed.

"Thanks to Espanyol I've become a full international and now an opportunity has opened itself for me to take a very big step. Liverpool are a club where you are always obliged to play to win.

"I always said that if I left it would be for the best of both parties and to go to a great team. That is the case and I think everybody understands that my departure has been so I can continue growing." 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps a place on the bench at best on the 13th, would be surprised to see him start
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #71: Sep 03, 2008 02:07:18 pm
      Ballague has just said he is one of the best wingers in Europe... jeez that's some compliment.
      redtiptoe
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts |
      Reply #72: Sep 03, 2008 02:19:11 pm
      i think he'll be good for us not the total solution but be good to see a winger playing in there natural postion, and now we could have 2 with babel going right and swithching during the game when needs be.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #73: Sep 03, 2008 03:55:02 pm
      Look he sounds hungry to prove himself and is the best option at the moment and a natural left winger. Just give the lad a break.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #74: Sep 03, 2008 04:00:35 pm
      Ballague has just said he is one of the best wingers in Europe... jeez that's some compliment.

To be fair, if find that Ballagues views on players are usually correct so heres hoping
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #75: Sep 03, 2008 04:14:19 pm
      He seems hungry enough and really wants to be hereso lets hope he turns out to be an amazing buy
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #76: Sep 03, 2008 11:26:16 pm
      Agger turned out o.k. as did Skrtel. Lets hope Rafa's got this one right as well.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #77: Sep 03, 2008 11:29:59 pm
      I think people (including myself) are sceptical about his move because of his fairly unsuccessful spell at City
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #78: Sep 03, 2008 11:32:59 pm
      I think people (including myself) are sceptical about his move because of his fairly unsuccessful spell at City

It was down to City not being able to afford him rather than him being sh*te. Allegedly! ;D
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #79: Sep 03, 2008 11:37:09 pm

I've ignored his spell at city. He was played at left wing back in a very average team, im not suprised he didnt light up the prem.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,202 posts | 3391 
      Reply #80: Sep 03, 2008 11:47:10 pm
      I can't ignore his spell at City for a simple reason it doesn't matter where you're played or what players are around you, if you can't do the simple things yourself, you're not good enough. Unfortunately Albert Riera couldn't do the simple things (pass, control, shot, cross) during his time at City. He was poor at City and I just hope he's found some real form at Espanyol and he's gonna bring that to Anfield because we desperately need a left winger.

I can't say I'm thrilled though, hopefully when he puts that Red shirt on for the first time he'll make me go "wow, what a bargain". Here's hoping.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #81: Sep 04, 2008 12:22:54 am
      I can't ignore his spell at City for a simple reason it doesn't matter where you're played or what players are around you, if you can't do the simple things yourself, you're not good enough. Unfortunately Albert Riera couldn't do the simple things (pass, control, shot, cross) during his time at City. He was poor at City and I just hope he's found some real form at Espanyol and he's gonna bring that to Anfield because we desperately need a left winger.

I can't say I'm thrilled though, hopefully when he puts that Red shirt on for the first time he'll make me go "wow, what a bargain". Here's hoping.

Did you watch him that closely during his spell at City to justify saying he couldn't do the simple things..?
      I'm not even trying to be funny, I'm just asking the question cos i personally didn't see him at all and have no idea how capable he is..
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #82: Sep 04, 2008 12:28:36 am
      Didnt know anyone on here had seen him during his spell at city to be honest. His name brought no reactions from anyone straight away saying i remember him at city. Everyone seemed to say they didnt remember im at city.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #83: Sep 04, 2008 12:38:20 am
      All I can say is that I hope he does his YouTube videos justice, and does us and Rafa proud. If he accomplishes these two things, he's excellent in my books.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #84: Sep 04, 2008 12:38:36 am
      From what's been said by Balague, I'm more concerned about this lads attitude than his abilities.

Apparently Rafa is going to have to be in his face a lot.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #85: Sep 04, 2008 01:17:14 am
      From what's been said by Balague, I'm more concerned about this lads attitude than his abilities.

Apparently Rafa is going to have to be in his face a lot.

Doesnt have an attitude, just lacks confidence at times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #86: Sep 04, 2008 01:29:22 am
      Doesnt have an attitude, just lacks confidence at times

He best sort that out if he's playing for the reds then eh.  ;)
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #87: Sep 04, 2008 02:35:35 am
      He best sort that out if he's playing for the reds then eh.  ;)

Damn right.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #88: Sep 04, 2008 04:05:58 pm
      RIERA: DON'T JUDGE ME ON CITY SPELL

From.tv

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N161171080904-1500.htm

Albert Riera today vowed to prove his worth at Anfield and insisted fans shouldn't judge him on his last spell in English football with Manchester City.

On the day Rafael Benitez unveiled his deadline day signing to the media at Melwood, Riera insisted his game has developed during the three years he has since spent in Spain - and now he can't wait to make an impact on Merseyside.

"That was a different moment," reflected Riera. "I went to Manchester City in January and we were playing for a place in the middle of the table.

"I was 22 but now I have three years more experience and this is very important in football. Since then I have played in a UEFA Cup final and I have played for the national team.

"I am now more prepared to play for a big club like Liverpool and I also know the Premier League.

"I think I am better now. I have made good progress and I want to continue this progress here.

Liverpool beat off competition from rival clubs - including Everton - to land the 26-year old, but Riera insists Anfield was the only destination he was interested in moving to.

"I am happy to be here," he added. "This is the first day with my team-mates. I wanted to come here because of the history, the Champions League, Anfield, the supporters and my team-mates. This is the perfect club for me.

"Espanyol had other offers, not just from Everton, but I told them I wanted to go to Liverpool.

"The most important thing for any player is to go out there to try and win every game. We want to try and fight to win everything, the Champions League, the Premier League and the two cups. These are the things I want."

Competition for the top prizes could have increased following the takeover at Riera's former club on deadline day, but Riera insists everyone at Anfield should just concentrate on their own performances rather than cast an eye down the M62.

"I know what has happened at City but the most important thing for me now is Liverpool," he said.

"They are one team we need to be careful of but we need to look at ourselves. If we do good things we do not need to think about other teams."
      « Last Edit: Sep 04, 2008 08:04:02 pm by Venison 86, Reason: Link added »
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #89: Sep 04, 2008 04:11:46 pm
      Good luck to the lad, baptism of fire coming up....
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,202 posts | 3391 
      Reply #90: Sep 04, 2008 04:21:49 pm
      Did you watch him that closely during his spell at City to justify saying he couldn't do the simple things..?
      I'm not even trying to be funny, I'm just asking the question cos i personally didn't see him at all and have no idea how capable he is..

if you want me to name a particular match then no I can't. If you want the general idea then yes I can say he didn't play that well during his spell at City. I watch football whenever I can (not just Liverpool) and this fella just wasn't up to Premiership football.

As I keep saying though I hope he has matured and become a better player since those days. I have faith in Benitez' judgement and genuinely hope he can sort out our left wing problems. I do have my doubts however.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #91: Sep 04, 2008 04:43:45 pm
      The lad has reassured us he is willing to prove himself so I am more and more convinced he will do well for us.

Quick Reply