Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Anfields Hidden Treasures: Up Close With Carra's Medals

Read 2410 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Anfields Hidden Treasures: Up Close With Carra's Medals
      Jan 26, 2009 05:43:19 pm
      In our latest peek behind the walls of Anfield's famous museum, curator Stephen Done shows off a new addition to the cabinet - Jamie Carragher's medal collection.

The way Carra donated his medals to the Museum is typical of the man.
      I got a phone call from Melwood telling me there was something up there that I should go and have a look at. When I enquired as to what that was, they told me it was big bag of medals!

Jamie had just brought them in, dumped them on the desk and told them to give Stephen Done a call.

So off I went and there they were, in this bag. He didn't want a receipt or anything. He just told me to put them on show in the museum and walked off.

It was absolutely unbelievable. It is one of the great moments I have had here as a museum curator and shows just how down to earth and trusting our favourite number 23 is.

I have to say that I think it is one of the most exciting additions we have ever received.

For me, it ranks alongside the Kenny Dalglish and Alan Hansen collections that are already on show.

We gave the medals pride of place in the museum just before Christmas and I am proud to say it includes everything he has won, from the FA Youth Cup medal of 1996 through to the Champions League winners' medal from 2005.

We also have the runners-up medal from Athens in 2007. Although it is only a runners'-up medal it is an extremely beautiful one.

Not that Carra will see it that way, of course. He's a born winner and will no doubt still be frustrated it wasn't his second European Cup triumph.

Aside from that, we've also got his FA Cup medal, the UEFA Cup medal and the Worthington Cup medal from the 2001 treble winning season.

When you look at this collection you realise just how incredibly successful Liverpool have been since the turn of the century.

It also illustrates how fantastic Jamie Carragher has been as a player.

The cabinet is already overflowing but I have a feeling that before he hangs up his boots there will be plenty more to show off.

He's already regarded by many as a legend in his own right and is a name you have to include when it comes to talking about the greatest defenders to have played for the club.

With any luck, he may add a few more to his collection this season and top it off with the only one that is missing, the Barclays Premier League title.

Great read IMO, just a shame that there is one missing  :(

I think that this article emphasises just how much Carragher loves the club and what a legend he really is.

Up Close With Carra's Medals .tv Article
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Anfields Hidden Treasures: Up Close With Carra's Medals
      Reply #1: Jan 26, 2009 05:56:27 pm
      Magnificent gesture, typical of the man!

Some of those medals are beautiful, it seems right for them to be on show than to be in some dusty old drawer, but still hats off to Carra for sharing them!

Top fella! ;)
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #2: Jan 26, 2009 06:00:20 pm
      Legend, our Carra.

The fact that he's willing to give up every medal he's ever won to the clubs museum makes me speechless.
      What a great gesture. We all dream of a team of Carraghers.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3: Jan 26, 2009 06:03:38 pm
      You wouldn't ever see an article like this about any of the mancs. Shows how much more passionate our players are IMO to dedicate as much to the club, be it on the pitch or off it.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #4: Jan 26, 2009 06:32:32 pm
      Surprised he kept the 2007 medal, he said in his book he wasnt surprised footballers throw them in the crowd...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #5: Jan 26, 2009 06:34:23 pm
      Maybe with the recent spate of burglaries, the LFC museum is the safest place for them to be?

Well in Carra.

Although I'm sure he will be wanting them back. ;)
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #6: Jan 26, 2009 07:07:55 pm
      Maybe with the recent spate of burglaries, the LFC museum is the safest place for them to be?

Good point, imagine some d**khead stealing a collection like that....   Not worth thinking about.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #7: Jan 26, 2009 07:11:10 pm
      Great article
      Hope there's a league winners medal to add to that come may
      Maybe another CL medal too :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #8: Jan 26, 2009 07:12:58 pm
      Great article
      Hope there's a league winners medal to add to that come may
      Maybe another CL medal too :D

Heck, why not throw in another FA Cup medal just for good measure ;)
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #9: Jan 26, 2009 07:18:49 pm
      Heck, why not throw in another FA Cup medal just for good measure ;)
      Pity a Carling cup medal is out of reach :mad:
      mikastoo
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #10: Jan 26, 2009 07:38:40 pm
      What a legend!  I look forward to seeing his prem league medal taking pride of place in that presentation case come May!  YNWA
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6815 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #11: Jan 27, 2009 01:39:25 am
      What a fantastic gesture from a wonderful man and a true Liverpool Legend.

I really hope he can donate the Premier League Medallion to the club in May, but he might just want to hold on to that one for a bit longer  ;)

One thing I'm upset about though, couldn't he have donated it last October, when I was over?  :P
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12: Jan 27, 2009 03:01:37 am
      What a fantastic gesture from a wonderful man and a true Liverpool Legend.

I really hope he can donate the Premier League Medallion to the club in May, but he might just want to hold on to that one for a bit longer  ;)

One thing I'm upset about though, couldn't he have donated it last October, when I was over?  :P

b***ard aint he? :D

Great gesture, and he did it in the Carra way. Good man.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #13: Jan 28, 2009 01:00:52 am
      You wouldn't ever see an article like this about any of the mancs. Shows how much more passionate our players are IMO to dedicate as much to the club, be it on the pitch or off it.

sorry but i think that is a bit of a wild assumption. of course WE wouldn't hear of something a Manc did like this but do you think many of THEM are aware of or give a damn about Carra's gesture?

it is OK to be a fervent Red and to hate the other lot but at least give them some credit...I'm sure Giggs or Scholes or Neville might well do something like this but we would likely never know about it.
      Epicthunder
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 206 posts | -1 
      Reply #14: Jan 28, 2009 05:36:13 am
      Hold on, This is about cara's special donation to the museum not about man united!  Those medals must have ment alot to him!

Awsome man, well done :)

Quick Reply