Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Confederations Cup 2009

Read 50246 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Confederations Cup 2009
      Reply #667: Jun 28, 2009 09:43:38 pm
      Tell you what though - Desailly has a great future as a ventriloquist doesn't he?

I've always thought Desailly could make a good career out of being a garden spade myself.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #668: Jun 28, 2009 09:44:28 pm
      Altidore signed with Villareal last June for 10 Million U.S. The highest ever for a US born... A few months ago Everton made an offer but Villareal turned it down. They Love him.

How much did Everton offer? And isnt he just 19? Got a bright future ahead id say
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #669: Jun 28, 2009 09:45:40 pm
      He's barely played for Villareal has he?

Altidore signed with Villareal last June for 10 Million U.S. The highest ever for a US born... A few months ago Everton made an offer but Villareal turned it down. They Love him.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #670: Jun 28, 2009 09:46:31 pm
      No more footy now then? Or is the under-21's still going?

Final tomorrow for u-21

England vs Germany

Yet they loan him to a 2nd division club where he never got much playing time, best thing he could do is try and find a club where he can play week in and week out but I doubt it will happen. I would have to think the Gooch (Onyewu) would get a few looks since he is out of contract, I know Fenerbache were looking at him.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #671: Jun 28, 2009 10:15:46 pm
      Hate Brazil. Irrespective of the opposition, always want them to loose.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #672: Jun 28, 2009 10:49:43 pm
      Hate Brazil. Irrespective of the opposition, always want them to loose.

Why's that mate?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #673: Jun 28, 2009 11:20:46 pm

Yet they loan him to a 2nd division club where he never got much playing time, best thing he could do is try and find a club where he can play week in and week out but I doubt it will happen. I would have to think the Gooch (Onyewu) would get a few looks since he is out of contract, I know Fenerbache were looking at him.

Really wow, Altidore looked better than a part time player at a second divison club. But at the same time, Diouf was apparantly good at world cup '02 :D
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #674: Jun 29, 2009 03:27:35 am
      He's barely played for Villareal has he?

He only played a handful of matches for Villreal, he is the first American to score in a La Liga match. Which is impressive, but hard to believe. I would of thought another American somewhere scored in La Liga.  He only started one match. He came in on Substitution a few other matches.

Right now he is on loan to Xerez a 2nd division club. They want him to get some time in the Spanish Game. He had some surgery in the spring which limited his play at Xerez. I think if he gets some playing time in with top flight clubs he could be the real deal..He is only 19 and already the highest paid US International player. Impressive.. Maybe one day we'll see him wearing the red at Anfield.

I know Everton made an offer, I dont know how much. They wanted him to replace Saha, who is always injured. Villareal really like him and think and they spent a shitload for him.  Good for him. 

I think over the next few years a lot of US players will be coming to Europe.  The US Soccer Federation, had put a real strong youth program in motion around 1990..They just pumped money into these areas where Football is big in the US, like New Jersey, New England, California and Puerto Rico... They felt with the World Cup in the US that they would start fresh and really work with the youth clubs and leagues.  They built new facilities,grounds,training centers, brought over a lot European coaches,players etc...It seems to be paying off. Their is a real run on US players now. Plus their young and fresh from Injuries. They also instituted a top tier goalie program.  Becasue the majority of US sports like Baseball, American Football and Basketball are real hand/eye coordinated sports, these kids grew up with great goalie skills without really knowing it.  They trained them in the nets and the American goalies are tops in the world.
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #675: Jun 29, 2009 10:49:47 am
      How dare you!

:D I know what you mean. I felt gutted for them when they were dancing and singing and then went behind but when i saw them flocking out in the 88th when they conceded, i was glad. Shocking. I hope the tossers felt humiliated when they went back to their seats.

Hated those people who left their seats after the second goal...

southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      Reply #676: Jun 29, 2009 10:55:54 am
      How many americans are gonna suddenly turn into "soccer" fans if the US pull this off ya reckon? I hate bandwagon jumpers myself.. no offence to any Americans on the forum, mind. If your on here your obviously a true fan anyways :)

I think the US exceeded their target by "almost winning" the CUP...and they've generated more hype for football back home. I really don't see how that is a bad thing at all...more fans for the US - more fans for FOOTBALL...it has to start somewhere.
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      Reply #677: Jun 29, 2009 11:03:05 am
      Why didn't you have Benni McCarthy playing? Surely he would have bought some more quality up front, the same way Pienaar had an impact on your midfield and your general play?

We could've used Benni's experience...but he doesn't get along with SAFA and/or the new coach...so he wasn't considered.

