Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

La Liga. Best league in the world?

Read 3322 times
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      La Liga. Best league in the world?
      Jul 02, 2009 01:57:44 pm
      This summer seems to be all about Real Madrid and Barcelona. They are in for all the top players, including ours!  >:( So is this the end for the Premier League as "the best league in the world"? Players are now turning down the chance to play in England to move to Spain.

In the 1990's it was Serie A, the last decade it has been the Premier League. The next 10 years, La Liga? I know people will say that it will only be Barca and Real competing for top honours but is that so much different from the "Top Four"? Against all the odds Barca beat the English teams to win the Champions League this season. Could we compare that to United in '99 when the Premier League took over?

Of course a league isn't really judged by the quality of football. It's more about the quality of players and the TV ratings. Two things that are increasingly on the up in La Liga.

Is this the end of an era for the Premier League? Will this affect the money our club could recieve?
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: La Liga. Best league in the world?
      Reply #1: Jul 02, 2009 02:08:25 pm
      It takes more than just two sides throwing ridiculous money all over the shop to make a league the best/toughest in the world. It isn't just about how good the top 4/3/2 teams are. It's all about the depth in the league and how hard it is to earn results against sides outside of the european places.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #2: Jul 02, 2009 02:41:51 pm
      It takes more than just two sides throwing ridiculous money all over the shop to make a league the best/toughest in the world. It isn't just about how good the top 4/3/2 teams are. It's all about the depth in the league and how hard it is to earn results against sides outside of the european places.

But what I'm saying is that TV ratings have a big say on the dominance of a league. And if 4 out of 5 of the Ballon D'or contenders from 2008 are playing in Spain, then that will appeal to the TV companies. We're already seeing some La Liga games on Sky. This huge influx of top players means that Barca and Real are going to have some dead wood lying around. If they sell those players within Spain, the quality of the opposition increases. I'm not saying that right now La Liga is the best in the world, I'm asking can it overtake the Premier League in the next few years?
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #3: Jul 02, 2009 02:46:02 pm
      But what I'm saying is that TV ratings have a big say on the dominance of a league. And if 4 out of 5 of the Ballon D'or contenders from 2008 are playing in Spain, then that will appeal to the TV companies. We're already seeing some La Liga games on Sky. This huge influx of top players means that Barca and Real are going to have some dead wood lying around. If they sell those players within Spain, the quality of the opposition increases. I'm not saying that right now La Liga is the best in the world, I'm asking can it overtake the Premier League in the next few years?

Good few points. I think a decent amount of Real and Barca's deadwood will probably end up at the top teams in England and Italy myself. It's a real shame TV companies have such a big role in it. It could certainly overtake the Premier League over the next few years. A lot can happen in a year, let alone three or four.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: Jul 02, 2009 02:56:16 pm
      All down to personal opinion really isn't it.

It would be interesting to see though the amount of foreign players in the Spanish league compared to the Premier League. I reckon there are more in the Premier League aren't there?

For a lot of foreign players a move to the Premier League as a whole is a dream whereas for La Liga the main attraction is the two clubs that are Real Madrid and Barcelona, particularly Madrid.

The quality of players in the Premier League still remains better in my opinion.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #5: Jul 02, 2009 02:57:29 pm
      The very fact that Real and Barca are spending money on players this summer just shows they want to make the league go stronger. There are only 2 teams that are in for a shout for the title in the La Liga, and that is Real and Barca. Top players are moving there and so are sponsors going to flock there as well, gonna gain in lots of TV revenues, profits, and just consider how much Real earn from the sales of shirts.

However, for me the best league in the world is still the EPL. Arguably the strongest and the competitive nature is there. In money sense just look at how much these teams are worth as compared to others in the La Liga etc, many EPL teams have foreign ownership which just goes to show the amount of cash invested by foreigners into the club (exception of Tom and George).

Well my point is that only a few teams can compete with the EPL teams in terms of competiviteness, and probably money sense as well because of the massive profits they earn to sell to broadcast the games to players.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #6: Jul 02, 2009 03:02:26 pm
      Good few points. I think a decent amount of Real and Barca's deadwood will probably end up at the top teams in England and Italy myself. It's a real shame TV companies have such a big role in it. It could certainly overtake the Premier League over the next few years. A lot can happen in a year, let alone three or four.

True, but other than Inter, Juve and Milan can many Italian teams afford the players on their way out of Barca and Real? Man City will more than likely get a few of them. Has beens like Robben that still think they are great and deseve ridiculous wages, they'll suit City.

However, for me the best league in the world is still the EPL. Arguably the strongest and the competitive nature is there. In money sense just look at how much these teams are worth as compared to others in the La Liga etc, many EPL teams have foreign ownership which just goes to show the amount of cash invested by foreigners into the club (exception of Tom and George).

Just looking at your point here. I the PL did end up second to La Liga would the foreign investors lose interest and F**k off leaving their clubs in pieces? Worrying thought!
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #7: Jul 02, 2009 03:04:21 pm
      They have 2 big teams, and the rest are average. We have 4 big teams, about 6 good teams and the rest are average.

La Liga is not the best in the world. They'll be the best when we see an all Spanish CL final.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #8: Jul 02, 2009 03:21:30 pm
      La Liga is not the best in the world. They'll be the best when we see an all Spanish CL final.

