Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 9th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D1 L0

Play Babel Upfront?

Read 16842 times
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Re: Play Babel Upfront?
      Reply #115: Dec 08, 2009 09:25:37 am
      True defo not at anfield but truly believe he will be a star at another club unfortunately where the manager wants an attacking player regardless of his off field antics. Some of the things hes done over the last 2and half years have been incredible if ulook at the highlights. Why hes never got a go at striker where he wants to play is beyond me especially as voronin has already been given the nod ahead of him. Mismanaged I believe from day one.

I am in the minority but agree with you.

I would like to see him play more against the "lesser" teams and see how he develops.

Up front yes but with a partner or on the right where he always looks better and more confident.

leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #116: Dec 08, 2009 02:21:42 pm
      Could you stop comparing him to Ronaldo!! FFS im getting absolutely sick of it! As much as I hate ladyboy, he showed a lot more skill a lot earlier than Babel did or ever will. Babel is only a year younger than Ronaldo, and the gulf in class is deeper than the darkest depths of the Atlantic ocean. And don't say if he has a string of games he will be that good, because if he was he would show it in the games he gets. We can't give him 5 games in a row just hoping he will come good, because if he plays the first 2-3 absolutely sh*te, then why should he be given another chance? Football is about grabbing your chance when given. At the moment, even with our injuries, we still have players more deserving of spots than Babel. I would rather see Pacheco etc come up from the ressies than Babel, because they bust their asses every week down in the Reserves. I have watched, and I see more in those players than I ever have in Babel. He should not be given games to reach that so called potential, because if you play sh*t you can't expect chances. Rafa took a punt in letting him start the first game, and he was shocking. And as a player who has never shone, he was duly dumped. And so he should have been. And so he should be sold. End of.

Ok what im trying to say is Babel has had 24 PL starts in his whole Liverpool career.Lucas this season has already almost that amount. CR9 in his first season had 14 PL starts with only 4 goals at lets face it a huge club like Utd.The next season Cr9 was given 25 PL starts with only 5 goals. Forgetting age he had way more experience than Babel yet his numbers are mathematically worse. Even in his 3rd season  which is the same as Babel now he had 9 goals from 24 starts. Babel is hitting those numbers with less games give or take.Was Cr9 tracking back,running around in training,being a good little boy to the manager.. NO.He was doing mostly the opposite going our 2 clubs,moaning about everything and losing the ball almost every time. He played because its about who can do it during a match now and into the near future. After those average 3 seasons Fergie didnt start Park every game and use Cr9as a sub(like Kuyt and Babel now) because these young players are never going to develop by watching workhorses on the bench.

people have a short memory.Cr9 was laughed at for years by fans for his turnovers and showboating. It was 5 seasons into his career that people start mentioning him as world class.Couple that with meagre goal returns and assists, by Liverpool fans logic should be sold off for 5mil at the same stage of his career. Like Ive said before I dont know if Babel could turn out to be in the same league as CR9 but until he gets the games and opportunities truth is no one knows. Just cant stand to see a player bashed over an 8 min sub appearance and not somehow changing the game when our 11 starters couldnt finish their dinner at the moment. With that being said hes already changed the Lyon game out of nowhere.

We cant play him 5 games in a row??WHy not we just played Lucas for 20 and hes just a squad player.

