Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool v Everton (FA Cup) MATCH Thread

Read 19085 times
      redsamba82
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts | -4 
      Re: Liverpool v Everton (FA Cup) MATCH Thread
      Reply #230: Jan 25, 2009 06:58:59 pm
      I now dirk kuyt is a work hourse for the team,but we bought him to score goals,he had a decent chance to  score and the lad doesnt go for the bottom corner he hits it streight at howard,skirtel,masch an gerrard were class,torres still a bit rusty,we will beat them at bitterson 2-0 and it will make them even more bitter an twisted !   
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #231: Jan 25, 2009 07:01:41 pm
      We the fans really need to stop insulting the players.

Babel need a run of games upfront as a striker. Riera clearly the better option on the Left wing
      Kuyt tries, but Benanyun is the way forward. Kuyt can actually stick a foot in, but we need more in the attack. Kuyt may be an impact sub.
      Skrtel was as good as it gets.
      Dossena was really good today.
      Mascherano and Alonso held the midfield along with Skrtel.
      Torres is still a bit rusty but what a great pass.
      Gerrard............. Simply the BEST

Give the players a break guys.

gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #232: Jan 25, 2009 07:08:06 pm
      Well said Solodee, get of the players backs and  IRWT.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #233: Jan 25, 2009 07:09:58 pm
      a fair bit of our play went down the right, but kuyt doesn't have the imagination or skill to jink past defenders.  i think we definitely need a right sided midfielder.  benayoun isn't the answer either.

even though we drew,  thought there were more positives from this game than on monday night. the bitters just came to defend, especially after their goal, and offered very little to the match.

i actually believe it will suit us better to play them at tesco's, as they will have to come out and attack a bit more, and hopefully that'll leave space for us to exploit.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #234: Jan 25, 2009 07:11:53 pm
      benyoun is not the answer we need a new right midfielder maybe it would be worth taking a gamble on valencia at wigan we need a bit pentration down the flanks
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #235: Jan 25, 2009 07:13:07 pm
      We the fans really need to stop insulting the players.

Babel need a run of games upfront as a striker. Riera clearly the better option on the Left wing
      Kuyt tries, but Benanyun is the way forward. Kuyt can actually stick a foot in, but we need more in the attack. Kuyt may be an impact sub.
      Skrtel was as good as it gets.
      Dossena was really good today.
      Mascherano and Alonso held the midfield along with Skrtel.
      Torres is still a bit rusty but what a great pass.
      Gerrard............. Simply the BEST

Give the players a break guys.

Well done, you was spot on mate. Gerrard-Torres are the best partners for me. Rafa play gerrard as a striker to help torres ;)
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #236: Jan 25, 2009 07:17:12 pm
      a fair bit of our play went down the right, but kuyt doesn't have the imagination or skill to jink past defenders.  I think we definitely need a right sided midfielder.  benayoun isn't the answer either.

even though we drew,  thought there were more positives from this game than on monday night. the bitters just came to defend, especially after their goal, and offered very little to the match.

I actually believe it will suit us better to play them at tesco's, as they will have to come out and attack a bit more, and hopefully that'll leave space for us to exploit.

Really, until we buy a Quaresma or some other wizard on the right flank, Benanyun is the answer. Nabil El Zhar is not there yet. If you  watched the  last reserve match where N'gog scored 2 goals, you'll notice Nabil is still very rough on the edges, much like Babel. Bot we cant have two Babels on the pitch together right now.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #237: Jan 25, 2009 07:17:28 pm
      Another game where we were indecisive. Even if we had won I'd still be as frustrated.

Possession was great and our influence on the game was far better than theirs.

But the reluctance to attack with pace was sad to see. Especially in the first half. Far too many times we allowed them to regroup.

And the reluctance to keep tabs on their danger man was more than frustrating. We should have learned from the last derby game, but we didn't and we paid for it.

I'm too wound up to speak about Babel. And Kuyt's shocking missed opportunity on 80 mins.

But I'm not as gutted as I was last Monday.

Just hope we address the glaring problem of us not being able to break teams down that want to defend.
      sproaty_88
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #238: Jan 25, 2009 07:21:07 pm
      I thought that Dossena did rather well today compared with his normal standard, didn't have much to do but filled in for Babel's place easily because Babel was awful. Arbeloa didn't have much to do, this game proved we need a right winger and right wing back. At least Insua will be able to take his place back once he's back from international duty. We also need some more creativity in the team, Gerrard and El Nino did really well; made the right runs and played brilliantly together to score the goal. However we rely too much on them two to make the goals when the wingers should be doing that too but Kuyt and Babel couldn't do that today. Mascherano had a good game, made some great tackles and it's good to see that Skrtel is back to his best! He was really strong and made the one mistake by moving away from Lescott which allowed him to score the header but other than that he was really strong.

