Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Hicks & Gillett

Read 226871 times
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Re: Hicks & Gillett
      Reply #23: Jul 23, 2007 07:19:40 pm
      JD, it seems to have surfaced in the King of newspapers that is 'The Fort Worth weekly' (think Wirral Globe or Crosby Herald and i think you will be close) I agree it makes for an interesting read but surely most of it comes down to the fact that the rangers are "perpetually last" and maybe Hicks sees them as a business deal that just isn't working so why chuck more money at it? With us he knows he is getting winners with a proven track record and a world wide fan base that will open up endless marketing and business opportunities something the rangers can only dream about, the piece is interesting in that it shows how ruthless Hicks can be in the business world so I hope to god we never end up in the relegation zone! ;D

Fort Worth Weekly
      Link
      tex27
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #24: Jul 23, 2007 09:39:25 pm
      GlenBuck I fear you miss the point, which is what Liverpool fans need to be aware of--  It isnt that the Texas Rangers are a bad business deal for Mr. Hicks-- it is that they are a good business deal and that the team's success on the baseball diamond has very little to no impact on his profits-- so he chooses to run the team for PROFIT NOT VICTORIES.  Hicks wins, the Rangers lose games, the fans lose. 

Our only choice as Rangers fans is to accept losing and pay $6 USD for bad beer along the way, or give up.   And since we have a franchise system instead of a club system-- there arent so many alternatives if you give up on your team.  Trading your passion to a League 1 team with the chance for promotion is a whole different emotional experience than trying to be a fan of a minor league baseball team that will always be minor league and controlled by the big club.

Keep your eyes open, that is my advice.   I have lived through Tom Hicks ruining my favorite team. I hope you do not have to do the same.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #25: Jul 23, 2007 10:26:47 pm
      Good to have a fellow member of the Hicks franchise, coming over here to give us your opinions on one of our new owners.

All us Liverpool fans are more than aware that it was Gillett who was the driving force at Anfield and Hicks was brought in as an extra money man.  I don't know much about the Texas Rangers so apologies, but at Liverpool we have been one of the top teams, and for long periods - the top team, in our sport in Europe for nearly half a century.  We have always had substantial income - big gates etc etc and we have pretty much always been able to outspend most of our rivals.   

The jury's still out on the two new men on player transfers.

Yes, they have smashed our transfer record as some people point to - my view is that we have also taken a lot of transfer money in.

But we struggle with our 45,000 seater stadium, and the Americans are keen on introducing a much larger stadium and they will be hoping to get their pay day through that.

The worrying thing is that they could have Liverpool in mid-table mediocrity and because of the nature of our club - they would still get plenty of bums on seats...

Thanks for joining the forum and posting your views - do you have a similar fan based website for the Rangers?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #26: Jul 23, 2007 10:28:11 pm
      Thanks for sharing with us Tex27. It's good to hear your opinion. I know basically nothing about baseball, but I'm guessing you's were a successful team when Hicks got involved from your own experience?
      In your opinion, how involved has he been in regards to the "play" side of things and not "business" side?
      tex27
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #27: Jul 23, 2007 11:19:41 pm
      Below is the note I attached to the "Newbie' board when I posted the article there for some background.  And I am not aware of the Texas Rangers fans having any sort of forum of this detail  and quality. One is more likley to find the page of an individual fan of a given baseball team or a blog.

"This is from the Fort Worth Weekly in Fort Worth, Texas, where Tom Hicks' Texas Rangers are based.

When Tom Hicks acquired the Rangers they were a playoff team, he said all the right things, and went on a spending spree.

His signings were either stupid and wasteful, or just ridiculously over-market.

The team has never made the playoffs since Tom Hicks took control.

I hope history does not repeat itself for you Liverpool fans-- but remember this article in 2-3 years."

To answer redkenny's question on involvement, it certainly seems Hicks has been deeply involved in every major business decision including the larger free agent player signings.  He took a very active role in the largest ones (including the negotiating of the largest contract in baseball history to Alex Rodriguez-- a negotiation in which he was bidding against himself and decided to trump himself to the tune of $20 or $30mm, which then limited the team's options going forward) .

