Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Pre-Match: Liverpool vs Thailand

Read 7345 times
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Pre-Match: Liverpool vs Thailand
      Jul 20, 2009 11:18:58 am
      Liverpool vs Thailand22nd July

Vs

Liverpool FC v Thailand
      The first of a two-game mini-tour of South East Asia for the Reds sees them go to Bangkok to play the Thai national side and meet their adoring fans in the East.

Captain Steven Gerrard misses the trip as he defends charges against him in court for an incident in a bar in Southport at the end of 2008.

Liverpool’s Spanish five of Fernando Torres, Xabi Alonso, Pepe Reina, Alvaro Arbeloa and Albert Riera could return to action after a longer summer break due to their international commitments in the FIFA Confederations Cup last month.

The club will use this game and Sunday’s match in Singapore as a way to promote and expand the Liverpool FC brand worldwide and gives a chance for our massive Asian fanbase to see the stars

Hopefully this game will be more pleasing to watch. Score a few goals and maybe give the players more confidence before the new season starts. If we lose this, I am probably going to start worrying wheter we can actually challenge for the title this season regardless of whos playing.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool vs Thailand
      Reply #1: Jul 20, 2009 11:58:46 am
      Now the first teamers are back hopefully they'll play and we'll put some goals past these.

It'll be interesting to see what Rafa does in Gerrard's absence - whether he will put someone like Voronin in his place or whether he will just got with 442. Maybe Lucas will play behind Torres, that's if Fernando plays of course.

Wednesday then? I'll look forward to it.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #2: Jul 20, 2009 12:09:37 pm
      Our attacking can't get any F***ing worse than it currently is, so I'll go for a 2-0 win. Pacheco and a Kuyt header.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #3: Jul 20, 2009 12:26:19 pm
      Would play:

Reina

Johnson        Carra     San Jose      Insua

Masch        Spearing
                          Babel               Yossi                  Riera
                                               Torres

2nd Half:

Cavalieri
                          Darby        Kelly       Skrtel     Dossena

Plessis       Lucas
                           El Zhar          Voronin          Babel
                                               Nemeth
      Don't we have to play Nando for at least 45mins? Think i read somewhere that it was to do with the marketing side of the match  ???
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #4: Jul 20, 2009 12:39:20 pm
      Haven't seen any of the pre season games but the reports aren't too inspiring I'll take a win of any description for the next one and hope it can be a positive input into the teams morale. What we don't need is anyone having anything but the highest hopes for the kick off with the prem. a start like last year is unacceptable,if we had started like we finished last year we'd have pissed it.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #5: Jul 20, 2009 12:48:03 pm
      3-0 for me. First team to start, besides Gerrard.

The Reds' travelling party in full: Reina, Arbeloa, Johnson, Dossena, Insua, Agger, Skrtel, Carragher, Mascherano, Lucas, Alonso, Riera, Benayoun, Kuyt, Torres, Voronin, Babel, Ngog, El Zhar, Cavalieri, Gulacsi, Degen, Spearing, Plessis, Nemeth, San Jose, Pacheco, Kelly.
      redref
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #6: Jul 20, 2009 02:46:39 pm
      I think we'll get a good result here, but I still cant see any future for Plessis and El Zhar. Neither have the required technique that is required of a liverpool player and I'm not saying that from just a few performances. I can only think that we keep em on long contracts in the hope that they go for a decent amount down the line.

Nemeth is a great player, I just hope that when he does play, he gets some support and doesnt have both of the wingers taking up his space and not laying on any chances for him.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #7: Jul 20, 2009 02:51:15 pm
      Just want a better performance to be honest although I think we will nick a win here.

1-0.

Voronin with the goal I think.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #8: Jul 20, 2009 02:55:34 pm
      I think we need some bumps in the score. Rapid and St Gallen are far far stronger opposition, and even Brazil U23 who came to Singapore did them 3-0 easily, and it was their first game for fitness before the Olympics.

