Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Daniel Agger
      (18.9%)
      Fernando Torres
      (58.8%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (3.4%)
      Maxi Rodriguez
      (6.1%)
      Glen Johnson
      (10.8%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (0%)
      Ryan Babel
      (2%)

Liverpool 3-0 Sunderland: In game and Post Match Thread

Read 34170 times
      Tasonga
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 198 posts | -8 
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 Sunderland: In game and Post Match Thread
      Reply #460: Mar 29, 2010 01:13:47 am
      Ratings:

Pepe:  7, nothing much to do but wonderful save at the end.

Insua: 7, hardly tested

Carra: 7.5. as solid As ever.

Agger: 9, man of the match supported the attack exceptionally well.

Johnson: 7.5, some mesmerizing runs he attempted succesfully.

Masch:  7, not much to do. Some nice long range efforts were attempted and would have been nice to see him score.

Gerrard: 7, did well in centre mid but nothing magical from our magician.

Babel: 7, improvement and really pleased with his attitude.

Maxi: 8, underated, very quick thinking, link up play superb.

Torres: 9, now I understand why so many have turned gay for him.

Kuyt: 6, the lesser said abou his performance the better.
      sergioh
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 123 posts |
      Reply #461: Mar 29, 2010 01:28:29 am
      Played beautiful football for most of the game. Great game from everyone. Happy to see El Zhar get a little bit of experience
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #462: Mar 29, 2010 02:57:57 am
      The Australian guy on foxsports news (similar to sky sports news in UK) said something very interesting about this game. Look at this video roughly 1.45 minutes in, it will show an ad first.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/video/0,,Barclays%20Premier%20League_29432,00.html

If anyone can't be bothered watching the guy says something like "Liverpool fans will hope Benitez notices the coincidence that in only the second time in the league since september that Liverpool have scored 3 goals, and lucas has been left out of both" - sorry for the poor grammar, I couldn't think of a better way to phrase it
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #463: Mar 29, 2010 03:12:08 am
      I am in Aus mate I really take no notice of what those guys at fox sports say because 99% of them have never played "soccer" or follow it closely to know the rules even. The number of broadcasting mistakes they make are ridicolous in fact Melanie Mcloughlin comes across as the most educated and knowledgable on the subject of football.

We did score 3 against Lille though in Europe with Lucas in the side.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #464: Mar 29, 2010 04:09:47 am
      I downloaded the highlights from this morning and i haven't let myself watch anything other than the Torres goal. I just keep watching and repeating. What an effort.

Thought today was a prime example of where we went wrong this season. At times we were playing a 1-2-7 with Carra sitting back, Agger floating in to midfield along side Masch and everyone else upfield in space looking to create some havoc. It was brilliant to watch.

Really happy with the Reds today.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #465: Mar 29, 2010 04:26:15 am
      Best performance of the season for me. Could have had 10, should have had 6.

The pace of the passing was so much better, loads of one touch stuff, really sharp with movement. There were no bad performances today but very pleased with Maxi, I thought he was very sharp first half, Johnson looked to have got a bit of confidence back and despite the obvious knockers that will come, the presence of Gerrard breaking from midfield was a major factor. It made the whole tempo of our game so much quicker and we looked like a proper Liverpool team.

Playing Babel gives us more attacking options and whilst he wasn't brilliant today he was good enough to keep the shirt.

Agger aside from his finishing was imperious though and was my MOTM. Please stay fit Danny.

For once as well, our set pieces looked a threat !

Keep them going forward Rafa whoever we play and wherever we play, we look a better side for it.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #466: Mar 29, 2010 05:08:54 am
      Just saw highlights finally.

Torres.

*Jaw drops*

F**k i love that man.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #467: Mar 29, 2010 05:15:17 am
      Just saw highlights finally.

Torres.

*Jaw drops*

F**k I love that man.

Me too! Had to solve some problems during the game but I watched the highlights and man, WHAT A GOAL. From what I was told on msn by a few friends, we played very well too. I may download the game to watch, it'd be nice to see the mighty reds play some nice football for a change.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #468: Mar 29, 2010 06:46:36 am
      I've been thinking about it, when Lucas plays our midfield is stiff and we cannot launch quick counter attacks and our pace of the game generally slows down. Today with Gerrard back in the centre his passing was crisp, one touch movement, quick and positive play by our captain.

And maybe that might be the reason on why we haven't played well this season, because our midfield hasn't had the capability to ping balls forward and start a new wave of attacks quickly. I thought there was a massive difference in terms of dominance in the midfield when Gerrard played beside Mascherano today.

