Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Formula 1

Read 578187 times
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 822 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #6578: Dec 16, 2021 09:16:11 am
      Final race shenanigans aside, Max was the better drive over the course of the season.

If it wasn't for a couple of bouts of bad luck/dodgy incidents (one being Silverstone) he would have gone into this race either already champion or just needing points finish.

I felt sorry for Hamilton on that last lap because he knew he was a sitting duck and he personally did nothing wrong but at the same time Max is a deserving champion.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4588 
      Reply #6579: Dec 16, 2021 09:22:33 am
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,022 posts | 2718 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6580: Dec 16, 2021 09:53:24 am
      Final race shenanigans aside, Max was the better drive over the course of the season.

If it wasn't for a couple of bouts of bad luck/dodgy incidents (one being Silverstone) he would have gone into this race either already champion or just needing points finish.

I felt sorry for Hamilton on that last lap because he knew he was a sitting duck and he personally did nothing wrong but at the same time Max is a deserving champion.

Deserved champion if you win it fair and square, he didn’t. You mention Silverstone but none of the tracks Max was a tw@t on? That sums up Max supporters.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2110 
      Reply #6581: Dec 16, 2021 09:53:31 am

For all the talk about Silverstone (which I firmly believe to have been at best a racing incident, at worst Max closing the door knowing Leiws was there - Lewis only received the penalty because it was Max who ended up in the tyres) you have to remember how Max deprived Lewis of probable victory at Monza taking him out of the action there. Max's reckless driving cost him more than it earnt him by way of that DNF at Silverstone. If he'd lost someone at Red Bull would have been wise to take him aside and tell him to cool it. On the contrary, the entire team only fuelled such behaviour in Max so that advice would never be forthcoming in such an event. But when he kept a clean nose, his sheer consistency throughout got it to him in the end and a just champion.

But Lewis was equally deserving in my view. While his worst moments were worse than Max's (Baku, Monaco) his greatest moments were greater. Interlagos and generally his concentrated aggression throughout those last 4 races was astounding. Even more so when you consider what a cock up Bottas in the other Mercedes looked.

So while Max was more consistent throughout, he didn't reach the higher levels that Lewis did. No driver this century, with maybe the exception of Schumacher, has operated on a higher plain. Apex of genius.
      « Last Edit: Dec 16, 2021 10:00:48 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 822 
      Reply #6582: Dec 16, 2021 09:59:25 am
      Deserved champion if you win it fair and square, he didn’t. You mention Silverstone but none of the tracks Max was a tw@t on? That sums up Max supporters.

I am not a Max supporter ;D

I wanted Lewis to win.

I mentioned Silverstone as that's where there was the biggest points difference between the two due to an incident. Max is no saint and I think last couple races he was too aggressive. But he was the better driver over the course of the season, so the anger should be towards the FIA not Max or Max fans.
      « Last Edit: Dec 16, 2021 10:05:13 am by RC9 »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2110 
      Reply #6583: Dec 16, 2021 10:05:29 am

About as close as we've come to a statement from the Merc/Lewis camp. And a very strong statement it is too.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 822 
      Reply #6584: Dec 16, 2021 10:06:51 am
      For all the talk about Silverstone (which I firmly believe to have been at best a racing incident, at worst Max closing the door knowing Leiws was there - Lewis only received the penalty because it was Max who ended up in the tyres) you have to remember how Max deprived Lewis of probable victory at Monza taking him out of the action there. Max's reckless driving cost him more than it earnt him by way of that DNF at Silverstone. If he'd lost someone at Red Bull would have been wise to take him aside and tell him to cool it. On the contrary, the entire team only fuelled such behaviour in Max so that advice would never be forthcoming in such an event. But when he kept a clean nose, his sheer consistency throughout got it to him in the end and a just champion.

But Lewis was equally deserving in my view. While his worst moments were worse than Max's (Baku, Monaco) his greatest moments were greater. Interlagos and generally his concentrated aggression throughout those last 4 races was astounding. Even more so when you consider what a cock up Bottas in the other Mercedes looked.

So while Max was more consistent throughout, he didn't reach the higher levels that Lewis did. No driver this century, with maybe the exception of Schumacher, has operated on a higher plain. Apex of genius.

Like I said I actually wanted Lewis to win, but all I am saying is shenanigans aide Max is a very worthy winner and for Lewis to congratulate him the way he did, same with his dad and Max dad they know it too.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #6585: Dec 16, 2021 10:08:45 am
      they were equal coming into the last GP so no Max was not the better driver he had the better Car even Newey admits this so surely in an inferior Car to match Max Lewis was the better driver which has been mentioned by quite a few present and former F1 drivers and on Sunday he was just superb until Massi decided he didnt like the obvious outcome of the race,
      Its very much for me a case of very unsporting conduct from the FIA and an attempt to change the narrative of Merc winning which they achieved.
      It just leaves a bad taste in the mouth a bit like Mo getting taken out in the Final and them not losing a man to a red Card it doesnt sit well.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2110 
      Reply #6586: Dec 16, 2021 10:10:03 am
      Like I said I actually wanted Lewis to win, but all I am saying is shenanigans aide Max is a very worthy winner and for Lewis to congratulate him the way he did, same with his dad and Max dad they know it too.

