Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool 1 - 2 Fiorentina: Post-match musings

Read 20936 times
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Re: Re: LIVE: Liverpool v Fiorentina
      Reply #92: Dec 09, 2009 10:06:56 pm
      Workhouse my arse Dirk Kuyt performances have simply been awful all season. He offers the team f**k all at the moment whether he plays up front or out on the right. The position I'd play him is on the bench next to Insua.
      I agree my team for arsenal would be
              reina
      johnson carragher agger aurelio
      benayoun mascherano lucas dossena
                       gerrard
                       torres
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Liverpool 1 - 2 Fiorentina: Post-match musings
      Reply #93: Dec 09, 2009 10:07:59 pm
      I wouldn't get carried away with Dossena, we still badly need a quality wide left midfielder.

No doubting that mate and I'd never carried away by Doss unless he rohyphnoled me, however going off Kuyt's form and what Riera/Babel have offered us from there this season maybe Yossi wouldn't be so bad on the right and Dossena given a chance to prove he can recreate that display for a few games ?
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Re: Daniel Pacheco Player Thread
      Reply #94: Dec 09, 2009 10:08:09 pm
      We need give him more play time now. He is F***ing good Rafa!
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #95: Dec 09, 2009 10:09:31 pm
      I don't need anyone to agree with what I feel about the game. I'll start with the positives.

I was glad to see Aquilani start and he played a solid 75 minutes, but for me he's been quiet in the second half. But still the most important thing is to get the match fitness up. As for Pacheco and Darby, I was made up for both of them, and Darby learnt a good lesson, that at football at such a high level you've gotta be on your toes all the time. It was glad to see Gerrard and Torres play as well

We haven't threatened the keeper that much, crosses coming in, our heads didn’t meet the ball – and that’s a chance lost. We hit the side netting a few times, fair enough, and besides that Pacheco's shot and Yossi's goal that was about it. The keeper didn't had much to do. We didn't make the keeper work much. We've gotta make the keeper work more if we want to score, honestly.

We're slow off the blocks, we take too much time in midfield and by the time Viola would have already regrouped. The penetration down the centre is not there yet. The creativity in the middle, to get the ball going as quickly as possibly isn't there. The tempo isn't there. Really predictable football. We didn't control the game, we had no conviction, especially at the final third of in their half.

Don't ask me what game I was watching, it was Liverpool v Fiorentina. Let me make this clear I'm not knee-jerking, just giving my very honest assessment of the game which is entirely different for yours. This is what a forum is for.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 922 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #96: Dec 09, 2009 10:09:32 pm
      He is still very young should be brought on slowly, thought he looked good great control and shot showed Kuyt how to control a ball
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #97: Dec 09, 2009 10:10:13 pm
      Like most of this year's Champions League, we've been unable to defend properly until the final whistle. Not just Darby but Aurelio just pumping the ball up to nobody but their keeper, he's an experienced player and he does that. Just put your foot on the ball and hold it. That's how they got the ball back in the first place.

Not too many positives about tonight other than a few of the fringe players gave a good account of themselves - Cav, Pacheco, Dossena. And Stevie's delivery was top drawer all game, just a shame nobody put their head on them other than Yossi's goal.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 922 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #98: Dec 09, 2009 10:13:20 pm
      Like most of this year's Champions League, we've been unable to defend properly until the final whistle. Not just Darby but Aurelio just pumping the ball up to nobody but their keeper, he's an experienced player and he does that. Just put your foot on the ball and hold it. That's how they got the ball back in the first place.

Not too many positives about tonight other than a few of the fringe players gave a good account of themselves - Cav, Pacheco, Dossena. And Stevie's delivery was top drawer all game, just a shame nobody put their head on them other than Yossi's goal.
      Gerrards crossing was nothing short of fantastic tonight pity we didn't take advantage tonight
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #99: Dec 09, 2009 10:13:38 pm
      Great to see Aquilani to get a run out today and he had a couple of great moments in the game including a couple of stylish flicks and a couple of cross field passes however if Aquilani starts against Arsenal we will be incredibly vulnerable to Arsenal as they counter sharpish and with Aquilani in the middle we are defensively vulnerable, maybe Rafa could swap the two roles of the players being Gerrard and Aquilani.

Kuyt was invisible in the game today, Pacheco played better in his cameo appearance than Kuyt through his 3/4 of the game. Another bonus was Gerrard today he looked very sharp untill now his sharpness was laking but today his set pieces were inch perfect.

As for Torres he looked sharp and if he had started IMO he could of had a couple goals however i prefer that Rafa opted to rest the lad.

Great all round shift put in from Dossena today, he had it all going for him he was always running and always tried to play the attacking ball and also made a couple of good crosses from nothing.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #100: Dec 09, 2009 10:14:07 pm

Almost bloody identical i can't believe it!! Yossi scored right at the end of both first halves, we let them back in midway through the second in both games, and after pushing for a winner we fu**ed up and let them win at the death in both!!

Have not seen the game, and am disappointed, but at the same time not so much as we experimented a little in this one. Choosing to be positive, i thought it was great that we saw Aquilani play 75 and get through it, Nando come back, and seeing some youth in Pacheco, who will gain valuable experience in having played 15 minutes in a bit of a pressure environment.

