Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Liverpool 4 Arsenal 4 - Post match thread

Read 41257 times
      mulletma5ter
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Re: Liverpool 4 Arsenal 4 - Post match thread
      Reply #184: Apr 22, 2009 07:23:07 am
      I still see hope for the title.

At the end of the day, we still got 1 point from one of "the big four" One that United still have to play.

Yeah we had unfortunate mistakes from 3 players. But 3 players that have thankfully made few mistakes this season. Shame they all happened in sucha big game.

I think the rest of the teams we will be playing will have seen these results, and will have nightmares contemplating facing us.

Teams facing United on the other hand, may just see their iffy results, and aim to get one over the "big guys".
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #185: Apr 22, 2009 08:19:55 am
      I am not giving up on anything yet!!  We are still in with a better chance than we have been for a long time but it is all down to the wheels coming off the Mancs season.

The game was a roller coaster in which individual mistakes cost us dearly.  The old cliche that if you make mistakes at this level you get punished was never truer for us last night.

On another note when are the idiots that run the Mersey tunnels going plan their 'essential maintenance' around midweek matches.  The closing of the Birkenhead Tunnel gridlocked the centre last night.  It's about time the City Council and the police took these idiots in hand. :f_steam:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #186: Apr 22, 2009 09:09:00 am
      I could see united drawing 2 games, but losing 2 games is asking a bit, then we must win all of ours. I think we will. Last game of the season will be the biggest test. Arsenal must beet united, but united could keep it tight, they don't have to go all out like we did tonight.

There is still hope, of course there is, but it is not as strong as if we had of won. Lets hope that Fergie cracks enough.
      Torresgoalmachine
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #187: Apr 22, 2009 09:16:31 am
      Mistakes yes, but Arsenal made mistakes as well didnt they, thing is we didnt sit back and accept our fate, no....this season we didnt just accept handouts, no....we fought back and fought back we did, this encounter is a classic !!
      BlueDuffleCoat
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts | -4 
      Reply #188: Apr 22, 2009 09:47:56 am
      Guys come on, we drew, let's be positive !!!!

The problem is we have drawn one game too many this season and now have to rely on Manchester United to slip up, that's no manner in which to win the league is it?
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #189: Apr 22, 2009 09:49:39 am
      There was always going to be at least one draw in the last 8 games and maybe this last minute draw might win the league for us. Things always look better in the morning and if you look at utd's last 4 games they are difficult so we have to take them till at least the last 2 games and if possible the last day of the season when I think they are away to Hull. Still cant believe the mistakes but you cant knock the spirit. Have we ever scored more goals at the end of a season than this its incredible.
      But we are making far too many mistakes.
      LadyLFC
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      Reply #190: Apr 22, 2009 09:55:49 am
      The problem is we have drawn one game too many this season and now have to rely on Manchester United to slip up, that's no manner in which to win the league is it?

Totally agreed, we are now in that position that we don´t control the league anymore and the title depends on man utd faillure.
      and we still need to win all the next games. But I don´t give up faith yet, you´ll never know how things will happen and man utd is a bit off a mess right now

Through all, it was a great game to watch, but we made a couple big defending mistakes, but we need to concetrate on the next game.
      But I am proud of the team, they showed, they´ll will fight till the end and won´t give up till the season is over.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #191: Apr 22, 2009 10:04:06 am
      Those mistakes

Having watched the game again, and having read some players wrongly blamed for our goals I thought I would try and analyse each Arsenal goal a bit.

First goal

Looks to me like it was Mascherano dwelling on the ball just outside the penalty area when he should have either launched it. Not much Alonso could be faulted for as he had two men on him.

Second goal

Lot of flak heading Arbeloa's way for this - totally unfair in my opinion.  I really don't know what Carragher was doing with
      1) a weak unnecessary header down when he should have launched it
      2) then running out of the way.

Even accounting for his piss poor header - if he had stayed central then Arshavin may not have got the shot off.

Third goal

Okay Arbeloa could maybe have been a little wider, however no question that Aurelio provided a peach perfect set up.  The finger for that goal has to be pointed full square at the Brazilian.

Fourth goal

Can't blame anyone really.  We were looking for the winner and Walcott did the damage with his pace like he has done before at Anfield.

Maybe if Skrtel and Carra had been playing both of them would have been back, but it would be harsh to point the finger for this goal.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #192: Apr 22, 2009 10:05:51 am
      well i won't say i wouldn't like us having a player like arshavin :)

He may have scored four goals in a game but his side didn't win.

They were all gilt-edged chances that we made easy for him. 

Being honest - I don't think he is going to be a big player in the Premiership.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #193: Apr 22, 2009 10:17:40 am
      Errr, MsG....you've been drinking haven't you? Mr G wasn't playing...he was sunning his massive plums in front of the Sky big lights...

Exactly........Why do you think I said he looked so HOT !!!!
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #194: Apr 22, 2009 10:31:41 am
      Well personally, I was a bit disappointed that we couldn't managed to get full points from this game, as they are short in attacking and a bit lack in defending.

