Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

If you could go back in time

Read 9993 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      If you could go back in time
      Sep 26, 2009 10:23:57 pm
      What would be the first thing you would do?

Seriously, if you think long and hard about it, it's a really tough question.

In your lifetime or in general. Think about what would be more important to you.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: If you could go back in time
      Reply #1: Sep 26, 2009 10:26:57 pm
      Do you mean just in your lifetime or in general?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: Sep 26, 2009 10:29:47 pm
      Entirely up to you.

(I edited my post for you)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Sep 26, 2009 10:32:44 pm
      Something I've thought about a lot recently was that I wish I put more effort into my football when I was younger and playing for a team. I remember it being more of a chore than anything and I wish I had the attitude that I do now, I would play with so much more confidence.

That's not exactly important though.

A bloody hard question, but a great one Kenny. I'm going to have to have a think!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Sep 26, 2009 10:34:35 pm
      Id go back to 1982 when me grandad died. Collapsed in front of me from a massive heart attack I was 3 thought he was playing a game so sat beside him if I had known id have called my aunty who was downstairs might have saved him. Who knows?
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #5: Sep 26, 2009 10:40:26 pm
      It's an interesting question, you could say you would go back and change a disaster or make yourself rich but would you given the fact that if you change the past you change the future possibly for the worse?

Given the fact that I'd want to avoid that the first thing I'd do is go back to when Christ was supposedly alive to see for myself what happened the only information we have is the bible and it's supposed to be about 2000 years old I'd love to know what's true and what isn't.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Sep 26, 2009 10:51:54 pm
      Something I've thought about a lot recently was that I wish I put more effort into my football when I was younger and playing for a team. I remember it being more of a chore than anything and I wish I had the attitude that I do now, I would play with so much more confidence.

That's not exactly important though.

A bloody hard question, but a great one Kenny. I'm going to have to have a think!

Mate, the more you think about it, the tougher it gets.

I know exactly what you mean about playing football when you were younger though. I always used to be too critical of myself and it would stop me from being as good as I could be. I was my own worst enemy. I suppose it's just a case of a learning curve and not having the right people manage you in school and stuff?

Id go back to 1982 when me grandad died. Collapsed in front of me from a massive heart attack I was 3 thought he was playing a game so sat beside him if I had known id have called my aunty who was downstairs might have saved him. Who knows?

I can understand totally why you'd want to go back to there mate. It's ironic that you mention your granddad because that was one of the things that made me think of this thread. It was one of the happiest days of my life.

My granddad learned me how to ride a bike. I used to have a chopper (proper 80's kid me) and it was probably not the best bike to learn how to ride on. But, with my nan and granddad living next door, I used to knock on the door struggling to hold up this oversized monster of bike and say 'nan, is granddad coming out to play?'. No matter what he was doing, he'd stop and come out to learn me how to ride a bike. The day I finally got the hang of it and he didn't have to hold the bike anymore, he was the single most happiest man in the world. And he celebrated by taking the bike off me and riding it around his back garden.

I had never seen my granddad ride a bike before. And I'd never seen him so happy. That's certainly one time that springs to mind.

It's an interesting question, you could say you would go back and change a disaster or make yourself rich but would you given the fact that if you change the past you change the future possibly for the worse?

Given the fact that I'd want to avoid that the first thing I'd do is go back to when Christ was supposedly alive to see for myself what happened the only information we have is the bible and it's supposed to be about 2000 years old I'd love to know what's true and what isn't.

See what I mean about it being a tough one when you think about it?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      Reply #7: Sep 26, 2009 11:10:01 pm
      My granddad learned me how to ride a bike. I used to have a chopper (proper 80's kid me) and it was probably not the best bike to learn how to ride on. But, with my nan and granddad living next door

No way Ken my grandad lived next door as well me granny still does! Well next to me ma's like. Grandparents are boss
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #8: Sep 26, 2009 11:12:17 pm

I can understand totally why you'd want to go back to there mate. It's ironic that you mention your granddad because that was one of the things that made me think of this thread. It was one of the happiest days of my life.

My granddad learned me how to ride a bike. I used to have a chopper (proper 80's kid me) and it was probably not the best bike to learn how to ride on. But, with my nan and granddad living next door, I used to knock on the door struggling to hold up this oversized monster of bike and say 'nan, is granddad coming out to play?'. No matter what he was doing, he'd stop and come out to learn me how to ride a bike. The day I finally got the hang of it and he didn't have to hold the bike anymore, he was the single most happiest man in the world. And he celebrated by taking the bike off me and riding it around his back garden.

I had never seen my granddad ride a bike before. And I'd never seen him so happy. That's certainly one time that springs to mind.

