Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Torres blames sale of Alonso for poor season

Read 10188 times
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Re: Torres blames sale of Alonso for poor season
      Reply #69: Apr 07, 2010 05:39:25 pm
      I dont like that article- doesnt sound like Nando atall!!

As for Arbeloa- i didnt rate him too much anyway,
      Hyypia was great for the team- but we have Greek who does the same job,
      And i dont think our sh*te season is down to Alonso- Next season, when Aquliani comes out of his shell (and rafa removes the cotton wool!) i believe we will no longer miss alonso.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #70: Apr 07, 2010 05:50:05 pm
      I think you under estimate Xabi's abilities, any team would miss one of the best midfielders in the world especially when he has been replaced with a crock and the master of sideways/backwards passing.
      Gerrards passing is better and faster than Alonso's. Also Gerrard plays those defence breaking balls like he did against Birmingham. We do not have to miss Alonso we just choose to, its silly. We've got the players the manager just has to use them in the right way
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #71: Apr 07, 2010 05:51:50 pm
      I dont like that article- doesnt sound like Nando atall!!

As for Arbeloa- I didnt rate him too much anyway,
      Hyypia was great for the team- but we have Greek who does the same job,
      And I dont think our sh*te season is down to Alonso- Next season, when Aquliani comes out of his shell (and rafa removes the cotton wool!) I believe we will no longer miss alonso.

I agree with what missy torres is saying. if we manage to hold onto the spine of our team

reina

jc          agger

aquilani           mascha

stevie

torres

that is a class spine of a team, i don't care what anyone says, but that's better than manure and arsenal's spine. chavs have expensive class players but ours is awesome.

we just need another class striker, attacking winger and a lb who can f***in defend. i don't see how we can't achieve that by offloading some dead wood to raise cash. if the two jonnies actually put SOME cash in, we could even think about buying some class players. doesn't have to be all doom n gloom.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,614 posts | 3846 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #72: Apr 07, 2010 05:52:21 pm
      Gerrards passing is better and faster than Alonso's. Also Gerrard plays those defence breaking balls like he did against Birmingham. We do not have to miss Alonso we just choose to, its silly. We've got the players the manager just has to use them in the right way
      Gerrards strength is in the hole making runs and linking up with Torres. Aquilani will be able to do that and have the pin point passes also. Gerrards passing isn't of Alonso or Aquilani's calibre

I've been watching last season's matches over again recently, and I've been watching how much Xabi created from midfield - constantly spraying passes left and right. The occasional through-ball too.

But from what I've seen of Aquilani, he's quicker on and off the ball, more creative (looks for more through-balls) and gets in the box more. I know which player I'd rather have, when fit of course.

Couldn't agree more. If the new pyshio team gets Aquilani right we will all hail Rafa a genius.
      Aquilani not only can put a quality pass through but he can make the runs into the box too....So IF he can get sorted over the summer we will have someone even better than Alonso because Aquilani can pass and move. Quicker on the ball too which would stop the likes of Chelski being able to shut us down like they did last year.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #73: Apr 07, 2010 05:56:03 pm
      thanku!!

Selling some players would be good- although i dont think we need to buy too many- Just a left back, and a decet replacement for Torres.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #74: Apr 07, 2010 06:00:48 pm
      I really don't think it was Alonso's fault . Well maybe at the begging f the season I guess the lads were a bit down with him leaving but I don't think that that's problem right now . If it was because of him we would've been in deeper sh*t this season the way you guys are saying this its like we would've been relegated without Alonso but we're not . I agree we're in a pretty sh*t position for Liverpool FC but that's not due to one player leaving . I agree at time we miss his creativity but this is because other players are NOT performing at the level they should . We have so many reason to blame our piss poor form bad defending from our DEFENCE or our finishing off chances being more clinical ....this is due to the ABSENCE of Torres ...which is not Alonso's fault . It is the fact that the players we're not performing at their level best ,. Do you think Stevie's bad for was due to Alonso going ? And also the lack of investment by those two bloody cowboys is also a reason .We can't sit here and blame Alonso ,  he's gone now . I mean look at the performance against Sunderland , Again the Mancs at home and even Portsmouth for that matter , was Alonso there ? No . Or even last season the 4-1 win at old Trafford was Alonso in midfield ? No . I'm not  trying to praise Lucas or anything , I'm not bringing him into the picture , it's just that the way you guys describe this situation it would've been like those victories wouldn't even of been possible without Alonso , but we did it . And we can do that again . CONSISTENCY is the problem , players not being FIT is the problem , not having Sami ( oh how I miss you Big Finn !) is a BIG problem with that blip . But now that can also be fixed , Agger is becoming fitter now and is playing more games ! We do miss Alonso but not to the extent that it has made our season sh*t .

