Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Yossi Benayoun our David Silva?

Read 2297 times
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Yossi Benayoun our David Silva?
      May 20, 2009 11:14:52 pm
      I know much has been said as to the importance of having David Silva in our ranks. But in saying this, are we undermining this unsung hero; Yossi Benyoun. I can't really say how much Yossi is valued, but if you ask me what does Silva has to offer that Yossi doesn't? For me this would be an intriguing and painstaking question. I am being very genuine in asking this, as Yossi has been a favourite player of mines from a long time due to his silky and slipper skills. He has matured into this season and has played an integral part on the season as a whole, definitely a core player of Liverpool. I know not if I am being absurd to ask such a question. But if Yossi had done, what he did this season at another club; how much would we be willing to spend 15million pounds on him? His validity to the squad is more than essential; he brings flair and passion, and is quality in defending as well.

In saying this, how much is it a necessity in acquiring Silva; whereas our main rifts and problems lay in the department of another striker? Mind you, I would love to see Silva in that number 7 but I am just puzzled and concerned as to how much are we giving to the player we have in Yossi Benayoun a truer chance. In claiming him as world class  player and how much would Silva fill his gap in adapting to the english game?
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Yossi Benayoun our David Silva?
      Reply #1: May 20, 2009 11:34:16 pm
      Yossi Benayoun has proved to be a more than shrewd buy. He's a class player with the right attitude and we should definitely keep him. I don't think a player like Tevez or Silva coming in would affect his place in the squad. Silva, Tevez and Benayoun's versatility means that the squads depth might appear weaker than it actually is. Although admittedly a player can only play in one position at one time. Benayoun, Silva and Tevez can play right across the attacking midfield, which would mean we would have two options for LAW, CAM and RAW. Having this luxury over a 60 game season can win you the extra 5 or 6 point needed to propel you up the league. In our case to first.
      « Last Edit: May 20, 2009 11:46:57 pm by paulrobbo »
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2: May 21, 2009 12:09:39 am
      Yossi and Silva are two totally different player imo. Yossi is more skillful, short pass range and a good finisher too but dont have enough width, kind of like Messi. Silva is good at long shoting, long pass range(cross), and more wide player. I would say Silva maybe just better than Yossi. But we need Yossi next season, a key sub for us. We also have to buy Silva this summer!
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #3: May 21, 2009 12:16:20 am
      Silva is good at long shoting, long pass range(cross), and more wide player.

Thought his main position for Valencia is just behind the striker?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #4: May 21, 2009 01:49:23 am
      Thought his main position for Valencia is just behind the striker?
      He can play multiple positions I think. Haven't really watched alot of him but seems that he can play on either wings and behind the striker.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #5: May 21, 2009 02:04:20 am
      I think there is enough room in the squad for both players if we tend to keep the 4-2-3-1 formation. If Babel is sold and Silva is signed then you will have Riera, Silva, Gerrard, Kuyt and Yossi who can all play and rotate in this positions.
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #6: May 21, 2009 06:05:11 am
      Don't think I've ever seen Riera rotate his left wing spot.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #7: May 21, 2009 07:12:27 am
      Yossi Benayoun has proved to be a more than shrewd buy. He's a class player with the right attitude and we should definitely keep him. I don't think a player like Tevez or Silva coming in would affect his place in the squad. Silva, Tevez and Benayoun's versatility means that the squads depth might appear weaker than it actually is. Although admittedly a player can only play in one position at one time. Benayoun, Silva and Tevez can play right across the attacking midfield, which would mean we would have two options for LAW, CAM and RAW. Having this luxury over a 60 game season can win you the extra 5 or 6 point needed to propel you up the league. In our case to first.

