Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would you prefer in your starting XI (at their peak?)

Dietmar Hamann
      (52.6%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (47.4%)

Masch v Didi

Read 7018 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Masch v Didi
      Feb 20, 2010 06:42:17 pm
      With both men coming out in the press in the last 24 hours with views on the game and 2 clubs (us and city) I have them both stuck in me head. Now Im curious as to who you all think is superior?

Hamann to me is a legend a man who always done his job to almost perfection without much public praise, no need to mention Istanbul. To compliment Masch all I can say is we have not missed Didi because of him. Hes a warrior and if you started following Liverpool today you would think Masch was born in the city boundaries!

Id love to know who, if both were available at there best, would you rather have in your first 11?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Masch v Didi
      Reply #1: Feb 20, 2010 06:48:13 pm
      They're very different players IMO. Didi was much better at attacking and could score some real beauts and was a threat from set pieces where as Masch very rarely gets a shot on target and doesn't pose a threat from set pieces.

Though Masch IMO is a lot better at defending, partly because he has a lot more pace than Didi has ever had and just never stops running.

I cant really decide to be honest so would play them both, given the fact Aquilani gets played centre mid I would happily see him dropped for this pairing.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      Reply #2: Feb 20, 2010 06:50:55 pm
      They're very different players IMO. Didi was much better at attacking and could score some real beauts and was a threat from set pieces where as Masch very rarely gets a shot on target and doesn't pose a threat from set pieces.

Though Masch IMO is a lot better at defending, partly because he has a lot more pace than Didi has ever had and just never stops running.

I cant really decide to be honest so would play them both, given the fact Aquilani gets played centre mid I would happily see him dropped for this pairing.

Didi scored some beauts but Id never see him as attack minded. I always seen him as the masch of his era. Maybe its just how I viewed him and might be wrong in comparing the 2?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #3: Feb 20, 2010 06:53:48 pm
      I'd prefer Didi to be honest.

Still think Masch needs to work on his all round game before he can call himself the best in his position.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #4: Feb 20, 2010 06:57:59 pm
      Didi scored some beauts but Id never see him as attack minded. I always seen him as the masch of his era. Maybe its just how I viewed him and might be wrong in comparing the 2?

Did would always be lurking around the edge of the area waiting for the ball to fall to him and he could play the strikers through really well, that to me is pretty attack minded and we don't see much of this from Masch.

Didi was also better in the air, though this could be down to the difference in height.

One thing that is without doubt the same with them IMO, is that they have never been given the credit they really deserve.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #5: Feb 20, 2010 06:58:17 pm
      Didi was always consistant and never let us down.

Nobody covers as much ground as Masch does in a game. (or get booked as much  ;D)

Two fantastic players.

Have to give it to Didi for changing the course of the game in Istanbul when he came on.  
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #6: Feb 20, 2010 07:03:46 pm

This is actually a good point, i think this has actually swayed it for me to be honest, i would prefer Didi because Masch can't control his mouth a lot of the time, already been sent off for it.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #7: Feb 20, 2010 07:04:01 pm
      Masch everytime for me. Got a lot of respect for Didi and what he's done for the club, especially the Champions League Final. But Masch shades it for me, he is a pure warrior and an absolute f**king animal.I know Masch gets booked quite often, but that's because he's chasing everything down, all of the time and he's always fighting to the death for everything. For what he lacks against Didi with regards to technical ability he more than makes up for with pure tenacity. Players like Masch are like rocking horse sh*t in todays world of over pampered faggots that would be better suited in Olympic diving competitions. I wouldn't swap Masch for anyone, a player who'll give his all, run through ten brick walls for the cause, and still come out fighting on the other side. A true old skool warrior! >:D
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #8: Feb 20, 2010 07:07:04 pm
      Pole added.

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #9: Feb 20, 2010 07:09:59 pm
      Every pack needs a hunter, and Masch is most definitely our hunter. When he gets on the pitch he becomes possessed.