Firstly Liverpool were opening gap between their midfield line and defensive line thus enabling Arsenal capitalizing the wide space and dominating the midfield area. Seems like our midfield either liked to be too offensive or too defensive. We lost in our midfield battle, that's for sure! The first goal was purely a defensive error made by Mascherano. He should clear the ball right away. The fourth goal was a pure example of how our defenders were totally outpaced by lightning fast strikers like Walcott.

What I'm trying to say is we let Arsenal controlled our midfield too much. We didn't lost the game though but everytime Arsenal had a shot on target it just went in. They had their chances and executed well. But what I like about Liverpool is their passion and tireless effort to win the game. It's not over yet lads! This was just another game. We showed that we can score goal and hell loads of them!

Beef up the defence in next game and surely we'll win again. Let this be our burning motivation to win more games ahead!
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #195: Apr 22, 2009 10:36:31 am
      Well missed the game last night thru work but watching it now,3 mistakes in defence have cost us another 2 points dropped at this stage of the season aint good but it aint over yet come on Crouchino do us a big big favoure tonight.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #196: Apr 22, 2009 10:36:35 am

Good post JD, though I have to say the culprits of the mistakes you mentioned were those I saw watching the match last night - I suppose I should read through the live match thread if people have had harsh words about other players?

It's just a terrible shame IMO that because of those errors, what could (and probably should) have been an emphatic victory on our part turned into a struggle for a point.

Full credit to Arshavin for putting them away though.
      LadyLFC
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      Reply #197: Apr 22, 2009 10:56:48 am
      We should have win, we had so many chances and still mad about the fact Riera didn´t pass on Torres arghh..
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #198: Apr 22, 2009 11:06:34 am
      If Liverpool would have concentrated on CL OR! PL they would have won one of the latest clashes. Liverpool will lose both, CL and PL, because they are not strong enough for  2 competitions and not wise enough to focus their limited powers on one competition.

think you need to see a doctor mate
      phillio67
      • Justice For The 96
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts |
      Reply #199: Apr 22, 2009 11:09:33 am
      agreed, taxi for pippen ;D
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #200: Apr 22, 2009 11:20:27 am
      Pepe Reina doesn't make ONE save all game yet picks up the ball out of the back of the net FOUR times.  UNBELIEVABLE.

I'm in agreeance with some on this forum and say that's it as far as the title is concerned.

A bitter and disappointing end ( I know there are still 5 more to play ) to a season which we will end up without any silverware.

AGAIN. :mad: :f_steam: >:(

Yeah the end was disappointing but to assume that we'll end up not winning anything? We still got 5 games to play, anything can happens! I was also disappointed by the result but hey, it's part of the game! No one can argue the fact that our boys has gave their full commitment to the game and desire to win it was beyond doubt, even Reina went up to receive the corner! Even though if we don't win the title come this May, I still am proud to be a Liverpool supporter no matter what because in my heart I know that Liverpool FC is not just any club, it is a passion and pride and joy of my life. So please dont' pass up your judgement yet and let us hand in hand hope that our beloved club will continue fighting till the end!

Is it a shame that we don't win anything this season? It is a shame if we're not in the top 4 and struggling but to be honest if we don't win PL, it's still by far our best achievement yet, we beat Chels**t and Manure both twice in league!
      phillio67
      • Justice For The 96
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts |
      Reply #201: Apr 22, 2009 11:22:48 am
      If we don't do much this season , I know next season is ours both CL and prem , you can feel it  ;)
      bigpowli
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #202: Apr 22, 2009 11:24:43 am
      Riera was our worst player, for me. Tunnel vision and posed no threat to a weak Arsenal defence.

Babel, however... well, if he can play every game he plays in like he did when he came on last night, he will be more of a threat than Riera, I'm sure.

I don't see any point in finger pointing for the goals, it was plain to see/hear the team's/crowd's desire/want/need to win that game. The way we played deserved 3pts, and credit to the team for attacking in and pressing for 90 mins - they did what they had to do in that sense. Aside from the result, it was a wonderful night, and I, for one, am not writing us of until the whistle at 93 mins vs. Spurs!
      LadyLFC
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      Reply #203: Apr 22, 2009 11:26:16 am
      If we don't do much this season , I know next season is ours both CL and prem , you can feel it  ;)

Totally agreed  ;D
      bigpowli
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #204: Apr 22, 2009 11:31:41 am

Also Totally agreed!! :D
      Milestone
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      • Liverpool FC - The only club to watch in England
      Yes we can
      Reply #205: Apr 22, 2009 11:33:26 am
      We need the following players to start against hull. Skrtel, Insua, and Babel. The defensive errors were too much.
      LadyLFC
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      Reply #206: Apr 22, 2009 11:34:43 am
      Reina was also a little bit shaky.. What was wrong with him yesterday?

Quick Reply