Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Glen Johnson: RB or on the wing?

RB
      (17.2%)
      Winger
      (68.7%)
      Undecided (for Bad Boy Bubby ;))
      (14.1%)

Glen Johnson, RB or RM?

Read 16041 times
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson
      • Started Topic

• 478 posts | -7 
      Glen Johnson, RB or RM?
      Dec 14, 2009 08:46:35 pm
      Since Glen's arrival from Portsmouth and I have been watching his great performances, the way he sneaks between defenders is amazing and his crossing and passing are also good as well as his finishing. These attributes make a better defender, but for defending, we talk about marking, strength, and tackling abilities ofcourse. Since his arrival to the club and he has been making mistakes in defending and I don't blame him, maybe he's got what it takes to be a great right midfielder but not a right back.
      Just imagine him playing in Kuyt's position, I bet our midfield will be much better.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Re: Glen Johnson, RB or RM?
      Reply #1: Dec 14, 2009 09:02:57 pm
      I think that he has a great potential to eventually plays as a RM. I'd like to see Rafa trying to play him with Degen and see what happens. I mean, he already tried Doss on the left wing why acceptable results so why not try Johnson on the right wing?

BTW i'm do not agree that much about his defensive skills. I think our defense as a whole has been a liability this season. Insúa for example is supposed to at least be solid defending which he clearly hasn't, and it's pretty much the same story with everyone else. If i ever saw our defense playing at top level and johnson failing at that moment i would begin to think he's bad defending.

Plus, playing him as a RB give him the element of surprise. Sadly, i don't think playing him with Kuyt as a RM will work for us if the dutchman stays with his current form. So I say let's at least give him a try and then talk c:
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #2: Dec 15, 2009 05:30:40 am
      With the exception of the lack of concentration to allow Arshavin score, coupled with the unluckiness that saw him put the ball into his own net on Sunday, I think he still is a decent defender.

Rafa has already admitted that going forward he is strong and it is his defending that needs improvement. Glen has rightfully acknowledged that and during his performances at rightback, I'm beginning to see some of his defensive work go to fruition.

Now I'm not saying that he's the best in defence or what not, I'm just saying that he's improving on his defensive aspect of his game. I think he does know better how to balance between going forward and coming back to defend, because most of the time I do see him back at his spot, not getting carried away by attacking. I've also seen Glen going into the penalty box and clearing whatever crosses that come in, and for me he looks more defensively sound as compared to the past.

I understand why you want him to play in Kuyt's position, considering Kuyt has been sh*te this season. However, who would take up his spot at rightback? Degen? Carragher? Kelly? Darby?

This topic is a very debatable topic because it depends on how you look at the system of the squad. For example, if you see Kuyt getting dropped and Gerrard moving to RM, then Johnson has to stay at RB. For me personally, we bought Johnson to play at RB so I'll rather keep him there. I don't want to push him up to RM, and then be relying either on Degen/Kelly/Darby throughout the whole season.

I think the reason why Rafa does not really want to play Johnson on the right is because of the lack of decent cover at the back. Yes, we've got Carra, but I rather see him in the centre of defence. Degen is just a liability at the back, he's clumsy, I wouldn't be relying on him week in week out. As for Kelly and Darby, they're still youngsters and still got a lot way to go in becoming first-teamers, so for the moment, I'll rather see them either on the bench and playing just a minor role in the squad.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: Dec 15, 2009 06:11:33 am
      Glen would be boss down the wing as a right midfielder as he has pace, is strong and can put in decent crosses.

But, who would be playing Right back then?
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #4: Dec 15, 2009 06:16:49 am
      I believe its a good shout especially if Rafa is not willing to change the team's current formation.I would personally prefer us play 4-4-2 with Gerarrd on the right and Aquilani in the middle of the park with Masch partnering him but if we play the current formation Glen can be given Kuyt's position and we can employ Kelly as the RB.Glen is just the player we need on the right wing,someone who has got pace and can run at players.Also Kelly has proved already his credentials at RB against Lyon and theres nothing wrong in showing some trust in the youngsters particularly when we dont have the funds to buy players.Sooner rather than later these youngsters have to get into the first team so why not start from now.
      « Last Edit: Dec 15, 2009 06:29:59 am by red_kaiser »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5: Dec 15, 2009 07:01:17 am
       I have advocated for a while that I think that Glen Johnson is worth far more to the team playing on the right wing.he has the ability to beat a man when attacking and getting the ball across or having a go at goal himself.The answer as I see it is to either buy a new right back or promote one of the young lads from the reserves and push Glen forward.Anyone can see that Glen likes to get forward so the position would not be strange to him.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #6: Dec 15, 2009 08:08:36 am
      I have advocated for a while that I think that Glen Johnson is worth far more to the team playing on the right wing.he has the ability to beat a man when attacking and getting the ball across or having a go at goal himself.The answer as I see it is to either buy a new right back or promote one of the young lads from the reserves and push Glen forward.Anyone can see that Glen likes to get forward so the position would not be strange to him.

