Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 360596 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #1564: Oct 30, 2011 03:40:19 pm
      Why certain people on here reds being one see Kenny as infallible but yet question Kenny because he rates Johnson higher

Sometimes the penny has a long, long, way to drop. 

It works both ways mate. You can't, on the one hand, use Kenny's picking of Glen to back up your argument whilst questioning Kenny when he picks Adam (for example) on the other. Just saying. :-\
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1565: Oct 30, 2011 03:45:15 pm
      I've got no problem with either Jonnon or Kelly in at right back which is testament to how strong the club are at that RB, particularly when you throw in young Flanagan who I also rate very highly. Jonno is a good player, obviusly his attacking qualities are there for all to see (which is important when Henderson is playing at RM) but he is also an underated defender.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1566: Oct 30, 2011 03:52:00 pm
      Agree Scott can't believe how many Liverpool fans under rate Johnson.  He is very good going forward and much better in defence then people like to give him credit for. He does have a problem with concentration and positioning at times but Steve Clarke and Kenny seem to have ironed that out
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #1567: Oct 30, 2011 04:03:17 pm
      No he should nt be. He is the best right back in England. Clearly Kenny thinks Johnson is the better full back because as soon as he is fit Kenny has thrown him straight back in as will capello for England

Kelly is not 100% fit, when he is he will be back at first choice.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1568: Oct 30, 2011 04:11:13 pm
      Im willing to bet you Johnson remains our first choice right back for the rest of the season. Kelly at the moment is at least as fit if not fitter than Johnson.  But Kenny has shown his intention.  Kelly is not injured just dropped to make way for Johnson. Kenny said Kelly was unlucky but it is clear Johnson is first choice
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1569: Oct 30, 2011 04:42:24 pm
      Im willing to bet you Johnson remains our first choice right back for the rest of the season. Kelly at the moment is at least as fit if not fitter than Johnson.  But Kenny has shown his intention.  Kelly is not injured just dropped to make way for Johnson. Kenny said Kelly was unlucky but it is clear Johnson is first choice

Yeah it does look like Jonno (when fit) might just be the manager's first choice as things stand. Kenny was very forthright in his praise for the job Jonno did filling in at left-back last season and I think he rates him quite highly. It's gonna be an intriguing battle for that spot all season I think. It's great to see some competition for places right across the board. Yo've got Agger, Carra and Skrtel all competing hard at CB, Jonno and Kelly going at it for LB, our £35 million pound record signing is spending plenty of time on the bench, Hendo and Kuyt are competing at RM and Bellamy must be pushing hard for Downing's starting spot right now as well. Added to that we've got Stevie back and young Spearing pushing hard in the middle of the park.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #1570: Oct 30, 2011 04:48:50 pm

Course he was injured that's why Flanno made it to the bench ahead of him, that is unless you think Kelly is even behind Flanno now.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1571: Oct 30, 2011 05:04:40 pm
      I'm not sure our RB position is one that's worth getting into any sort of argument of niggle over lads. We're well stocked and all three players have quality in my opinion.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1572: Oct 30, 2011 07:03:52 pm
      Kenny said he was fit the last game and said he was unlucky.it is clear Kenny rates Johnson highly when you see the interviews. As i said last season when this was brought up anyone that thinks Johnson isn't going to be first choice right back is deluding themselves
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #1573: Oct 30, 2011 07:07:56 pm
      Think Kelly was rested yesterday, wouldn't be surprised if hes still feeling a little niggle in his hammy, which would suggest why Flanno was on the bench and not him.

That being said, I do think Johnson will start ahead of Kelly when both are fit, and IMO thats the right choice at the moment. Would prefer us to start easing Kelly in to the CB position because hes destined to play there for me, the lad has everything.  Just so much competition at the moment!
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1574: Oct 31, 2011 05:27:34 pm
      Would love to see what Jonno and Downing could do together on the right flank. Downing cutting in, making space for Jonno out wide.
      pugs86
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #1575: Nov 06, 2011 10:02:11 am
      Glen Johnson: absolute rubbish; no touch, can't pass, can't tackle, can't defend, can't man-mark, can't cross a ball, can't shoot.

Why is he playing for us?

A player that Rafa brought in; that should say it all
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1576: Nov 06, 2011 10:09:51 am
      Glen Johnson: absolute rubbish; no touch, can't pass, can't tackle, can't defend, can't man-mark, can't cross a ball, can't shoot.

Why is he playing for us?

An absolute joke of a post.
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2011 10:28:50 am by ayrton77 »
      pugs86
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #1577: Nov 06, 2011 10:13:22 am
      Are you serious? Johnson is a terrible defender
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #1578: Nov 06, 2011 11:03:58 am
      For me if a player is in the team and playing well then he should stay in the team. I think its harsh on Kelly to be on the bench simply because he has been playing really well. IMO Kelly is a more complete player than Johnson, but we have two great RB's and three in the future, so its a nice problem to have.
      pugs86
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #1579: Nov 06, 2011 11:11:07 am
      Kelly for me every time ahead of Johnson
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #1580: Nov 06, 2011 11:14:46 am
      Thought Glen Johnson was poor yesterday.

For so long we have sought refuge in the fact that whilst he is not a brilliant defender he does have the pace to go past people.

Well I didn't see any of that yesterday.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1581: Nov 06, 2011 12:08:51 pm

You mean like Alonso, Garcia, Torres, Mascherano, Agger, Reina etc.

Says a lot about Rafa, your right especially when Torres more than doubled his transfer fee, Alonso trebled his, Reina would possibly treble his at worst double it, Mascherano would have went for a lot more if we wernt in financial dire straights and Tom & Georgey boy wernt desperate for cash to stave off the creditors.

Total bullshit post from yourself to use Johnson to launch a dig at Rafa.

thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #1582: Nov 06, 2011 12:13:59 pm
      What did Kelly do wrong is my question, why did Johnson come straight back in?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1583: Nov 06, 2011 12:16:26 pm
      Thought Glen Johnson was poor yesterday.

For so long we have sought refuge in the fact that whilst he is not a brilliant defender he does have the pace to go past people.

Well I didn't see any of that yesterday.

Thank god for that, thought it was just me that thought he was poor yesterday.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1584: Nov 06, 2011 12:39:27 pm
      You think he is poor every week though jd.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #1585: Nov 06, 2011 12:45:08 pm
      Found Johnson positionning rather bad as well, and I was always worried when their left midfielder got the ball.

Now he did make more efforts than many of his team mates to create some chances.

About comparing him with Kelly, I think their level is currently similar (with Kelly a little better defender, and Johnson a little better for counter attack), which also mean the younger Kelly has the potential to end better if he continues to improve.

For this season I'd rotate them instead of having one starting everytime he's fit and the other rotting on the bench (this if Johnson can't play Right Winger, a position where he should be tested I think, considering our weakness in this position).
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #1586: Nov 06, 2011 12:45:29 pm
      What did Kelly do wrong is my question, why did Johnson come straight back in?
      What did Robinson wrong, why did Enrique come straight in to our formation?! This is not how it works. My question would be why does Johnson play regularly for England(when fit) while Kelly is yet to be given a go??
       I agree though that Kelly is a fantastic prospect but there are some games(like yesterday)when we need Johnson's type of a full back (although his performance yesterday was poor) while there are games where we have to be more solid at the back and this is why Kelly is there.

Quick Reply