Anyway, what a fantastic performance from all the lads, I thought Maxi played outstanding, Torres should have scored more (although I am not complaining :D) and Gerrard was superb. Credit to Agger and Babel for their performances put in as well.

6 more games like this and we'll be in the CL.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #469: Mar 29, 2010 07:26:28 am
      The one touch football between Gerrard, Maxi, Torres and even Kuyt at times was just sublime. Thought Stevie looked strong and was constantly getting on the ball. Really hope Rafa sticks with this because its the best we have played for a long time and all the players looked confident on the ball, although i have a nagging feeling that Licas will be back beside Masch for the Benfica match.

As for Torres goal, i was right behind it and had a great view, has to be goal of the season!!!!

Hitting good form at just the right time, lets hope we can keep it going.
      yozz1982
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts |
      • http://kitster29.deviantart.com/
      Reply #470: Mar 29, 2010 07:35:55 am
      Youve got a head like a beach ball

Chant of the season that  ;D

Was laughing my head off absolute classic

Good performance well done Red men
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #471: Mar 29, 2010 08:19:06 am
      awesome, awesome, awesome.

why is stevie not on motm options? he played really well.

still, torres...how sexy is he?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6727 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #472: Mar 29, 2010 08:51:19 am
      Fan-F***ing-tastic first half and then 20 minutes of the 2nd.

Wish we had played like that all season.

Torres with 2 remarkable goals, the man is pure genius. Still think he should have had 6 but let's not get too greedy.

Felt we should have been up by about 8 at half time, did Sunderland actually play, they were horseshit and Bent looked fat as F**k.

I loved the result as I got the Prediction correct but if I'm being honest, the last 15 minutes left a sour taste in my mouth. As soon as the subs were made, we started going backwards and sideways and I know it was to keep the ball and run down the clock but twice it nearly cost us and F**k it's ugly to watch. Compare that to the first 70 odd minutes of pure brilliant football that I was so proud to watch.

Come on Rafa unleash the shackles for the remainder of the season and I can see us walloping most if not all the teams we have to play. Sure would give us a big fat  ;D on our faces. Too many times we've been sad this year and I for one have had enough. I want to feel the way I did in those first 70 odd minutes.

Well done lads.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #473: Mar 29, 2010 09:36:39 am
      I've been thinking about it, when Lucas plays our midfield is stiff and we cannot launch quick counter attacks and our pace of the game generally slows down. Today with Gerrard back in the centre his passing was crisp, one touch movement, quick and positive play by our captain.

One thing that highlighted that for me ROF, I think it was Cattermole right in Gerrards face when Gerrard received the ball right in the center of midfield, Now if that had been Lucas the ball would have went straight back to Carra or Agger what did Gerrard do, he got his head up and played a sublime forward ball to Torres even though I think it was Cattermole was all over him like a bad rash.

Watched the game again on LFCTV again last night and I said right after the match how Gerrard was not in the man of the match options was a disgrace and after watching it again I stand by that, our Captain kept the game flowing at a good pace, his set piece delivery was amazing and make no mistakes it was Gerrard who orchestrated the football we played, he was the pied piper and he had the rest of the lads dancing to his tune.

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #474: Mar 29, 2010 10:19:20 am
      One thing that highlighted that for me ROF, I think it was Cattermole right in Gerrards face when Gerrard received the ball right in the center of midfield, Now if that had been Lucas the ball would have went straight back to Carra or Agger what did Gerrard do, he got his head up and played a sublime forward ball to Torres even though I think it was Cattermole was all over him like a bad rash.

Watched the game again on LFCTV again last night and I said right after the match how Gerrard was not in the man of the match options was a disgrace and after watching it again I stand by that, our Captain kept the game flowing at a good pace, his set piece delivery was amazing and make no mistakes it was Gerrard who orchestrated the football we played, he was the pied piper and he had the rest of the lads dancing to his tune.

couldn't agree more, perfect display of an accomplished, attacking midfielder setting the pace of the game and launching our attacks with intelligent, crisp passing. great deliveries for set pieces. our captain hitting form in crucial stage.

it may yet to be too little too late, but it brings a smile to my face and for the first time in ages (bar p'mouth game), it was a joy watching us.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #475: Mar 29, 2010 11:01:21 am
      sh*t long ball for 90 mins, no chances created, sideways passing, defence can't header a ball, Gerrard is hibernating once again behind the striker, Torres is getting no service, Lucas ..........

