Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man of the Match today? (Somehow)

Fernando Torres
      (8.6%)
      Glen Johnson
      (29.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (9.4%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (22.3%)
      Emiliano Insua
      (4.3%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (23.7%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (2.2%)

Liverpool FC vs Aston Villa: Post match grumblings

Read 54585 times
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Re: Liverpool FC vs Aston Villa: Post match grumblings
      Reply #23: Aug 24, 2009 10:04:25 pm
      Tough match.

It was always going to be tough to come back from 2-0 but we had done it before in previous matches, but i guess it wasn't meant to be.

Sh*tty start to the season but i'm not going to get carried away and start spouting sh*t. Shoddy defending and sloppy passing let us down today.

I just hope this is the worst of the results now. The players really need to pull their socks up and get back to business, Liverpool style.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #24: Aug 24, 2009 10:04:55 pm
      At least last year we were getting draws FFS

Keep it for the knee-jerk thread.

Last season we were all saying that we'd accept a couple more defeats if it meant more points overall, maybe that's the plan? ;)

Just hope this is a cunning ruse by Rafa for us to start off so poorly and lull everyone else into a false sense of security.

:D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #25: Aug 24, 2009 10:05:32 pm
      For the sake of my own and the forum's sake, i will save alot of expletives and provide a summary later on. I'm fuming that those tw*ts out there were lucky enough to wear the Red of Liverpool, might as well have taken it off and gone to the pub.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: Liverpool 1 - 0 Aston Villa: Post match Grumblings
      Reply #26: Aug 24, 2009 10:05:42 pm
      We played well until we conceded but once we did there was no urgency or determination to get back in the game I find that more disappointing then if we'd just conceded a few jammy goals. Heads will roll and rightly so.
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Re: Liverpool FC vsAston Villa : Post match grumblings
      Reply #27: Aug 24, 2009 10:06:14 pm
      My topic was 1st so should be kept :P

But yeh, few things :
      1. It comes to a point when our players to come off the bench and change the game are Voronin + Babel :/
      2. We played to predictable : get it wide, get  it central on the edge of the box and try to work an opening, but we failed to make an opening . Not the best tactics Rafa i must say
      3. Well played Villa
      4. Now we've lost as many games as last season so now we've got to go unbeaten all season to mount a SERIOUS title challenge

:(

But nevertheless                                                             :kop5cf8koxp6:
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #28: Aug 24, 2009 10:06:19 pm
      Well played Masch Glen Jamie and Martin thats all that can be said without being negative
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #29: Aug 24, 2009 10:06:30 pm
      There's nothing worst then what I am feeling right now. So disappointing. I can't even say anything about the performance itself, I'm just heart broken.
      gerrardisgod
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #30: Aug 24, 2009 10:06:38 pm
      Really disappointing.i just really hope theres nothing going on behind the scenes that we dont know about.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #31: Aug 24, 2009 10:06:53 pm
      Did someone add that poll for MOTM for a laugh?

And if not then the name Brad Friedel is missing as he was miles better than any of our lot.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #32: Aug 24, 2009 10:07:20 pm
      At the end of the day, the Mancs are only 3 points ahead of us. Beaten by a side touted for relegation. We were beaten by two sides that are being touted for breaking into the top four. Although that isn't a good thing, there is still 34 games and a winter transfer window left.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #33: Aug 24, 2009 10:07:55 pm
      F***ing shambolic pre season and a f**king shambolic start to the season.

I think before people start trying to pin all the blame on Lucas they should think about the fact that every single player was off par and probably don't deserve to start the next game but it doesn't work like that.

We have to try and put this defeat behind us and move onto focussing on the Bolton game and see one hell of a reaction.

Yes we may have already equalled the amount of defeats we suffered last season but United had a shocking start last season and look what happened! We are still capable of fighting for the title and have to remember that every team will drop points at some stage and in a positive view, it's best to get them out the way at the start.

People are going to be writing us off now so lets show them we do mean business and will not continue this way.

Only 1 of their goals was worthy tonight. The first wasn't even a free kick and the second one was more than a minute over the added time stated!

We should have had a penalty when Kuyt was blocked off deliberately but like against Spurs it wasn't given. We also saw that Young is nothing but a dirty cheat like the rest of his team, faking injury and basically looking like his leg has fallen off then 2 mins later back running around. Foul after foul after foul on us.

Look out Villa because you are in for it when we come to Villa park.

Come on Reds, keep your heads up, it's still far from over and the start of the season always means nothing come the end of the season.
      SaintLiverpudlian
      • Forum John Toshack

• 278 posts |
      • Liverpool is my religion Anfield is my church
      Reply #34: Aug 24, 2009 10:08:24 pm
      vtorres, are you serious picking gerrard out as having a good performance. being mostly our favorite player, he's had one terrible night. sod the penalty, he just didn't play well overall. It's not only him, the team in general didn't click.