But still I think we will run out clear winners. Never mind how the mancs nearly drew the Malaysians, but for me its 3-0.

If we are in top form I would give a score of maybe 8-0. I still remember back in 2001 the mancs did the Singaporeans 8-1. And that was pre-season.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Jul 20, 2009 03:05:45 pm
      29 - 0.

I think we'll be more intent on scoring in this game, we have to. The Reds in Asia will lift us and hopefully a much better performance.

Reina

Johnson        Carragher         Kelly         Insua

Mascherano       Lucas

El Zhar                Benayoun               Babel

Torres

Cavalieri

Darby            Skrtel             Ayala            Dossena

Spearing          Plessis

Kuyt                      Pacheco                      Riera

Nemeth
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      Reply #10: Jul 20, 2009 03:11:33 pm
      Yeah, I was hoping for a rugby scoreline too. ;D
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #11: Jul 20, 2009 03:40:32 pm
      I hope we create chances and score goals in this game and then we can put the defeat yesterday behind us.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #12: Jul 20, 2009 03:57:25 pm
      I'd like to see Pacheco play behind Torres in the second half myself.

Looking forward to it. Think we'll score a few in this one.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #13: Jul 20, 2009 04:03:21 pm
      I'd like to see Pacheco play behind Torres in the second half myself.

Looking forward to it. Think we'll score a few in this one.

Same here mate, that'd be fantastic to watch.

Still, i think Benny will. Rafa said he likes their partnership.
      Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #14: Jul 20, 2009 10:06:24 pm
      So long as we win and actually score some goals, I'll be happy.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #15: Jul 20, 2009 11:52:48 pm
      So long as we win and actually score some goals, I'll be happy.

I'll second that. Goals please lads.
      Kawklee
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts | -3 
      Reply #16: Jul 20, 2009 11:58:39 pm
      Pretty sure Darby isn't on the teamsheet, you guys might have to switch Darby for Degen
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #17: Jul 21, 2009 12:36:24 am
      Im not going to predict a score line for this game because the last 2 i have predicted and we failed to win.

But if i was to put money on it i would go for 5-0 ;) :laugh:
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #18: Jul 21, 2009 12:50:38 am
      Reina

Arbeloa/Darby---Ayala---Skrtel---Insua

----------Mascherano--------Lucas------------

El Zhar------------Pacheco---------------Riera

---------------------N'Gog-----------------------

2nd half:

Cavalieri

Johnson---Carragher---Kelly---Dossena

---------------Alonso-----------Spearing---------

Kuyt---------Benayoun----------Babel

----------------------Torres---------------

1st: 2-0 (N'Gog, Mascherano)
      2nd: 1-0 (Benayoun)

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #19: Jul 21, 2009 12:51:35 am
      Lets score some F***ing goals this time!!
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      Reply #20: Jul 21, 2009 12:28:50 pm
      Gerrard's Message To Fans In Thailand
      JAMIE CARRAGHER passed on a message from Reds skipper Steven Gerrard to the Thai fans.

The absence of Gerrard from the Far East trip due to his ongoing court case in Liverpool was a major blow to supporters here.

Carragher said: “Like me Stevie has been here before and really enjoyed his time in Thailand so he’s really disappointed about missing out.

“But we all understand why and it’s just one of those things.

“I’m sure he will be doing his fitness work back home and when we get back from this trip he will be ready to go for the new season.”

The Premier League opener against Spurs may still be nearly four weeks away but Carragher already has his sights set on glory.

He added: “We have to use this time well to improve and make sure we’re ready to go to Tottenham.

“We all want to go a step further. We had a very good season in the league but if we can improve on that by one or two per cent that could make the difference. That’s what we’ll be trying to do.

“We will give it everything next season but there are other very good teams in the league.

