Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

The huge Anfield problem

Read 311208 times
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Re: The huge Anfield problem
      Reply #2047: Sep 28, 2014 01:06:48 pm
      Read your post with interest Fowler23, I was at the Middlesborough League cup game last Tuesday night, in the Kop, block 104, quite near the front, it was, as you will know quite exciting towards the end with goals, extra time and of course a massive penalty shoot out,  there was me, singing, shouting, clapping, supporting our team, there were 3 people in front of me, they never moved a muscle, hardly clapped, never sang ANY of the songs, and I'm saying to the lad next to me, it should be a criminal to come on the Kop and not sing any songs....not even YNWA, I'm suspecting they were foreign, but as I heard none of them speak, I'm not sure, it frustrates the hell out of me  >:( why the hell do they bother to go, when they're not even prepared to try ???
      I wanted to bloody shake the lot of them.....now today, I've been back on the Kop, this time in block 304, and for those of you who know Anfield will know its right at the back of the kop, it was absolutely buzzing as you'd expect on Derby Day, yet there were still some people not singing some of the songs....why? Embarrased? don't know the words?
        Should be a cert to sing on the Kop, its part of being on the Kop....would be a tradegy if we ever fully lost that special Anfield atmosphere, cos when it's on full song, its the best feeling in the world......experience it yes.....but for god's sake, join in will you.
      I'll be honest I simply don't get people, I don't know how if the club means so much to you, you stand/sit there and do anything but join in. I'd feel embarrassed if I didn't not the other way around!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #2048: Sep 28, 2014 03:29:47 pm
      Simple way to compare crowds and this includes scouse, wool and tourists is to look at the sh*te atmosphere at the derby yesterday and then compare it to the mad atmosphere at last season's derby.

It's definitely the F***ing tourists fault!!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #2049: Sep 28, 2014 05:05:01 pm
      maybe its the type of person going rather from what part of the country they come from.
      Derby's use to be nasty both on and of the pitch and so they should its that important. Far too many people go to be entertained rather than take part in the experience and immerse yourself for 90 mins in pure tribalism.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2050: Sep 28, 2014 09:21:38 pm
      I'll be honest I simply don't get people, I don't know how if the club means so much to you, you stand/sit there and do anything but join in. I'd feel embarrassed if I didn't not the other way around!

I know what you mean...its a good job some of us don't though isnt it.

Simple way to compare crowds and this includes scouse, wool and tourists is to look at the sh*te atmosphere at the derby yesterday and then compare it to the mad atmosphere at last season's derby.

It's definitely the F***ing tourists fault!!

It might have something to do with the thumping score line though Pete  ;)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2051: Sep 28, 2014 09:36:40 pm
      It might have something to do with the thumping score line though Pete

Exactly Cas.

I'm not exonerating the crowd of any responsibility, they have been poor, but there does seem an overwhelming feeling that we're going to struggle this season. That feeling drags people's mood down and they need a reason to shake that belief. The team needs to offer encouragement that we can actually scale the heights of last season and all they've done so far is compound matters.

We've probably fallen from title contenders to trying scrap it out for 4th, that alone drags the mood down, then when the standard of football is pretty insipid then we can't bash the crowd for not getting over-excited.

For me the crowd is more a stark reflection on the realisation of our combined fears. Play good football, score some goals, offer some scraps of encouragement and the atmosphere may well start to improve.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #2052: Sep 28, 2014 09:47:13 pm
      Look at the make up of the away fans and the passion and noise they bring to the away fixtures often greater than that you get at Anfield.
      This is because they are concentrated in one space together not fragmented around Anfield because of the season ticket system.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2053: Sep 28, 2014 10:04:18 pm
      Exactly Cas.

I'm not exonerating the crowd of any responsibility, they have been poor, but there does seem an overwhelming feeling that we're going to struggle this season. That feeling drags people's mood down and they need a reason to shake that belief. The team needs to offer encouragement that we can actually scale the heights of last season and all they've done so far is compound matters.

We've probably fallen from title contenders to trying scrap it out for 4th, that alone drags the mood down, then when the standard of football is pretty insipid then we can't bash the crowd for not getting over-excited.

For me the crowd is more a stark reflection on the realisation of our combined fears. Play good football, score some goals, offer some scraps of encouragement and the atmosphere may well start to improve.

We were flying high right from the word go last season, pretty well everyone was buzzing for every game, I know, I was there,  and it will go down as one of the very best ever seen at Anfield.
      We are struggling this season, there's no hiding that, when you lose one of the best strikers in the world and have the second best out for several weeks its bound to affect the club.

We all need to be patient and hope it comes good and soon, unfortunately, I'm afraid we won't hit the dizzy heights of last season, we are already playing catch up even at this early stage of the season.

