Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Sotiris Kyrgiakos (AEK Athens)

Read 10955 times
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Sotiris Kyrgiakos (AEK Athens)
      Reply #23: Aug 18, 2009 11:33:34 pm
      I'm joining Liverpool, claims defender Kyrgiakos
      Greece defender Sotiris Kyrgiakos has claimed he is set for a surprise move to Liverpool from AEK Athens - however his club said there was no agreement in place.

Sotiris Kyrgiakos

GettyImages

Sotiris Kyrgiakos: Greek heading to Anfield

The 30-year-old centre-back said farewell to his team-mates ahead of AEK's departure to Romania for the first leg of their Europa League play-off tie against SC Vaslui.

Kyrgiakos said on his personal website that he is on his way to Anfield.

"I would like to inform the fans of AEK that on Monday night I received an offer from Liverpool, an offer which I have accepted," he said.

"I understand this has come at the worst possible time ahead of the crucial games for qualification to the Europa League, but the fact that I will play for Liverpool is like a qualification in itself for me. I have taken my final decision which was accepted by the president and the coach."

However it appears the clubs have not agreed on a fee at this stage.

An AEK club statement announced: "At this moment there is no final agreement between AEK and Liverpool FC."

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has been keen to buy a centre-back to ease the club's injury problems before the transfer window shuts.

However Liverpool's American owners are believed to be refusing to release funds for such a deal.

Benitez was today asked several times at his media conference ahead of tomorrow's match against Stoke to explain his cash-flow problems, but on each occasion he said: "I do not want to discuss money."

Kyrgiakos, who has 49 caps for Greece, will be joining his sixth club if the transfer is completed.

The tough-tackling defender, admired for his combative style and aerial ability, has had successful spells at Rangers and Eintracht Frankfurt but has not played in England to date.
      ESPN Soccer
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #24: Aug 18, 2009 11:41:28 pm
      "Combative style and aerial ability"

I like it.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #25: Aug 18, 2009 11:58:50 pm
      It says the owners are refusing to release funds, what the F**k does that mean, do they want us to play without a centre back, he'll cost no more than 3mill. the time may come soon to hit these people in the place they won't like, their pockets, this cannot go on....
      panos
      • fan from GREECE
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts |
      • panos from Greece
      Reply #26: Aug 19, 2009 01:13:00 am
      hey,guys,stay cool!!! i know kyrgiakos very well. i am Greek. he has great aerial abillity,he can score with his head. he is very dynamic CB. he is very very strong and he can be the bad guy of the match. he is like a street fighter. he can drives you crazy with nerves and he can stay calm. although you believe that he will be the fourth choice of Rafa,i have different opinion. wait and you will see.he has played in Panathinaikos many years in CL and he is very experienced.
      i am sure that you will remember me very soon. just give him a chance and help him to feel like his home.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #27: Aug 19, 2009 01:44:57 am
      Holy crap. Not another pony tailed star :lmao:...I wish him the best!

How will we ever pronounce his name? :mad:
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #28: Aug 19, 2009 01:52:20 am
      I also remember him from his Rangers days but he was really unimpressive at the time so it doesn't really fill me with much confidence about this potential signing even though the reality is he will play around 15 games unless major injury crisis. I thought the same about Riera though who did prove me wrong and turn out to be a decent player so lets see I guess.
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #29: Aug 19, 2009 02:48:56 am
      He may not be a dream signing but if we have to bring someone in (which we do) better to get a giant with experience than anything else.  We''ll turn and sell him for profit guaranteed.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #30: Aug 19, 2009 02:51:52 am
      He would be a good buy a lad with some experience is what our squad is in need off at the moment.
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Sotirios Kyrgiakos
      Reply #31: Aug 19, 2009 03:49:47 am
      I'm joining Liverpool, claims defender Kyrgiakos
      Greece defender Sotiris Kyrgiakos has claimed he is set for a surprise move to Liverpool from AEK Athens - however his club said there was no agreement in place.

The 30-year-old centre-back said farewell to his team-mates ahead of AEK's departure to Romania for the first leg of their Europa League play-off tie against SC Vaslui.

Kyrgiakos said on his personal website that he is on his way to Anfield.

"I would like to inform the fans of AEK that on Monday night I received an offer from Liverpool, an offer which I have accepted," he said.

"I understand this has come at the worst possible time ahead of the crucial games for qualification to the Europa League, but the fact that I will play for Liverpool is like a qualification in itself for me. I have taken my final decision which was accepted by the president and the coach."

However it appears the clubs have not agreed on a fee at this stage.

