Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Pre Match: Liverpool FC v Atletico Madrid [8/8/09 - 15:00 kickoff]

Read 6827 times
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Pre Match: Liverpool FC v Atletico Madrid [8/8/09 - 15:00 kickoff]
      Aug 06, 2009 01:57:47 pm
      Right, this is it.

This is the last pre-season game we are having before the actual season kicks off, with an opening day fixture against Spurs at White Hart Lane. This, is also the only pre-season game that is going to be played at Anfield.

We have not been performing that well in the pre-season, and I think that is what every team in the EPL is going through as well. So far, we have lost to Espanyol 3-0, Rapid 1-0, drew with St. Gallen 0-0, and Thailand 1-1, and won FC Lyn 2-0, and Singapore 5-0. Which stands at a record of W2 D2 L2.

This hasn't been as perfect as we've liked as we gear towards the new season. No one wants to lose, especially when it is coming from a club of our calibre. However, pre-season is merely more about fitness, as the results count for nothing. The draws and losses against lesser opposition would count for nothing, as long as we get off to a rocket start in the EPL. I'll rather lose all in pre-season, but still come back stronger for the new season!  :laugh:

As we enter our last pre-season game against Atletico, I think it is time that after 2 weeks of pre-season for the Spanish lads, it is right to give a full runout for them. Torres especially, as it would be a memorable matchup for him and also a good chance to catch up with his old mates.

I fully expect the first XI to start, and I fully expect to see that this would be treated like a real EPL game. This is our last chance to make sure we are readily prepared for the new season, and it would be the last chance to gel our first XI together after that 1 month long break from footy for most of them. The pre-season form hasn't been good, and with a good solid 2-0 win at the back of our heads, lets all keep a positive mindset entering the final pre-season game.

I would like to see the possible signings making in time for this as well. Maybe they would not have that understanding or know their teammates yet, but at the very least, I hope that the new players can be at Anfield to at least catch the game, and to learn the Liverpool Way of doing things!  ;)

Come on you Reds, the last chance to get your confidence as sky high as possible, before we smash the Lilywhites at White Hart Lane!

:kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :scarf:

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2009 02:00:40 pm by crouchinho »
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Re: Prematch : Liverpool FC v Atletico Madrid
      Reply #1: Aug 06, 2009 02:13:16 pm
      Just read that this game won't be shown on the E-season ticket on the official site in the following countries due to Uefa rules....UK, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Czech Republic, Belgium.

What a load of bollocks!!!  £4.99 a month and now you can't even watch the game.  :f_steam:  Didn't think I'd have to hunt for decent streams until the season started!! >:(

Anyway I'd expect the first XI to start the game with a few maybe getting 90 mins.  Should be a big boost to Torres as well who has looked a bit off in the last 2 games.  Hopefully a few goals from him and gain some momentum for the season opener.

flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Re: Pre Match: Liverpool FC v Atletico Madrid
      Reply #2: Aug 06, 2009 06:07:06 pm
      Will probably be a similar lineup as to the one against Espanyol, hopefully with better defenders this time as we need the momentum.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #3: Aug 06, 2009 06:14:41 pm
      I think that Athletico Madrid game will have a different atmosphere then Espanyol game as it is at Anfield i am looking forward to this game just hope that we play up to the hype 2-1 i think Gerrard double.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Aug 06, 2009 07:18:49 pm
      Really looking forward to this one, expecting to see our strongest possible starting XI and looking for the lads to get a good run out in preperation for Tottenham. I can not Imagine Torres will need any thing other than the fact that he is playing against his former club to get him up for this match, he is Idolised by both sets of fans and I'm sure the Madrid fans will be singng his name along with the old kop faithfull.

I think we may be in for a real treat here  I can imagine the game will be played at a good pace with players of both teams looking to make an impression, I hope Rafa starts with Torres and Gerrard in Tandem with a good midfield behind them so Torres can show the travelling Madrid fans just how far he has come on in the red of Liverpool. All in all I'm expecting a cracking game of football and one hopefully we can win convincingly to sign of our pre-season in style.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5: Aug 06, 2009 09:23:41 pm
      Its been a long break but finally we are at the last game before the season starts proper :)
      Looking forward to this one just to see how we go as im expecting our strongest team to at least play 45 together. We really need to play this game with the start of the season in mind, and play it like a competitive fixture to get that mindset in place. Really need to hit the season running with the mindset we had in the last third of last season, only way we are going to challenge.
      danielevans
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 67 posts | -4 
      Reply #6: Aug 06, 2009 09:44:48 pm
      Let's show on saturday that we will be hugh title contenders again this season and really get the atmosphere going for this season. Im going for a 3-1 win babel, gerrard and torres goals
      ynwa
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #7: Aug 06, 2009 10:16:24 pm
      hope to see strongest side possible for at least first half and then make changes,think we will get good result and then we will be ready for the big kick off next week.