Aww that story made me fell all 'fuzzy' (I can't think of a word more appropriate) inside. :) That's a lovely memory RK.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #9: Sep 26, 2009 11:28:34 pm
      Yeah, that is a lovely story kenny.  :) 

I'm thinking about the question though.  Tough one indeed.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #10: Sep 26, 2009 11:48:01 pm

Seriously, if you think long and hard about it, it's a really tough question.

Not for me it's not, for me it's the easiest question in the world and is something I think about a lot and can't see myself ever getting over it.

One of my step sisters unfortunately got cancer and she was only 11 at the time, I was about 8 or 9 at the time. She was unable to be cured and when it was getting near the end there was one specific day, 30th December and my dad rung me up the night before and asked if I wanted to go and see her the next morning but I was supposed to be going to the mainland with my mum and step dad to see a show and had a bit of time to spare in the morning because woke up earlier than needed too and my dad again rung and asked if I wanted to go and see her but I said "no, I'll come up tomorrow". Thing is tomorrow was too late because when we got back that evening my dad rung to tell me that he was coming to my house and he told me she had passed away.

I will always regret not even going there, even if it was just for a few minutes. So if anyone knows how to go back in time then please let me know!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      Reply #11: Sep 26, 2009 11:55:08 pm
      Not for me it's not, for me it's the easiest question in the world and is something I think about a lot and can't see myself ever getting over it.

One of my step sisters unfortunately got cancer and she was only 11 at the time, I was about 8 or 9 at the time. She was unable to be cured and when it was getting near the end there was one specific day, 30th December and my dad rung me up the night before and asked if I wanted to go and see her the next morning but I was supposed to be going to the mainland with my mum and step dad to see a show and had a bit of time to spare in the morning because woke up earlier than needed too and my dad again rung and asked if I wanted to go and see her but I said "no, I'll come up tomorrow". Thing is tomorrow was too late because when we got back that evening my dad rung to tell me that he was coming to my house and he told me she had passed away.

I will always regret not even going there, even if it was just for a few minutes. So if anyone knows how to go back in time then please let me know!

Aw Kenny how were you to know mate?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #12: Sep 27, 2009 12:10:35 am
      In me own lifetime I'd go back a few years and force me mam to send me to Shortfields, who knows I might have got an education there rather the school I did go to. Might also have been treated as a person in Shorties rather than a piece of dirt because I come from inner city Liverpool and don't allow meself to get brainwashed with religious nonsense.

In general I'd go back to the 70s just so I could see me family as a family and not as the evil bitter bas**rds they are now. So I could see me nana and granddad as people rather than just stories me dad tells me. I never knew me granddad and me nana (Dad's mam) passed away when I was two or three so I never knew either of them, but the stories I hear of them make me wanna know them. I'd liked to have known the people me Dad talks about when he's on about Nelly, Bridey, Brian an so on. Life was different then and it was about togetherness much more than it is today where it's all about number one.

Also in the 70s I'd of got to know me mam's Dad before he passed on in upsetting circumstances which I won't go into. I'd of known me other nana in a different light, maybe as somebody who was happy rather than the miserable arl cow she is now, something which me mam blames on the way she lost her husband. I'd of known Gan-Gan (my great grandmother) as a person rather than an arl deaf girl who couldn't really understand what was going on around her when I knew her before she, sadly, passed on not long ago. Still love her an miss her even if she didn't hear me, she was still one of the kindest women I've ever known and I'd loved to of known her when she could walk, talk and hear properly.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #13: Sep 27, 2009 12:26:06 am
      Aw Kenny how were you to know mate?

Still one of them things that will always regret though because family were all saying for me to go even if its just for a bit.

Coming up to 10 years and the feeling hasn't eased in the slightest.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #14: Sep 27, 2009 12:42:11 am
      Top posts all of use. we all belong to a generation of respect. We all respecxt our upbringing,regardless of where we came from, we all have our own personal memories, but we are united in our tradegies which bind us together, even though we do'nt know each other.If I could go back in time, I would fight to save the lives of the 96 brothers who lost their lives. YNWA.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #15: Sep 27, 2009 01:37:48 am
      Blimey I've got some tears rolling down my cheeks from this thread....heartbreaking stuff from some of you  :sadlook:

I'm not sure what I'd do if I could go back in time....have to have a think about that one  :-\
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #16: Sep 27, 2009 02:02:48 am
      Aww that story made me fell all 'fuzzy' (I can't think of a word more appropriate) inside. :) That's a lovely memory RK.

You can't beat fuzziness, LP

Yeah, that is a lovely story kenny.  :) 

Thanks whyohwhy. I love that memory. I've got a pic of that memory, I'll have to post it, no?

