Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 707520 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,262 posts | 4934 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #4232: Feb 21, 2014 02:35:29 pm
      It was great.
      Mad. Disjointed. Emotional for me at the end.

Agree.

We though it was brilliant as well.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3849 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4233: Feb 21, 2014 02:36:42 pm
      Agree.

We though it was brilliant as well.

I've had to mellow out my Lego playing since watching it.
      Those that have seen the end will know.
      It plucks at the strings if you're a dad.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #4234: Feb 21, 2014 02:37:08 pm

*minor spoilers.. kind of*

It's an interesting issue and one that I was thinking of myself while I watched the film. First of all, the film itself is quite well done, though a bit on the long side. The best part of it is the acting, diCaprio is particularly good as Belfort, and Jonah Hill puts in a good performance as well. As I said though, I felt it all dragged on a bit.

As for the content, it most definitely does glorify the money, excess and misogyny that was so blatant in the corporate world at that point. However, that's what films do, so I think its best to try and read between the lines. It didn't give much thought for the victims of Stratton Oakmont's shady business practices and, without wishing to spoil the ending, I got the message that Belfort ultimately didn't pay a whole lot for his crimes and got off fairly comfortably. It felt like the film was saying Belfort royally fu**ed up but he still didn't really get punished. I don't know if this was intentional, or whether anyone else felt the same watching the end, but I certainly felt that the message was people can still get away with this stuff, and if they don't, it's not like they face a long jail sentence or anything.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #4235: Feb 24, 2014 01:08:07 am
      F***ing quality film this Chopper, found the full version of it on YouTube. Proper boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxPw-aBRVOA
      Bier
      Reply #4236: Feb 24, 2014 05:41:23 pm
      I was extremely interested in watching The Wolf of Wall Street weeks ago, until I read this "open letter" and felt not so sure anymore.

What do you guys make of it?

I get why she's offended. But it's no different than a movie like Goodfellas. A movie I love, and find highly entertaining and funny at times. You could say that too glorifies the gangster lifestyle too much, and doesn't focus enough on the harm these people do. I imagine the daughter of a gangster could write a very similar letter. Although Wolf is a bit more comedy than Goodfellas. But with Wolf and Goodfellas, at no point do I admire these people, or think what they're doing isn't very bad and harmful.  As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster. I love that line, but I've never actually wanted to be a gangster. But as movies they both have alot of entertainment value to me. The main problem I guess with Wolf is  that it's a real story so the victims are real, but I'm aware the film is only losely based on the truth, and isn't the actual truth. I don't know. It's like with video games. I hate guns and war in reality, but I can enjoy a good first person shooter like Battlefield. It's very easy for me to seperate entertainment from reality.

I watched 12 years a slave and Captain Phillips earlier this week. Both great movies. Both very dramatic subjects ofcourse and intense, but very good movies. Has anyone else seen Captain Phillips? Was on the edge of my seat for alot of the movie. And that last scene was so good, Tom Hanks was great there. That scene alone is oscar worthy.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #4237: Feb 25, 2014 03:33:18 pm
      Has anyone else seen Captain Phillips? Was on the edge of my seat for alot of the movie. And that last scene was so good, Tom Hanks was great there. That scene alone is oscar worthy.

Yep, just watched it there Sunday night & totally agree with you. How do I say this without spoiling it? I turned to the lads I was watching it with & joked that what had happened in the scene could well be real! Mainly because the scene was acted so well by Tom Hanks.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #4238: Feb 25, 2014 03:42:02 pm
      Might watch Captain Phillips tonight, heard nothing but good reviews from it.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4239: Feb 25, 2014 06:08:05 pm
      I get why she's offended. But it's no different than a movie like Goodfellas. A movie I love, and find highly entertaining and funny at times. You could say that too glorifies the gangster lifestyle too much, and doesn't focus enough on the harm these people do. I imagine the daughter of a gangster could write a very similar letter. Although Wolf is a bit more comedy than Goodfellas. But with Wolf and Goodfellas, at no point do I admire these people, or think what they're doing isn't very bad and harmful.  As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster. I love that line, but I've never actually wanted to be a gangster. But as movies they both have alot of entertainment value to me. The main problem I guess with Wolf is  that it's a real story so the victims are real, but I'm aware the film is only losely based on the truth, and isn't the actual truth. I don't know. It's like with video games. I hate guns and war in reality, but I can enjoy a good first person shooter like Battlefield. It's very easy for me to seperate entertainment from reality.