We did have strikers though (as Mphela showed it yesterday)...it's just that Santana chose to keep them on the bench. Bernard Parker - is regarded by many here to be better than the young Benni...but he was isolated upfront so apart from the 2 goals against NZ- he couldn't do much.

Time for RSA to go back and prepare for next year...and time for Santana to switch back to starting the game with 2 strikers on the field.

Apart from a few minor glitches - the tournament was a success so i'm proud of my country. Looking forward to being part of the madness for the big one next year. WOZA 2010 (*blowing vuvuzela*)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #678: Jun 29, 2009 06:11:26 pm
      Ok, the reason I hate Brazil, is many fold, and probably most of them are my blinkered view of things. I did not always hate them, that 3-2 win against Italy in the World Cup was a great performance. Socrates, Jaziniho (spelling), Zico, and the like, great team.

So here it goes, everybody loves them, (except me), they can do no wrong. They can kick the sh*t out of some one and plead innocence, as if the fouled player asked for it, and the Ref buys it. But if they are slightly touched, over they go, over and over and over… and the Ref always seems to buy this too, because they are from Brazil, they are an artist and the opposition are performing a heinous crime befouling their masterpiece.

They give the feeling that they have a right to win everything, and who on earth has given the opposition the audacity to be on the same pitch, as Brazil.

Commentators love them, fawning, creeping, salivating over everything they do, even if it is a balls up, still they did it with such class.

When they go out of a competition, it’s always a ‘shock’, a loss to the competition! Why? Who cares? When England did not qualify for Euro 2008, that was a great competition.

Everyone seems to have a Brazil shirt, Glory Hunters? I’m English, and I will not buy or wear another countries shirt. Would I wear another’s clubs shirt other than Liverpool? NO, so why wear another country’s shirt?

They play in Nike shirts, now I have stated on other posts/threads that I do not like Nike. Yes I know they make some beautiful kits, (except the scums, theirs always seem to be dreadful :lmao:). This is just a personal quirk of mine, and if Liverpool ever played in Nike, well what a quandary that would be ???

But the Nike World Tour, what was that all about. Brazil, playing 3rd rate teams, who all happened to play in Nike, with Nike advertising, Nike balls, and again everyone says how wonderful Brazil are! But they were playing poor teams, and these went into FIFA rankings, a made up hand picked tour FFS.

Any player from Brazil, MUST be good and revered, why? Because they come from Brazil, and they play beautiful football! That’s why.

So these are the reasons I Hate Brazil. My own blinkered paranoid views, and no one else’s, if you need paranoid views get your own.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #679: Jun 29, 2009 06:19:04 pm
      to be honest I kinda agree with some of your points, but in anothers you just seem to be jealous about Brazil's succes :P when a team win more than any other in the world and have so many players winning the World Player of The Year, its natural they will be more acclaimed and all that stuff. Im proud to say we are the biggest football nation in the world  8) live with that
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #680: Jun 29, 2009 06:32:05 pm
      to be honest I kinda agree with some of your points, but in anothers you just seem to be jealous about Brazil's succes :P when a team win more than any other in the world and have so many players winning the World Player of The Year, its natural they will be more acclaimed and all that stuff. Im proud to say we are the biggest football nation in the world  8) live with that
      I would like to know which points you agree with! :D
       Oh I'm not jealous. I know England will not be as successful as Brazil.
      Biggest football nation in the World? Biggest in what sense?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #681: Jun 29, 2009 06:39:17 pm
      Haha I found that interesting to read actually RedPuppy.

One thing I can say about Brazil actually - was it Rivaldo that time when the ball was hit mid region and he pretended that it hit him in the face? That pissed me off, so much.

Don't agree about the football kits though. As a kid I used to love my dad going away on business to a foreign country and bringing me back a football shirt. Maybe as an adult it's different but personally I wouldn't mind owning say a Spanish shirt for example.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #682: Jun 29, 2009 06:46:24 pm
      So here it goes, everybody loves them, (except me), they can do no wrong. They can kick the sh*t out of some one and plead innocence, as if the fouled player asked for it, and the Ref buys it. But if they are slightly touched, over they go, over and over and over… and the Ref always seems to buy this too, because they are from Brazil, they are an artist and the opposition are performing a heinous crime befouling their masterpiece.

They give the feeling that they have a right to win everything, and who on earth has given the opposition the audacity to be on the same pitch, as Brazil.

I disagree with that, if you watched the brazilian league you would see more of this kind of attitude and its not cause the players think they are untouchable or anything.

Commentators love them, fawning, creeping, salivating over everything they do, even if it is a balls up, still they did it with such class.

