Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W0 D1 L2

Rafa keen on anthem switch.

Read 814 times
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Rafa keen on anthem switch.
      Sep 19, 2008 11:24:11 am
      From .tv

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N161365080919-0954.htm

Rafael Benitez is hopeful a tactical switch off the field of play will help Liverpool generate an atmosphere to send shivers down the spines of any side visiting Anfield this season. 
      The Reds boss believes the introduction of the Barclays Premier League anthem has curbed the impact of the club's anthem 'You'll Never Walk Alone' and feels that asking fans to sing the famous song just prior to kick-off will help give his side a psychological edge.

"Before this season we always played the Premier League anthem immediately before games, but some of the players, Sammy Lee and I spoke and we think it is better to have 'You'll Never Walk Alone' instead when the players are on the pitch," said Benitez.

"It used to be played five minutes before the kick-off and the team came out towards the end of the song, but we have reversed the order with the Premier League anthem now.

"We thought it would keep the atmosphere right up until the kick-off and that way the opposition is on the pitch when all the noise is in the ground.

"The supporters are always good, but this might be better. It is something we have been thinking about for a while and the atmosphere has been great when we start our matches."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going to take a bit of getting used to, it was put out over the PA before kick off about delaying it at the request of the Manager and Players. People seemed to get a bit on edge thinking it wasn't going to happen old habits die hard  :-\
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Rafa keen on anthem switch.
      Reply #1: Sep 19, 2008 11:28:32 am
      I think its just a way to get those teams really shitting themselves. Didnt see it coming to be honest but interesting no doubt. Could just possibly work.

I guess it exposes the away team to the atmosphere, well i think thats how Rafa's seeing it.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Re: Rafa keen on anthem switch.
      Reply #2: Sep 19, 2008 11:59:37 am
      Could be good, could be bad, time will tell.

Quick Reply