Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool's Hard Pubs.

Read 32146 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Liverpool's Hard Pubs.
      Reply #23: Jan 02, 2009 08:10:38 pm
      The Liffe!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!

That's not really a hard pub though Watt, more along the lines of Irish and very drunk people pub. hehe. MsG and AussieRed have also sampled the delights of the Liffe.

Irish and drunk in the one sentence Kenny, you sure  ;D

The liffey bar isnt a hard pub
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #24: Jan 02, 2009 09:07:10 pm
      Used to be nice upstairs years ago

Talk about a contradiction!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #25: Jan 02, 2009 09:08:25 pm
      Yeah the National Express is on Norton Road. And the Odeon has moved to Liverpool1 - looks miles bigger and better! Next time you're here you should go.

Make sure you bring £50 for the tickets, parking, sweets etc....
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #26: Jan 02, 2009 10:18:09 pm

Oi you !!  :lmao:

MsGerrard
      Reply #27: Jan 02, 2009 11:11:34 pm
      The Liffe!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!

That's not really a hard pub though Watt, more along the lines of Irish and very drunk people pub. hehe. MsG and AussieRed have also sampled the delights of the Liffe.

The Liffe was a boss pub, we had a great night there, wasn't the picture that Aussie Red posted in the birthday thread  of you and him Kenny, taken at the Liffe?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #28: Jan 03, 2009 02:14:45 am
      Went in the Bluebell and in the Rose and Crown at the other end of Bluebell Lane.

Somebody got stabbed about an hour after I was in there one night (nowt to do with me folks!)

It's turned in to some kind of eatery now!

Still a boozer, called the Wheatsheaf - to the right, where the old rose and crown bar was, not Mr Q's, is now a chinese, still haven't been in though - used to love the rose in my old college days.

How about The Quiet Man (now shut down) also The Boundary, The Huyton Park and The Hillside - all rougharse Huyton boozers.

And I always thought it was the Liffy (from what I've heard, it can be a bit rough), The Penny Farthing used to be a boss little boozer for starting in before hitting town.

Can believe JD hasn't mentioned the boozer in Prescot, well known for a bad rep!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #29: Jan 03, 2009 02:29:20 am
      And I always thought it was the Liffy

Think it's actually supposed to be the Liffey after the river. But the Y isn't above the door. One thing's for sure, once you walk out of there, you can call it the Loofy, Laffy or even Libby out of Neighbours!

Always have a laugh in that place!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6735 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #30: Jan 03, 2009 02:56:39 am
      The Liffe was a boss pub, we had a great night there, wasn't the picture that Aussie Red posted in the birthday thread  of you and him Kenny, taken at the Liffe?

Think it's actually supposed to be the Liffey after the river. But the Y isn't above the door. One thing's for sure, once you walk out of there, you can call it the Loofy, Laffy or even Libby out of Neighbours!

Always have a laugh in that place!

There you go Kenny mate. I think it has a Y   ;)

MsG, you're right we did have a great night there....as you can see I was abit pissed...picture very blurry.

Kenny as for it being hard....not too sure about that mate...maybe it was because I was surrounderd by MsG and the Lawler clan, I felt quite blind drunk safe  ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #31: Jan 03, 2009 03:00:58 am

There you go Kenny mate. I think it has a Y   ;)

MsG, you're right we did have a great night there....as you can see I was abit pissed...picture very blurry.

Kenny as for it being hard....not too sure about that mate...maybe it was because I was surrounderd by MsG and the Lawler clan, I felt quite blind drunk safe  ;)

Thanks for sorting that one out mate!! You know us scousers say Y after an E anyway though.  ;) And you know you'll always be safe with the Lawlers. The old ghost popped up enough times for Shanks to prove that.  ;)
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #32: Jan 03, 2009 11:16:16 pm
      my dad grew up behind the eagle in woolfall too.....it is a small world
      went in in about 1986, sawdust on the floor would you believe it but real peopel no fakes in there mate

other good pubs

the quiet man (now closed down a few months ago)
      the bluebell    (gone), could buy any drug you wanted in here
      teh hillside (now houses)
      the fusilier (prescot)
      the huyton park.....try going in with a man u top on see what happens to you
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #33: Jan 03, 2009 11:17:40 pm
      We had just been in the Odeon and the pub was very close, pretty sure it was London Rd because we just nipped out and crossed the road to head down toward the coach station.
      he he spencers ....very dodgy, no one allowed in with more than 6 teeth
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #34: Jan 03, 2009 11:23:34 pm
      he he spencers ....very dodgy, no one allowed in with more than 6 teeth

