Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Switching broadband provider

Read 16190 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Switching broadband provider
      Feb 08, 2009 08:39:40 pm
      I'm currently in the process of changing broadband providers as I've been sick and tired of paying over the odds for a service that has been pretty poor, on too many occasions for my liking.

Seeing as this is the first time, I wasn't too sure what the process would be in my case. As I'm switching from a cable based provider to a phone line based provider, I'm pretty sure I don't need to get a MAC code.

Anyway, I thought I'd post up this little guide for future reference in case anyone decides to make the change, upgrade etc..

From uswitch.com

Switching - the basics

If you are already signed up to a broadband provider you can change your service by migrating, transferring your service or upgrading. Read on to find out more.

Migrating your broadband

What is migrating?

Migrating is where you change to another broadband provider and in most cases you can also upgrade your speed at the same time. Please note your new supplier may charge an upgrade fee.

Migrating from cable broadband to ADSL broadband

If you wish to migrate from a cable broadband service to an ADSL broadband service, you will need:

* an active BT line
          * a new modem which is compatible with an ADSL connection. You cannot use your cable modem
          * there may be additional equipment required, e.g. a microfilter, USB connection or Ethernet connection, router, etc.

How much down time can I expect?

As BT and cable lines can run simultaneously, you will be able to keep your cable line running until your new ADSL service is activated. This will avoid any service loss during switching.

How long does it take to install ADSL broadband?

It can take an average of 10 days to install an ADSL service. Your start up package will be sent directly to your house and the connection will be directly activated by the provider.

Migrating from ADSL broadband to cable broadband

To migrate from ADSL broadband to cable broadband, you will need:

* Nothing - the cable provider will supply all the equipment that you will need to run broadband from your home computer. Your computer will need to match the stated specifications

There is no direct way to switch from ADSL to cable. This type of switch uses a different type of cable running into your home, other than your phone line. This switch will not affect your phone service and you can keep your BT phone line and number.

During the migration to cable broadband:

* You must first check your current contract and cancel your connection with your current ADSL broadband provider
          * Cable broadband takes approximately 7 days to install
          * An engineer will come to your home and install your broadband equipment

Is there any downtime?

As cable and BT lines can run simultaneously, you are able to keep your ADSL line running until your new cable broadband has been installed. This will avoid any service loss during switching.

Migrating to another ADSL provider

When you migrate to a new service provider your BT phone line will not be affected and, you will keep the same phone number. What you will need:

* A standard BT ADSL connection
          * Your individual MAC code, which you can get from your current provider

How do you migrate to a new broadband provider?

* Check the terms and conditions of your current contract
          * Call your current provider and inform them that you would like to migrate to another provider. Obtain your individual MAC code
          * Contact your new provider and give them your MAC code and previous provider's details
          * Your new provider will then contact your old provider and BT to arrange the transfer of your service

How much down time using a MAC code?

There should only be down time of approximately 20 minutes during the transfer of service.

Upgrading broadband provider

What is upgrading?

Upgrading is when you increase your connection speed either with your current provider or a new provider.

Upgrading with your current ADSL broadband provider

Contact your ADSL provider and request a change in your package (some providers may charge for this service). Your package will be upgraded with minimum down time.

On most occasions you will not be breaking your contract by upgrading. However, some providers may start your minimum term contract again when you upgrade, so it always best to check the terms of your contract first.

Upgrading your connection changing to a different ADSL provider

It is now possible to upgrade directly to a new provider. In most cases you will need to migrate and the process is outlined above in Migrating to another ADSL provider. Some providers may charge you an upgrade fee, but this is not generally the case.

Upgrading your cable broadband connection

Firstly, check the terms and conditions of your contract to make sure that you are able to upgrade - Telewest, for example, state that you must have had your current package for 30 days before you can make any changes. Once you have upgraded you must wait another 30 days before you can upgrade again.

Use the uSwitch.com broadband switching service to upgrade your package on cable broadband.

You cannot upgrade between providers, as there will only be one cable provider in your area.

Make a better connection

Switching to a new provider could give you a cheaper subscription, more speed and better services. Why wait?

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Switching broadband provider
      Reply #1: Feb 09, 2009 05:41:25 pm
      I've had a number ISP's
      Virgin at first and they were fine, then went to Orange, think it was when I went broadband from dial up. Then the worst decision ever signed up to TalkTalk.... NEVER got any Internet of them at all after 9 months waiting. Was still with Orange waiting for the transfer so I was paying 2 ISP's, Orange were poor too, so went back to Virgin. So far never had any problems with their 'phone Broadband. up to 8Gb, fastest I've got was around 7.5Gb. around £14 a month. Don't think you can get that package anymore. No real problems, just needed a MAC code, and then waited until the old provider went off, and then the new one came on. Was off line for about 4-5 days, but this may be quicker now. I suspect you are with Virgin as you are Cable, I you considered staying and changing to phone line internet?
      If you are cable then your phone line should be free of Internet so no  do not think you will need a MAC code. Who ever you go with can check the line anyway, I think.
      Good luck.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #2: Feb 14, 2009 01:57:29 am
      BT charge 115 for reconnection to a normal landline.....swines
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #3: Feb 14, 2009 10:00:45 am
      I'm just about to change from Sky (who are very good) as my housemate is moving out and were unable to contunie paying for Sky TV/Broadband, going to Virgin as they have a Broadband only deal at the moment (1st 3 months for £5) so I'm hoping they are pretty good and tbh i've heard good things about them so
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #4: Feb 14, 2009 11:41:48 am
      Touch wood, I've never had a problem with Virgin.  ;)   :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: Feb 14, 2009 03:59:50 pm
      Touch wood, I've never had a problem with Virgin.  ;)   :D

I assume people who have the phone, tv and internet with them don't. Or am I just being bitter.  ;)
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #6: Feb 14, 2009 06:53:32 pm
      I assume people who have the phone, tv and internet with them don't. Or am I just being bitter.  ;)

How could you ever be bitter?  Your a Red  ;) :D

Quick Reply