There has been no indication (that I have ever seen)  that he has tried to meddle in on field decisions.  And keep in mind that a baseball team has 25 players and of those generally only 4 or 5 were large free agent signings. So most of the team was put together by the baseball staff. 

Here is another interesting story that I havent seen really referenced since the G-H takeover at Liverpool-- Hicks' former firm (the private equity firm Hicks Muse, and I know how popular private equity firms are in the UK these days!)  at one point were large investors in the Brazilian football league and I believe lost a bundle on it.  There is a book called "How Football explains the world" by Franklin Foer that discusses this.  I think the general take away from that situation was that they did not understand the culture (football culture and business culture) they were buying into and were undone in the end by insider dealings and corruption-- 

KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #28: Jul 24, 2007 12:22:33 am
      I'm not 100% on this but are Hicks and Gillet owners of 2 NHL teams (National Hockey league ) Dallas Stars and Montreal Canadians,both teams make it to play offs regular and are successful.
      tex27
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #29: Jul 24, 2007 03:19:14 am
      I cannot speak to Gillet but as to Hicks, his stewardship of the Dallas Stars was initially very successful but has settled into an extended period of mediocrity.

Realize that 16 of 30 teams make the NHL playoffs.

The Stars have not won a first round playoff series for several years.

So his 2 teams are 1) in the bottom 1/3 of one league (Rangers) and 2) in the middle of the pack in the other

I would be willing to wager that mid table results are not going to make Liverpool fans happy
      star70
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #30: Jul 24, 2007 06:10:47 am
      Dallas Stars fan in Texas here.  What tex27 says is true.  Mediocrity rules the day for both the Texas Rangers and the Dallas Stars.

The unfortunate thing for Liverpool fans is that Hicks learned here that winning is not important; marketing and profits are what counts. The Stars are mediocre and have signed no one of consequence during this free agency period. 

Here is a nice quote on sports ownership from Mr. Hicks from the Dallas Business Journal:

Sports team ownership is no longer just a rich man's hobby, sports magnate Thomas Hicks said Friday.

The chairman and CEO of Hicks Holdings LLC, whose sports-related holdings include the Texas Rangers Baseball Club, the Dallas Stars Hockey Club and 50 percent interests in American Airlines Center and Liverpool FC, made his comments to Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce members.

"All of these teams have become businesses in the past 20 years," Hicks said. " ... This business has to do with fan affinity and brand devotion. It doesn't necessarily have to do with winning."

You can read the rest here: http://dallas.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2007/05/07/daily47.html
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #31: Jul 24, 2007 08:57:18 am
      "All of these teams have become businesses in the past 20 years," Hicks said. " ... This business has to do with fan affinity and brand devotion. It doesn't necessarily have to do with winning."

Surely that statement is a contradiction in terms? how can you possibly have a growing affinity with the fans if you are perennial losers? and how is it possible to build up any sort of "brand devotion" if the product is a faulty one? The only way Mr Hicks is going to make serious money out of LFC is by giving us the tools to succeed. I understand the point our Texan friends are making about Mr Hicks involvement in U.S. sports but i hope you realise that this time Mr Hicks is in joint ownership with Mr Gillet and together they have control of a "franchise" that has a world wide appeal not just a state appeal as in the Rangers, i mean how many rangers fans are there from outside the state of Texas?

Has he told Mr Moores a pack of lies and once things quieten down will he tighten the screw and constrain us financially thus ensuring he gets his profit no matter what? If he does then he is quite frankly the worst business man in the history of commerce because he surely must see that in the sporting world of investment you cannot compare Baseball/Hockey with football and that they are two entirely different business propositions and as such they have to be run with a different agenda in mind as Peter Ridsdale found out at Leeds and Ken Bates is still finding out almost yearly.
      Many thanks for the info from the stateside lads but could you answer me this, do you consider Mr Hicks to be a good business man? because if you do the only way he will achieve his goal in this particular business is to continue to make sure his 'assets' stay on the winning trail.
      tex27
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #32: Jul 24, 2007 10:05:31 am
      If a good businessman is one who makes a lot of money for himself regardless of how any co investors do- then yes he has proven to be a good businessman

If a good businessman is one who earns a high rate of return on his investments in absolute terms- then the record appears to be mixed. 

