Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Sami Hyypia Player Thread

Read 30395 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: The Sami Hyypia thread
      Reply #138: Dec 02, 2008 12:02:21 am
      Played well today even though pacy Craig Bellamy was after the ball with him!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #139: Dec 02, 2008 01:49:30 am
      Well played tonight.

Our most dangerous player.

Maybe play Sami and Agger to help end the goal drought.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #140: Dec 02, 2008 01:59:45 am
      Big Sammy was brilliant tonight well in lad.
      u1m81
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts | -1 
      Reply #141: Dec 02, 2008 07:17:45 am
      if they had any decentcy about them then any1 of aurellio arbeloa and especially dossena would happily give sami their medal should we make it that far if he's not got enough games under his belt. should we win and dossena didnt make that gesture..........wel I bloody would have thats for sure. when skrtel is back I'd like to see carra, agger skrtel as a back 3 and start to really take the game to any opposition. any thoughts??

eh??? what are you talking about, what medal?!

I think we'd lack width and open ourself to attacks down the flank. agger isn't good at defending wide. carra ok , we know he can adjust to any situation, but skrtel also I think would be more central.  I think skrtel and carra in the back with either arbeloa or aurelio is my preference.  but whats the point?! I think we dont need to runa 5 midfield given the top notch mid field selection we have. and 3 strikers.! lets get more than 1 firing first before we give ourselves the headache fo three.!
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #142: Dec 02, 2008 10:02:26 am
      Great game by Sami last night. Read the game well at the back and had the best goal-scoring chances.

Good man to have in your team!!!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #143: Dec 02, 2008 11:56:21 am
      eh??? what are you talking about, what medal?!

When we win the title at the end of the season ;), if Sami or any of the other players don't have enough games under their belt, they wouldn't receive a winners medal. The requirement is ten appearances. And whilst I don't know about other players giving theirs up for him, I agree that he fully deserves one for all he has done for the club.

Edit: A bit off-topic I know, but I was wondering what we'd do if we had too many players putting in enough appearances, as we have a very large squad! The winning club only receives 21 medals I think, I hope there would be enough to go around! If not, I wonder how they'd be sorted: by number of games played, by how long they've been at the club, total appearances for the club... Bit of a head-scratcher, and another argument against rotation! :D
      « Last Edit: Dec 02, 2008 12:03:44 pm by ayrton77 »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #144: Dec 02, 2008 01:04:03 pm
      another 12 month contract?

why not.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #145: Dec 02, 2008 01:11:45 pm
      Best player for us last night. Legs might be gone but the brain is as good as ever
      MsGerrard
      Reply #146: Dec 02, 2008 01:48:21 pm
      another 12 month contract?

why not.

Don't see why not indeed, his extremely calm presence at the back is very reassuring, and I love it when he comes up for corners, he is by far our best header.

We were that desperate last night even Reina wanted to come up for a corner at the end, until Rafa told him to stay back.

I'm absolutely positive that Rafa would make sure that Sami has enough games under his belt to qualify for a medal, should we be so fortunate to win the Premiership this season.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #147: Dec 02, 2008 02:03:34 pm
      Wouldn't be surprise if he ends his career at Anfield and be one of the defensive coaches
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #148: Dec 02, 2008 07:33:14 pm
      When it come to mind hyypia is a Master. I will extend his contract for about 1 year and a half with the option that he can coach defensive youngsters and then by time the big squad.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #149: Dec 02, 2008 08:37:18 pm
      Even though he's not used as often (which normally ruins players consistency) he still remains trust worthy, a big blond well oiled machine if you like...
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #150: Dec 02, 2008 08:46:55 pm
      Even though he's not used as often (which normally ruins players consistency) he still remains trust worthy, a big blond well oiled machine if you like...

Finally, someone who spells consistency right! ;D ;)

I want Sami to stay with this club forever. He's as much Mr. Liverpool as Gerrard is in my opinion.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6728 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #151: Dec 02, 2008 10:33:05 pm
      Was worried when I saw Sami in the tunnel but as soon as he went up for that 1st corner, I remembered why I love this bloke so much. A true professional and just such an attacking threat when he goes up for corners.

As MsG said, I'm positive Rafa will make sure Sami plays enough games for him to proudly wear his own medal around his neck.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #152: Dec 05, 2008 11:08:34 am
      www.liverpoolfc.tv

Sami Hyypia has been named Finnish Player of the Year for the seventh time. 
      The 35-year-old was one of Liverpool's top performers last term, while 2008 has also seen him earn a 95th international cap.

Hyypia first took the award in 1999 after arriving on Merseyside from Dutch outfit Willem II.

The next few years saw him take the first steps to becoming an Anfield legend as he established seemingly impregnable partnerships first with Stephane Henchoz, then with Jamie Carragher.

This defensive solidity was key in Liverpool winning the treble in 2001 and the 2005 Champions League.

Unsurprisingly, Hyypia was revered back in Finland, where the FA again awarded him their best player in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2006.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Well in Sami truely a Liverpool legend
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #153: Dec 05, 2008 11:11:16 am
      Get in Sami.

He is a legend, and still capable of doing an excellent job for the reds.  At 35 years as a centre back that is some achievement IMO in a league as demanding as the Premiership.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #154: Dec 05, 2008 11:38:48 am
      Well chuffed for him - a player who's name will go down among the great Liverpool defenders of all time IMO.

Proud to have him on my sig too, though that's probably quite low down on his list of achievements TBH! :D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #155: Dec 05, 2008 01:20:23 pm
      Well done Sami lad, be nice to see you notch up 100 international caps as well to go along with those 454 (and more in the future) for the Reds. I think that in itself speaks volumes about Sami, over 450 games and you can probably count on one hand the amount of bad games he's had.

Best overseas defender this country has ever seen in my opinion. Repaid the money we spent on him about a million times over. A lot of credit must also go to Gerard Houllier for signing him, especially when there wasn't many who knew about him at the time.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #156: Dec 06, 2008 12:23:01 pm
      Quality head to toe ,great pro . A must to stay at Anfield on the coaching side 18 months from now .
      RedDrog
      • Forum John Toshack

• 264 posts |
      Reply #157: Dec 06, 2008 01:54:45 pm
      Top player and imo up there with our top centre halves of any era considering the pace of the game nowadays. well done sami
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #158: Dec 06, 2008 05:33:42 pm
      Hes like a fine wine gets better with age. Great performance again today
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #159: Dec 06, 2008 07:34:10 pm
      Faultless looked the part played the part and should keep the part.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #160: Dec 06, 2008 07:43:32 pm
      Shame he isn't in the Euro side because to be honest - don't think Agger deserves to shift him out the side now.  Hugely impressive in both our last games, as he always is.

Without a shadow of a doubt cemented his place as a Liverpool legend and one of our club's greatest ever defenders.  Deserves another contract. 

I'd put him back in the Euro side when we get to the knockout stages.

Quick Reply