Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Liverpool v Unirea Urziceni 18/02/2010 - Man Of The Match

David N'Gog
      (3.8%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (11.4%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (1%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (17.1%)
      Albert Riera
      (1.9%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (1%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (17.1%)
      Dani Pacheco
      (13.3%)
      Ryan Babel
      (28.6%)
      Alberto Aquilani
      (1%)
      Fabio Aurelio
      (1.9%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (0%)
      Pepe Reina
      (1.9%)

Liverpool 1-0 Unirea Urziceni - Post Match Cuddles

Read 23535 times
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Re: Liverpool v Unirea Urziceni - Post Match Cuddles
      Reply #138: Feb 19, 2010 08:38:03 am
      Wake up people - did you really believe we were going to win 6-0..??

We have no right just because we are LFC to win games.

We all know our problem has been breaking down teams who sit in their own half and just defend and unless you get that early goal that opens the game up it can be frustrating I agree but get a grip please.

We have a clean sheet and 1 goal at their place should be enough.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #139: Feb 19, 2010 09:00:23 am
      Just this: I could have played Centre-half or Goalkeeper for either team last night and the result wouldn't have been any different.
      « Last Edit: Feb 19, 2010 09:21:23 am by bad boy bubby »
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #140: Feb 19, 2010 09:25:09 am
      I agree with the comments that we shouldn't just expect to win 6-0 because they are a small club but still, I think we showed them way too much respect. Should have thrown the kitchen sink at them.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #141: Feb 19, 2010 10:11:48 am
      What's worrying is we were only able to score one goal even though we had a million chances. Hopefully, with Nando coming back soon though that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Babel did well as a sub, we all know he has great potential to do well here and if he carries on putting performances like that then he could be a more regular player.

But a win is a win, hopefully in the next leg we can rip them a new arsehole though. :D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3953 
      Reply #142: Feb 19, 2010 10:12:48 am
      I think so.

But to be fair, I don't think these fellas would be much an improvement over the linesman from what I saw. I don't think they'd have a much better view on set pieces where the box is crowded either.

There are occasions where they could be useful, but not enough to justify their presence.

Just whack a bloody beepy lasery thing on the goal line and get over it!
      It says even more about questionable human judgement when ever more officals are employed and a glaring direct free kick/penalty is missed.
      The decision to have more people loitering on the touchline is the answer from the bureaucratic crazed EUFA oligarchs to further confuse the issue and keep them and their lackeys in outrageously well paid jobs, technology would eliminate human error and in one stroke dispatch Blatter and his cohorts.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #143: Feb 19, 2010 10:39:12 am
      I've just read this entire thread in order to get a balance view of peoples views, and apart from one or two knobheads (namely Beerdog for one !) with less than 200 posts to there names coming on slating Rafa (wrong thread by the way !) most people got it spot on.

Not a great performance by any standard (but take a look at the Anfield game against Villa to see where good performances get us !) but it's the result that counts, it is a knockout tournament after all !

Wallbanger say's in one of his posts that our goalscoring against European opposition has been poor this season, HELLO ! ain't it bleeding obvious, we're already out of one European competition because of it, but if we can't beat domestic opposition what chance have we against Europe's best (don't forget these we're champions of there country (however small !)) ! when did we last win our domestic league then ?

We defended well, kept the ball (most of the time !), kept a clean sheet (no away goal conceded ) gave a Youngster a runout in Europe and benefited !

One more point, we've never got knocked out after winning the first leg 1-0 in this competition (in any of its guise's) !
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Unirea Urziceni - Post Match Cuddles
      Reply #144: Feb 19, 2010 10:41:39 am
      Can't see how Fabio was a shambles mate. We had nothing coming at us down the left. The only thing Fabio was useless at was being arsed, just like the rest of them until the last 20 minutes of the second half or so.

Personally, I don't think last night is a night for singling people out apart from Rafa.