My advice is simply watch what he does, not what he says. 

My understanding is that youir team is in a very strong position currently, with a very strong player roster.  My concern for you would be that, over a several year period, as he (and Gillet of course) milk the incredible Liverpool FC brand globally for all it is worth, and as they secure some sort of stadium and/or land related windfall, that they let the roster weaken, either by not signing new talent-- or simply signing the wrong talent-- and you do not end up with the on field successes you are used to. 

Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #33: Jul 24, 2007 10:16:37 am
      If a good businessman is one who makes a lot of money for himself regardless of how any co investors do- then yes he has proven to be a good businessman

If a good businessman is one who earns a high rate of return on his investments in absolute terms- then the record appears to be mixed. 

My advice is simply watch what he does, not what he says. 

My understanding is that youir team is in a very strong position currently, with a very strong player roster.  My concern for you would be that, over a several year period, as he (and Gillet of course) milk the incredible Liverpool FC brand globally for all it is worth, and as they secure some sort of stadium and/or land related windfall, that they let the roster weaken, either by not signing new talent-- or simply signing the wrong talent-- and you do not end up with the on field successes you are used to. 

Many thanks for your answer mate it's greatly appreciated.

Something thats always interested me about U.S. sports fans is the way all the major sports have a good fan base, do Americans in general follow all the sports Basketball,Baseball,Ice Hockey and US football or do you have one or two you love to follow and the others are just a passing interest?
      In my case i love LFC and will watch most footy matches but i am not as passionate about any other sport so i just wondered how do you split your loyalties with all those choices?
      tex27
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #34: Jul 24, 2007 02:15:01 pm
      I think it varies, but keep in mind our seasons are short-- the most passionate fans are probably american football fans-- but their season is only 4 months, plus   one month of playoffs for the better teams.  So we have to be interested in at least 2 sports or we would go crazy with boredom.

The NFL, MLB and NBA are really the big 3; the NHL is struggling to keep its fan base
      « Last Edit: Jul 24, 2007 02:26:25 pm by tex27 »
      bob_blah
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 46 posts |
      Reply #35: Jul 24, 2007 03:54:25 pm
      Thanks for the info tex27. As someone who follows NFL and MLB, its always interesting to hear another fans perspective on issues such as this.

I was very glad when Hicks and Gillet came along - finally someone who could bankroll our ambitions. But I'm not liking the pattern I'm seeing.

The signing of Alex Rodriguez for the Rangers (for circa US$250million!) was hailed by Hicks as him committing to bringing the 'World Series' to Texas. Although Rodriguez played brilliantly, Hicks hadn't invested anything else in the rest of the team and in a sport that plays 162 games a season, you kind-of need a bit of depth in the team. Hence - the Rangers have been at the bottom of the league since Hicks took over. Is he doing the same again with LFC - splurging and saying all the right things a the beginning, only to seek a longer-term return on his investment and not pony up any more cash?

As JD has pointed out previously, the signing of Torres, Babel, Benayoun etc was in part financed by the sale of deadwood. This is just good business. We may very well have signed Torres, but would Rafa have had the cash to get Babel and Benayoun if he hadn't got as much as he did for Cisse and Bellamy? I don't know.

The other thing that makes me worry - Hicks has made a lot of money in property. I would want to know how much the new stadium development influenced his decision to buy in. Add an extra 20,000 seats and that investment in Torres amortisises pretty quickly. And the redvelopment of the area around Anfield, and around the new stadium must be pretty attractive to a man whose cash comes from the land. Particularly when the EU is stumping up a big wad of cash.

I hope I'm just being overly cautious, but its been too long since we've had that title. I'll be happy if over the next 5 years, every player that Rafa wants, Rafa gets. They can wear all the scarves they like - a supporter it does not make them.
      star70
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #36: Jul 24, 2007 07:05:07 pm
      As fans of the Stars and Rangers, we have learned how to tell when Tom Hicks is lying: check to see if his lips are moving.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #37: Aug 15, 2007 06:52:44 pm
      I heard on Radio City that George Gillett has bought some Nascar racing team? Anybody know anything about this?