An AEK club statement announced: "At this moment there is no final agreement between AEK and Liverpool FC."

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has been keen to buy a centre-back to ease the club's injury problems before the transfer window shuts.

However Liverpool's American owners are believed to be refusing to release funds for such a deal.

Benitez was today asked several times at his media conference ahead of tomorrow's match against Stoke to explain his cash-flow problems, but on each occasion he said: "I do not want to discuss money."

Kyrgiakos, who has 49 caps for Greece, will be joining his sixth club if the transfer is completed.

The tough-tackling defender, admired for his combative style and aerial ability, has had successful spells at Rangers and Eintracht Frankfurt but has not played in England to date.

Source: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=668740&cc=3436
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Sotirios Kyrgiakos
      Reply #32: Aug 19, 2009 04:56:45 am
      There allready is a thread about him.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #33: Aug 19, 2009 05:25:50 am
      Well I doubt he possesses the same anticipation and positioning Sami did, but he is the same height :laugh: who know's maybe he'll be a massive threat from corners and get us 10 goals this season! Or atleast one.

he wont get a single one if we keep going with stevie at corners ^^

and to every hater: give him a break, let him play at least one game, then talk. plus, as far as I remember, greece won an euro basing its game on a defense-relying system so why all the noise...
      ManCityOlympiakos
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #34: Aug 19, 2009 05:41:37 am
      This is a joke, Benitez is NUTS. Don't listen to what other Greeks are saying, this guy is over the hill and NOT Liverpool material. For f*ck's sake, he wasn't Liverpool material even when he was at his best! These days he's just a hot-head who sells himself as the 'tough guy' on the pitch (gotta sell something, especially to the fans).

By the way, the 3 mil euro was his buy-out clause.

Since most Olympiakos fans also support Liverpool, you should see the anger this has caused in our forums (I'm enjoying it actually :P).

PS I am a bit biased obviously, but this transfer just doesn't make any sense...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #35: Aug 19, 2009 08:21:59 am
      I just wish he will "magically" become another Vidic  :-\

Or, better still, another Sami, eh?  ::) F**k Vidic and the horse he rode in on. Sotiris, as a Red, will be given my full support.

Yankees go home!
      Hiberpool
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 143 posts | -2 
      Reply #36: Aug 19, 2009 09:18:29 am
      Having watched him whilst he played at the Huns against my team Hibs I can confirm that he is indeed a bombscare, :o but as stated before the yank clowns have Rafa's hands tied when it comes to transfer money, unless they are preparing one last big money move before the window shuts, David Villa anybody.   ;)
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #37: Aug 19, 2009 09:22:52 am
      Looks like were shopping at netto like the blue sh*te ,YANKS OUT  !
      Fireman
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #38: Aug 19, 2009 09:33:31 am
      hello lads, this is dimitris from athens greece, a panathinaikos fan and of course a lfc fan
      kyrgiakos is a great player.tall, tough, aggressive, strong as a horse, a real tower!!!!!!it fits to english football, great choice!!!YNWA
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #39: Aug 19, 2009 09:34:20 am
      Dont know anything about him, cant remember him at Rangers either so have to hope he makes the grade as some other better informed posters on here have said he could do a job so most of us will have to take their word I suppose.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #40: Aug 19, 2009 09:35:31 am
      hello lads, this is dimitris from athens greece, a panathinaikos fan and of course a lfc fan
      kyrgiakos is a great player.tall, tough, aggressive, strong as a horse, a real tower!!!!!!it fits to english football, great choice!!!YNWA

Hello Fireman, welcome to the forum, Im also newish here, what about his pace and reading of the game - can you comment?
      Fireman
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #41: Aug 19, 2009 09:40:05 am
      he used to play for my team, panathinaikos from 1998 to 2004. he is the best greek stopper, he is 1.95m or so, he is a very passionate and hot tempered player.sometimes that created problems in the past, if he controls his temper he will be a super hero of defence.i dunno what rafa wants from him, is he going to be a bencher?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #42: Aug 19, 2009 09:42:49 am
      Well looking at that source I guess it's a done deal?
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #43: Aug 19, 2009 09:44:14 am
      Yes he will be brought in as cover but we have so many games he may well start the Carling Cup matches and maybe some of the early FA Cup games depending on the draw of course.

Is he a quick defender...???
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #44: Aug 19, 2009 09:45:58 am
      Would anyone like to clear up the pronunciation of his name please? :D
      Fireman
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #45: Aug 19, 2009 09:46:48 am
      well,you cant call him really quick, he is very physical in his game though.he is a very passionate player.i think he will win the Kop

Quick Reply