We just need to believe and the crowd needs to get behind Brendan and the lads.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #2054: Sep 28, 2014 10:05:30 pm
      Exactly Cas.

Exactly. The atmosphere against City last season was incredible. Hard to think the fans are that much different now than they were then. Mood is obviously low.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #2055: Oct 05, 2014 12:01:36 am
      This is Dortmund fans today, getting behind their team after their home defeat to Hamburg. They have already lost 4 games in only 7 league matches and currently sitting at the 13th place on table.

This used to be us :(

THIS. IS. WHY. | Best fans in the world after the 0-1 defeat against Hamburg
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #2056: Oct 05, 2014 12:24:25 am
      This is Dortmund fans today, getting behind their team after their home defeat to Hamburg. They have already lost 4 games in only 7 league matches and currently sitting at the 13th place on table.

This used to be us :(

THIS. IS. WHY. | Best fans in the world after the 0-1 defeat against Hamburg

That's amazing support should embarrass our lot who seem to think singing is a sin.

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2057: Oct 05, 2014 12:58:25 am
      That's amazing support should embarrass our lot who seem to think singing is a sin.

and/or those who think that it has to do with the "mood" of the supporters based on the results.  Dortmund are even worse off in their league than we are, and yet their fans get up for it. 

The worst part is how the supporters at the match only react once they're provoked into it.  I think that must have been a record today, the "your support is F**k-ing sh*te" song was out by the West Brom away support at, what, the 12th minute?  And then we sing one song to shut them up and then it's back to the library mode.

If there's any defence of it then you would have to say that one of the issues is that this isn't going on solely at Anfield.  You might expect a library at the Etihad or Chelsea but it's also happening at Arsenal's ground, at the Mancs ground, at Spurs etc.  clubs where the supporters traditionally made their presence loud and clear.

But we're supposed to be different so I don't want to shift blame too much. 

There are a few exceptions.  I've noticed whenever Palace matches are on, their supporters seem to sing throughout the whole match.  Swansea supporters also seem to be really loud consistently.  I wonder if SOS or some other group could make contact with them to see what it is that they're doing right, and how we could implement it.  Just a thought.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #2058: Oct 15, 2014 05:44:25 pm
      http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29624410?SThisFB

Wasn't sure where to put this but wouldn't it be good to get anfield like this and the pricing to be right aswell.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #2059: Oct 15, 2014 07:21:22 pm
      http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29624410?SThisFB

Wasn't sure where to put this but wouldn't it be good to get anfield like this and the pricing to be right aswell.

Interesting read especially this quote from a Dortmund fan

"When I was young, we all watched English football, the Kop and said 'yes, that is what football is all about'," he says.
      "Now, when we go to English football, the stadiums are quiet and we say that it is actually quite boring. If you price people out, you change the atmosphere. If you price people out, it isn't the people's game anymore."
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #2060: Oct 15, 2014 07:58:01 pm
      Interesting read especially this quote from a Dortmund fan

"When I was young, we all watched English football, the Kop and said 'yes, that is what football is all about'," he says.
      "Now, when we go to English football, the stadiums are quiet and we say that it is actually quite boring. If you price people out, you change the atmosphere. If you price people out, it isn't the people's game anymore."

Hits home like a hammer blow doesn't it.
      Maybe it's time to look at bringing back standing at games .
      I know it's a emotive issue ,but,if it's done so incredibly well in Germany why not here ???times have moved on health and safety is at a paramount these days but if you look at the EPL it's a souless bowl isn't it??.
      The dark days of the 70,s 80s are long gone(even though they were some of the best days of my teenage early twenties life ).:-)
      If Germany can police games well in this day and age we should .
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #2061: Oct 27, 2014 04:51:01 pm
      More of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRJzZcrurqo#ws

And there won't be a problem, be nice for it to be the norm rather than the exception to, proud to have stood on the Kop and sung my heart out last week. YNWA
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #2062: Feb 21, 2015 03:23:20 pm
      I thought this was a cracking piece from Gareth Roberts at The Anfield Wrap;

LIVERPOOL: “YOU’RE NOT SINGING ANYMORE”

IT’S a debate that has been going on for years. How do we reclaim The Kop? How do we bring back the famous atmosphere that made Anfield different, that made it special and so revered?

It’s a debate that needs to be had. Yet it’s a debate that always goes the same way. Before we get anywhere, before realistic and achievable solutions are discussed or proposed it breaks down into the age old bullshit: the Scousers v the Wools.

In his match review of the Besiktas game, Gibbo rightly pointed out the moment sections of Thursday’s Anfield crowd delivered the ultimate in ironic statements. After Mario Balotelli had slotted his unnecessarily ‘controversial’ penalty, a section of attendees belted out one of the most cringe worthy of generic football songs: “You’re not singing anymore.”