Also see that the pair of them have been to both of our first fixtures - fair enough Villa - and I imagine the Toulouse one was a bit of a jolly - but nice to see them showing their commitment (compared to the personal attendance record of the little leprachaun at the Salford Reds).
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #38: Aug 16, 2007 12:25:37 am
      I heard on Radio City that George Gillett has bought some Nascar racing team? Anybody know anything about this?

From Nascar.com

Evernham completes partnership with Gillett
      Team to be known as Gillett Evernham Motorsports

STATESVILLE, N.C. -- Ray Evernham and George N. Gillett Jr. have announced the creation of Gillett Evernham Motorsports (GEM), a partnership combining Evernham Motorsports and the Gillett family where Evernham will remain a substantial owner and retain the title of chief executive officer.

The strength of Evernham's championship on-track performance and Gillett's off-track sports business experience creates a high-performance, high-energy platform to establish GEM's value and appeal to fans and sponsors, on and off the track.

Recognizing that the rate of change off-track has exceeded the change on-track in the past few years, Evernham forged a relationship with Gillett, whose diverse holdings offer unique business-to-business opportunities, sponsorship activation and fulfillment that will revolutionize what sponsors can expect from a NASCAR team.

Gillett is the owner of the NHL's Montreal Canadiens and a co-owner of the Liverpool Football Club in the English Premier League. Gillett's other business interests include the Bell Centre, home of the Montreal Canadiens and Gillett Entertainment Group (GEG), producers of some 700 sporting and entertainment events in numerous venues throughout Canada and the United States.

GEM will benefit from Gillett's existing network of sports and entertainment properties, resorts, auto dealerships and auto franchises offering unique access to sponsors and partners and a powerful global connection that no other team can offer.

"It's very exciting for me to deliver to sponsors and fans the opportunity to align with a worldwide sports leader," Evernham said. "With the business acumen of the Gillett family and its sports brands, we've greatly expanded our reach.

"This will allow me to focus on our racing operations and team performance, while the Gillett family will focus on our business operations. It certainly allows us to capitalize on our strengths and position GEM for long-term success both on and off the track."

"Racing is in my blood," said Gillett, chairman of Booth Creek Management Corporation (BCMC). "It's not often you get to partner with a leader with Ray's reputation, talent and championship legacy."

Evernham, whom motorsports media voted The Greatest Crew Chief of All Time in 2006, spearheaded Dodge's re-entry into NASCAR in 2001 and earned a pole position in Dodge's debut at the Daytona 500 with driver Bill Elliott. Prior to founding Evernham Motorsports, Evernham served as Jeff Gordon's crew chief, earning three Cup championships and 47 wins in just 216 starts.

The transaction was initiated and negotiated by Matthew Doherty at McLaren Capital Partners in Los Angeles. Wachovia Securities advised BCMC.

Gillett's business interests include: Booth Creek Resort Properties, LLC, the owner of luxury ski and golf resorts in North America; Grand Targhee Ski Resort in Wyoming; WorldCast Holdings, a major fishing guide company in Wyoming, Idaho and Montana. Booth Creek's automotive platform includes Summit Automotive Partners, LLC and Vista Automotive Group, owners of some 14 dealerships and 27 franchises in the United States. Other BCMC holdings are Coleman Natural Foods and Wheat Montana Farms & Bakery.

Additional announcements regarding the GEM partnership will be forthcoming
      NYRed
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #39: Aug 16, 2007 05:16:55 pm
      I'm a big baseball and Hockey fan. Those sports are different. Liverpool have nothing to worry about. Hicks' lack of success with the Rangers has less to do with not spending money than it does with spending money the wrong way. They have been known to spend, but not the right way. As far as the Stars go, they have won a Stanley Cup. I believe it was 1997 and they went to the finals in 1999 so it isn't like they haven't accomplished anything there. Gilette owns the Montreal Canadians, the most storied franchise in hockey history. He could probably do a better job there, but as long as both owners leave the decisons regarding Liverpool to Rafa the team will be fine.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #40: Aug 18, 2007 02:50:11 pm
      An article/interview from today's Mail with the two Chairmen

Gillett and Hicks buy into Anfield romance
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=476114&in_page_id=1779&ct=5

The conversation moves from English football to American politics and the reputation Tom Hicks has for putting presidents in the White House.