Totally agree. I've been thinking about it along the same lines ever since I read that letter. It did kill a bit of the excitement I had for watching the film though. And being a real story, I wholeheartedly empathize with that woman's feelings
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,262 posts | 4934 
      Reply #4240: Mar 04, 2014 10:52:08 pm
      Just watched Billy Elliot there for the first time in ages and forgot how good it is.

Great film.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4241: Mar 05, 2014 01:16:37 am
      Just watched Billy Elliot there for the first time in ages and forgot how good it is.

Great film.

Indeed. Caught it tonight as well. Last time I watched it was when I was half way through secondary school. Love the subplot and the setting of it around the miners strike. That said for a film on the strife of miners I've always enjoyed Brassed Off the most.

Superb cast and story in both movies.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4242: Mar 08, 2014 10:35:29 pm
      Watched all of True Romance for the first time.

Morally reprehesible.
      On an intellectual level, it's just plain wrong.
      The romance is wrong, it's both sick and twisted.

Oh, it's a great film though.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,262 posts | 4934 
      Reply #4243: Mar 09, 2014 12:32:50 am
      Watched all of True Romance for the first time.

Oh, it's a great film though.

That it certainly is.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,262 posts | 4934 
      Reply #4244: Mar 09, 2014 12:34:51 am
      Watched Thor The Dark World tonight.

Enjoyed it but not as much as the first one.

Watching Vanilla Sky for the first time in ages right now on Film 4 and its still a really good film.

Soundtrack is awesome as well.
      « Last Edit: Mar 09, 2014 12:46:12 am by srslfc »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #4245: Mar 14, 2014 12:20:19 pm
      300: Rise Of An Empire

If you want historical accuracy, meaningful dialogue and acting depth you're in the wrong place  :laugh:

If you want lots of blood and gore and Eva Greens tits, crack on (pun intended).

Not as good as the first, a bit disjointed, but is exactly what I expected.
      Apart from Eva Greens tits, because I didn't know they were awesome.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #4246: Mar 14, 2014 12:23:12 pm

Goodfellas is as real as Wolf of Wall Street, based as it is on the book of his life written by Henry Hill called "Wiseguys"
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #4247: Mar 14, 2014 12:25:14 pm

This is where I'll have a problem, Di Caprio, along with Clooney & Crowe, leave me cold.  Just never seem to enjoy watching films starring them.  Have the same kind of problem with the comedian Lee Evans, no idea why.

I know why. He's an unfunny c**t.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #4248: Mar 14, 2014 12:26:20 pm
      300: Rise Of An Empire

If you want historical accuracy, meaningful dialogue and acting depth you're in the wrong place  :laugh:

If you want lots of blood and gore and Eva Greens tits, crack on (pun intended).

Not as good as the first, a bit disjointed, but is exactly what I expected.
      Apart from Eva Greens tits, because I didn't know they were awesome.

300 was totally ace. I'm clearly not going to the cinema to watch the sequel, but it's on the list for download when it's released to the rental market.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #4249: Mar 14, 2014 05:38:23 pm
      Never watched the godfather trilogy before until last week. Personally thought the first two films were okay and the third was sh*t.

The films are over hyped in my opinion, the second film doesn't really show Vito's rise, it shows him become a respectable man but not the actual godfather, that was a let down for me. The ending of the third film was poor also.

Rumors are that if there is a 4th godfather Vincent will become the godfather, accompanied by Leonardo DiCaprio playing some sort of role in the film, maybe Leo being part of a godfather film could be what he needs to finally win an oscar aha.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4250: Mar 15, 2014 12:31:44 am
      I know why. He's an unfunny c**t.