It sounds jealous  :D

When they go out of a competition, it’s always a ‘shock’, a loss to the competition! Why? Who cares? When England did not qualify for Euro 2008, that was a great competition.

Well, Brazil have won World Cups with teams no one believed in (like in 94 and 02) so they will always be seen as favourites, so I understand all the talk when we get out of it. But I agree its not always a shock, for example, I wasnt shocked when France knocked us out in 2006 cause we were playing really bad.

Everyone seems to have a Brazil shirt, Glory Hunters? I’m English, and I will not buy or wear another countries shirt. Would I wear another’s clubs shirt other than Liverpool? NO, so why wear another country’s shirt?

I dont see any problems about that. Even in Brazil, everybody have other countries shirts... its not like if you will support them against your own country, you just like them and the way they play. I have many friends with Holland shirts cause people here usually love them.

But the Nike World Tour, what was that all about. Brazil, playing 3rd rate teams, who all happened to play in Nike, with Nike advertising, Nike balls, and again everyone says how wonderful Brazil are! But they were playing poor teams, and these went into FIFA rankings, a made up hand picked tour FFS.

I dont know who you mean by "everyone" but in Brazil it was highly criticized, almost everybody here hate our confederation (CBF) and some even call the Seleçao as "Selenike" cause of those money grabbing pointless friendlies. So I agree with that.

Any player from Brazil, MUST be good and revered, why? Because they come from Brazil, and they play beautiful football! That’s why.

I can also agree with that, many people just look at where they were born instead of what they play. I've met a Man Utd fan (from Manchester) who was in Brazil and if you listened to him talking about Anderson, you would of thought it was Pelé - then I watch this guy play and I see no talent at all. Wonder if Anderson was from Finland :P

As for "biggest football nation", I mean in terms of competitions won, popularity, important players and all...
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #683: Jun 29, 2009 06:56:11 pm
      Get this bloody thread locked! ;)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #684: Jun 29, 2009 07:18:35 pm
      Thanks for the time to reply Diego.

Remember this is my blinkered & paranoid point of view. Of course I only see the Brazilian national team play, and not your club teams/matches, so my observations are only on those players that make the national team.

And of course I only hear our own (British) commentators talking about Brazil, so my point of view has been tarnish by my own county men, who of course are generally sycophants.

As for the National Shirts, I feel it that sometimes it is not "COOL" here to wear your national colours, but to be "Trendy" to wear someone Else's.

I do not know if the phrase "Biggest Footballing Nation" is the right one for the 3 terms you use collectively, but you can not argue with the success Brazil continues to have.

But remember this is my point of view of the Brazilian National Team, from a Question, "Why I hate Brazil".

Plus, I of course don't hate Brazil the Country, as I have never been there, so I have no opinion or knowlede on the/your country, and I do not hate any Brazilians, because I do not know any to hate, or like  :'(

And congratulations on winning (another :D) Competition.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #685: Jun 29, 2009 07:23:13 pm
      No problem mate, you have the right to hate any team you want, but since you put some points into consideration, I thought I could also put my views on it. Never seen that as an offense, and I hope you did the same with my posts.

:)
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #686: Jun 29, 2009 07:33:43 pm
      kaka won player of tourno got that wrong i think my top 3 are in 3rd donovan usa 2nd torres spain 1st xabi alonso spain
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #687: Jun 29, 2009 07:37:12 pm
      No problem mate, you have the right to hate any team you want, but since you put some points into consideration, I thought I could also put my views on it. Never seen that as an offense, and I hope you did the same with my posts.

:)

Cheers, nice to have a Trans-atlantic conversation.
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      Reply #688: Jun 30, 2009 07:56:20 am
      I never support Brazil because...

1. EVERYONE here supports Brazil... (yawn)

Other than that - I think they are a great footballing nation that produces great footballers.
      I've watched hours and hours of footage featuring the current ball wizards (Robinho, Ronaldinho...even big Ronaldo in his days) and I find it very entertaining. Most people can juggle and perform tricks on the training pitch...but the Brazilians have the skill and confidence to do it in a real match. Respect.

2. There's more than one way of playing football...it's not just the Brazilian way.

The Germans have their unique way and have had a number of successes but they don't get even half the respect that Brazil gets. Why is that?

Anyway - the current Brazilian squad is nothing like the older squads. They don't knock the ball around as they used to - Dunga's boys are all about quick passing and running...weird but it's working for them.

I respect Brazil - but I just choose not to support them.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #689: Jun 30, 2009 01:42:26 pm
      How the hell did Kaka won the player of the Tournament? I mean he played so bad even Riera was better than him.
      Luis Fabiano should have won that followed by our Torres and i think one of the Egyptian player should get third

Quick Reply