Sums up my feelings to the T. Good post.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #8: May 21, 2009 07:28:18 am
      Going by the same logic why do you want to see another striker in the ranks when Torres-Gerrard partnership has worked so well.Yossi definitely has been a stand-out performer for us this season but you cant say that this is the best squad we have ever had and we should just close the shop now.We need more depth in the squad,we need multiple quality options or each spot and if we have yossi and silva fighting for the same spot,it augers well for the team.Rafa has already said that its  along season and everyone is going to get chances so imagine one of them gets injured or is tired and we have a world-class replacement waiting in the wings.
      Finesse
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts | -2 
      Reply #9: May 21, 2009 09:33:36 am
      i think both players will fit, as it has been mentioned earlier they will bring different dish on the table for us. yossi has been outstanding for us. great buy
      john jones
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #10: May 21, 2009 12:19:12 pm
      Torres-Gerrardis a good partnership but they have not played enough this year. Yossi along with Kuyt have both played big parts in our season. Yossi did not have quite enough chances. Silva is a good player but you can not play every  one at once. Maybe a good sub but so is Yossi
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #11: May 21, 2009 01:12:01 pm
      So I suppose Yossi is always gonna be seen, as a world class sub. No doubt we can't have everyone playing at once, but I feel it leaves us in good stead having that option of Silva and Benayoun battling it out for starters. Riera would naturally become nonexistent which would call for his validity. He has much to prove in the upcoming season, but like Babel his chances will be few and far in between with Silva's arrival. But going back to Benayoun, why can't we appreciate him more than just the World Class Sub? He wasn't a natural starter and he made himself into one, we must can be able to muster that faith in him; to really address him as a starter. If there is little to differentiate between Benayoun and Silva wouldn't it be fair to say, Riera would be Benayoun's suitable sub and the buying of Silva at an inflated exhaustible price isn't the option to take?

As it would mean:                                      Torres
                                    Riera/Benny/Silva-   Gerrard/Silva/Benny   -Kuyt/Benny
                                                         Masch/Lucas    Alonso/Lucas

One way or another there would be a wastage of resources albeit on the bench. Or may the fact that we  didn't spend that much on Benayoun is one we are willing to take. And Riera would be seen as needless, but then again everyone is gonna get their chance.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #12: May 21, 2009 02:04:41 pm
      I am glad that you have raised this question and I see a lot of validity in your argument. I think what Silva will bring to the side is an extra level of creativity that will see us break down the Stoke's and others that park the bus. Sure Yossi has great feet and an impressive skill set on him but from my observation he is not direct enough. He needs to use these skills to create havoc for defenders. I have seen Silva play many a times for both Valencia and Spain and his ability to create a great opprotunity is something to admire either by way of dribbling, crossing or shooting. Surely he doesnt do this every team he has the ball at his feet but he does it more consistently then a lot of players in the world now.

On the point of consistency lets not forget that Yossi this season had a fair spell on the left wing and he was really poor. He was also poor on the right and was millimiteres away from leaving us in the January transfer window. His form really only picked up towars the last third of the season, I admire his work rate to pick up his form and acknowledge the excellent performances he has put in off late but he is not off the same calibre of Silva.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #13: May 21, 2009 02:11:23 pm
      While Yossi has being vastly improved since January, Silva is a step up in quality and is one of the most creative players in Europe and is getting better ever season, because of the financial position at Valencia we have the opportunity to sign him for a less inflated price. If Silva comes I expect him to play regularly more than likely at the expense of Yossi.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #14: May 21, 2009 02:13:26 pm
      I'm not a big Yossi fan so it would have to be Silva for me. I dont think Yossi is as good as our beloved Louis Garcia but I have to admit he improved no end in the last 12 games or so.But Silva for me every time the little guy is class and thats exactly what we need.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #15: May 21, 2009 02:31:54 pm
      Valencia are in a terrible financial position, so I would say go for David Silva. I mean, to be in the first team for Spain, who is ranked number one in the world in terms of internationals speaks volumes about Silva's ability. Silva is a highly creative player, able to make the difference when we are unable to break the teams down, something I would classify Yossi under as well.

Yossi is a shrewd buy, but really, undervalued and underrated by the club. We were persisting with Babel and this season Riera, and Yossi has been there to warm the bench all season. I never have had a doubt about his ability Yossi. I just had no clue why Rafa persisted with Babel and Riera. Right and now Babel's not exactly fulfilling his Henry tag, Riera blowing hot and cold and now Yossi comes in and takes all the praise.

Again, a class player, and I'm not saying this because his on good form at the moment, but I have been admiring him as a player since that 2006 FA cup final where he terrorised us all over, together with Harewood and Ashton.

Quick Reply