If the LFC fans want the type of players who win matches or those who give their heart with little talent then thats fine but no team has ever won the PL using that system. You cant say Babel had his real chance over a shocking first game of the season thats ridiculous. Then hes dropped from the squad completely?!?!? As for Pacheco I agree hes also a talent but judging by Babels treatment cant see Pacheco doing much better cos hes bound to have some shockers aswell judging by some of his reserve performances plus the lad never even played a full match for the club.Personally I rate Spearing yet after 1 shocker against sunderland hasnt been heard of since.This style of tough management isnt effective with every player to get the best out of them.
      Rafa isnt god we've already lost 3 quality strikers over poor mismanagement why lose our greatest prospects aswell?
      « Last Edit: Dec 08, 2009 02:30:01 pm by leeboy30 »
      Rood
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 334 posts |
      Reply #117: Dec 08, 2009 02:29:29 pm
      Babel just isn't that great of a prospect, physically he has the talent, mentally he doesn't.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #118: Dec 08, 2009 02:34:05 pm
      Babel just isn't that great of a prospect, physically he has the talent, mentally he doesn't.
      That might be a bit harsh. What we know is mentally he cant deal with constantly being a sub to lesser talented players and forced to create magic in an 8 min sub appearance. Hes frustrated to see Lucas play every game yet the club is doing terribly this season and nothing beings done about it. We're crying out for attacking quality.

Could he mentally deal with playing a full season as a regular starter dont know but Il fancy my chances with his moments of brilliance rather than the guaranteed sidewards pass we're getting at the moment.
      Rood
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 334 posts |
      Reply #119: Dec 09, 2009 01:17:00 am
      That might be a bit harsh. What we know is mentally he cant deal with constantly being a sub to lesser talented players and forced to create magic in an 8 min sub appearance. Hes frustrated to see Lucas play every game yet the club is doing terribly this season and nothing beings done about it. We're crying out for attacking quality.

Could he mentally deal with playing a full season as a regular starter dont know but Il fancy my chances with his moments of brilliance rather than the guaranteed sidewards pass we're getting at the moment.
      That's not harsh. I've known him since his days at Ajax, and he hasn't changed a bit. He really hasn't changed at all since then, I can't see any improvement except for him being stronger physically. Even back then he'd nag about wanting to be a striker. A top player can perform under harsh circumstances and under pressure, Babel will never be that guy. Not to mention all the unacceptable things he has said in the media lately. The club might not be doing great, but that's not Lucas' fault. Even so, Babel should focus on himself, not on other players or the World Cup or whatever.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #120: Dec 09, 2009 02:28:02 am
      Leopards do not change their spots. Babel seems to me to have always been a selfish c**t, and he will continue to be. He will never develop into a fantastic footballer because of that, he believes he is rather than actually showing he is.

Over this discussion in all honesty.
      sivapc
      • Banned

• 238 posts | -25 
      Reply #121: Dec 09, 2009 02:59:17 am

how do you know??

didn't he come up with a stunner at lyon after being linked with a move away from anfield.?

the problem is rafa just doesn't know how to handle him.. had he shown 10% of the faith he has shown in lucas to babel, we very well would have had new van basten or bergkamp under our ranks..

now.. nothing..

hey wait a second, we have the superman kuyt.. sure he's better than babel.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #122: Dec 09, 2009 03:07:12 am
      how do you know??

didn't he come up with a stunner at lyon after being linked with a move away from anfield.?

the problem is rafa just doesn't know how to handle him.. had he shown 10% of the faith he has shown in lucas to babel, we very well would have had new van basten or bergkamp under our ranks..

now.. nothing..

Umm. WTF? New Van Basten or Bergkamp? Seriously, why do people just think that he would have been great had he been given a chance? FFS!! He has had so many chances already! But he went backwards. Lucas got the faith because HE SHOWED THE RIGHT ATTITUDE!!!! Babel has never once just admitted his faults and knuckled down to try and fix them, instead just blaming others all the time. Rafa does know how to handle him. He acts like a little cry baby, he doesn't get a game. Simple.

Oh yeah, i saw that goal against Lyon. Oh, and then what happened, i saw him blaze a shot wildly off target just a minute or so later. Therein is the issue. It is only glimpses. Mascherano has scored a brilliant goal just like that one, don't mean its gonna happen regularly.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #123: Dec 09, 2009 03:21:10 am
      sivapc
      • Banned

• 238 posts | -25 
      Reply #124: Dec 09, 2009 03:34:56 am
      Umm. WTF? New Van Basten or Bergkamp? Seriously, why do people just think that he would have been great had he been given a chance? FFS!! He has had so many chances already! But he went backwards. Lucas got the faith because HE SHOWED THE RIGHT ATTITUDE!!!! Babel has never once just admitted his faults and knuckled down to try and fix them, instead just blaming others all the time. Rafa does know how to handle him. He acts like a little cry baby, he doesn't get a game. Simple.