And hell, from what im reading, positive in Dossena too. A player who is repeatedly blasted, from me as well, and has not played much at all, took his chance from what ive read and has probably given Rafa something to think about. Oh, and to all the "Babel should be given 5+ in a row games to show us what he has got" people, THIS is what taking your chance is about. Doss is not someone im sure Rafa thinks about to much, but he was given a chance and showed something, with just one chance. Babel, if he is good enough, can do the same. Otherwise there is no point giving him 5 games in a row to reach that potential.

Onwards and upwards, i think Aquilani getting a valuable start in this game bodes well for Arsenal. He has got the first game jitters out hopefully, now onto the important stuff!

YNWA
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #101: Dec 09, 2009 10:15:08 pm
      For me if it came down to who I'd think has it in them to change a game Voronin or Pacheco I'd take pacheco every time, I think its high time Rafa started blooding some of these quality youngsters and I would not mind Pacheco being on the bench for every game and getting a run out in one or two games.
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #102: Dec 09, 2009 10:16:55 pm
      I think Dirk needs a blow he has run his knackers off for three years now so get behind him when he needs support , I think it's the least he deserves,pity Darby made a mistake at the end but he will have learnt a lesson there , Dossana gave us good balance on the left more than Riera/ Babel  have done all season , all credit to the lad ,roll on Sunday when the gunners come to town when Nando / Gerrard can get a bit of frustration off their chests C' mon redmen theres a long way to go in this crazy season .
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #103: Dec 09, 2009 10:17:43 pm
      I was delighted to see him come on tonight, having been a long time admirer of him in the ressies.  About time he got a chance in the first team, and he took it well.  What a prospect he is!
      Shakesy
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts |
      Reply #104: Dec 09, 2009 10:19:25 pm
      Definitely have Pacheco over Voronin, Darby though... gave the ball away at least 3 times and was lucky that only one of the cost us a goal. Dossena was offside everytime he got a chance on the ball, not good enough.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #105: Dec 09, 2009 10:20:49 pm
      Definitely have Pacheco over Voronin, Darby though... gave the ball away at least 3 times and was lucky that only one of the cost us a goal. Dossena was offside everytime he got a chance on the ball, not good enough.

You mean Dirk? Surely...?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #106: Dec 09, 2009 10:21:07 pm
      Academic Really.

Should have played the reserves and given the first team a rest.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #107: Dec 09, 2009 10:21:36 pm
      Well just my opinion but I thought we controlled a lot of play despite the quality attacking threat Fiorentina had.  We need xtra up front so Rafa will have to think about that for Sunday.  I'd like to see Acquilani and Gerrard play but yes I agree we need to ensure that we keep defensive dutues in tact.  Skrtel/Agger didn't work this time.
      Shakesy
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts |
      Reply #108: Dec 09, 2009 10:21:52 pm
      Dirk was too, but Dosser stood out much more to me, the chances made when he was offside were much more significant.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #109: Dec 09, 2009 10:23:08 pm
      Dirk was too, but Dosser stood out much more to me, the chances made when he was offside were much more significant.

Dossena was excellent! I think he was offside once.

Kuyt was offside atleast 5 times.
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Andrea Dossena Player Thread
      Reply #110: Dec 09, 2009 10:23:38 pm
      Just for fun..

The poor lad has been bashed to F**k by a lot of us reds for his half baked performances since he arrived.. so this thread is purely for giving him a pat on the back for not being a whinging moaning b***ard and coming in and delivering a mighty fine performance considering he gets little or any game time at all.

Well in Dossena even though I've slated you myself, my man of the match tonight considering your situation at the club at the moment and I hope you've turned a corner and gave Rafa a headache for the game against Arsenal.

Well in lad I commend you for your spirit and attitude.

thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #111: Dec 09, 2009 10:24:09 pm
      Dossena was offside once maybe twice but no way was he offside every time he got a chance if you read most people's opion they think dossena played well.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #112: Dec 09, 2009 10:24:23 pm
      Dossena was excellent! I think he was offside once.

Kuyt was offside atleast 5 times.

Watching the telegraph text commentary, I only saw Doss offside once. Dirk was offside a lot more.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #113: Dec 09, 2009 10:26:53 pm
      Succumbed to another last minute goal.. i tell ya, i'm glad to see the back of this Champions League.

Anyways, I thought Aquilani started well, always showing for the ball, but he did tire towards the end which is understandable due to his lack of match fitness (take note Rafa!)  Young Danny certainly looked lively when he came on, and wasn't shy, hopefully he has played his way into the squad on the back of his 15 minute cameo.

Nando also looked hungry when he came on, all good signs for the future.  Gutted for Darby at the end, but i suppose it is best to make errors in these type of games with nothing at stake and learn from them.

And who was that no. 38 on the left that looked like Dossena,  thought he had a great game.....sign him up!

All in all, disappointed with the result, but as there was nothing riding on it, i dont think it's worth a rant. 

Roll on Sunday so we can kick some Arse!

YNWA
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Re: Andrea Dossena Player Thread
      Reply #114: Dec 09, 2009 10:27:22 pm
      Well played doss great dertimantion and some good play let him have a few games.

Quick Reply