Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool get Real Madrid

Read 16408 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Re: Liverpool get Real Madrid
      Reply #138: Jan 06, 2009 05:47:11 pm
      Pepe made some brilliant saves in the Champions' League qualifiers against Liege. Also, I don't think Casillas could have made that save to stop Giggs' dipping volley.

Of course there's no doubt that Pepe got us into the Champions League group stage, I agree with that.

I just think it's the two best goalkeepers coming head to head in the tie and I think that the 'keeper who is better over the two legs will win the match for their team.
      Kopite09
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts |
      Reply #139: Jan 06, 2009 07:19:59 pm
      Including the one at Anfield?
      I wish.

We haven't heard those chants/screams for quite a while, have we?
      no we havent the game at anfield is goin to be electric those madrid cu*ts wont know what hit em !
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #140: Jan 06, 2009 09:33:08 pm
      Of course there's no doubt that Pepe got us into the Champions League group stage, I agree with that.

I just think it's the two best goalkeepers coming head to head in the tie and I think that the 'keeper who is better over the two legs will win the match for their team.

Agree, well along with defence, dont think it will be about the attacking flair in this one
      ohcampione
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #141: Jan 07, 2009 11:21:20 pm
      Cant wait for these two ties  :P...

Can anyone tell me what games will be needed on fancards for the away leg i have Atletico & Liege away and PSV,Atletico and Liege at home ???
      If we beat them all the rumours about Rafa going to madrid every summer will stop id say  :laugh:. If we can stop Robben getting time on wing and putting dangerous ball in for the horse (van nistlerooy) we should be ok i think.
      I'd love to see Torres score against his old rivals and for the Atletico fans aswel there top lads. One of them gave me an "anti madridista" top and ill be wearing that for them.  :laugh: (well i might)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #142: Jan 08, 2009 12:27:10 am
      We always play interesting teams in the champions league like Barcelona, Inter Milan, and Juventus :P
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #143: Jan 08, 2009 01:17:04 am
      and I think that the 'keeper who is better over the two legs will win the match for their team.

Do you honestly think that mate? I'm assuming you mean the tie and not a particular match in the tie?

I don't think any team playing us over two legs - especially with us having the second leg at Anfield - has an edge on us between the two keepers.

Of course, it's an important factor for Pepe to be his usual great self. But I think we should give ourselves as a team a bit more credit coming up against Real Madrid.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #144: Jan 08, 2009 02:17:10 am
      Definetly will not come down to who the better keeper will be, that will not decide the tie. As kenny says we have other important players and positions in our team that I believe are more than capable of knocking Real out of this competition. Not to mention our 12th man in the second leg. There is a little over 6 weeks left to this tie with a lot of league and cup games in between so a lot can happen. We look like to be hitting our form and Real have turned things around since Ramos took over. However I think with us playing at Anfield on a Europen night there is something special and we are too good to be out of the competition so early.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #145: Jan 08, 2009 10:21:10 pm
      UEFA tonight confirmed that its Control and Disciplinary Body has reviewed the request of Real Madrid CF to be able to register two players who have already competed in UEFA competition this season as part of their A-list squad for the knockout rounds of the UEFA Champions League.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=512/newsid=791338.html

So they have to choose whether it will be Diarra or Huntelaar
      idwLFC89
      • Banned

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #146: Jan 10, 2009 11:14:07 pm
      That's a tough choice, does Ramos choose the better player? Does he choose Diarra because he's played against the english teams in the knock out stages including Liverpool, or does he choose Huntelaar for the opposite reason, that he has played against none.