It’s a small-time chant that has regularly been mocked by Liverpool fans. And here it was, loud and proud within the confines of our ground.

No matter that Besiktas had been followed 2,000 miles by what was probably the most vocal set of away supporters Anfield has witnessed this season. No matter that these fans had (literally) lit up Liverpool with songs, flags and flares earlier in the day. No matter that there was little evidence of the famous Anfield atmosphere for a European night coming from the Liverpool fans for most of the evening.

On the pitch Besiktas were no disgrace either. Organised, efficient, effective, Mario’s late penalty aside it was so close to being the perfect away performance in Europe. Some of their play was, rightfully, applauded by (some of) The Kop.

So why then were so many trotting out a ditty that has been frowned upon for years? Why were this group attempting to take the piss out of a decent team and impressive support in such an unoriginal way? It wasn’t funny, clever or befitting of the occasion.

I can’t get on onboard with the Scouser v Wool fingerpointing that followed. Why? Because I know Reds that live and breathe the club. Know what should be sang and what shouldn’t. Respect the traditions. Know their stuff. They don’t buy The Sun and they’re happy to tell everyone why. They support the ticket prices campaign. Some are from Liverpool and some are from Australia. Some have a purple bin and some don’t.

Put simply, there are those that get it and those that don’t in both camps. A snarling Scouse lad in a North Face telling Henderson he’s sh*te at every turn, calling Rodgers a fraud and then deciding he’s too cool for school to contribute to an atmosphere? Boss that.

An old bloke from Anfield that bangs on about Billy Liddell and Bill Shankly rather than back the current lads wearing Red? Great.

An out of towner singing the wrong words to Scouser Tommy and belting out tactical advice for 90 minutes? Played.

And most of the Anfield Road singing Soccer AM inspired sh*te like ‘Who are yer?’. Just no.

Sadly I’ve witnessed all of the above. And sadly it feels like we’re witnessing the homogenisation of the football crowd. Speak to fans of other clubs. The Emirates is quiet. Old Trafford is quiet. The Etihad is hardly a cauldron of passion. All of the above are witnessing the same transformation. A once vocal, knowledgeable crowd transformed and infiltrated by people who happily wear half and half scarves. Who consume football rather than support it. Who turn up now and again and leave. Who have little interest in rivalries and traditions and generally just ‘getting it’ and instead want the event, the product, the picture for Facebook and the You’ll Never Walk Alone for YouTube.

Time was that Liverpool fans were regarded as ‘intelligent’ about the game. They were collectively seen as different, as funny, as witty, as sharp. All this seems to be dying a slow death. Why? Insert theory here. I’ll offer a few. It’s difficult, verging on impossible to go to the game at Anfield as a group. Groups start songs. Groups are funny. But few big groups are watching the game together at Anfield. For contrast, witness the Reds away from home – especially the more far flung destinations. Loads of fans have travelled as a group, had a bevy, had a laugh and five or six hours later they arrive in good spirits armed with songs. New songs, old songs, funny songs. And they’re belted out with gusto.

Then there’s the price. I moan about it. But I pay it. I waited approaching to close to 20 years for a season ticket in my own name. But there’s no way I can take my son or daughter to the game because of price, practicality and availability of adult-child seats. So I don’t. Where once the likes of my lad might have been schooled in the traditions of the Kop from an early age – for reference my best mate has had a season ticket since he was eight – now he’s unlikely to be going regularly for years to come. If he’s interested by then that is. And by then, maybe ‘you’re not singing…’ and ‘who are yer?’ are the norm rather than the exception.

Meanwhile, tickets that could have blooded the next generation of the clued up Red simply fall into the hands of the highest bidder. Whether that’s via Thomas Cook, touts or elsewhere on the secondary market. The passing down of support through the generations is now a much more difficult task than it’s ever been before.

So what’s the solution? It’s easy to say the atmosphere is crap compared to what it once was but of course it depends on what game is compared to what game. There have been dismal atmospheres down the decades – the football dictates so much. But that point acknowledged there still feels like there has been a deterioration in the basics. Once, not so long ago, almost every player was greeted by The Kop with a rendition of their song during the warm up. This would be duly acknowledged and everyone was happy. Them because they felt liked, us because it felt like they gave a F**k.

Now we have men with microphones delivering team news like a wrestling show. We have theme music. We have a mutant cormorant lurking with intent on the sidelines. And all that has put an end to a long-standing tradition.

The red nets, the old This is Anfield sign, their return was welcome and needed. But maybe we need to get back to some other Liverpool traditions too. Could there be an unreserved section at Anfield? A pay on the day area that could encourage younger, more vociferous groups to congregate and, you know, sing? Is there a way to get more kids through the turnstiles? Should safe standing be given some thought (as opposed to the unsafe standing that goes on now…how are your shins these days?).