'I'm working hard for him,' Hicks says of Rudy Giuliani, the former mayor of New York and a Republican candidate who can count the part-owner of Liverpool as a member of his political action committee. 'But I never worked hard for him,' he then says of the current occupant of the Oval Office. 'I just made him rich.'

Hicks smiles and the man sitting beside him in a rather more modest office at Anfield lets out a huge guffaw. George W Bush? He owes Hicks big time, George Gillett acknowledges.

Bush got rich when Hicks bought the Texas Rangers baseball team from a consortium that, in 1998, was headed by the 43rd President of the United States. Not only that, he provided Bush with major financial support in his climb up the political ladder.

The subject is raised only because of the influence they might enjoy now they have seats at club football's top table.

Hicks and Gillett, as the American owners of the five-times European champions, have friends in seriously high places, are worth billions, have a vast wealth of experience in owning major sports franchises and also have a background in television and broadcasting. In short, they are the kind of men who might make the game's administrators nervous when it comes to talk of breakaway leagues and independent television deals.

TV money, and what they consider a potential area of huge financial growth, is partly what attracted them to Liverpool in the first place.

'When we played the Champions League Final in Athens I think they estimated the global television audience at around 400million,' says Hicks. 'The growth of international television around the sport, particularly around the Premier League and what here in England is the most important league in the world, is exciting. If you are in the business like we have been, you can see that very quickly. The Premier League has the best growth opportunities in global terms in sport.'

'Content is huge,' adds Gillett. 'The delivery system is becoming less important. Now it's content.'

But do they pursue those growth opportunities as a collective? Do they see the Premier League clubs continuing to act as one? 'That's an interesting question and one we are sorting out,' says Gillett.

'We are discovering the fan base of Liverpool is much more global than we realised. Probably the second biggest in the world.

'We are not sure if the Premiership plays collectively that well. On the other hand, the four top clubs definitely do. We are trying to sort that out. I don't know that we know the answer yet. But we see China, India, some of the emerging nations that are doing well economically, as amazing opportunities.'

Aware that it might all sound too business-like and a little unromantic for the owners of a football club that is so much about romance, Gillett appears keen to present their more sensitive side.

The side that wants to stand with the fans on the Kop; that invited supporters' groups to have their say before agreeing on a design for Liverpool's futuristic new stadium.

'I think I speak for Tom as well when I say there are two parts to each of us,' he says. 'The head can tell you the logical parts, but the heart is really why we are here. Because no matter how good the numbers are, this is a long way from home. And if we didn't feel it in the heart we wouldn't be here. The interest in sport has to be in the heart.

'This is a decent business but not a great business. If we simply focused on the business there are other opportunities that we both have that, frankly, would be better. So if it didn't incorporate the heart in our emotion, I don't think we'd do it.'

Gillett is charm personified. Friendly, warm, genuine. When he first appeared in the reception area of Anfield's office complex, he apologised for being late and then disappeared down the corridor to 'find Tom'. And when he then returned with Tom, he joined his business partner in jokingly trying to intimidate their interviewer.

'Is this you?' asks Hicks as he turns to the back pages of a copy of the Daily Mail. 'Did you write the headline as well? What does it say here, “Bonehead!”?

Fortunately not, even if 'Bonehead' does accompany a report on Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo and the red card he received at Portsmouth. A report Hicks tries to read surreptitiously whenever Gillett is in full flow.

HICKS says exactly what he thinks in his throaty Texan drawl, as he demonstrates when asked for his opinion on David Beckham's chances of putting 'soccer' on the U.S. map.

But Gillett, who at 68 is seven years older than Hicks, is the more garrulous one. The one who likes to mingle. The one who cannot relate to the reclusive nature of the Glazer family at Old Trafford. 'Don't even go there,' he says when I dare to compare them.

When Gillett read about a father of four who complained he could not afford to take his family to see Gillett's Montreal Canadiens ice hockey team, he invited them to watch a game in his private box. When he bought the Vail ski resort in Colorado he would greet skiers as they came off the chairlifts.