It was a disgrace to see how all the lads' attitude was to the game. It was a disgrace to the attitude of practically 85% of the 'supporters' in the ground apart from probably a few hundred in the back of the Kop and a good crowd in the corner of the Anny Rd (the red corner).

And the reason why I'm singling Rafa out is because he deserves criticism and praise. Criticism for persisting with Aquilani behind Gerrard. Doesn't make sense to me that. Gerrard became the player he is through being a central midfielder with Liverpool FC. While Torres is out, I would have him back in midfield for the team. What's the point in playing a player like Aquilani, deep and behind Gerrard? Surely a player like Aquilani is a player to feed!
      But the change was needed and the change was made, so praise for that. Babel came on and had a go! How much was that needed? Very much. Dani Pacheco came on and injected some life into the the attack down the right and around the box.

A lot of people need a reality check - players and fans alike. We haven't won any silverware for a while now. We got the win. But that certainly wasn't good enough in my book. We played most of that match like it was a friendly and that is bang out of order. 

Agree with that 100005%

My only reasoning for it was he was trying to get Aquilani involved more and more comfortable on the ball. Other than that, was clear he needed to be pushed up.

However, that blame lies with Aquilani for that because they're midfield was non-existant. They had 2 rows of players in the box with about 20 yards of space and Alberto just stood there.

Poor performance made better through Babel and Pacheco.

EDIT: Oh and i gave Carra my MOTM. Thought he was boss at RB even though i don't want him there.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #145: Feb 19, 2010 10:45:27 am
      What was with the goal judge walking on to the pitch all the time. Thought it was a pitch invasion half the time. More jobsworths to have a bogus opinion.

Back to the game.

Unirea made Wolves look adventurous. Horrible game to watch. They didnt come to play football just to keep a nil all draw.

In saying that we could have a two or three last night. Two would have done my prediction and how I screamed at the tv for the last ten mins.
      Hard to pick a man of the match for me because it looked largely frustrating but Gerrard and Ngog worked hard to break them down and was delighted when Pacheco knocked back the ball for Ngog. Babel had a good spell but I still think he loses the ball too easily when he tries to cut inside. Put the ball in for the goal though so cant slate him too much today.

Pacheco to feature against City? As a sub probably but good interchanging with Kuyt when he came on
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #146: Feb 19, 2010 10:48:47 am
      On the subject of the 'extra tools' officiating on the pitch.

Funny how they gave us that corner at the end when it was either a free kick of a goal kick.

5 officials. Another wrong decision.

Can't see the point of it all really. 
      mikastoo
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #147: Feb 19, 2010 10:48:59 am
      I tell you what. Theres some right beauts posting a whole load of tripe in here.

We won. A clean sheet against a stubborn side who are the Champions of Romania.

I'm fairly happy with that at the moment.

Amen to that mate! After the season we've had there's people complaining when we win and keep a clean sheet.  I'm more than happy with that.  YNWA
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #148: Feb 19, 2010 10:53:40 am
      On the subject of the 'extra tools' officiating on the pitch.

Funny how they gave us that corner at the end when it was either a free kick of a goal kick.

5 officials. Another wrong decision.

Can't see the point of it all really. 

Absolutely. I was gobsmacked. And he said 'corner' when the bloke never even touched the ball throughout the whole tackling motion.

He'll be playing the second leg and smiling all the way, when he should of been off.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #149: Feb 19, 2010 10:53:44 am
      Can't be bothered to have a go at the lads anymore if I'm honest.

I've seen too many sh*t performances this season to be annoyed at a clean sheet and win at home in Europe.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #150: Feb 19, 2010 11:11:43 am

We were far from being fantastic but I have seen us play much worse this season. There wasn’t a single moment in the match where I felt we wasn’t in control or they were going to score, we were too sloppy at times. I thought despite scoring ngog wasn’t great, Riera was pretty poor and for me Kuyt wasn’t great. Babel looked like he had something to prove also and Personally I thought Carra had a solid game and went forward a lot, but we won and that’s all that matters. In football terms Rome wasn’t built over 1 leg, im not too fearful of the second leg.