7-KK-7 and Billy. It's so bizarre how I can relate to your thoughts. Seriously. Thanks for opening up lads. And Brian, that's uncanny!!

It's funny how regrets always come first in the queue when you think about going back in time isn't it? Good times are taken for granted.

I've got one time that is a contender for first place to go back to. Probably my most happiest time ever? I don't know. I'll think about it and then post again....
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #17: Sep 27, 2009 02:39:11 am
      I've got a pic of that memory, I'll have to post it, no?

Deffo post it kenny!  It should bring a bit of cheer to this thread.  You wouldn't want to change good times though, other than make them last a lot longer!

Here's my saddy:

I've been thinking about what I would change if I could.  On a personal note, 9/8/83 would never exist nor would lymphoma and maybe then my Dad would still be here today.

More globally, educate the south yorkshire police force in crowd control pre 15/4/89 so that blackest of days would never have happened.

Or if not that, change something to stop Heysel or Bradford disasters, or any similar, Munich included.

If only.

More recently and outside of football, prevent 9-11, or the Madrid or the London bombings.

I'd love to change all those, but there is one thing I think I would do over anything else and that is be the doctor who sterilised Hitlers mother...before she conceived.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #18: Sep 27, 2009 07:56:57 am
      Would love to go back to the days pre industry and just see the world in its natural light. A place like Los Angeles now is just a permanent smog haze of concrete and F***ing dickheads who don't know how to drive. I really would love to see a place like that before it was covered in concrete.
      Then i would love to go back and see bands like the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Ramones etc.. Would be fantastic.
      Knock off Hitler before he ever got into power, find Osama pre 9/11 etc, etc.
      On a personal note, maybe go back and do better in school. I spent way to much time partying and didn't balance myself well. But, im going back to college now and going to make amends :) And maybe save a bit more money to.. and just not date one of the girls i did :D
      And not go for the shot in Tennis that broke my ankle, been 2 years and its still fu**ed.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #19: Sep 27, 2009 10:47:19 am
      I suppose in relation to preventing something bad happening I'd go back 5 or 6 years to the days before my Nannas husband had a stroke, he was really active and healthy so it was a huge shock however looking back now you could really see the signs that he was going to have a stroke. I would've made sure the doctors wouldn't just fob him off and say it's just a bug and maybe he'd still be around today.
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      • 100% LFC, without doubt!
      Reply #20: Sep 27, 2009 11:24:30 am

if i could go back in time, i would.. ??? ..love to land in the medieval times in France (but come back after some 3 weeks back to our times!)  ::) ;D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #21: Sep 27, 2009 11:24:44 am
      Some very hard stories to read.

It is easy to be hard on oneself for mistakes or oversights we've made in the past. The guilt we feel is often overstated, especially for events that took place when we were children or teenagers. We look back on these memories with the experience of an adult, and shouldn't be so quick to judge ourselves.

That being said, I remember when I was a young teenager my grandma fell over one day when she was alone in her house, hitting her head on the sink and knocking her unconcious. Unfortunately, we had gone for a day out as a family, and she spent all day lying there before my mum found her in the evening.

She went into hospital but didn't regain conciousness. I remember my sister went to see her at the hospital to talk to her. I don't remember why I didn't go, I do remember thinking that she'd be fine, she was a very strong woman who had gone through some tough times during the second world war, I couldn't believe that she would die like that. I think I was also scared to death of the thought of seeing her lying there, and in the end refused to see her.

Anyway, as I'm sure you can imagine, one morning my mum came to see me with tears streaming down her face telling me my grandma had died. I hid under the covers in my bed and didn't cry, just felt a horrible shame run through my body. I didn't cry for a couple of days, and felt like I was some kind of freak, why wasn't I reacting? Then the third day we went to go through some of the stuff in her house, and when I went in she wasn't there (obviously!), and it hit me that she'd never come back, that she was dead, and I was struck by uncontrollable tears.

It's one of the hugest regrets in my life and I was very hard on myself for a long time afterward, and have always felt guilt not to have seen her in the hospital. With retrospect I think my fear of the hospital was just simple denial, that if I didn't go I wouldn't see her in the bed, and it'd mean she was fine.

If I could go back I would love to have the chance to say goodbye, and to have seen her one last time. RIP Gran, I loved you very much.
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      • 100% LFC, without doubt!
      Reply #22: Sep 27, 2009 11:32:50 am
      That are some really heart-wrenching experiences.. :( what has to happen, will happen. nobody can stop that..but yes, some experiences leave us with some kind of guilt or "what if i had.." thoughts..  :(

Quick Reply