'I'm not very tall but I'm pretty strong and about 10 years ago I was on the mountain when I saw this great big guy who had simply frozen on the slopes,' says Gillett with a chuckle.

'He was petrified. He just could not get down. So I used my radio to call the rescue guys to see if they could get a snowmobile to get him off the mountain. But they were all busy. So I looked at this guy, he must have weighed 230lb, and I told him to climb on to my back with his skis either side of me and I skied him off the mountain. I took him directly to ski school and bought him a five-day ski school pass and then I walked away.

'What I didn't realise was this guy was the editor of People Magazine and he asked the guys in ski school who had rescued him. Two weeks later and there's a big story about it in the magazine.'

'That's George,' says Hicks, shaking his head. 'He was with me in Dallas not so long ago and I wanted to talk about Liverpool, but he just kept disappearing to talk to fans.'

Liverpool's fans have impressed them enormously. 'I got in trouble for saying they were the best in the world,' says Hicks. 'Our baseball fans back home read it and started asking if I thought they were better than them. All I say now is they're very different. Very special.'

Gillett said last season's Champions League semi-final against Chelsea was 'like watching a game on steroids', so loud were the supporters. 'I'd never seen anything like it,' he says. 'The noise and the energy. Just amazing.'

It was the sound of the Kop that inspired the design for the stunning new stadium that will open in 2010 with a capacity of 61,000. It will then be extended to seat more than 70,000.

'The architects came to the Barcelona match and they got it right away,' says Hicks. 'Because that night the fans were so loud and they knew they had to keep the Kop. They said “we get it”. The Kop is the symphony stage and it needs to play to the rest of the hall.'

Gillett adds: 'The stadium was a critical element in our decision to come here. It's a necessity.

'We are in a sport without a salary cap. And if you are going to remain competitive, and Liverpool's fans deserve to have a club that remains competitive, we have to have a larger stadium. We don't have the economics of London so we have to have size.'

As both men agree, a new, improved Kop needs something in return. A winning team. 'We want what the fans want,' says Gillett.

'I can't go into any of the three stadiums I own without thinking how much people are paying to be there,' adds Hicks. 'We want to give them value for money. We want to win the Premiership. 'Before we arrived we were a team that could do well in Europe but not in the Premiership. We now have the depth to do that. We have brought in the players Rafa (Benitez) identified.'

They might have only been here since March, and they might have appointed Gillett's son Foster to work alongside chief executive Rick Parry in running the club day to day, but they talk with great knowledge. Hicks gets excited about 'Torres and Babel'. Gillett mentions talent in the academy.

'That's the unwritten story,' says Gillett. 'We have a number of brilliant young players who are going to be the future of this club.

'Rafa believes in youth and we share that philosophy. That's why Tom and I are so comfortable with him. He's a very responsible man. He's not a slash and burner. He said we needed four or five new players to be competitive and we went out and got them.'

'A great example of what not to do is the New York Yankees,' adds Hicks. 'A guy (owner George Steinbrenner) tried to win in the short term by spending all this money on ageing stars. And they didn't win. They used to win when they had young, up-and-coming stars. You have to have a balance.'

While Hicks says they have no intention of spending as extravagantly as Roman Abramovich, Gillett reveals a close bond with the side they meet at Anfield tomorrow.

'I went to the Community Shield in 2006,' says Gillett.

'But the Liverpool people were so nervous about me being spotted with them, I ended up getting tickets off Peter Kenyon (the Chelsea chief executive) and sitting in the Chelsea end. Foster and I nearly got beaten up when we cheered a Liverpool goal!'

So Kenyon knew of their interest in buying Liverpool? 'Oh yeah,' says Gillett. 'We know Peter.'

Gillett has only ever met Abramovich once, and notes how he 'never eats or drinks anything' when he visits rival clubs, but he says he found the Russian charming.

'The American invasion of the Premiership is a misnomer,' says Gillett. 'Seven foreign groups have come into the Premiership and only three of them are American, and all three have been involved in sports before.

'It's been presented as some kind of capitalist invasion, but I don't think that is an accurate representation at all. We are different to the Glazers and the Glazers are different to the Lerners, but we love sports.'

Most Americans do but will the Americans ever take to soccer?