6pm kick off 2nd leg if no one knew
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,322 posts | 1524 
      Reply #151: Feb 19, 2010 11:57:27 am
      A win is a win. Thought they were so cautious and defensive, it was never going to be a classic. They were very organised and determined and we never really created many clear cut chances although Pepe must have been bored out of his mind. We didn't seem to have the killer pass in the last third and were reluctant to shoot from outside the box too often.  Don't think anyone was brilliant but neither were they completely rubbish. Sort of mediocre. Glad to see young Danny get a few minutes and he done himself no harm with that performance. Lifted the pace of the attack a little bit as well. Babel looked like he wanted to run at them and would have done much better if they wern't so deep. There was no room behind them for him to exploit but he done better than i've seen in the past.  Ngog still a long way from the finished article, even though he scored. Not a lover of him and didn't look any better then previous. Should be able to beat these comfortably in the return as they have to score and will come at us (not too hard I hope) which will give us a bit more room to operate in.  All in all, a win and on to City Sunday.  By the way,  if we get through, who have we got in the next round, the winners of which pair, anyone know?
      redcraig
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 172 posts | 14 
      Reply #152: Feb 19, 2010 12:23:42 pm
      Last night was probably one of the most frustrating nights I have watched in years.

For me, a lot of people are on here lambasting Rafa. And if they do, the get lambasted by those who are pro Rafa. To be honest, it should be somewhere in the middle. Rafa was far from blameless last night for a really poor performance, no matter how many positives we can take from it, and fans should be allowed to have a go because I believe we are entitled to criticise when we are really poor. However, although Rafa is not perfect he is still an excellent manager who has had far more good nights than he has bad, and last season he was being hailed as a genius. I believe he is the man to lead us through the most difficult period in our history but that does not make him perfect as last night showed.

Apart from one or two players who were obviously used to doing something more interesting on a Thursday night, it was tactics that annoyed me the most. Why we continued to play with 4 at the back all night long when they had absolutely no interest in going forward is beyond me. Yes, the full backs push up but with 3 at the back we could have pushed another attacker up to trouble their 5 defenders where N'gog was left with the job of making it difficult for them. I am not N'gogs biggest fan but to give him the task of holding the ball up against 5 defenders was really poor. We then went left and right all night long to put cross balls in (which would have been better if Aurelio or Riera could control and pass the ball properly) and with 5 or 6 of them in the box to our 2 players meant it was quite easy for them to just clear all night. Aqualani offerred absolutely nothing apart from a few nice sideways passes but we already have the King of the Sideways pass in our squad. To me it is easy. The captain is by some distance our best midfield player where he carved his name in central midfield for years. Play him there. Aqualani is supposedly intelligent and creative. Play hm further forward. Why try and turn him into the Bride of Lucas?

A few people have commented that they are the Champions of Romania and that they are better than we thought they were. I totally disagree. This team were one of the worst teams to ever play at Anfield. The didn't create one thing. didn't string passes together and were only capable of being physical at the back.

This was not a defence of Baresi, Maldini, Nesta et al, this was wee Mustapha and big Jimmy who get paid 40 shoogels and a packet of Skittles to play in a very poor league. Add to that they have not played for months and anyone who has played football at any  level knows that if you do not play competitively for a while your fitness suffers. We did not test their fitness as they were happy to stand and defend. This is a team who played Northwich Victoria in a friendly last week and won 1-0!!!! So no, they are not a good side.

Tactically wrong. Some players are not good enough and how we have got ourself in a position where we have absolutely no spark up front is crazy.

Aaaah, that feels better!

Where's the wife she's next!
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #153: Feb 19, 2010 12:28:13 pm
      No idea who we have if we get to the next round- im guessing they will say when we are playing the 2nd leg.