Songs. Where have they gone? Where’s the imagination and the wit? Why do you hear them in pubs more than the ground?

What can be done to address all this? What are all the answers? I don’t have them. But what I do know is that letting all this fade away, letting Liverpool and the Kop become just another club and just another stand, would be a crying shame.

You’re not singing anymore? Sadly at Anfield that all too often seems to be the case. And when that singing is *that* song maybe it’s for the best.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/02/liverpool-youre-singing-anymore/
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #2063: Feb 21, 2015 03:45:50 pm
      At the Spurs game last week there was large sections of the Main Stand singing both "Who are yer?" and "You're not singing anymore" (only after we scored mind). I was surrounded by mostly foreigners, 3 German lads to my right who didn't utter a word throughout, two Spanish lads to the left who asked who Sakho was and an Irish lad in front with a Gerrard 8 shirt on, giving it the big one for 90 minutes but didnt know the second line to the Ste Gerrard Gerrard song!

The Who are yer and You're not singing make my skin crawl! They were belted out louder than YNWA in that section that night! They are songs for Chelsea and other faceless clubs. Just look at the way our "fans" are straight on our players backs these days, another indicator that we have mostly become just like any other club.

No f**king clue!

I've given up on it now, there are far too many whoppers at the match these days and lets face it...we've past the point of no return.

Even (the very few) aways I get to these days there are day trippers everywhere, especially the London games!

Pisses me off!! >:(
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #2064: Feb 21, 2015 08:06:33 pm
      The atmosphere against Besiktas was appalling.

If it had been a traditional European night, we could have prompted another goal from the lads and by intimidating the Turks. Some may say 'it's just the Europa League' but remember that match against Roma (fans just pulled the team through that night ) and Barca in the UEFA Cup - that was fantastic so there's no excuse.

These things make a massive difference - we wouldn't have beat Chelsea in 05 if it weren't for the great noise for years full 96 minutes.

What is going on? The fans are really an asset to the team - we need some desperate measures to get us going again.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #2065: Mar 24, 2015 10:08:08 pm
      the atmosphere on Sunday was embarrassing, Pele was asked a corny question at half time about what he thought of the famouse Anfield atmosphere & the United section really took the piss.
      Any others at the game sun? Was in lower Annie rd & I was shocked,
      Imagine how poor it's going to be when more day trippers are getting tickets when anfield is 59,000!
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #2066: Mar 24, 2015 11:07:19 pm
      Any others at the game sun? Was in lower Annie rd & I was shocked,
      Imagine how poor it's going to be when more day trippers are getting tickets when anfield is 59,000!

Was in the Main Stand and totally surrounded by half and halfs, iphones and shopping bags!

Great piece on the Anfield Wrap sums the current problem up perfectly as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/03/half-and-half-scarves-two-team-trash-that-belongs-in-the-bin/?wt=4
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2067: Mar 25, 2015 01:57:33 am
      Was in the Main Stand and totally surrounded by half and halfs, iphones and shopping bags!

Great piece on the Anfield Wrap sums the current problem up perfectly as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/03/half-and-half-scarves-two-team-trash-that-belongs-in-the-bin/?wt=4

Worth mentioning that, in one of their podcasts, The Anfield Wrap noted that it was locals who were a big part of the problem as well, especially in the poor treatment of Raheem.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #2068: Mar 25, 2015 07:19:02 am

Thanks for that, couldn't believe what I was seeing,a group of foreigners where sat by us & they even started chanting attack attack attack with the United fans,
      I phones,selfie sticks,half half scarfs, modern football fans

KING ROBBIE 9
      • Forum David Johnson

• 243 posts |
      Reply #2069: Mar 25, 2015 09:21:48 am
      I completely agree with you guys who go week in week out and do feel your frustration, i don't manage to get to as many games as i'd like to due to the FFP rules my missus has in place and football commitments as i run a little lads team on a Saturday.
      However the last game i made which was besiktas i sang my f-in heart out (when there was songs being sung) you know when you sing so much your head pounds and you can't speak much the next day, along with the wife and my 2 lads (16 & 7) who were also singing their hearts out.
      It actually gives me a goosebumps to sing and to feel part of the KOP and to sing with the hardcore KOPITES which i would so love to be part of on a regular basis.
      I really do not understand the people/fans who go to a game and do not mutter a word and sing along with the KOP, it's kinda like going on a stag due and staying sober!! you just don't do it.
      I can't wait for my next match to once again sing my heart out on the KOP and leave feeling like i have done my part in making the atmosphere what it should be.
       :clap: :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf:

Quick Reply