Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

World's worst footballing decisions

Read 10886 times
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,375 posts |
      World's worst footballing decisions
      Apr 19, 2007 05:50:43 pm
      Been thinking about poor old West Ham and got me wondering what everyone rates as the world's worst footballing decisions..?

Here's my suggestions.

1. Michael Owen leaving Liverpool for Real Madrid

Owen left shortly after Benitez arrived at Anfield.  Moved to Madrid where he hardly got picked, meanwhile the reds landed a historic 5th European Cup. Owen left to 'win trophies' remember. Madrid won nothing.

2. Michael Owen not waiting for a Liverpool summer move

Owen probably could have hung on to join the reds in the summer but instead moved to Newcastle in January in a desire to get playing for the World Cup.  He promptly got injured, and eventually after being rushed back injured himself in about the 2nd minute of the World Cup and missed the tournament and a whole season.

3. Lucas Neill turning down Liverpool for West Ham

Liverpool marched on towards a European Cup semi-final. West Ham (appear) relegated.
      One of the many Lucas Neill threads on this forum is here http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,1725.0.html

Anybody got any more?
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Re: World's worst footballing decisions
      Reply #1: Apr 19, 2007 05:54:18 pm
      Great topic!!! Gotta have a think about this one and get back to you.....you know someone out there is gonna nail this one....we are talking world here and just LFC or prem?
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #2: Apr 19, 2007 05:59:00 pm
      Liverpool signing Frode Kippe, Sean Dundee, El Hadji Diouf, Salif Diao et all
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #3: Apr 19, 2007 05:59:59 pm
      Gerrard Houllier deciding Diouf would be a better signing for Liverpool than Anelka?!

One of my favorites is Man Ure telling Peter Beardlsey we wasn't good enough to play for them after just one league appearance!
      « Last Edit: Apr 19, 2007 06:01:55 pm by Crazy Horse »
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #4: Apr 19, 2007 06:10:01 pm
      The referee who called this a goal

Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #5: Apr 19, 2007 06:11:46 pm
      David Moores - for thinking this was ever going to be a good idea

Cy
      Reply #6: Apr 19, 2007 06:49:37 pm

The German goalkeeper, Harald Schumacher. The shot was inches wide of the goal, but Schumacher, unable to stop it, twisted his body and collided into the face of Battiston. Battiston, clattered, fell to the ground unconscious, with damaged vertebrae and teeth knocked out.The referee gave no foul or caution. Schumacher then proceeded to line up the goal kick, complaining to the referee about how long the medical team were taking to stretcher Battiston off,and later taunting French fans about the incident. Semi final of world cup in Seville 1982, I was 8 years old, I'll never forget that.
      lstrex
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #7: Apr 19, 2007 10:57:28 pm
      1. This is going to be controversial as ive yet to meet anyone who agree,s with me but when the  England "maneger" sat down and said to himself i need a goal scorer Owen is injured Crouch is having a nose job
      i,ll tell you what i,ll pick an extremly overated monkey named wayne and andy Johnson

2. When ever a "man u fan" decides to get into a greatest football team argument without checking to see if they support L.F.C

3. The F.A deciding to sign the first Englishman they could after being rejected by Scolari

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2007 08:37:24 pm by lstrex »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #8: Apr 19, 2007 11:09:23 pm
      More like the FA not getting their finger out and not talking to Guus Hiddink when they had the chance - leaving it far too late and by the time the FA had spoke to him - he'd accepted the russia job

But then again the FA knows FA
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #9: Apr 20, 2007 03:39:19 am
      Trying your best to take carlos valderrama seriously....

priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #10: Apr 20, 2007 09:24:49 am
      Athletico Madrid letting Raul go...........

Liverpool going to Reebok kits?

Giggs (i'm sorry for metioning scum) deciding to play for Wales and not England??
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #11: Apr 20, 2007 09:47:54 am
      Some of mine are slightly off topic but they are all football related..well sort of

1.Everton refusing to pay John Houlding a rent rise for Anfield thus moving to Goodison Park to become world beaters, whilst chuckling about leaving honest John an empty stadium that is until he formed Liverpool FC … That showed him didn’t it?

2.Kevin Keegan leaving Liverpool for money to go on to greater things with those prolific trophy winners Hamburg,Southampton and Newcastle.

3.Eric Cantona believing he was a poet and then reciting some to us…”when a seagull follows a trawler” my a*se.