;D, that sounds about right. It was an experience to say the least!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #35: Jan 04, 2009 07:22:27 am
      The Eagle and Child brings back many memories for me as I grew up in that area,I had my first pint in the Eagle at the tender age of 16.I sat by the door watching in case my Dad came in as he would of given me a kick up the ar*e.Just after the war there was big battle and the local lads ran the yanks out of Page Moss and back to Burtonwood.In the 50s and 60s if you asked anyone who went to sea for directions they would say go to the Walkers turn right till you come to the Bents then turn left,carry on and you will come to a Threlfalls and its just over the road from there.I drank in all the pubs in Page Moss over the years,the Bow,Farmers Arms,Hillside,Bluebell,Oak Tree.A good pub was the Albert in Paddington.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #36: Jan 04, 2009 01:45:47 pm
      I'm not really clued up on the hard boozers as none of them are actually hard pubs any more. Just full of knobheads who think they're hard.

It's a stark contrast to days of old when it was proper men who were just out on the ale with their mates. Nowadays it's dick head lads who are literally out on a mission to have a scrap. I'm not glorifying the old ways of scrapping but it's certainly a little rosier than whipping a knife out or smashing a pint glass over someones head. Says a lot when most clubs are edging towards plastic pint glasses and bottles as a rule rather than a choice.

Sound so old don't I? :D
      Premchat
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #37: Jan 04, 2009 01:50:59 pm
      Whats wrong with a few cans outside before the game? ;)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      Reply #38: Jan 04, 2009 01:51:22 pm
      Id imagine Liverpools hard pubs are more in the estates then town are they? I know here in Dublin there isnt many hard pubs in the centre of town where you have tourists but head towards the docks and out to the suburbs the more common they are
      Premchat
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #39: Jan 04, 2009 01:52:37 pm
      Hard pubs in Dublin!! Haha...:p

The George mate..;D......not many. Templebar maybe....Hill 16 kinda after Dubs games
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      Reply #40: Jan 04, 2009 02:03:27 pm
      Hard pubs in Dublin!! Haha...:p

The George mate..;D......not many. Templebar maybe....Hill 16 kinda after Dubs games

Ye musnt know Dublin to well so
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #41: Jan 04, 2009 02:15:21 pm
      Not many hard pubs in Dublin city centre at all. Definitely the further you move from the river though! The George, what a tacky place. Not my favourite bar in the world!
      Premchat
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #42: Jan 04, 2009 02:19:38 pm
      Ye musnt know Dublin to well so

Ye..livin' there all my life....being in the city centre a fair amount of the time too....
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #43: Jan 04, 2009 02:21:34 pm
      I was having a bevvy in Dublin last year and we went to some bar called Fitzgerald's, by the main road with that big needle thing and all the arcades. Close to the bridge over the river.

An old fella started kicking off and the barman just walked upto him and picked him up and removed him from the premises, to put it lightly.

The Temple Bar wasn't a hard bar. We had a grin in there and I spent €25 on a round of Guiness, but I wouldn't say the atmosphere was too bad.
      Premchat
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #44: Jan 04, 2009 02:32:03 pm
      LMFAO!! The big needle...thats the best description I've ever heard for that stupid spire thingy! :p Haha

;D...some waste of money that was!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #45: Jan 04, 2009 02:38:51 pm
      LMFAO!! The big needle...thats the best description I've ever heard for that stupid spire thingy! :p Haha

;D...some waste of money that was!

To dispel my ignorance.....

The Spire of Dublin

The latest piece of amazing architecture to be unveiled in Ireland is the Spire of Dublin, known locally as the Millennium Spire. This is a giant spike made of burnished steel which sits in the centre of Dublin's main street, O'Connell Street.

The Spire is enormous, standing at 120 metres high (about 400 feet). That's not all that high compared with such notables as the Empire State Building (443m) or the Eiffel Tower (320m), but the impact of the Spire is great because it is only about 3 metres (10 feet) wide at the base and it narrows to a point at the top. It looks like a giant sewing needle, as it soars into the sky above Dublin. The top section is drilled with hundreds of tiny holes, like a cheese grater, and is lit from below by lights inside the Spire, so that it glows. This serves not only as a focus for the upward-pointing feel of the construction, but also as a warning light for low-flying aircraft. The light mechanism can be lowered by a series of ropes and pulleys to allow the bulb to be changed, so nobody has to climb up inside the very narrow Spire.

Anyways!  :ontopic:

;)

Quick Reply