Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Snooker

Read 177763 times
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,433 posts | 808 
      Re: Snooker
      Reply #1978: May 05, 2024 10:44:41 am
      It's funny how it's possible to favour one player over another for no other reason than body language, or even their face. For example, I don't like Kyren Wilson...no good reason, for all I know he might be the nicest guy in the World. But Jak Jones seems like a decent sort, quiet..goes about his business, yet might be a total sh*t for all I know...or care. Anyway I hope he wins the final....not that I think he will, Wilson makes fewer mistakes and looks totally focussed on not losing....and as we all know we hate losing more than we love winning.

....hows this for an irrational reason to hope Wilson doesn't win....I don't like his shoes!
      « Last Edit: May 05, 2024 01:48:58 pm by Longy-Shops »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #1979: May 05, 2024 11:27:12 am
      Brutal but truthful analysis that by Hendry but he's not afraid to say it as it is. Like he was on the baize, he's the best in front of camera too I believe.

Said it a few times mate that Hendry is my favourite pundit across any sport.

Had a great time at the Crucible thanks! Saw Williams v Si and Day v Hawkins. I would love to do the full two weeks there if I could and had the money! Perfect way to waste some time and annual leave!

Glad you enjoyed it, it's a great place to watch snooker. To do the full fortnight would cost a few bob though.

I noticed the hand shake with Gilbert at the end of the match was pretty quick and curt.

Struck me (without knowing for sure) that there wasn't much love lost there.

I think Gilbert just wanted to get out of the arena mate, which is understandable given how he played in the second half of the match. But there could be something between them, Wilson celebrating the win before he'd potted the pink might have rubbed Gilbert up the wrong way.

I've not heard anyone, in the game, really have anything negative to say about Kyren. There was a little needle between him and Trump but by all accounts that was the media trying to make something out of nothing. It wasn't that they disliked each other, just they were polar opposites in their lifestyles and wouldn't spend time with one another off the table.

He just came across in his interview as one arrogant little tosser and it's not the first time I've felt that way about him. And for somebody who's won one trophy in three years, I thought it was a bit over the top from him.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #1980: May 05, 2024 11:59:09 am
      It's funny how it's possible to favour one player over another for no other reason than body language, or even their face. For example, I don't like Karen Wilson...no good reason, for all I know he might be the nicest guy in the World. But Jak Jones seems like a decent sort, quiet..goes about his business, yet might be a total sh*t for all I know...or care. Anyway I hope he wins the final....not that I think he will, Wilson makes fewer mistakes and looks totally focussed on not losing....and as we all know we hate losing more than we love winning.

It's is weird how we make those decisions based on nothing more than body language as you say.

I'm the same I'd like Jones to win but think Wilson will
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #1981: May 05, 2024 01:02:07 pm
      Well here we are, it's final time.

We're guaranteed a new champion. Possibly the first qualifier since 2005 to do so as well.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #1982: May 05, 2024 01:27:41 pm
      Can't start much better than that Kyren. Total clearance of 129.

1-0 Wilson

(I'm now off for a family meal, so I'm actually gonna miss a lot of this opening session with that and then our match against Spurs)
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,433 posts | 808 
      Reply #1983: May 05, 2024 01:44:53 pm
      That missed blue from Jones is why he won't win the match....Wilson won't miss any of those....He's in the zone as they say.
      ...or that missed black.
      Two frames down so already a mountain to climb...
      « Last Edit: May 05, 2024 01:59:02 pm by Longy-Shops »
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,130 posts | 456 
      Reply #1984: May 05, 2024 01:59:26 pm
      Jones need to settle down.   Doesn't want to give Wilson too much of a start needs a frame on the board and quick.   
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,433 posts | 808 
      Reply #1985: May 05, 2024 02:12:59 pm
      Sorry to say it, but this has got the hallmarks of a thrashing for Jones (...which he doesn't deserve)...He just makes too many errors, and Wilson is on it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #1986: May 05, 2024 02:33:45 pm
      Sorry to say it, but this has got the hallmarks of a thrashing for Jones (...which he doesn't deserve)...He just makes too many errors, and Wilson is on it.