4.Houllier for believing Fowlers excuse of “eating the grass like Rigobert Song” as an explanation for his Crawling down the line pretending to sniff Charlie, and then going in front of the worlds press to tell them the same excuse!

5.Any football club that gave Vinnie Jones a contract.

6.Clive Thomas for not allowing Hamilton’s goal in the FA cup semi of 77, yes I know we might have gone out but it would be worth it to stop those moaning b*stards still going on about it thirty years later.

7.Houllier and Thompson offloading Fowler when he still had something to offer and literally forcing him out to Leeds. (Maybe number 4 had something to do with it?)

8.Not getting a blatant penalty in Istanbul only for Milan to go up the other end and score, I know it turned out all right in the end but we where robbed!

9.Everton’s escape from relegation thanks to goals scored against Hans Segers who it later emerged was charged with match fixing. If we had known he was bent we could have paid him to save them!

10.The Scout who said “I have seen a promising young lad called Djimi Traore”
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #12: Apr 20, 2007 01:58:07 pm
       :laughing-smiley-014:

Glenbuck no. 3 also, Mad Eric thinking he was an actor - appeared in some sh*t arty French Film, then nothing apart from a few nike ads
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #13: Apr 20, 2007 02:19:08 pm
      Sven deciding to take Walcott to the world cup.  ???
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #14: Apr 20, 2007 02:23:27 pm

Glenbuck no. 3 also, Mad Eric thinking he was an actor - appeared in some sh*t arty French Film, then nothing apart from a few nike ads

Be fair mate, he was fantastic in Shanghai Noon!

I cant be doing with players who believe there own hype and strut around with there noses in the air like they own the place. Playing for the Mancs was bad enough but his attitude and arrogance towards other players means that i can totally ignore any skill he might have had, he has as much humility as he has acting ability.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #15: Apr 20, 2007 02:35:46 pm
      Everton v Bolton 1997.

Bolton's Gerry Taggart smashed a header off the bar that bounced back down into the goalmouth.
      Everton's Terry Phelan cleared the ball after it had clearly crossed the line in that Premiership 0-0 draw.
      At the end of the season, Everton avoided relegation, at Bolton's expense, by one point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That imfamous "save" from Roy Carroll against Spurs in 2005!!!!!!!!!!! ::)
      drawde
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts | -1 
      • Adward
      Reply #16: Apr 20, 2007 03:31:45 pm
      Oxford offloading Alridge to Liverpool in the 80's.

Fowler offloaded to Leeds.

Appointing Steve Mclaren as the England coach.
      Cy
      Reply #17: Apr 20, 2007 04:44:35 pm
      Everton v Bolton 1997.

Bolton's Gerry Taggart smashed a header off the bar that bounced back down into the goalmouth.
      Everton's Terry Phelan cleared the ball after it had clearly crossed the line in that Premiership 0-0 draw.
      At the end of the season, Everton avoided relegation, at Bolton's expense, by one point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That imfamous "save" from Roy Carroll against Spurs in 2005!!!!!!!!!!! ::)

Yes, THAT was unbelievable... ::)
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #18: Apr 20, 2007 07:57:23 pm
      Trying your best to take carlos valderrama seriously....

How on earth do you take Sideshow Bob seriously !!  ;D ;D ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #19: Apr 21, 2007 01:26:21 am
      How on earth do you take Sideshow Bob seriously !!  ;D ;D ;D

Rumour has it, that Bart was in goal Smigs ;)
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #20: Apr 21, 2007 02:50:37 pm
      Uefa for banning english clubs in europe when liverpool were dominating, christ knows how many times we could've won it this year, as in the song, as we can only win it once this year, you know what i mean
      « Last Edit: Apr 21, 2007 02:51:19 pm by bobbins »
      jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts |
      Reply #21: Apr 23, 2007 04:44:30 pm
      Alex "chewy face" Ferguson sayin Kleberson won the world cup for Brazil, then signing him.
      Johnnowhite
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #22: Apr 23, 2007 05:15:30 pm
      Be fair mate, he was fantastic in Shanghai Noon!

I cant be doing with players who believe there own hype and strut around with there noses in the air like they own the place. Playing for the Mancs was bad enough but his attitude and arrogance towards other players means that I can totally ignore any skill he might have had, he has as much humility as he has acting ability.

So, how do you explain that Cantona - the great I am according to you - used to sit in his local boozer regularly with all the old fellas of the village talking football? How many of your today's millionaires do you know that do that?

Quick Reply