What does Rafa see in Ngog that i dont??!  Hardly a decent replacement for torres!!  Although Kuyt has stepped up in his absence.
      His goals show no skill atall- all he has to do is throw himself at the ball-  I would rather Babel or Pacheco upfront with Ngog coming on for the last 15/20 mins!!  Frustrating to watch him make silly mistakes over and over again!

Should have scored more goals lastnight  (i only saw the 2nd half but from what ive heard it was much the same as the first) but a win is a win, second leg should be easy enough- they couldnt keep posession to save their lives!  Not worried until the next round!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #154: Feb 19, 2010 12:33:41 pm
      Itll be Lille or Fenarbache. Currently stands at 2-1
      McEvoy_LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts |
      Reply #155: Feb 19, 2010 12:38:47 pm
      I took my girlfriend to the game because she's never been before, she enjoyed and was amazed at being in Anfield. Then she did it, she hit the nail on the head! She's never watched much footy but she said "why is that striker keep gettin the ball and turning away from goals, and run towards midfeild. He needs to run forward?"  I was like YEAH... She was talkin bout N'gog... He just can't cut it I'm afraid, but I like him... maybe he benefits from having a striker up there with him.

Boring game, Gerrard was a little off, Babel deserves a start he's losing the ball but trying hard when he's on.
      beerdog
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -3 
      Reply #156: Feb 19, 2010 12:47:31 pm
      Why do tools like you even bother posting when all your doing is trying to wind people up. If you had any knowledge of the game what so ever then you'd know that there is only a limit to what Rafa can do. He fielded our current strongest line up which had more than enough chances to score but didn't take them. It was the players that have to put the ball in the net not Rafa. Though this wasn't happening so he changed it about, took off probably the 2 worst players on the night and the 2 (attacking) players that came on combined and set up the goal.

Rafa cant win with idiots like you. He fields a weakened team and he gets slated, he fields the strongest line up he can he gets slated and to top it all off the subs he does that effectively won us the game and he still gets slated.

You could argue he even took a risk in taking off a £20Million midifielder for a youngster but it worked out as a great move which shows he has faith in Pacheco.

If we had won 10-0 but had started Lucas then I bet he would still get slated from certain people.

Either way he can't do right for doing wrong.

We won the game, kept a clean sheet, never looked troubled at the back and played our strongest line up as well as introduced a youngster looking break into the team. What more do you f**king want for christ sake.
      correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this his team? he constructed it, he bought the players, he determines the tactics. there are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
      geoff thev red
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #157: Feb 19, 2010 12:52:15 pm
      I don't believe liverpool are playing poor, this is the "standard" and merit  due to RB TACTICS, the body language of SG is one of many sign's that things on the field are not to the teams likening. it hurts me to say that the Manc;s go for the "jugular" unlike RB....hold: contain: break for a-goal and ect, I have been a red for over 50 years and I have never seen a red/team that passes the ball "ACROSS" the field as much as the present one. So much for possesion, this is no indication of the better team on the field. RB is sapping the players confidence.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #158: Feb 19, 2010 12:55:12 pm
      What time was it when you got in fella?

Managed to catch the 22:30 train. Flagged down a black cab outside the Cabbage. I got in at about half 12. Not too bad really.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #159: Feb 19, 2010 01:01:00 pm
      correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this his team? he constructed it, he bought the players, he determines the tactics. there are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

Refuse to see what. That he started his strongest team, which is dictated by injuries to Torres, Benni and Johnson and that he won the game with two crucial subs.
      Thats what I saw. That and everything bar the opposition team bus being parked infront of goal.

Indeed there are none so blind as those who refuse to see. :mad:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #160: Feb 19, 2010 01:10:13 pm
      Voted Babel simply because we were not going to score until he came on and caused more chaos in 1 minute then Riera did in an hour

Quick Reply