3-0 to the mighty reds
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #8: Aug 06, 2009 10:28:40 pm
      Want to see the first 11 that Rafa is going to start against Spurs.

Reina, Johnson, Insua, Agger, Carragher, Mascherano, Aquilani, Kuyt, Babel, Gerrard, Torres.

Subs. Cav, Kelly, Dossena, Degen, Ngog, Benayoun, Lucas.

I'm going for 2-1.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 826 
      Reply #9: Aug 06, 2009 10:31:03 pm
      People keep mentioning Aquilani but i am sure he is out for 2weeks.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #10: Aug 06, 2009 10:38:25 pm
      People keep mentioning Aquilani but I am sure he is out for 2weeks.

I would've thought he was able to play if he's having a medical in the next 48 hours?

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 826 
      Reply #11: Aug 06, 2009 10:40:41 pm
      Yeah that's what i thought. But he is injured he just started to run couple days ago. I think he is not match fit you will have to ask someone that knows RedLFCBlood explained it to me before i think.
      LiverpoolEntourage
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #12: Aug 06, 2009 10:44:40 pm
      Want to see the first 11 that Rafa is going to start against Spurs.

Reina, Johnson, Insua, Agger, Carragher, Mascherano, Aquilani, Kuyt, Babel, Gerrard, Torres.

Subs. Cav, Kelly, Dossena, Degen, Ngog, Benayoun, Lucas.

I'm going for 2-1.

Nemeth should be on that bench instead of Ngog. Honestly Voronin would do a better job than Ngog. One of the worst buys of all time.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 826 
      Reply #13: Aug 06, 2009 10:46:02 pm
      I prefer Ngog to Voronin think Ngog hold's the ball up well and tries to get in the box unlike Mr Voronin.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #14: Aug 06, 2009 10:47:10 pm
      Yeah that's what I thought. But he is injured he just started to run couple days ago. I think he is not match fit you will have to ask someone that knows RedLFCBlood explained it to me before I think.

Pretty sure you are right there. Read he had only just started light running not long ago. Ankle's are fickle things, i know from experience so id rather we don't risk him in this one. Give Spearing & Lucas another decent run, or Silva ;)
      Bowlesy88
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #15: Aug 06, 2009 10:48:21 pm
      i think aquilani is still recovering from ankle surgery. although i have been impressed by lucas in pre season, so feel he should get a start.

i feel johnson really needs to make an impression in this match, as our most expensive ever defender, he's been quite poor in pre season. Although i do expect him to pick up as the season starts going.

paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #16: Aug 06, 2009 10:52:32 pm
      Nemeth should be on that bench instead of Ngog. Honestly Voronin would do a better job than Ngog. One of the worst buys of all time.

Don't agree with that. I would prefer Nemeth be used as our back up forward but I think Ngog is one for the future. I watched every reserve game last season and when Nemeth was injured, Ngog played now and again and he was head and shoulders above the rest.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #17: Aug 06, 2009 10:54:42 pm
      Me & me Dad are going down on Saturday, made up.

It'll be interesting to see how the game turns out, and if Aquilani will play.  It will be a good way for Torres to greet his old fans and team mates on a mutual level.  I'm not going to tempt fate by predicting the score.

But I think we will win.  ;)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2858 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #18: Aug 06, 2009 11:00:15 pm
      Do not Aquilani has actually signed yet has he? Plus is he not injured?

Me & me Dad are going down on Saturday, made up.

It'll be interesting to see how the game turns out, and if Aquilani will play.  It will be a good way for Torres to greet his old fans and team mates on a mutual level.  I'm not going to tempt fate by predicting the score.

But I think we will win.  ;)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #19: Aug 07, 2009 12:07:47 am
      Not sure if Aquilani will play, but a stong team for sure as Rafa would say
      Cellieh
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts |
      Reply #20: Aug 07, 2009 12:53:09 am
      I hope Aquilani will play.

I like Atlético.
      4:1 for the Reds.
      !!!!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6819 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #21: Aug 07, 2009 01:17:19 am
      What time is kick-off ?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 826 
      Reply #22: Aug 07, 2009 01:20:10 am
      15:00

Quick Reply