He's clearly not unfunny, he has a rather large audience for his humour, he just isn't my cup of tea. Your style of posting, yet again, needs work and I've noted in other threads you seem to be trying to start conflagrations.  Is there a reason you try to start these confrontations?  Do you need this kind of conflict because you're starved of affection and attention in the real world and any kind of response here serves as your 'validation' as a troll human being?  Even when, on the odd occasion, you make a good point, I largely ignore you because of your, to be polite, abrasive style.  It is possible to make your points to stimulate debate rather than hate and argument and I would hope you could have realised this from your own cognitive thinking, whether you're willing, and I can't see why you wouldn't be,  or capable is up to you and, I'd guess, debatable and if you can't, I believe The Avalanches put it best, that boy needs therapy.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #4251: Mar 15, 2014 12:15:23 pm
      Never watched the godfather trilogy before until last week. Personally thought the first two films were okay and the third was sh*t.

The films are over hyped in my opinion, the second film doesn't really show Vito's rise, it shows him become a respectable man but not the actual godfather, that was a let down for me. The ending of the third film was poor also.

Rumors are that if there is a 4th godfather Vincent will become the godfather, accompanied by Leonardo DiCaprio playing some sort of role in the film, maybe Leo being part of a godfather film could be what he needs to finally win an oscar aha.

The trouble is, mate, your sort of watching them out of context now. It's like watching an old Hammer Horror film, you'd probably think they were tacky and not scary in the slightest but they were groundbreaking at the time and had people hiding behind cushions.
      It's the same with the Godfather films, they were revolutionary at the time but have been copied and parodied so many times now that they seem passé and mild compared to the ultra-violent gangsta films that followed.
      I hope that doesn't sound patronising, I just think it's very difficult for younger people to look back at 'old' films and appreciate them fully.
      That said, I think most agreed the third was crap, even back then!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #4252: Mar 17, 2014 07:19:33 pm
      Just rewatched 'Tango & Cash' the Stallone & Kurt Russell film….wow….what a load of garbage most action films were in the 80's & early 90's!
      Just couldn't turn it off though….epically bad!
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #4253: Mar 17, 2014 09:26:41 pm
      The trouble is, mate, your sort of watching them out of context now. It's like watching an old Hammer Horror film, you'd probably think they were tacky and not scary in the slightest but they were groundbreaking at the time and had people hiding behind cushions.
      It's the same with the Godfather films, they were revolutionary at the time but have been copied and parodied so many times now that they seem passé and mild compared to the ultra-violent gangsta films that followed.
      I hope that doesn't sound patronising, I just think it's very difficult for younger people to look back at 'old' films and appreciate them fully.
      That said, I think most agreed the third was crap, even back then!

The Godfather 1 and 2 are brilliant films and just as good now as they were when first released. Truly great films like that don't age.

Django Unchained is a good movie, but just because it's "modern" doesn't mean it's better than Unforgiven, or For A Few Dollars more. It isn't even close.

As for the special effects and ultra-violence, I don't agree. Look at the remake of Robocop and Total Recall. Bigger budgets better effects. Utter sh*te compared to the originals
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #4254: Mar 18, 2014 07:04:09 am
      The Godfather 1 and 2 are brilliant films and just as good now as they were when first released. Truly great films like that don't age.

Django Unchained is a good movie, but just because it's "modern" doesn't mean it's better than Unforgiven, or For A Few Dollars more. It isn't even close.

As for the special effects and ultra-violence, I don't agree. Look at the remake of Robocop and Total Recall. Bigger budgets better effects. Utter sh*te compared to the originals

Did you even read my post?
      At what point did I disagree that the first two Godfather films were classics?
      Where did I state a preference for modern, effects-laden, big budget films?

I've had no conversations with you since you joined this forum, that I recall so can't see how I might have upset you yet in the space of a few days, you've belittled one of my posts by responding sarcastically and adding nothing to the conversation then you decided to skim read (if even that) my post in here and impose your own feelings on me as though I'd just contradicted them when in fact, it seems we agree and might have actually been able to have a civil conversation on the subject.

As it is, such social skills appear beyond your reach so please treat the above as purely rhetorical questions and don't bother lifting your knuckles from the floor to type a response, you will have been added to my ignore list within 30 seconds of me hitting 'Post' on this sidetracked thread contribution.

Troll on.

Quick Reply