hmmm hmmm hmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Either way, I want to see a cracker when I go to the Bernabeu, ending of course with a Liverpool golazooooooo
      fazman
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts | -1 
      Reply #147: Jan 10, 2009 11:42:32 pm
      I hate Real madrid think they can take whoever they like !!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #148: Jan 11, 2009 03:14:00 am
      Must've been awful when they were trying to take Ronaldo.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #149: Jan 11, 2009 02:35:39 pm
      Can't believe Diarra isn't in the squad already! He's a player you want when playing away games or want to shut out the opponent. Wouldn't be suprised if Huntelaar is chosen above him though, Real don't have too many great strikers without him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #150: Jan 11, 2009 03:07:38 pm
      I hate Real madrid think they can take whoever they like !!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That'll be Tevez and Ronaldo this summer then  8)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #151: Feb 01, 2009 12:01:37 am
      What on earth is going on with Real Madrid. Signed Diarra, okay good signing but payed way too much for him. Linked with players such as Adam Johnson and Pennant?! Today sealing a deal for the loan signing of Julien Faubert.

Faubert? On loan? Why?

If Ramos carries on like this he's going to seriously damage the club.

Don't know whether this is final but apparently Madrid have also lost their appeal to include Huntelaar and Diarra in the Champions League squad.

I'm looking forward to this, I think we can really do them.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #152: Feb 02, 2009 03:40:18 pm
      we'll beat the sh*t out of them. they aare going to experience hell  >:D when they come to anfield
      they are not playing to their best, plus they have lost the appeal to include both huntelaar and diarra in their squad
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #153: Feb 02, 2009 03:48:41 pm
      Real Madrid chose Lassana Diarra over Klass Jan Huntelaar to play in their CL squad.

Liverpool have been spared the task of facing Real Madrid’s big-money signing Klass Jan Huntelaar after The Spanish giants chose to include Lassana Diarra in their squad for the Champions League knock-out stages.

Uefa regulations stipulated the Spanish champions could only register one player who has already featured in European competition this season and Madrid opted for Diarra over the Holland striker.

Madrid initially said they would fight the ruling in court but have backed down and accepted the decision following a meeting last week between the club's new president Vicente Boluda and UEFA chief Michel Platini.

Diarra had already played in the Uefa Cup this season for former club Portsmouth, while Huntelaar had featured in the same competition for Ajax.

Liverpool take on Madrid in the last-16 of the Champions League with the first leg set to take place in Spain on February 25.

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/Football/2009/02/02/Champs-lge-Madrid-choose-Diarra-over-Huntelaar/gnid-38278/
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #154: Feb 02, 2009 03:51:34 pm
      Julien Faubert, i'm shitting my pants.

What the hell is Ramos thinking? He hasnt adjusted to being at a big club yet, at Spurs and Sevilla he was used to try signing players cheap hoping they come good but its Madrid!

Diarra (as good as he is, you'd think he'd aim higher or pay less), Faubert, Pennant, Johnson, Zokora even FFS!

I dont think we'll smack 'em but i think we will win this. Just imagine their teamsheet; Ramos, Casillas, Raul, Sneijder...Faubert.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #155: Feb 02, 2009 03:52:05 pm
      mmmm.... not bad. guess diarra would be less of a threat than huntelaar could have been
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #156: Feb 02, 2009 03:53:51 pm
      Julien Faubert, i'm shitting my pants.
      I dont think we'll smack 'em but i think we will win this. Just imagine their teamsheet; Ramos, Casillas, Raul, Sneijder...Faubert.
      ;D ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #157: Feb 02, 2009 04:23:41 pm
      I thought they opted against choosing either of them for the Champions League
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #158: Feb 02, 2009 04:25:51 pm
      I thought they opted against choosing either of them for the Champions League

Me too :S
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Please Help: Champions League fixture date
      Reply #159: Feb 02, 2009 06:43:29 pm
      Sorry if I should be posting this question somewhere else but I couldn't really see anywhere else where it would be appropriate.

I am thinking of buying tickets to go and see White Lies on 5th May. However, I looked at the Champions League fixture dates and the second leg on the semi-finals take place on the 5th and 6th of May.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me, if Liverpool were to progress to the semi-final, would our second leg game be on the 5th of May or the 6th?

Thanks.

Quick Reply