'It's getting better,' says Hicks. 'But I don't think Beckham will make … he's doing what they hoped he would do. Getting a lot of newspaper attention.'

Gillett adds: 'There's a lot of competition already established.' 'And,' says Hicks, 'the new TV contracts will provide a lot of Premier League games in the U.S, across three channels.'

Sounds like it would be easier to get Beckham in the White House.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John
      • Started Topic

• 438 posts |
      Reply #41: Dec 18, 2007 11:01:07 am
      Is anyone else getting a bad feeling about these guys????

Firstly they promissed Rafa that he can have anyone he wants, yet they don't want to discuss Mascherano.  Who is already playing for us so wouldn't be a gamble.

Secondly there representive Foster Gillett, doesn't seem to be in the country much

Thirdly, Rumours of rift between the old gits

Fourthly??, They lied about doing a Glaziers, because they don't have the Backing

And Now they tell us that we can't have the stadium we promissed because the money is spiralling, however there teams in America have this ellaborate stadiums.

Personally, I think that there heart is not in it.  I was worried before!!!
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #42: Dec 18, 2007 12:52:08 pm
      GlenBuck I fear you miss the point, which is what Liverpool fans need to be aware of--  It isnt that the Texas Rangers are a bad business deal for Mr. Hicks-- it is that they are a good business deal and that the team's success on the baseball diamond has very little to no impact on his profits-- so he chooses to run the team for PROFIT NOT VICTORIES.  Hicks wins, the Rangers lose games, the fans lose. 

Our only choice as Rangers fans is to accept losing and pay $6 USD for bad beer along the way, or give up.   And since we have a franchise system instead of a club system-- there arent so many alternatives if you give up on your team.  Trading your passion to a League 1 team with the chance for promotion is a whole different emotional experience than trying to be a fan of a minor league baseball team that will always be minor league and controlled by the big club.

Keep your eyes open, that is my advice.   I have lived through Tom Hicks ruining my favorite team. I hope you do not have to do the same.

Tex mate, thanks for the wake up call. All of us fans will be up in arms.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #43: Dec 18, 2007 03:25:58 pm
      I think it varies, but keep in mind our seasons are short-- the most passionate fans are probably american football fans-- but their season is only 4 months, plus   one month of playoffs for the better teams.  So we have to be interested in at least 2 sports or we would go crazy with boredom.

The NFL, MLB and NBA are really the big 3; the NHL is struggling to keep its fan base

I'm a hell of a lot more wary of this Hicks character than I am about Gillette... thanks for bringing this franchise merchant to LFC Mr Parry, I hope you spend your club-sale brokering bonu$ and fee wisely.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #44: Dec 19, 2007 07:27:30 am
       According to the Echo we are not going to get the ground we all were led to believe we were getting.It appears the cost is about a 150 million than Tom George and Rick 1st thought it was going to cost.Whoever came up with these estimates should not be allowed anywhere near any future costing of the next design ,I cant believe that they could be so far out B4 construction has even started.It makes one wander if Tom and George have pulled off the biggest con trick of the last 100 years in getting our club.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #45: Dec 19, 2007 08:54:53 am
      Lets not kid ourselves the owners of our club are in this for money, plain and simple, no sentiment!  Its like any other business interest they are involved in, it eventually all boils down to the bottom line.  They will have a time based business model for LFC and I'd guess that involves building the stadium, and winning some major trophies, at that point maybe six or seven years down the line, I would imagine that if the right offer came moseying by then they would down us no question.
      The big conundrum is to which level are they prepared to speculate to accumulate? The investment forcast (transfers etc.) will also be expressed in their business model, no doubt as a percentage of some figure, and the probelms then arise when Rafa demands more than they planned!
      I have a problem with Moores though, if he had had the clubs genuine interest at heart he'd have stuck to his original hand shake and completed the DIC deal and not clasped his grubby little paws around his extra £8m quid!!!  Because make no mistakes we would be in a completely different position should we have got in bed with the Arabs rather than these two cowboys!!
      To conclude, I make a prediction now we will rue the day we ever heard their names mentioned.  MARK MY WORDS
      « Last Edit: Dec 19, 2007 08:57:15 am by neilh2105 »

Quick Reply