Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Club Vs Country: Where do you stand?

Read 12456 times
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Re: Club Vs Country: Where do you stand?
      Reply #69: Apr 19, 2009 01:53:48 am
      Cock to England, unless it's summertime and there's no footie a la LFC. That's the only time you ever see an decent England games. All the ones that break up the season (usually when we're in great form) are always sh*te games with England playing sh*te and getting lucky. And the man utd players always get crocked just when the england games are due to take place. I'm not English, I'm Scouse.
      johnolly
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Reply #70: Apr 19, 2009 10:09:08 am
      I agree with Alsmal, its nothing to do with being patriotic or an age thing. I am in the Army and have been for 20 years, whatever nationality we are there is a built in pride of being British and all things British, our national pride is one of the main reasons the rest of europe hates us. Just look at Platini moaning is a good reflection on how we are seen.

Now back to the thread, Englands managers are not English. Why would them doing well at England make my chest swell? We tried one English manager who was a success with???? The team seems to be picked on popularity, not merit. If there is a friendly you know there will only be 45 minutes of football, then subs, then dull.

I am Liverpool football club through and through, and watching legendry players being over looked by international teams pisses me off, Carra could not get a game in front of Ledley flaming King. Hansen, still thought by many to be one of the best ever centre halfs only has something like 30 caps for scotland. Steven Gerrard who i beleive is the best all round player in the world and certainly the best centre midfielder( a little bias maybe) has to play left or right midfield just to accommodate fat frank? Why not just not play fatty? I really do not like Andy Gray but even he said if he was England manager he would build the team around Stevie to get the best from him.

So in conclusion i am proud to be British, i have been to war twice for my country but i cannot feel national pride for my countries football team, but in the space of a week being a Liverpool fan has nearly brought me to tears, twice. I have been dancing around like a small child when we scored the second against Chelsea and felt dejected when we lost, then felt amazing pride for the players who put everything into a game, and pride when all you could here at Stamford Bridge was YNWA. And then the memorial service the very next day. We love our club through thick and thin, good times and bad times and clubs around the world are jealous of us. I love my country the same, but England football does nothing for me.

Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #71: Apr 19, 2009 12:07:19 pm
      Club for me all the way but can you really blame me when at international level I have to cheer for players like Tim Cahill and Harry Kewell.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #72: Apr 19, 2009 12:35:33 pm
      I am totally for club like i have said before and also I like watching other national teams lay because they play the game so beautifully ( especially Spain and Argentina) , I don't really have much pride for the national football team in my country ( India ) because I can't seen any games of theirs because they never manage to make it to international level and and really aren't good at all ( the best player , Sunil Chetri finally manged to get a move to Coventry City ) , ( I'm not unpatriotic ...I fully support India in cricket and hockey ( games we can actually play very well) ) But about Steven and England .....  I want Steven to retire from England like Carra did and just focus on club . It just makes me twitch to see him celebrating with players I hate so much : Rooney , Ferdinand , Terry , Carrick , Neville etc. 
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #73: Apr 19, 2009 01:08:08 pm
      Just a few observations:

When I was a kid I dreamed of playing for Liverpool and then pulling on the Green of Northern Ireland; nothing would have been a higher honour. There would have been nothing greater than wearing my country's colours. Sadly, although I was an above average player, it was not to be.

My cousin played for Northern Ireland about a dozen and a half times, my nephew played rugby for Ulster,( both with pride) and now my 13 year old daughter is on course (if all falls right) to wear either the Green of Ireland or the Red White '' Blue of G.B. in hockey.

I can't prove why Northern Irish, Irish, Scottish and maybe even the Welsh are more passionate about their respective national teams but it could stem from the fact that we are starved of top quality football "at home". Therefore, when the opportunity arises, we appreciate "our boys" more.

The wain in respect for English international football seemed to coincide with both the English F.A's. decision to scrap the Home Nations tournament in '83/'84 and the influx of "foreign players" (hate that phrase). Maybe if that Championship was re-introduced, (along with bragging rights), the interest generated may rekindle some passion.

For me it'll always be Liverpool over England.  ;) ;D

johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #74: Apr 19, 2009 03:56:25 pm
      !st LFC
      2nd LFC
      3rd LFC.
      But thats only since Ferdinand and the likes of Terry have become involved you cant possibly vent your spleen at them one day then support them the next because they are playing for England. We dont even have an English manager its a joke. But whilst a scum bag like Terry is Captain I will never support them.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #75: Apr 19, 2009 05:23:41 pm
      LIVERPOOL  Obviously ...............Thats A No Brainer (As Lawro Is Oft To Say.)

I now live in France and support Spain in the Internationals. They have our lads in the team and play cracking football.

Its the whole culture of the FA and the managers that has got the England situation where it is.

Years ago a manager would be proud to be supplying players to the England team.
      Managers like Bill Nicholson of Spurs provided a conveyor belt.

Take today.
      Fergie is the first one to moan and get his players dodging the call up.
      The clubs and managers are too self obsessed and too scared of getting their players back crocked up.

Youve the problem such as Shepherd at Newcastle who went mental on "precious" Michael after did himself in and unleashed a legal missive on the FA to pay Owens wages. Compensation culture.

With the intensity or our rivalry with the Mankers, the Gooners and Chavs, I really cant raise any enthusiasm if Shrek scores or Fat Lampard gets a shot in...and that is basically now what its all about.

