Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would you prefer in your starting XI (at their peak?)

Dietmar Hamann
      (52.6%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (47.4%)

Masch v Didi

Read 7017 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Masch v Didi
      Reply #23: Feb 20, 2010 09:54:44 pm
      No doubt both players are really good but I went for Didi.

First thing is, he changed the game when he came on against AC Milan back in 2005. Didi never possesed that much of a pace but he was able to read games. Also could score a cracker from a free kick.

I love Masch. It is indeed his defending abilities that stands out and his hunger and determination. Ask me again in a couple of years and I may choose Masch over Didi.

Don't get me wrong. Both players are amazing but they are great what they do so comparing them is a little difficult!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #24: Feb 20, 2010 10:35:11 pm
      Didi every day of the week.

He offered us much more in both halves of the field. He wasn't exactly prolific but he stilled chipped in with a few during his time here. His ability to keep the ball is better than Mascherano's which when sitting in front of the back four is key. You can't afford to give it away cheaply, something Masch still does although not as much as he used to.

I also think Didi's positional play is better than Masch's. Didi had no pace so for him to shut the opposition out meant he had to position himself right whereas Masch can be out of position but uses his engine to get across the field to win the ball. And again patrolling in front of the back four, positional play is key.

People always talk about the role Didi played during the European Cup final of 2005 but he did that on a regular basis. It's not like that was a one off, he made a living out of shutting the opposition down. He very rarely had a bad game, he was so consistent it was unreal.

So in the words of Rafa Fitzmaurice "follow the Kraut"
      keithlfc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts |
      Reply #25: Feb 20, 2010 11:08:19 pm
      Cant really call it yet Dont think masch has hit his peak (still in the top three in his position in the world imo) still got some improving to do think in a couple of years he will be recognised as a better player than Didi but will have to do something amazing in his time at liverpool to be rememberd more fondly than him after coming on in istanbul and sorting kaka out
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #26: Feb 20, 2010 11:54:09 pm
      Havent voted meself cos I cant pick!! Its ok starting a topic but choosing an answer to it!!!

Come along now Brian, you can't start a topic and then abstain from voting in the poll now, can you?  ;)
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #27: Feb 21, 2010 12:11:54 am
      Just because Masch doesn't chip in with goals, doesn't mean he hasn't offered us much in the attacking half. His passing abilities this year have been on display. He has played some absolutely fabulous balls, and he has also filled in at right back.

That being said, I can't pick between the two of them. Two absolute greats, and if Masch extends his stay here like I think he will, he will also be an Anfield legend.

Didi and Masch both are boss.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #28: Feb 21, 2010 12:39:14 am
      Masch for me.

Watching Istanbul yesterday showed how much we needed a Didi in the side to play it cool, break it down etc. but Masch has more about him than Didi does. Masch has the ability to grab every opposition player, shove them in his pocket, and jump up and down (what a sh*te analogy).

He has the approach to get into someone's head and mentally F**k them up.

Tough choice, but Masch in the end. I saw both play equally and think Masch is more valuable to the side.
      Tasonga
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 198 posts | -8 
      Reply #29: Feb 21, 2010 02:11:07 am
      Cant really call it yet Dont think masch has hit his peak (still in the top three in his position in the world imo) still got some improving to do think in a couple of years he will be recognised as a better player than Didi but will have to do something amazing in his time at liverpool to be rememberd more fondly than him after coming on in istanbul and sorting kaka out
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #30: Feb 21, 2010 04:23:24 am
      Didi only excelled towards the latter part of his Liverpool career anyone that votes Didi ahead of Masch are only blinded by that Champions League final.

There was a lot of questions after we signed Didi for £8.5 million at the time he took a good while to settle. Didi was a top class holding player that Bayern were happy to sell for £4.5 million at no time was Didi world class.

I'm genuinely shocked that anyone is voting Didi ahead of Masch who is genuinely world class.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #31: Feb 21, 2010 04:51:55 am
      Tough nut to crack that question.  They both are top class.  Maybe if Masch gets us the goals against city than.... ;)
      weshall_kop
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 300 posts | 13 
      Reply #32: Feb 21, 2010 06:24:47 am
      Masch is a great footballer but I would pick Didi in first for the fact he can hit some awesome goals from the edge of the box. I know Masch can too hit balls really hard, ;D. Hope he scores against city.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #33: Feb 21, 2010 08:06:39 am
      Didi only excelled towards the latter part of his Liverpool career anyone that votes Didi ahead of Masch are only blinded by that Champions League final.