We should go rumble in the general trasnfers thread now. Our team lacks creativity. We need a left winger, can't really play benayoun there. As for the defense we need to train these set pieces, we concede there far too often (maybe that's why we bought ourselves a cheap tower).

The result isn't that big of a deal, it's not like villa or tottenham for that matter aren't a big threat during the season. If we don't draw shitty teams, them two results mean nothing. it's just annoying that they were our early fixtures and we lost them both.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #35: Aug 24, 2009 10:08:30 pm
      Gillette and Hicks out now!!!

I refuse to blame any player on the pitch for the lacking of creativity and distributions. Could have gone completely differently had Benayoun or Gerrard had scored, but in the end we became negative in our passing.

Anfield was silent!! How about getting behind the lads?

We need contributions of the bench, no sense of urgency from both of them Voronin circumspect as Lucas. Babel out of sorts and needs to find his bearings where ever he lost them. We looked too square today, and needed a bit of creativity dead centre.

Gerrard back to the midfield was a spark but Voronin up top wasn't, Benny should have been pushed up. We search for the intricate pass too much and no where near found it.

Season not over by a long shot, but the gap of Alonso is pretty obvious for all to see. No distribution, no one coming deep and driving forward. People shying away from the ball, negative passing, way to careful and predictable.
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #36: Aug 24, 2009 10:08:53 pm
      You f**king kidding me?

Bar Carra and Mascherano (and maybe Johnson) they were all sh*t. No heart, no desire, nothing. Passing was poor, there was no tempo to the game. It was awful, one of the worst displays of recent times.

everything went against us tonight, they had one chance from the corner, we had many more chances. any
      other day we would of won comfortably.

they were f**king LUCKY as.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #37: Aug 24, 2009 10:09:00 pm
      I'm up for a 35 game unbeaten streak ;)

What let us down were our defending during set pieces and passing from our attacking force. Already 5 goals gone it from set plays. Our attackers also lost the ball too many times.

What happened to Nando? How did he become so whingey? :(
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,393 posts | 2823 
      Reply #38: Aug 24, 2009 10:09:06 pm
      there is still 34 games and a winter transfer window left.

35 games mate. ;)
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #39: Aug 24, 2009 10:09:41 pm
      Yeah but it was the draws that killed us, not the losses.
      Yes maybe but two losses in three games is piss poor the title for us will be over before Aqualani gets fit. That was one poor performance from to many players Carra Skyrtl Mash and Jonson were reasonable but the rest were poor. Can't carry on with just Torres up front
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #40: Aug 24, 2009 10:09:47 pm
      People, quit going on about how we need to buy players.

We have F**k all money. It's not going to happen.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #41: Aug 24, 2009 10:09:49 pm
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Liverpool FC vsAston Villa : Post match grumblings
      Reply #42: Aug 24, 2009 10:09:58 pm
      "After this performance, 17 Premier League Managers frantically phone the Premier League head office, asking one question: Can we play Liverpool next? Please?"

Actually made me smile, shouldn't, but funny. True though. Friends it can't be denied i don't think. Our team is in serious trouble, we are weaker than we were last season and im thinking that bringing in an injured main centre mid is looking more and more like a bad idea. We could be out of the race by the time he is fit to play. Our yank owners better be getting bullet proof cars >:( We still don't have that manure ability to win games when playing bad. We had 3 times the shots and still didn't win. Why? Because we don't have enough options. A team can come with one game plan and beat us because we aren't diverse enough. Yeah, we didn't play that bad in the second half but lost. Twice in a week. It doesn't bode well for the near future. I still have hope, but its fading as all summer there really hasn't been any good news. And to all those who said its only pre season when we were losing, this is what happens when you F**k up in pre season.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #43: Aug 24, 2009 10:10:04 pm
      This is just ridiculous. I think one of our problems was congestion going forward. We had no width i attack. I'm gutted, but credit to Aston Villa and the discipline they showed in defence. Our defending from set pieces really needs to be worked on and i hope Rafa gives the players a really good beating.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #44: Aug 24, 2009 10:10:22 pm
      there is still 34 games and a winter transfer window left.
      35 actually but I think that's what we need to look at the fact that there are plenty of games remaining and plenty of chances to make up for this shocking performance.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #45: Aug 24, 2009 10:10:48 pm
      In all honesty I said it in the thread and I'll say it again in here, For me Lucas is not a top 4 first choice central midfielder, he lacks the ability to control and dominate the midfield area he plays too many balls square or backwards, he lacks the vision and speed of thought to deliver the ball forwards at the earliest opportunity.

I'm not singling out Lucas as we were poor all over the park tonight, but IMO a game is won in the Centre of the park (the engine room) and Lucas against better opposition is not winning them battles. IMO Gerrard should be played centrally & Yossi behind Nando until Aquilani is fit as we need to be getting points on the board.

I'll expect the give Lucas a chance brigade to abuse me now, but please bear in mind if it was Babel you'd have him hung drawn and quartered by now...................

Quick Reply