I still wouldn't say that would make La Liga the best 'League' in the world, it would just show at that current time the finest two European clubs are Spanish.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #9: Jul 02, 2009 04:46:48 pm
      They have 2 big teams, and the rest are average. We have 4 big teams, about 6 good teams and the rest are average.

Are you joking?

La Liga has far superior depth in clubs than the Premiership, I always believed that the Premiership is top heavy with the top 4. You look at club outside the top 4 in both league and match them up to play I believe La Liga would win more. 

Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #10: Jul 02, 2009 07:33:55 pm
      You only have to look at the relegation battle in the PL compared with La Liga. Here it was much tighter, and there were about 5 teams that could have gone down on the last day, whereas in Spain there was like 2 teams contending for 1 more spot in La Liga.

And the top clubs in the EPL are better than in Spain, so we have a much smaller range of quality, and in Spain there's a bit of a gulf.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #11: Jul 02, 2009 10:40:36 pm
      You only have to look at the relegation battle in the PL compared with La Liga. Here it was much tighter, and there were about 5 teams that could have gone down on the last day, whereas in Spain there was like 2 teams contending for 1 more spot in La Liga.

And the top clubs in the EPL are better than in Spain, so we have a much smaller range of quality, and in Spain there's a bit of a gulf.

Relegation battle I don't believe speaks volume about the quality of the league, it was tight because there are a lot of poorer teams and you have to look at the point totals to show you. Betis were relegated at 42 yet if you have 42 points in the Premiership your mid-table.
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #12: Jul 02, 2009 10:45:53 pm

Totally agree.EPL still the best even if La Liga are spending on Stars but they are just two big teams.
      RedWilly

• 9,224 posts | 1648 
      Reply #13: Jul 02, 2009 11:01:06 pm
      Relegation battle I don't believe speaks volume about the quality of the league, it was tight because there are a lot of poorer teams and you have to look at the point totals to show you. Betis were relegated at 42 yet if you have 42 points in the Premiership your mid-table.
      Agreed. Similarities are there between the leagues, same teams challenging for the league over and over. However going further down in the PL you only get Everton who have consistently been the side challenging the top teams (Villa only have done that for 1 season)

Over the last few years in Spain there has been the likes of, Atletico, Valencia, Sevilla, Espanyol. Two of those teams appeared in a UEFA cup final, you wouldn't see Everton and Villa in a UEFA cup final. In Spain there always seems to be a team that will come out and challenge for the Champions league place, in England like I said it's just been Everton in recent years.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #14: Jul 02, 2009 11:05:32 pm
      Are you joking?

La Liga has far superior depth in clubs than the Premiership, I always believed that the Premiership is top heavy with the top 4. You look at club outside the top 4 in both league and match them up to play I believe La Liga would win more. 

Villa, Everton (pains me to say it, I know), Spurs and City are four teams that are on the up.

I reckon on their day they could beat anyone in La Liga apart from Madrid and Barca.
      RedWilly

• 9,224 posts | 1648 
      Reply #15: Jul 02, 2009 11:07:51 pm
      Villa, Everton (pains me to say it, I know), Spurs and City are four teams that are on the up.

I reckon on their day they could beat anyone in La Liga apart from Madrid and Barca.
      Spurs have apparently been breaking the top four since 2005! Really don't see them doing much again next season, are capable but just always seem to make things blow up in their faces!!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #16: Jul 02, 2009 11:09:26 pm
      Spurs aren't going to get very far with Redknapp as manager. He for me is one of the most overrated managers out there.

I'm still sticking with my belief that the EPL is a better league.

What determines 'better' anyway? Better players? Better clubs? Better equality?
      RedWilly

• 9,224 posts | 1648 
      Reply #17: Jul 02, 2009 11:21:59 pm
      Spurs aren't going to get very far with Redknapp as manager. He for me is one of the most overrated managers out there.

I'm still sticking with my belief that the EPL is a better league.

What determines 'better' anyway? Better players? Better clubs? Better equality?
      Agreed on Redknapp.

I think that in terms of a whole league being better then you have to judge it on the depth. Which is where La Liga tops the prem IMO, but then the top teams in England are better than those in Spain IMO despite Barca winning the treble last season....everyone knows that if that was Liverpool we would of had them!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #18: Jul 03, 2009 12:33:22 am

Yet they never show it on the European stage which is another reason why English sides outside the top four are not that strong. Valenica and Villareal are the 5th and 6th place sides in Spain yet you seen both sides in UCL knockout stages and Everton can't even make it to a group stage of any European competition.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #19: Jul 03, 2009 12:56:40 am
      Our big 4 are better than theirs imo, but the rest of La Liga is far superior than the rest of the Prem
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #20: Jul 03, 2009 12:57:53 am
      Technically, Yes.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #21: Jul 03, 2009 07:34:16 am

Exactly. The range is much smaller here in the premier league, which makes it more competitive.
      justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #22: Jul 11, 2009 09:31:53 pm
      Premier league is the best league in the world. Until I see Barca, Madrid and another 'Spanish giant'  if one exists in the Champs League semis along with just one English club for three seasons on the trot the Spanish league does not have a leg to stand on

Quick Reply