Of course they knew it. But equally, if Masi hadn't made that decision and Lewis had driven home to victory, you'd expect Max and his dad to do the same to Lewis as he was equally deserving.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 822 
      Reply #6587: Dec 16, 2021 10:11:55 am
      Of course they knew it. But equally, if Masi hadn't made that decision and Lewis had driven home to victory, you'd expect Max and his dad to do the same to Lewis as he was equally deserving.

I would expect that yes. The resurgence of the merc and Lewis in the latter part of the season was top notch! I hate the FIA for what they did, if they were making decisions for the name of racing and it being a motor sport, why not red flag the damn thing and give everyone a fighting chance!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2110 
      Reply #6588: Dec 16, 2021 10:52:07 am
      Mercedes won't go ahead with their appeal after accepting the FIA's commitment to reviewing the regulations and the process. They've said they'll hold the FIA to account on that. What does that mean? Removal of Masi as race director?

I reckon if they pursued the case then they'd have won, such was the FIA's climb down last night in a desperate bid to keep Mercedes on side. But the reality is it has been messed up beyond recognition. Some sort of compensation should have been sought by Mercedes.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4588 
      Reply #6589: Dec 16, 2021 11:06:47 am
      Mercedes won't go ahead with their appeal after accepting the FIA's commitment to reviewing the regulations and the process. They've said they'll hold the FIA to account on that. What does that mean? Removal of Masi as race director?

I reckon if they pursued the case then they'd have won, such was the FIA's climb down last night in a desperate bid to keep Mercedes on side. But the reality is it has been messed up beyond recognition. Some sort of compensation should have been sought by Mercedes.

That official that they won’t be perusing the appeal...? If so but pissed off as I would have dragged every c**t into the courts..

Max will be forever know as winning a tainted title...
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,022 posts | 2718 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6590: Dec 16, 2021 11:07:24 am
      I am not a Max supporter ;D

I wanted Lewis to win.

I mentioned Silverstone as that's where there was the biggest points difference between the two due to an incident. Max is no saint and I think last couple races he was too aggressive. But he was the better driver over the course of the season, so the anger should be towards the FIA not Max or Max fans.

There was no errors with the stewards at Silverstone, they  made the right call. If Max wasn’t as aggressive as he is WELL KNOWN FOR!! It wouldn’t of happened, he’s only himself to blame.

I disagree, as good as Max is he isn’t the better driver. Hamilton lost the Championship in the stewards room not on track. We’ve all seen Hamilton turn it around in the last four races and clearly had the momentum going into the last. It really is very simple, if the stewards didn’t fcuk up Hamilton world champion.

Would everyone of complained Hamilton won it in the stewards room? Course not!!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 822 
      Reply #6591: Dec 16, 2021 11:13:28 am
      There was no errors with the stewards at Silverstone, they  made the right call. If Max wasn’t as aggressive as he is WELL KNOWN FOR!! It wouldn’t of happened, he’s only himself to blame.

I disagree, as good as Max is he isn’t the better driver. Hamilton lost the Championship in the stewards room not on track. We’ve all seen Hamilton turn it around in the last four races and clearly had the momentum going into the last. It really is very simple, if the stewards didn’t fcuk up Hamilton world champion.

Would everyone of complained Hamilton won it in the stewards room? Course not!!

Agree to disagree here mate, either way we should be in for an exciting season next year!

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4588 
      Reply #6592: Dec 16, 2021 11:23:56 am
      Yeah official...Merc have withdrawn their appeal at the request of Lewis who stated he didn’t want to win an 8th title in the courtroom...

So Max with a first tainted title..l
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2110 
      Reply #6593: Dec 16, 2021 12:15:04 pm
      That official that they won’t be perusing the appeal...? If so but pissed off as I would have dragged every c**t into the courts..

Max will be forever know as winning a tainted title...

I think the FIA/F1 would have lost if it went right to the top. The problem with that is it would damage the sport beyond repair and Mercedes would probably leave the sport in time. Merc know that Lewis would not have wanted it won for him in the courts (even if the case is there). But it really shows the anger and strength of feeling that many would happily see the sport wrecked in the courts and beyond because it threw core values of fairness, decency and protocol out of the window. I totally get that from that point many will see it as irredeemable now.

I don't think anyone wants it to get to that stage but the question now is how far will Merc hold the sport to account from this point? For one, the likes of Masi and the stewards involved should have no place in the sport. Secondly, I think Mercedes should ban Netflix from access for Drive To Survive - that would help reaffirm f1 along sporting lines rather than be used as some sort of staged entertainment.