There's a picture in the Liverpool meets Photoshop thread with Masch holding Scholes and Andersons severed heads in either hand and i F***ing love it! If murder was legal, Masch would have no hesitation in recreating the scene in real life, of that i have no doubt.
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #10: Feb 20, 2010 07:12:04 pm
      There is no possible way I could pick between the 2, they both gave everything when they wear/wore the red shirt, and are two completely different players.

As is said previously, Didi was more attack minded (even if he does smoke, drink & use pot ;D) and Masch is a Red Human brick wall in defence, with the pace of Road Runner ;D

No choice for me, for the simple reason that I cant
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #11: Feb 20, 2010 07:12:13 pm
      Has to be Masch even though I loved Didi, in fairness to Didi he defo has more of a goal threat than Masch. But at 25 i think Masch can go onto be a Liverpool great(if he stays).

Will never forget Didi changing the game when he came on in that famous game where he shackled Kaka. Masch did it 2 years later but it doesn't get recognised as much because we lost to Milan 2-1 in a match we controlled.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #12: Feb 20, 2010 07:15:35 pm
      Without a doubt Didi for me. Masch is a great player but Didi always offered that attack threat as well as being just as good at keeping it tight at the back.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #13: Feb 20, 2010 07:18:57 pm
      What people maybe forgetting as well is Didi was i think 26 or 27 when we bought him off Newcastle, Masch is still only 25 and going to get better and better.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #14: Feb 20, 2010 07:22:36 pm
      Been thinking about this for the past half hour because I couldn't pick one of them but I think I'm going to have to say Masch.

Although Didi is a legend and I'll remember him for his efforts in the CL final Masch just edges it for me. He has a great work ethic and does 'back to basic' no-nonsense defending. He usually puts a lot of effort into his game- why he has seen a fair few cards, but with many years in his playing career still to go he can improve this.

I also think Masch would be better in this team than Didi as I think defence is better than Masch than the attack would be with Didi.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      Reply #15: Feb 20, 2010 07:44:27 pm
      Been thinking about this for the past half hour because I couldn't pick one of them but I think I'm going to have to say Masch.

Although Didi is a legend and I'll remember him for his efforts in the CL final Masch just edges it for me. He has a great work ethic and does 'back to basic' no-nonsense defending. He usually puts a lot of effort into his game- why he has seen a fair few cards, but with many years in his playing career still to go he can improve this.

I also think Masch would be better in this team than Didi as I think defence is better than Masch than the attack would be with Didi.

Havent voted meself cos I cant pick!! Its ok starting a topic but choosing an answer to it!!!
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      Reply #16: Feb 20, 2010 07:45:39 pm
      ^ Haha, yeah very different!

Good topic this though Brian, should be some good answers to this :)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5035 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #17: Feb 20, 2010 08:16:43 pm
      Didi great player loads of respect for him and will never forget his contribution in Istanbul, Especially for Vladi's goal, But Masch gets my vote cos he is currently in the top 3 defensive mid-fielders in the world and he is still with us, Simples.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #18: Feb 20, 2010 08:31:44 pm
      Very difficult to choose between the two. As much as I love Didi for what he did for this club during the early noughties, Mascherano is the best DM in the world, and for me that gives him my vote, as Didi realistically wasn't.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #19: Feb 20, 2010 08:35:26 pm
      Very difficult to choose between the two. As much as I love Didi for what he did for this club during the early noughties, Mascherano is the best DM in the world, and for me that gives him my vote, as Didi realistically wasn't.

I agree about it being very difficult but i don't agree with saying Masch is the best defensive mid in the world. He is certainly right up there and is a contender but i think Essien is a better DM than him.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #20: Feb 20, 2010 08:37:53 pm
      Wouldn't choose, Didi was good at he done for us and Masch is good at what he does for us, so no vote from me, sorry. :)
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      Reply #21: Feb 20, 2010 09:33:45 pm
      Shows how difficult it is to choose between them, 6 votes each at the moment
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #22: Feb 20, 2010 09:46:52 pm
      Mascherano just edges it for me.

As good as Hamann was, he was very much a consitent 'play it easy' player whereas Mascherano has a 'wow' factor when on top of his game.

If we're talking about defensive responsibilities then it's definitely got to be Javier.

Quick Reply