We really hammered the Bitters today and should have won by at least three! However we'll beat them at their spot and then beat Villa at Anfield! I have all the confidence in the world that we'll get through the next round!
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #239: Jan 25, 2009 07:25:03 pm
      Gutted about Kuyts shot should off scored other than that thought no 1 played to bad, just everton had 11 men behind the ball 90% of the time, which made it hard to score.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #240: Jan 25, 2009 07:34:12 pm
      Really, until we buy a Quaresma or some other wizard on the right flank, Benanyun is the answer. Nabil El Zhar is not there yet. If you  watched the  last reserve match where N'gog scored 2 goals, you'll notice Nabil is still very rough on the edges, much like Babel. Bot we cant have two Babels on the pitch together right now.

mate, 2 babels isn't what i'm after i can assure you, now i would take 2 gerrards if you offered me it!

seriously though i know you're a fan of benayoun, but for me he is always coming inside and doesn't offer us as much width as an out and out quality winger would, and while i think he's a good squad player, i dont think he would make it into many peoples starting 11.

i dont think nabil is ready to nail down a first team place either, which is why if you read my post is why i said we need a right sided player.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #241: Jan 25, 2009 07:34:27 pm
      Babel need a run of games upfront as a striker.

solodee, agree with everything you say, but in my eyes, Babel has had enough chances to prove himself.  From what I saw this afternoon, he's lazy and really has had every opportunity to prove himself.  He's not the same Babel I was watching last season, the lad has so much potential but doesn't look arsed half the time.   
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #242: Jan 25, 2009 07:35:31 pm
      solodee, agree with everything you say, but in my eyes, Babel has had enough chances to prove himself.  From what I saw this afternoon, he's lazy and really has had every opportunity to prove himself.  He's not the same Babel I was watching last season, the lad has so much potential but doesn't look arsed half the time.  

agreed smiggs, i'm always defending babel to my liverpool mates in work, but even i am running out of excuses for him.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #243: Jan 25, 2009 07:36:55 pm
      We're still in the cup,that's the important thing, we can put everything right at goodison in ten days time.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #244: Jan 25, 2009 07:38:50 pm
      We're still in the cup,that's the important thing, we can put everything right at goodison in ten days time.

and so say all of us!
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #245: Jan 25, 2009 07:50:54 pm
      We are still there and i think going to the pit in the replay will be an easier game
      in my opinion. Everton will have to come out more and leave the space behind
      for us to take advantage like we did at the start of the season.

Babel is useless i gave up on him a long time ago. He is one lazy b***ard.
      El Zhar? ..... No. Stick with Yossi. The best of a bad bunch

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #246: Jan 25, 2009 07:59:16 pm
      Another game where we were indecisive. Even if we had won I'd still be as frustrated.

Possession was great and our influence on the game was far better than theirs.

But the reluctance to attack with pace was sad to see. Especially in the first half. Far too many times we allowed them to regroup.

And the reluctance to keep tabs on their danger man was more than frustrating. We should have learned from the last derby game, but we didn't and we paid for it.

I'm too wound up to speak about Babel. And Kuyt's shocking missed opportunity on 80 mins.

But I'm not as gutted as I was last Monday.

Just hope we address the glaring problem of us not being able to break teams down that want to defend.
      We go to their yard and the bitter blues will have to string the odd attack together they just wouldn't play as they did today.Then again they are off their heads with 2 draws if they got a third they'd be issuing medals to celebrate.I'm as confident as ever that we can and will F***ing hammer them.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #247: Jan 25, 2009 07:59:59 pm
      Well said reds, atleast were not out. We'll do them at Goodison, I think we play better there anyway.
      Well done gerrard, our best player today in my opinion along with Alonso.
      Couldn't believe how that finished 1-1
      Those blue shites were so F***ing jammy, they can't possibly stop us again in 10 days.
      Come on reds let's dump them out the cup and get on with the season.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #248: Jan 25, 2009 08:19:54 pm
      Looks to me like the treble is still on then? :)
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #249: Jan 25, 2009 08:33:28 pm
      Looks to me like the treble is still on then? :)

Just after a replay of every FA cup round.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #250: Jan 25, 2009 08:35:41 pm
      No worries about the Goodison match, Babel should fly home now, waving to be subbed.  Even Xabi an Stevie were havin a go at him today.

No respect or the club that pay his wages
      red kop
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 179 posts | -8 
      Reply #251: Jan 25, 2009 08:40:06 pm
      I think we play better in away games , we will roast the bastarda come the replay at goodisons park .
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #252: Jan 25, 2009 09:28:06 pm
      I'll be honest and say at half time and say I feared the worst. We were on the back of 2 poor performances, we'd conceded a silly goal and once again we lacked any sort of cutting edge.

However, some of those players really showed what they were made of in the second half. They showed some fight which has been lacking in recent weeks and that pleased me. Torres was a prime example. He didn't get many scoring chances but he kept working and working and got his reward through a world-class assist.

Babel was a huge disappointment. I'd say today was one of the three biggest games of his life. He had a chance to prove to the fans and the manager what he was made of. He didn't take it. He looks distant from the game and to be frank he just didn't give a F**k for Liverpool's place in the FA Cup.

Another topic is Dirk Kuyt. He missed a chance today and everyone's on his back. He imprved drastically in the second half but today wasn't one of his better games but still look at the effort he puts in. He puts that shirt on with pride. There's a huge contrast between him and Babel. Maybe Yossi should be given a game in that position in the next few games but I don't really think he's a huge improvement on Kuyt.

Overall I'd say it was an improvement over Monday's display but we need to improve even further and find a better cutting edge if we are to get the season back on track.

We've laid the foundations perfectly for this season, let's go on and build the house.

Quick Reply