There was a lot of questions after we signed Didi for £8.5 million at the time he took a good while to settle. Didi was a top class holding player that Bayern were happy to sell for £4.5 million at no time was Didi world class.

I'm genuinely shocked that anyone is voting Didi ahead of Masch who is genuinely world class.

We offered Alonso for 12m and no one wanted him but he is world class. But anyway.

I agree he took more time to settle. I'm not shocked because he was so vital for Gerrard in midfield, and thats why he's class.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #34: Feb 21, 2010 10:58:04 am
      Come along now Brian, you can't start a topic and then abstain from voting in the poll now, can you?  ;)

Ha ha bloody sure I can mate. Its a toughie
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #35: Feb 21, 2010 11:15:54 am

Completely disagree if I'm honest.

Didi was world class. Along with Sami Hyypia, his reading of the game was second to none. His positional play was outstanding and that lack of pace and engine was compensated with some fabulous positional play.

He kept the ball much better that Masch too. If you're sitting in front of the back four you need to keep the ball well and Didi did that. Masch doesn't do that. He lost the ball three times in dangerous positions against Unirea alone. Decent teams might have punished us for a couple of those.

Masch is a very good player don't get me wrong. I love his determination and his energy but he has a long way to becoming a complete defensive midfielder. At the moment, he can tackle and run all day long. Still not enough to be world class. If he continues to develop, improves his passing, improves his discipline and starts to offer us a bit more in the attacking half of the pitch then he'll overtake Didi.

But at the moment it's Didi for me, who along with Makelele was the greatest holding midfielder I have ever seen.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #36: Feb 21, 2010 01:20:43 pm
      Really tough, I can't vote.

Didi was always so relaxed about his pay, and you would never really think 'F**k he's really put in a shift today' but that was only because his positinal play was brilliant, so he was never having to sprint back to position. He would just keep things ticking over in midfield, and allow others to push on forward, and as has already been mentioned he chipped in with a few goals to.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #37: Feb 21, 2010 06:21:18 pm

But Hamann could play a forward pass!

And as for saying Hamann took time to settle in, might that have anything to do with the injury he picked up on the opening day of the 99/2000 season at Hillsborough, which put him out for a while.

It would be Didi for me, simply because for all his supposed lack of pace, he could still drive the ball forward and create goals, for example the goal he created for Owen at Cardiff in 2003 against the mancs.

And he had an awesome shot on him as well and he took a decent free-kick - Fulham away when they used to play at QPR!
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #38: Feb 21, 2010 07:15:51 pm
      Have to say Didi here. Always did his job and rarely had a bad game. Masch is good but I would prefer to have Didi.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #39: Feb 21, 2010 07:58:47 pm
      Ha ha bloody sure I can mate. Its a toughie

Monster Masch!!!!  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #40: Feb 22, 2010 09:26:07 am
      Masch for me.

Watching Istanbul yesterday showed how much we needed a Didi in the side to play it cool, break it down etc. but Masch has more about him than Didi does. Masch has the ability to grab every opposition player, shove them in his pocket, and jump up and down (what a sh*te analogy).

He has the approach to get into someone's head and mentally f**k them up.

Tough choice, but Masch in the end. I saw both play equally and think Masch is more valuable to the side.

My sentiments exactly.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #41: Feb 22, 2010 09:39:13 am
      has mascherano reached his peak as yet?   
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #42: Feb 22, 2010 10:21:30 am
      has mascherano reached his peak as yet?   
      Fair point.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #43: Feb 22, 2010 11:00:12 am
      No and that is why it has to be Masch every time, they are comparing Hamann at his peak to Masch now. Masch is only going to get better and better.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #44: Feb 22, 2010 07:08:39 pm
      25 all at the moment, going to be a close run thing this.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #45: Feb 22, 2010 07:58:44 pm
      25 all at the moment, going to be a close run thing this.

Ive yet to vote  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Quick Reply