Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Is ''Cheating to Win'' part of Football? Should it be?

Read 2089 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Is ''Cheating to Win'' part of Football? Should it be?
      Nov 05, 2008 12:32:02 pm
      http://LINK

Gerrard cons referee on night of Champions League surprises...

Let's be frank here, Steven Gerrard conned the referee when he went over like a sack of spuds late on at Anfield last night, in so doing winning his side a penalty and an undeserved draw against Athletico Madrid. The Spaniards' were rightly gutted at the injustice of the penalty award in a game where both teams had more justified claims for spot-kicks.

IF Cristiano Ronaldo had won a penalty in such circumstances we would never hear the end of it, but the fact is, as Gerrard proved last night, English players and the Liverpool skipper in this particular instance are no angels in this respect, far from it.

Sections of the press and many of our numpty fans alike would have us believe that cheating is something that we associate with foreign stars. That notion is complete and utter tosh. The biggest cheat of them all was former Man City and England star Francis Lee ("Lee won pen"), who to this day, holds the record for scoring and winning the most penalties in a season.

I actually believe that as a nation we are dumb regarding our attitude towards winning 'at all costs' because at the end of the day, that is what it is all about, winning. Cheating is part of the game; it's up to the officials to get it right. I have no qualms about calling Gerrard a cheat, because that is what he was last night. By the same token, I see nothing wrong with him trying to earn a point for his team by falling over like Bambi on ice.

We are getting well used to seeing the Scousers take points late on in games, but I seriously doubt their luck will continue throughout the season. They have peaked too soon is my view, they will not win the title or the Champions League; at least that is my gut feeling.

While it came as no surprise to see a dubious penalty award at Anfield, I was pleasantly surprised to see Chelsea being turned over by AS Roma. Mikel will have nightmares for quite some time about that half-hearted challenge that led to one of Roma's goals. Mikel has been poncing around in midfield as if it's his own domain this season, as good a player as he undoubtedly is, I cannot help but dislike him.

It's always nice to see Chelsea being brought down a peg or two; they are not as good as the English media would have us all believe. That said, there's a shortage of really top-class teams in Europe right now, which is why it is possible for even Liverpool to win the competition again.

On a night of surprise results (US election excluded) the biggest shock was reserved for big-mouthed Jose Mourinho and Inter Milan, who were held to a high scoring 3-3 draw by a Cypriot club, Anorthosis Famagusta.

There's been some talk of late that Mourinho might be the one to replace Ferguson when he eventually retires. Personally I'm not sure I want to see Jose bring his brand of 'fear football' to Old Trafford. So what is 'fear football' I hear you ask? That is not allowing your players to express themselves, which is what Ferguson, for all his tactical faults has done down the years, largely in part because he knows no better or different.

While Mourinho has undoubtedly pulled off some great results with his very astute in-game tactical changes, there's a down-side to him and I don't really know if I can stomach his 'me, me, look at me!" self. Though he does bring some comedy value to the table, who will ever forget him calling Wenger a voyeur? And then hiding in the kit-bag in the Chelsea dressing room when he was banned?

It was of course a big night for football, but one result stood out above all others and the quote of the night belonged to a female news-presenter on Sky who said: "...where was you when Barack Obama pulled it off?" Now, that's what I call entertainment...
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ___

There are some who are purist when it comes to the game of football.

The above article touches on some key issues? some of them lame, as a matter of fact. But on the issue of ''Winning at all cost'', Kinda like ''The end justifying the means'', should cheating to win be accepted as part of the game of football?

Feel free to also comment on other issues highlighted in the above article.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: Is ''Cheating to Win'' part of Football? Should it be?
      Reply #1: Nov 05, 2008 12:35:06 pm
      undeserved draw against Athletico Madrid.

Stopped reading there.

I don't read articles with two mistakes in the first sentence.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #2: Nov 05, 2008 12:56:08 pm
      Where's this piece from Solodee? I tried clicking on the link but it didn't work. :( I was just interested to know if this was a serious piece of journalism, or simply some "fans" twisted interpretation on the game last night.

It really is a load of tripe, and the source seems dubious as he even says the American elections ended in a surprise result! If voting for a man who has his head screwed on right is a "surprise" to this person, it explains the rest of it I suppose.

As I mentioned on another thread, IMO there wasn't simulation, there was contact in the penalty area which the referee interpreted as a penalty. There wasn't a "phantom" challenge with Gerrard diving without being touched.

Cheating exists in football, but for me this wasn't a case of it. This was simply a poor refereeing decision.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #3: Nov 05, 2008 02:18:58 pm
      Stopped reading there.

Agreed. We deserved a draw, we played better, but didn't finish our plays.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #4: Nov 05, 2008 03:12:26 pm
      Agreed. We had 22 shots and 7 of them on target. Atletico had 6 shots, 2 on target. We just weren't clinical in front of goal. We just hadn't had luck the pass few games. Hopefully that will change soon.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #5: Nov 05, 2008 04:12:32 pm
      Come on now Solodee - I found where that article came from and it's a Man United blog.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #6: Nov 05, 2008 04:20:32 pm
      That said, there's a shortage of really top-class teams in Europe right now, which is why it is possible for even Liverpool to win the competition again.

Hahahahahaha, brilliant.

Damn, there always seems to be some explanation for us winning things. If we win the league this year it'll be put down to global warming no doubt...  :D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #7: Nov 05, 2008 05:35:59 pm
      i think you need to ask that question to maradonna,and inzaghi for the first goal in athens!!!

you should get you answer.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #8: Nov 05, 2008 09:41:29 pm
      Come on now Solodee - I found where that article came from and it's a Man United blog.

But I said the content in the article was lame. It was just interesting to sample the opinion of members about ''Cheating to Win'' the other things he said were trash.  ;D
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #9: Nov 06, 2008 02:15:33 am
      The first part of the article is from talkaloadof bull.com enough said!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,910 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #10: Nov 06, 2008 06:30:16 am
      Stopped reading there.

JD, I hadn't even read your response but I stopped reading it at the same point as you...what a load of crap  :f_steam:
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2008 06:33:55 am by AussieRed »
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #11: Nov 07, 2008 07:03:48 pm

mmmm ???

cheers jd, you saved me from reading a pile of sh*te there. 
      i tried the link myself ayrton, it didn't work for me either.
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2008 07:08:12 pm by Ard Mhacha Red »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #12: Nov 10, 2008 10:03:36 am
      Stopped reading there.

Hahaha. :)

Quick Reply