However, there was one night many moons ago when I was proud of the England performance.

September 1st 2001.

England 5 Germany 1.

Should read

Liverpool 5  Germany 1

Owen 3, Gerrard and Heskey.

rondog
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #76: Apr 19, 2009 10:10:00 pm
      Club, by miles.

I'm Scottish, and although I enjoy the fact that all my mates can agree and cheer for the same team for once, I just end up longing for the Premier League again.

I hold my hand up and say that during the Euro campaign, I really enjoyed watching Scotland play, and actually looked forward to the matches. However, since Gordon Brown seems to have sapped all of the spirit out of our game, its just a bit boring.

LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #77: Apr 19, 2009 10:27:57 pm
      Club without a doubt....

I enjoyed watching Spain play last summer as it was sublime football in parts but glad England weren't there tbh...

Fed up with the whole media circus, 1966 reruns, nationalistic pride, flags from cars, Wags bullshit, Beckham myth making and worse of all JT as captain....

Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #78: Apr 19, 2009 10:35:05 pm
      Liverpool all the way
      AccyRed
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #79: Apr 19, 2009 10:42:05 pm
      Club first for sure, if England lose it doesn't hurt just annoys but if one of the reds gets injured playing for his country that really gets my back up. Remember Gary Neville played for England and there was no way I was cheering for him.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #80: Apr 19, 2009 10:49:54 pm
      If there is an england match on tv then i'll watch every one and support them ,If liverpool play at anfield on the same day i'll watch liverpool every time over the england game ,while i understand to play for your country at any sport is the peak of your sporting goal the difference is simple ...the national game is not passionate the team play out of duty ,liverpool on the other hand play with heart ,soul and passion ,that is what hits the supporters of this great club so for me .....liverpool come first
      john jones
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #81: Apr 19, 2009 10:58:53 pm
      It has to be Liverpool first and last as they are the best.
      laoisred
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #82: Apr 19, 2009 11:25:21 pm
      Liverpool always and for ever.       :aaliverpool2xt1:
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #83: Apr 19, 2009 11:42:43 pm
      Liverpool always.
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #84: Apr 21, 2009 03:47:01 am
      I'm Irish and I support Ireland. But Liverpool will always come first for me.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #85: Apr 21, 2009 04:02:37 am
      Though my national team aint that great but even if I had been a Brazilian,Liverpool would always come first for me.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #86: Apr 21, 2009 09:19:17 am
      Liverpool all day long, move England games to the North West then there MIGHT be some atmosphere. Its like another Cockney club.
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      England - Where Do You Stand With Them??
      Reply #87: Aug 12, 2009 06:55:48 pm
      Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong place or posted before.

Basically i just want to know where everyone on this board stands with England (providing your English of course). For me i would put Liverpool above my country (England) any day!! I feel more passion towards my club than i do my country, but that does'nt mean in any way that i dont want to see my country do well, because i do! At the Euro's or the World Cup you'll find me being excited and intrigued with how England do and you'll find me being passionate in the hope that we will finally win something!!

I understand that back in the day the rest of the country may have looked down upon the city of Liverpool, which in my opinion is a disgrace and the stereotyping of Scousers really gets on my tits (and im a Southerner!), but at the end of the day can any Liverpool fan seriously say that they wouldnt want to see their Country win a major tournament?? How would you all react if we reached the World Cup Final and won it??

Like i said above, Liverpool comes above England for me everytime and always will, and yes i do lose a hell of a lot of interest in watching England if a Liverpool player isnt playing, infact you'll probably find me not bothering watching it!! But i still want to see my country win things. It's tough supporting the likes of Terry, Lampard and Rooney and i do despise them in club football, i even find it hard supporting them for England and that could be one of the main reasons for Liverpool fans not giving a monkeys about the national team, but at the end of the day, how can most of us say we would rather see someone else win a major tournament than our own country of birth??

I just want to know what everyones feelings are on this??
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Re: England - Where Do You Stand With Them??
      Reply #88: Aug 12, 2009 07:00:54 pm
      Liverpool shenanigans and going's on only in this thread fella, should've bunged it in the General Football forum.

That aside I'm happy to support my country and will continue to do so(even if it does contain Shrek and Terry but it's England I support and not them) but the idiots who set up the fixture lists need shafting, especially the berk who organised this friendly!!
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Re: England - Where Do You Stand With Them??
      Reply #89: Aug 12, 2009 07:08:34 pm
      In a friendly or a qualifying game against the likes of Andorra etc, you'll find that I wont cheer or be overly happy if a player not from the Liverpool team scores. But if a Liverpool player is on the ball or scores, I will raise a smile, whereas in the major tournaments if anyone scores im a happy bunny. I despise Rio Ferdinand, Wayne Rooney, Frank Lampard etc and I dont feel comfortable supporting them, I literally spit venom at them when their in their club colours, but at the end of the day when their in an England shirt, you just have to support them or we would fail as a country and I think thats probably the main reason why people dont have passion for their country anymore, because of the massive rivalry in the premiership.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #90: Aug 12, 2009 07:13:22 pm
      Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong place or posted before.

No worries, there was an existing topic, but pretty old, so I've merged them. ;)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #91: Aug 12, 2009 07:21:21 pm
      Liverpool will all ways come first, even though I will gladly sit and get pissed and support England, But I'd much rather see us be succesfull than I would England.

Quick Reply