Yep. Wilson in total control.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,433 posts | 808 
      Reply #1987: May 05, 2024 02:34:21 pm
      4-0 to Wilson at the first interval...This match looks already over as a contest...got to feel for Jones, but elite sport is about dealing with pressure as much as skill.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,091 posts | 2123 
      Reply #1988: May 05, 2024 02:51:51 pm
      All very well playing attritional snooker and getting here by bringing your opponent down to your level but you're eventually going to have to come out and play at some point. Jones found wanting badly so far and...well looking like a qualifier.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,433 posts | 808 
      Reply #1989: May 05, 2024 02:58:11 pm
      All very well playing attritional snooker and getting here by bringing your opponent down to your level but you're eventually going to have to come out and play at some point. Jones found wanting badly so far and...well looking like a qualifier.
      Yep.......He's played well to get to the final, but he's also played players who have missed chances...Once the main seeds went out you could see Wilson had one thing on his mind...and that was to win it.
      If it gets to 5 or 6 nil...I'll turn it off...already looking like 5
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,053 posts | 206 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #1990: May 05, 2024 03:05:11 pm
      So does this final run over 2 days (today and tomorrow)?

And does the winner need to hit 18 frames? Been so long since I caught up with snooker.

This Jones fella can't seem to pot for sh*t!
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,433 posts | 808 
      Reply #1991: May 05, 2024 03:40:05 pm
      This could be a tin hat?...sad really, but credit to Wilson it's not his fault Jones has gone to pot (Pun intended)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #1992: May 05, 2024 07:23:04 pm
      First frame of the evening session and the comeback continues for Jones. A very well taken break after a poor attempt at a red from Wilson into the top pocket.

7-2 Wilson.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #1993: May 05, 2024 07:39:27 pm
      And the comeback continues into the tenth frame. Needed two bites at the cherry but after forcing Kyren to play a bad safety, he took the second chance to claim both of the opening frames this evening.

7-3 Wilson.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #1994: May 05, 2024 07:53:47 pm
      A little unconvincing though still made a century and Kyren Wilson has his first frame of the evening on the board. Five frames ahead once more.

8-3 Wilson.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #1995: May 05, 2024 08:27:41 pm
      Both players had good chances in the final frame before the mid-session interval but neither made the most of them. Wilson though got back in after a wild shot from Jones and cleared up with a good 60 break to keep the lead as wide as it was at the start of the evening.

He's halfway to being World champion.

Wilson 9-3.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,053 posts | 206 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #1996: May 05, 2024 08:43:44 pm
      Is the snooker over for today?
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,433 posts | 808 
      Reply #1997: May 05, 2024 08:44:08 pm
      Only way Jones can stay in it is by resisting the temptation to pot the difficult shots, he needs to calculate the risk/return better and start playing safe and wait for opportunities....not easy I know but he's chancing his arm on tough shots against a player who seldom misses, and is so far ahead.
      In truth the damage is already done and he's too far back to realistically challenge.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,053 posts | 206 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #1998: May 05, 2024 09:01:19 pm
      Double red pot from Jonesy!! You love to see it!!

9-4 Wilson
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #1999: May 05, 2024 09:01:31 pm
      Jones wins the opening frame after the mid-session interval. As he's done in most frames he's won throughout this tournament it was a bits and bobs sort of frame.But he got the win and got back to five behind.

9-4 Wilson.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #2000: May 05, 2024 09:15:51 pm
      A careless safety shot from Jones left Wilson in with a long red and despite a few poor positional shots throughout the break, he still went on to score his fourth century of the final and win the frame to extend the lead back to six ahead.

Wilson 10-4.

Quick Reply