Though last night's statement was arrogant in pushing the misunderstanding onto 'drivers, teams and fans' the very fact that the FIA are conducting a review/process into the events on Sunday show that they know they fu**ed up.

This is the worst the sport has looked this century.
      « Last Edit: Dec 16, 2021 12:22:17 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2110 
      Reply #6594: Dec 16, 2021 12:34:16 pm
      https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/status/1471449707134267398?s=20

Sensational stuff coming from Toto Wolff. It seems any resolution between Mercedes and Masi is nigh on impossible. That makes Masi's position untenable surely?

Also being reported that Wolff said he 'hopes Lewis will continue racing' which throws his future into doubt. If Lewis walks away from the sport because of this then that would be cataclysmic.

Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #6595: Dec 16, 2021 01:03:14 pm
      Disappointed with the decision not to take this to the courts. I'll never watch the 'sport' again.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #6596: Dec 16, 2021 01:24:06 pm
      Disappointed with the decision not to take this to the courts. I'll never watch the 'sport' again.

RB lack class Horner is a pr**k, the FIA lack integrity and Mercedes lack the stomach for a fight. People again have been omitted from the decision they pay a fortune to watch F1 and buy the Merchandise and Pay Sky it is they who have been let down. The punter has not been given any consideration at all and what we witnessed is not what we paid for its fraud in my book
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4588 
      Reply #6597: Dec 16, 2021 01:25:45 pm

Toto Wolff fears Lewis Hamilton could quit F1 after being 'robbed' of title.

Team principal says he has been in daily dialogue with Lewis Hamilton following controversial conclusion to Formula One season

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff has admitted he does not know whether Lewis Hamilton will continue in Formula 1, saying he hopes the 36-year-old will rediscover his passion for the sport after the way in which he was “robbed” of an eighth world title in Abu Dhabi on Sunday.

In an explosive press conference on Thursday, after Mercedes confirmed they were dropping their appeal against the result of that race now that the FIA has agreed to launch an investigation into what happened, Wolff said the Brackley team could “not continue in a sport that is meant to be sport followed by entertainment and not the other way around.”

Wolff said it was unacceptable that teams “are held ransom by ad hoc decisions” adding “there needs to be clear measures in place before the start of the season so that every driver, every team, and the fans understand what's on and what is not.”

ADVERTISING

Reading between the lines, it seems Mercedes may well have threatened to quit unless the FIA launched the investigation into Sunday’s events which they have now announced.

On the subject of his star driver, Wolff said he was in “daily dialogue” with Hamilton. But it would take time to process what had happened.

Wolff confirmed that neither man would be in Paris on Thursday night at the FIA’s Prize Giving gala. Mercedes will be represented by chief technical officer James Allison instead, who will receive the constructors’ trophy on behalf of the team.

As one of the top three finishes in the drivers’ championship, Hamilton is required to attend by the FIA. But it would be a major surprise if they tried to sanction him for non-attendance given the events of the last few days.

Wolff said he just hoped Hamilton would continue racing and “return stronger, with a love of the sport, and trust the decision-making of the sport” next year.

“I would very much hope that Lewis continues racing because he's the greatest driver of all times,” Wolff said. “When you look at it from the point of view of the last four races, he dominated on Sunday. There was not even a doubt who won the race. And that was worthy of winning the world championship.

“So we will be working through the events over the next weeks and months. And I think as a racer his heart will say ‘I need to continue’ because he's at the peak of his game.

“But we have to overcome the pain that was caused upon him on Sunday. Also because he is a man with clear values and it’s difficult [for him] to understand that that happened.

“I’m in daily dialogue with him but also respect that there is not a lot to talk about at the moment. Each of us copes in their own way with the feelings that we have at the moment. I just need to do the utmost that I can to help him overcome these feelings that he has in order for him to return stronger, with a love of the sport, and trust the decision-making of the sport next year. I wish very much that this would be the case.”

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,068 posts | 3435 
      Reply #6598: Dec 16, 2021 02:03:02 pm
      What date does the new season start ?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #6599: Dec 16, 2021 02:26:44 pm
      if you dont trust the people who organise the Sport why would you put yourself up for them to pull the rug at the last minute again. At the moment there are no guarantees this could not happen again. Stupid SKY pundits Karun think Max just got lucky as Lewis had his luck earlier in the season what F***ing planet are these people on. When will the hard of hearing or thick people understand this is not about Lewis and MAx but about a corrupt organisation that acted like the Mafia on Sunday.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4588 
      Reply #6600: Dec 16, 2021 03:02:07 pm

Wolff also added that Mercedes “cannot continue in a sport that is meant to be sport followed by entertainment and not the other way around.
      ”

Quick Reply