Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Daniel Agger
      (18.9%)
      Fernando Torres
      (58.8%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (3.4%)
      Maxi Rodriguez
      (6.1%)
      Glen Johnson
      (10.8%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (0%)
      Ryan Babel
      (2%)

Liverpool 3-0 Sunderland: In game and Post Match Thread

Read 34510 times
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      • Edinburgh to Liverpool 260miles 4 90mins worth it
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 Sunderland: In game and Post Match Thread
      Reply #414: Mar 28, 2010 06:41:35 pm
      Steve Bruce did with his Beach Ball Head
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #415: Mar 28, 2010 06:43:54 pm
      Did anyone see the sunderland fan blowing up the beach ball?
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      • Edinburgh to Liverpool 260miles 4 90mins worth it
      Reply #416: Mar 28, 2010 06:44:22 pm
      Yes typical
      pragnorok
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Reply #417: Mar 28, 2010 06:49:09 pm
      sh*te performance, should have been 14-0 ;D, seriously though just breath taking at times in this game totally breathtaking, also luved the chant in the kop about steve bruces head being a beach ball funny as fcuk.
      Hagbard
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      • Che was a red
      Reply #418: Mar 28, 2010 06:57:10 pm
      The first half performance was easily the best I've seen Liverpool play for a long time.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 996 posts | 69 
      Reply #419: Mar 28, 2010 06:59:15 pm
      Fantastic and just shows that stevie should play in midfield as I have said all season. Bit late now, we could have been challenging for the title.
      Anyhow great performance well done lads.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #420: Mar 28, 2010 06:59:23 pm
      Only listened on R5L so didn't vote MOTM. Just delighted , not only with the win, but the performance. Been saying all season, we need that attacking midfielder beside Masch. The two or three times Rafa has used that, we have looked good but today, Sunderland were completely embarrassed and we could and should have scored at least 8. Can't wait fror motd and hope they show a good potion of the game, otherwise i'll be looking for a strem to watch the full match later on. Can't wait to hear what excuses bruce comes up with. Who'll he blame for this one then ? Someone attached to L.F.C. no doubt. F***ing match ball head. Well done the Red Men, need to keep this formation and attitude through to the end of the season now.           
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #421: Mar 28, 2010 06:59:39 pm
      Well played today especially the first half, pace was there today if the was only one fault when is someone other than Torres going to put there chance away
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #422: Mar 28, 2010 07:01:23 pm
      Essy win today, Sunderland were pure sh*te.

Bit disappointed with some people around me in 306 today, lads were starting anti-yank chants, trying to get people to join in only for others further back singing Liverpool to try and drown it out.

At 3-0 up we should of been ripping the piss out of our owners, yet apart from those that really give a sh*t, no-one else cares.

"What do we want.............."

"APATHY" it seems to me!
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #423: Mar 28, 2010 07:01:23 pm
      first 45 we produced some of the best attacking play I have seen by us in many a year.
      indeed over the whole 90 we played with more ability and flair going forward than we have
      done over the entire season. play like that for the rest of the season and 4th won't be a problem.
      One problem 4th position in not in our hands we can play fantastic for the rest of the season and still not get 4th
      Hagbard
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      • Che was a red
      Reply #424: Mar 28, 2010 07:06:49 pm
      I think Sunderland looked poor because we stopped them playing (by not letting them have the ball  ;D). They've had some decent results recently.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #425: Mar 28, 2010 07:10:13 pm
      Decent result, with a good performace do go with it. Looked similar to the way we played against Pompey. I think we should of scored atleast another 4 goals than we did.

Torres got my motm. Dagger done well too. And I thought Insua actually done pretty good today :D Never thought I would be saying that ...

And, I think a lot of the footage from this game will be on Soccer Am  :f_tongueincheek: - Some pure class play.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #426: Mar 28, 2010 07:16:11 pm
      I think Sunderland looked poor because we stopped them playing (by not letting them have the ball  ;D). They've had some decent results recently.

I really enjoyed seeing Steve Bruce's, at one stage, was like head on hands, finding ideas how to get back into the game. Welldone to Rafa for winning his second game againsts Steve Bruce.
      SL
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts |
      • The King is back!!
      Reply #427: Mar 28, 2010 07:17:28 pm
      very comfortable win ,could of been lot more goals all the team played well

steve bruce chants were classic  :laugh:

MOM Masch
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #428: Mar 28, 2010 07:30:12 pm
      Dont know if it has been mentioned or not but Nando won the Barclay's Man of the Match.

What Nando had to say:

Fernando Torres claims Liverpool are now a different side from the one seen earlier in the season - and he believes fourth spot is still well within reach after an impressive 3-0 win over Sunderland.

The striker took his tally to seven goals in four matches with a superb brace against Steve Bruce's men, with Glen Johnson adding the other.

Torres reflected: "The main thing is I got my goals because the team is playing really well, giving me good assists. The second goal by Glen was amazing. We'll keep enjoying and keep scoring - that's my job.