Oh yeah, i saw that goal against Lyon. Oh, and then what happened, i saw him blaze a shot wildly off target just a minute or so later. Therein is the issue. It is only glimpses. Mascherano has scored a brilliant goal just like that one, don't mean its gonna happen regularly.

right attitude doesn't mean they are right players for the club..

ok tell me what is right attitude anyway.

if he gets first team chances like far more limited players such as kuyt and lucas, i'm pretty sure he won't moan to the press.. how can someone show right attitude when they get sh*t treatment?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #125: Dec 09, 2009 03:49:53 am
      right attitude doesn't mean they are right players for the club..

No, it doesn't. But at least they can conform to the team ideal and play as best they can to the good of the team, rather than just try and play for there own benefit. Which is what Babel is doing, clearly only caring for getting into the World Cup squad.

ok tell me what is right attitude anyway.

Well for me, it is simple. If you cannot get into the team, knuckle down quietly and keep working. If you work hard enough and show determination and something that will benefit the team on the field, you will always get a chance. You should never look at anything but what you have to do next, not look to next summer like Babel does. Obviously Rafa wouldn't keep Babel out of the side if he was showing he has something to benefit the team. If he wants to be in the squad bad enough AND has this so-called potential that we are always hearing about, then he will show something in training or the chances he does get.

if he gets first team chances like far more limited players such as kuyt and lucas, I'm pretty sure he won't moan to the press.. how can someone show right attitude when they get sh*t treatment?

How can we give him good treatment if he has a sh*t attitude? Works both ways, my friend.

leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #126: Dec 09, 2009 10:16:09 pm
      Me personally not too pushed about attitude plenty of top players out there have bad attitude take CR9 as the best example of that. Already this week hes been sent off for taking his shirt off then a petulent foul, refused to celebrate Benzemas goal cos he didnt score first. Attitude is of course important but unfortunately in the real world doesnt outrank talent and ability. Like ive said before if it did Kevin Kilbane could win the ballon d'or.

I agree its a 2 way street but players are impatient and playing Insua and Lucas week after week based primarily on attitude over contribution is disheartening to other squad members. They havent been starting every match cos there irreplacable they have a great work ethic which is great for the club but the best teams have a balance of both and at the moment weve too many grafters and not enough quality.

A team full of Babels would stink the joint up but so would a team full of lucas' type players too. At some stage Rafas going have to concede to ability because we dont have the funds to buy a player who has both like gerrard/torres cos they cost about 30-50mil at the moment. By my latest calculations we have about 2 quid to spend in January!!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #127: Dec 09, 2009 10:20:33 pm
      Concede to ability? Speculated ability? Because Babel does not have ability, he has some so-called potential. But it doesn't show much. I'd rather we do what we did today and play the likes of Pacheco, and N'Gog as well.

Babel is surplus now, im afraid, barring an unlikely reformation of attitude.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #128: Dec 09, 2009 10:43:16 pm
      Im hoping this thread will get locked soon as the mere thought of Babel in our starting line up makes me hit things.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,293 posts | 938 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #129: Dec 09, 2009 10:56:23 pm
      He has had his chances  attitude stinks end of no further comment
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #130: Dec 09, 2009 11:07:56 pm
      The performance of Doss & Pacheco tonight should provide Babel the much needed push. Either motivation one or  push Babel out of the pecking order. I personally prefer the latter rather than the former.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,293 posts | 938 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #131: Dec 09, 2009 11:11:08 pm
      Yes the end of Babel and hopefully Voronin as well
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #132: Dec 09, 2009 11:32:48 pm
      Concede to ability? Speculated ability? Because Babel does not have ability, he has some so-called potential. But it doesn't show much. I'd rather we do what we did today and play the likes of Pacheco, and N'Gog as well.

