Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

The crazy world of football

Read 13007 times
      RedLFCBlood
      The crazy world of football
      Sep 15, 2009 06:39:00 pm
      Basically like Ronson's it's exactly what it says it on the tin.. a thread for all the crazy things you've ever seen at a football match.

To get the thread away I'll start with Eric Cantona against Crystal Palace in 1995.

eric cantona kung fu kick

1995: Cantona banned over attack on fan

Manchester United's Eric Cantona has been fined £20,000 and banned from playing football over his kung fu-style attack on a fan.

The club has relegated the French star striker to the bench for nine months for lashing out at a fan in the front row during a game against Crystal Palace two days ago.

Cantona has also been stripped of his captaincy of the French national team and he has lost his place in the side.

Cantona claims the fan, Matthew Simmons, shouted racial insults and threw a missile at him as he walked off the pitch after being given a red card for kicking another player during a tackle.

Fiery temper

The Frenchman leapt at the fan, aiming both feet at his chest. He then threw several punches, before police, stewards and other members of the crowd managed to pull him off. Fellow United player, Paul Ince, is also reported to have thrown some punches.

Cantona's fiery temper has got him in trouble before. In 1987 he punched his own team's goalkeeper at Auxerre, leaving him with a black eye. He was also suspended by Marseille for kicking a ball into the crowd and throwing his shirt at the referee after being substituted.

Cantona retaliated by retiring from the premier league in France - and moving to England.

The number seven player - and his teammate Ince - are still facing a criminal investigation following assault charges brought by police.

At a news conference earlier today, United chairman Martin Edwards appeared to suggest Cantona could still play this season for the reserves - in order to keep himself fit.

However, this has already been ruled out by Football Association Chief Executive Graham Kelly.

He said: "I don't think there's any real prospect that he'll be playing for Manchester United reserves, A team or whatever, between now and the date of his commission hearing here."

The hearing will take place in three weeks' time and is likely to confirm the player's suspension.

Crystal Palace has withdrawn Mr Simmon's season ticket for breaking ground rules.

In Context
      Cantona was sentenced to two weeks in prison which was reduced on 31 March to 120 hours community service for the attack.

During a news conference Eric Cantona cryptically referred to the British press as "a flock of seagulls following the trawler". Cantona then returned to action for Manchester United on 1 October and scored a penalty in a 2-2 draw against Liverpool.

In 1996, he was voted Footballer of the Year by the Football Writers' Association. He also scored the winning goal in the FA cup final against Liverpool to give United the double for the second time in three seasons.

After winning the Premiership with United in 1997, he announced his retirement from football at the age of 30.

He has since turned his attentions to acting, appearing in several films.

He has also returned to United to coach children and become an ambassador for beach football.

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2009 09:58:48 am by Reslivo »
      Little Mac
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts |
      Re: The crazy world of football thread ....
      Reply #1: Sep 15, 2009 06:59:12 pm
      To be honest, the Wembley Goal is one of the craziest things in football, because many still talk about it.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Sep 15, 2009 07:00:55 pm
      To be honest, the Wembley Goal is one of the craziest things in football, because many still talk about it.

Which Wembley goal theres many been scored there ? World cup 1966 ? as that is probably one of the most talked about goals ever ?
      Little Mac
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts |
      Reply #3: Sep 15, 2009 07:08:30 pm
      Which Wembley goal theres many been scored there ? World cup 1966 ? as that is probably one of the most talked about goals ever ?

Yes, I mean the Wembley Goal in the World Cup Final in 1966. Geoff Hurst's second goal in this match. That 3-2 for England.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Sep 15, 2009 07:12:22 pm
      1966 the Geoff Hurst Goal was it in or out ?

World Cup 1966 - Goal by Geoff Hurst - In or Out?