Thats what I would normally say but bloody heck! That was IMO the best performance of the season, definatly the best first half. We created so many CLEAR CUT chances, the only thing that niggles me is that Torres didn't get at least a hatrick. Was really hoping to see Aquilani start as well, but with both Maxi and Babel on I guess that was asking for too much. Great game and Extremely enjoyable to watch. Thank you Rafa, thank you Torres.
      predSJUUUUK
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts |
      Reply #476: Mar 29, 2010 12:08:42 pm
      Sh*t long ball for 90 mins, no chances created, sideways passing, defence can't header a ball, Gerrard is hibernating once again behind the striker, Torres is getting no service, Lucas ..........

Thats what I would normally say but bloody heck! That was IMO the best performance of the season, definatly the best first half. We created so many CLEAR CUT chances, the only thing that niggles me is that Torres didn't get at least a hatrick. Was really hoping to see Aquilani start as well, but with both Maxi and Babel on I guess that was asking for too much. Great game and Extremely enjoyable to watch. Thank you Rafa, thank you Torres.

Pretty much sums it up! Great performance and some great goals from Torres, keep um' coming lad! :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #477: Mar 29, 2010 02:16:19 pm

I wasn't at the game yesterday but watched it in the Cabbage. So I couldn't really get an impression of how players were playing off the ball. But I too thought Gerrard's play was inspiring to the rest of the team! Without a doubt! And it was a huge improvement on the way his body language was compared to when we played the mancs.

Thought Kuyt whilst being a bit of a weak link in our attack, done better away from that right side. I said before the game the only way I'd play Kuyt these days is to linger around the box and try get the scrappy goals. Obviously he didn't score but I think maybe the team benefited from having a more direct threat down the right.

I'm gonna give Pepe a shout as well. He went for large periods of the game as a spectator, but he was called into action in the latter stages of the game by a low driven shot and he was down to it like a cat! Player of the season for me.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #478: Mar 29, 2010 02:17:33 pm
      I wasn't at the game yesterday but watched it in the Cabbage. So I couldn't really get an impression of how players were playing off the ball. But I too thought Gerrard's play was inspiring to the rest of the team! Without a doubt! And it was a huge improvement on the way his body language was compared to when we played the mancs.

Thought Kuyt whilst being a bit of a weak link in our attack, done better away from that right side. I said before the game the only way I'd play Kuyt these days is to linger around the box and try get the scrappy goals. Obviously he didn't score but I think maybe the team benefited from having a more direct threat down the right.

I'm gonna give Pepe a shout as well. He went for large periods of the game as a spectator, but he was called into action in the latter stages of the game by a low driven shot and he was down to it like a cat! Player of the season for me.

No way he was losing that clean sheet. Still level on the top for the golden glove?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #479: Mar 29, 2010 02:47:52 pm
      No way he was losing that clean sheet. Still level on the top for the golden glove?

Think so mate, yeah.

Shout out to me main man Glen Johnno as well. Thought he looked a whole lot improved yesterday compared to the manc game.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #480: Mar 29, 2010 03:01:10 pm
      Think so mate, yeah.

Shout out to me main man Glen Johnno as well. Thought he looked a whole lot improved yesterday compared to the manc game.

I think that can be said about our defense in General mate, Insua looked tidy in his delivery and link up play in attack as did Johnson, Agger looked very impressive going forward shame he never got on the  score sheet he deserved it for effort, Carra looked a rock and even had one or two sublime cross field passes and Pepe was outstanding when called up on.

But in a defensive sense it was a walk in the park for our back 4 yesterday as we played most of the game in Sunderlands half and as the old saying goes "attack is your best form of defense"
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #481: Mar 29, 2010 03:03:50 pm
      I know that by page 20- i am just repeating what everyone else has been saying- but what a game!!

The atmosphere was decent for this one- although where i was in the main stand was abit quiet- i was singing anyway!
      I am in love with our number 9!!  What a player- does it all on his own!
      Was good to see Babel start- would have been nice to see Aquliani start- but im not complaining!
      Why havent we been playing like this all season?? We wouldnt be fighting for 4th if we had!
      Also Very pleasing on the eye- lovely passing- lovely little back-flicks- completely confused sunderlands defence!

Please carry on playing like this lads- we love it!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #482: Mar 29, 2010 03:06:33 pm

I am in love with our number 9!! 

Your not the only one I want to bum him and I'm hetro sexual :D

Quick Reply