One MAN's name comes to mind. A certain Martin Kelly!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #7: Dec 15, 2009 08:22:51 am
      Exactly. Buying another right back would be a waste of money in my opinion, we have that area pretty well covered even if Glen is moved forward.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #8: Dec 15, 2009 08:33:51 am
      If Dirk Kuyt still isn't playing well by the time Martin Kelly comes back, i say we should play Glen as Right Back with Kelly playing behind him.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #9: Dec 15, 2009 08:50:54 am
      Why not but lets do it against the lesser teams.

I wouldnt have any worries about Degen or Kelly playing there behind him.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Dec 15, 2009 08:53:29 am
      One MAN's name comes to mind. A certain Martin Kelly!
      I would not disagree with that,also i did say either buy a new back or promote one of the young lads in my post.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 631 posts | 61 
      Reply #11: Dec 15, 2009 09:00:32 am
      As a defender you would much rather have kuyt running at you than Johnson in full flight,in games where we have struggled to break down opposing defences  its an option for Rafa to push Johnson up to give us that bit more going forward
      collector
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts |
      Reply #12: Dec 15, 2009 09:58:07 am
      Prefer him as a RB.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #13: Dec 15, 2009 10:31:47 am
      Right wing - save a few quid in or hunt for proper width: right backs are cheaper to buy if we need a back up.  ;)
      Tombo
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 58 posts | -2 
      Reply #14: Dec 15, 2009 02:50:12 pm
      outstanding call!   GJ playing right midfield and darby/kelly playing right back. Someone get on the phone to rafa and let him know whet wev decided.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson
      • Started Topic

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #15: Dec 15, 2009 03:10:36 pm
      I see some are worried about the RB position if we move him forward but if we don't give the youngsters a chance then the whole academy is sh*t! I don't see any wrong in playing Kelly sometimes as an RB while we can also buy an experienced RB player and it won't cost much.
      Another thing that nobody has thought about, if Glen plays as an RM, we can move Kuyt to partner with Torres and that will be better for Torres and he will have more efficiency.
      Someone get on the phone to rafa and let him know whet wev decided.

I'll call his grandmother in Spain, "Hola,...  :lmao:
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #16: Dec 15, 2009 05:04:23 pm
      Let Kuyt rest, give Johnson the RM position and promote Kelly!
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #17: Dec 15, 2009 05:30:45 pm
      I would really like to see Glen Johnson in the right midfield role and see how he does with this being said it also creates rooms to give both Degen and Kelly a chance at right back
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #18: Dec 15, 2009 09:33:57 pm
      Right mid for me and on Kellys performance i would have him right back Jonson would help him along
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #19: Dec 16, 2009 04:35:34 am
      Right back. It's where Rafa planned for him being effective, not right wing.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 631 posts | 61 
      Reply #20: Dec 16, 2009 07:00:54 am

Right back. It's where Rafa planned for him being effective, not right wing.
      Agreed,but surely Rafa has seen enough of the lad to see he really could do a job at right wing and inject some attacking flair into our play which we badly need,i am confident he would do a better job than Kuyt,and Kelly would be an ample deputy at RB
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #21: Dec 16, 2009 07:11:19 am
      Another thing that nobody has thought about, if Glen plays as an RM, we can move Kuyt to partner with Torres
      Or just drop him!
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #22: Dec 16, 2009 07:14:51 am

I like this. If Arbeloa hadn't moved then I think Glen would have spent some time this season as Right Wing, but he was bought to play right back and thats where he should stay

Quick Reply