“We pushed Manchester United very close last year. They will be up there again, Chelsea will come back and possibly Manchester City so there will be a lot of competition.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/07/21/steven-gerrard-s-message-for-liverpool-fc-fans-in-thailand-100252-24203312/
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #21: Jul 21, 2009 03:09:57 pm
      A win will be good enough for me.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #22: Jul 21, 2009 10:30:53 pm
      DAY 2: DOUBLE TRAINING, A PALACE AND CAKE

Paul Eaton in Bangkok 21 July 2009

A second action-packed day has come to an end in Thailand in which the Reds have endured a double training session - but there was a birthday surprise in store for one lucky player.

Liverpool's fanatical fan-base were out in force from early morning, greeting the team onto their coach as the players made their way to an early training session. This Japanese fan had flown in especially to meet her heroes - and came complete with drawings of Fernando Torres and his wife, which she was able to present personally to El Nino.

It may have only been 9am when the players first sampled the national stadium earlier today, but the searing temperature and 85 per cent humidity ensured the fitness levels would be put under the most serious examination.

A session of gym work on the track around the pitch was followed by an intensive spell of ball work as Rafael Benitez's side look to sharpen up ahead of Wednesday's clash against Thailand.

In fact, so humid were the weather conditions, the LFC TV camera had trouble acclimatising to its new surroundings, with the lens covered in condensation every time we went to record. Thankfully, it soon adapted to the ridiculously hot weather and filming could be continued.

Full marks for Dr Waller who, recognising the club media team were close to passing out in the heat, rushed to our aid with much-needed bottles of water. Thanks Doc.

Glen Johnson was the only player who sat out training on the pitch this morning, although he did take part in the gym session and then trained fully in the evening. He's expected to be available for the clash with Thailand after making a full recovery from an achilles problem.

A keen observer at the training session was Thailand manager Peter Reid - and the former Everton and England midfielder told us old rivalries will die hard come match night. "I think I'll have to wear a blue suit and blue tie, just for a bit of needle," he joked. "I'm looking forward to the game though. It'll be a big test for our lads. We beat Pakistan recently but Liverpool will be a much bigger test. I really feel Liverpool have a chance this season, if they keep their squad together and keep Torres and Gerrard fit."

Later in the day the players were split into groups to attend commercial events across the city. Many of the players enjoyed a visit to the Grand Palace (below), others went to official events organised by adidas and Carlsberg while Rafa was sharing his ideas with local coaches as part of the club's knowledge transfer programme.

There was a surprise in store for Dirk Kuyt at the adidas event he attended when a group of youngsters presented him with a birthday cake ahead of his 29th birthday tomorrow. As his adoring crowd burst into an impromptu rendition of 'You'll Never Walk Alone', Dirk blew out the candles and was genuinely moved by the gesture. "It's always nice to be respected," he said. "It was a nice surprise to get the cake - so thank you to our fans who organised it." Happy birthday Dirk!

Dirk also endeared himself to the locals at the evening training session when, upon leaving the field, he bowed in customary Thai fashion to spark scenes of delight in the packed stands.

It was a far more intense session this evening with the players taking part in a full-sized game in which Andriy Voronin netted a sublime goal.

The Spanish contingent of Fernando Torres, Xabi Alonso, Pepe Reina, Alvaro Arbeloa and Albert Riera didn't take part in the game, but instead were given running exercises around the pitch.

After the session the players took time to meet and greet fans on the side of the pitch, posing for pictures and signing autographs. Liverpool are continuing to take Thailand by storm.

Wednesday's agenda is dominated by the big match between Thailand and Liverpool, kick-off 8pm. The players are training at the stadium in the morning before enjoying a rest and a pre-match meal in the afternoon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't realise that Peter Reid was the Coach of Thailand, extra incentive to beat them then  ;)

Don't think we'll see any of the Spanish lads till later in the second half somehow, and is seems that the temperature may play a part in the game, the humidity may take it's toll.

A win of any kind would be most welcome tomorrow and I hope Dirk scores on his birthday.

Quick Reply