I'm not so sure I would class it as one of the craziest things ever seen on a football field but it sure has caused controversy for the past 43 years
      Little Mac
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts |
      Reply #5: Sep 15, 2009 07:21:38 pm
      Yes, RedLFCBlood, totally agree. It caused controversy for the past 43 years, because there are still people who say, it was out and others say, it was in.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #6: Sep 15, 2009 07:26:24 pm
      That disallowed Crystal Palace goal can go in here definately!
      Little Mac
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts |
      Reply #7: Sep 15, 2009 07:33:16 pm
      A goal scored by a goalkeeper.

Goal by goalkeeper
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #8: Sep 15, 2009 11:20:52 pm
      ^^Haha, is that the same Kuszczak that plays for Man UTD? Please tell me it is...
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Sep 15, 2009 11:21:18 pm
      It is!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: Sep 16, 2009 12:36:05 am
      That disallowed Crystal Palace goal can go in here definately!

Stick it on then Ross
      miguelred
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts |
      Reply #11: Sep 16, 2009 02:06:14 am
      El Escorpion de Higuita

"Higuita: The master of the unpredictable"
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #12: Sep 16, 2009 08:22:30 am
      What about that? ;)

Gol de gandula..
      Malaysian Red
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      • Malaysian Reds!
      Reply #13: Sep 16, 2009 08:29:03 am
      Yes, RedLFCBlood, totally agree. It caused controversy for the past 43 years, because there are still people who say, it was out and others say, it was in.

i think it was out. just let it be. a goal is a goal.

Malaysian Red
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      • Malaysian Reds!
      Reply #14: Sep 16, 2009 08:34:24 am
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #15: Sep 16, 2009 08:47:53 am

Love the delay and then when it's given "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL".
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16: Sep 16, 2009 12:45:53 pm
       Abdulrahman Al-Shoaibi

(ar.: عبدالرحمن ناصر الشعيبي), (born December 10, 1980 in Saudi Arabia), also known as Abdul rahman Al Shoaibi is a former Saudi Arabian footballer. In a match between Al-Raed and Hajer Al Shaibi on October 20, 2005, Abdulrahman collapsed after a kick to the neck and had a dramatic seizure. He was removed from the game and immediately taken to hospital. Contrary to reports of his death and of being taken by the angel of death he was playing competitive football the very next week.

Al-Shoaibi is Taken by the Angel Of Death

Bowlesy88
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #17: Sep 16, 2009 08:30:32 pm
      This is funny. Love Jimmy Bullard. He seems like he'd be such a laugh down the pub.

Funny Jimmy Bullard
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Sep 16, 2009 09:46:53 pm
      Haha, I love Bullard too! He is one of the most hilarious footballers around.

I always laugh when I watch it:

JIMMY BULLARD
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #19: Sep 16, 2009 10:07:35 pm

JIMMY BULLARD

Quality! That's made me look at Bullard in a whole different light!

Well in, Jimmy.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #20: Sep 16, 2009 10:58:41 pm
      Abdulrahman Al-Shoaibi

(ar.: عبدالرحمن ناصر الشعيبي), (born December 10, 1980 in Saudi Arabia), also known as Abdul rahman Al Shoaibi is a former Saudi Arabian footballer. In a match between Al-Raed and Hajer Al Shaibi on October 20, 2005, Abdulrahman collapsed after a kick to the neck and had a dramatic seizure. He was removed from the game and immediately taken to hospital. Contrary to reports of his death and of being taken by the angel of death he was playing competitive football the very next week.

First time I saw that I was sh*t up for days. Just plain scary.

JIMMY BULLARD

:lmao:

Never seen that before, as Eem said, quality!

whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #21: Sep 16, 2009 11:13:29 pm
      Abdulrahman Al-Shoaibi

:o  Bloody hell, I've not seen that before.  That must have been horrific for everyone in the stadium to witness.

Edit:  those Jimmy Bullard clips are funny :D
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #22: Sep 16, 2009 11:22:04 pm
      I don't want to watch that angel of death thing.

Deja vu ::)

Quick Reply