Babel is surplus now, im afraid, barring an unlikely reformation of attitude.

Ngog and Pacheco are just younger versions of Babel who u have much more time for. What Im saying is players like Lucas give us only sidewards ball after 20 starts. In that time even a Babel would have score surely at least 4 times. We're playing guaranteed mediocracy over prospective talent. I agree ngog and pacheco shud get their chance too but how long before they get treated like Babel when in 2 years from now Lucas is still starting and ngog is considered too old to be a talent and is moaning about being on the bench??

In case u havent noticed we're drawing and losing at the moment been like that for half a season now. id rather lose trying to win with players with ability than lose by playing sidewards ball with a load of grafters. No matter what way u look at it Babels got a lot more so-called talent/ability/prospect than some of our squad members so why shouldnt we take advantage of that instead of settling for draws.If wenger and other guys were in for him 2 years ago he hasnt just gone crap and if he hasnt developed the club is surely somewhat to blame as we've been developing him!!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #133: Dec 09, 2009 11:55:12 pm
      FFS. Not even gonna bother anymore. He may have it, but his attitude is sh*t and not a Liverpool attitude. I couldn't care less if he leaves and finally realizes it somewhere else, because he has shown to be a little c**t here and i dont want players like that at the club. End of, im getting a beer to sooth frustration.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,499 posts | 8678 
      Reply #134: Dec 10, 2009 12:37:48 am
      Ngog and Pacheco are just younger versions of Babel who u have much more time for. What Im saying is players like Lucas give us only sidewards ball after 20 starts. In that time even a Babel would have score surely at least 4 times. We're playing guaranteed mediocracy over prospective talent. I agree ngog and pacheco shud get their chance too but how long before they get treated like Babel when in 2 years from now Lucas is still starting and ngog is considered too old to be a talent and is moaning about being on the bench??

In case u havent noticed we're drawing and losing at the moment been like that for half a season now. id rather lose trying to win with players with ability than lose by playing sidewards ball with a load of grafters. No matter what way u look at it Babels got a lot more so-called talent/ability/prospect than some of our squad members so why shouldnt we take advantage of that instead of settling for draws.If wenger and other guys were in for him 2 years ago he hasnt just gone crap and if he hasnt developed the club is surely somewhat to blame as we've been developing him!!

At least the likes of lucas and N'gog give it their all.

How many chances does that lazy b***ard babel need?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #135: Dec 10, 2009 12:45:37 am
      At least the likes of lucas and N'gog give it their all.

How many chances does that lazy b***ard babel need?

Exactly what ive been trying to say, mate! Some just seem to think that give him a run of 5 or so games and he'll come good. My point is if he is as good as he is meant to become, he doesn't need that much!
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #136: Dec 10, 2009 02:31:05 am
      Exactly what ive been trying to say, mate! Some just seem to think that give him a run of 5 or so games and he'll come good. My point is if he is as good as he is meant to become, he doesn't need that much!
      Thats a silly comment. You can't become good after a few games. You need to have a consistent run to prove yourself. Ronaldo wouldn't be the player he is now if he only came on as a sub for 10 minutes and started a game once in a blue moon.
      Rood
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 334 posts |
      Reply #137: Dec 10, 2009 02:45:30 am
      how do you know??

now.. nothing..

I know because I've been following him for 6 years now, all of his professional career. Scoring one great goal doesn't make someone a great player. And you can't compare Babel with players like Bergkamp and Van Basten. Fact is, Babel has never been a succesful striker in his professional career, he wasn't that succesful at Ajax either, while dutch football was at a much lower level during his time compared to Bergkamp and van Basten. Van Basten scored 277 goals in 370 in just 10 years, Babel can't even stand in his shadow.

Quick Reply