"We have been much better in this last part of the season and now we have six games to play. We have to keep playing like this and make sure we're as strong away as we are at home.

"From the first minute you could see the team was different from the first part of the season."

The result leaves Liverpool four points behind Tottenham with six matches remaining, though Spurs have a game in hand.

Torres added: "We have confidence now, we know we can beat anyone and we know we have to win all our games from now until the end.

"After that we just have to wait for the other results, but we're going the right way."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/torres-it-s-different-now

Rafa after the game:

Rafael Benitez hailed the influence of Maxi Rodriguez after the winger enjoyed one of his finest displays for Liverpool in Sunday's 3-0 rout of Sunderland.

Fernando Torres's brace and Glen Johnson's third of the season saw the Reds move to within four points of fourth-placed Spurs, but it was the performance of the club's no.17 that caught the boss' eye.

"He is a very good signing for the team," he told his post-match press conference.

"He has game intelligence and can keep the ball. He can play in three different positions and works very hard. He is very positive in his approach. I am really pleased with him and he has been good for the team."

He added: "Maxi can be a big difference. If you get clever movement from him, it can help us."

Torres started the ball rolling with a sublime curler on three minutes before notching his 20th of the season to seal victory on the hour mark.

Benitez admits the opener was one of El Nino's finest goals for the Reds and has no doubt over the importance of the no.9 to his side's top four hopes.

"The first was one of his best, but I also liked the second one," he said. "He was calm and sometimes it is not just about a good strike, but also about doing the right thing at the right moment. Both goals were good.

"If he can stay fit, he is very important. It is important to have different options when you play two games a week.  You can then change the tactics and the system, but also keep the tempo.

"It is important to have players like Fernando, Gerrard and Maxi available."

He added: "You always try to do your best and you always try to play better.

"Today we started with a really high tempo and passed the ball well. We scored an early goal which can always help.  We continued pushing and created a lot of chances.

"I was trying to protect players after the third goal because we know we have to play against Benfica and early against Birmingham, so if we can manage and avoid injuries and problems, you can carry on playing the same way with the same tactics.

"At this moment the main thing for us is to play well. If we do this, we will be closer to the top four and hopefully we will be closer to the final of the Europa league. That is the best way for us to move forward."

On Liverpool's chances of overhauling Spurs and finishing in the Champions League places, Benitez said: "We know we have to keep going. It will be difficult but we have to try. The players have confidence and if we play at this level we can win more games, that's for sure."

Asked about his plans in the transfer market this summer, he added: "We are working behind the scenes, trying to improve things for the future.  But now we just need to concentrate on football if we can."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/rafa-reflects-on-3-0-win
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #429: Mar 28, 2010 07:42:07 pm
      best performance this year sunderland played like the reds did for about 10 games. torres is red hot if he never got injured he would be scoring leader in epl. played like a team today
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #430: Mar 28, 2010 07:52:52 pm
      At this rate torres could get 30 goals in the league. That would be some achievement
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #431: Mar 28, 2010 07:58:00 pm
      Best performance since the first couple of games in the season keep it up lads .
      MsGerrard
      Reply #432: Mar 28, 2010 08:08:14 pm
      Made up with today's performance, I thought they all looked up for the game and showed some real commitment, it was a pleasure to watch, and how good is Fernando Torres? the man's an absolute goal machine, so proud to have him in our team.

Special mention to Daniel Agger as well today, he was desperate to get a goal, spent more time in Sunderland's penalty area than his own  :laugh: Gerrard was brilliant today, his passing and set pieces and corners were sublime today.

All in all a very pleasing performance and sets us up nicely for the trip to Benfica.

Well done lads.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #433: Mar 28, 2010 08:20:46 pm
      The Result made me want to Boogie so I am . Enjoy :)

Neo Cortex - Elements (club mix)

ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #434: Mar 28, 2010 08:22:14 pm
      just woke up to the news that your lot won 3 - 0 with torres gettin a brace . get in there you redmen . 4th spot is yours  :D
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #435: Mar 28, 2010 08:44:49 pm
      Where the feck have Liverpool been all season? That's how it's supposed to be done. Great result. Steve Bruce has a big fat head. It looked like it was going to drop off at one stage.

Agger got my man of the match. Wasn't sure if he was playing up front or in defence. He was like a man possessed today, always driving forward. Torres was different class today too.

Hope this isn't too little too late. Fingers crossed we can push onwards. I think Ive heard myself say that a few times this season. Well in.   
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #436: Mar 28, 2010 08:45:54 pm
      We played immense, everyone was working hard for each other, always looking positive and dangerous going forward, closing down and looking solid at the back, even insua ;D

A message to all the fans who went to the game today: The atmosphere was quiet as hell towards the end, we as fans all have a part to play too in showing encouragment and driving the team on to success, particularly after a great performance like today. Lets not have too many quiet games!

Quick Reply