Like redkeny said some quotes could have been made up , even though the guardian is a credible source , . But if these words are Nando , I'm sorry as much as I love him and want to agree with him , I'll have to say no , it's not because of Alonso we've been inconsistent .
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #75: Apr 07, 2010 06:13:33 pm
      Gerrards strength is in the hole making runs and linking up with Torres. Aquilani will be able to do that and have the pin point passes also. Gerrards passing isn't of Alonso or Aquilani's calibre

......Are you being serious?? Gerrards best position isn't in that bloody hole. He just gets lost there. It worked last season but this season nearly every team is playing a man behind the striker so everyone knows and since Gerrard's movement sucks he never gets picked up or is constantly marked. Aquilani's passing has been terrible this season. Alonso only played long balls and balls to the side, I can't remember him playing a defence breaking through ball, and if he did it they were few and far between. Gerrard's range of passing is greater than Alonso's and his link up play is better which makes him more dangerous breaking from midfield. We drew 11 games last season, if Alonso was so important to us he would have been able to break the defence.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #76: Apr 07, 2010 06:42:43 pm
      think all the crictism from torres is a red flag he will walk at the end of the serason. he is very unhappy a change of scenery is what he is looking at
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #77: Apr 07, 2010 07:10:51 pm
      The absolutely sickening thing about all this... it was there for the taking this season. A little investment and the fat yank bas**rds could be wallowing in all the money a title win brings in. The mancs, chavskis and the arse have all been sh*te. And City, Spurs and Villa only appear to have had a good season mainly because we've been so sh*te.

But this is nothing new. It's nothing we haven't known since Hicks views on Weetabix, on field success and brand loyalty became public. And until the pair of shyster bas**rds are gone, nothing's going to change.

So, as much as I don't mind Nando or any other player having a go at the owners, they really need to do it in a better way.

What is the point in making the 4 or 5 players statement? What's the point in making the players we have feel inadequate because of ones that have left?

So, as I say, nothing against Nando having a pop at the owners. In fact, there's other high profile players who should be doing exactly the same. But low morale and confidence doesn't need knocking down anymore. Bit of a rick there in my opinion.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #78: Apr 07, 2010 07:19:35 pm
      The absolutely sickening thing about all this... it was there for the taking this season. A little investment and the fat yank bas**rds could be wallowing in all the money a title win brings in. The mancs, chavskis and the arse have all been sh*te. And City, Spurs and Villa only appear to have had a good season mainly because we've been so sh*te.

But this is nothing new. It's nothing we haven't known since Hicks views on Weetabix, on field success and brand loyalty became public. And until the pair of shyster bas**rds are gone, nothing's going to change.

Got to agree with that.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #79: Apr 07, 2010 07:29:13 pm
      ......Are you being serious?? Gerrards best position isn't in that bloody hole. He just gets lost there. It worked last season but this season nearly every team is playing a man behind the striker so everyone knows and since Gerrard's movement sucks he never gets picked up or is constantly marked. Aquilani's passing has been terrible this season. Alonso only played long balls and balls to the side, I can't remember him playing a defence breaking through ball, and if he did it they were few and far between. Gerrard's range of passing is greater than Alonso's and his link up play is better which makes him more dangerous breaking from midfield. We drew 11 games last season, if Alonso was so important to us he would have been able to break the defence.

That is the biggest load of rambling bollocks I have ever heard, congratulations mate, go sit on the naughty step with your dunces hat.

I've seen some sh*te typed on here but that is fooking Hilarious, why do you think Gerrard in the hole worked so well last season ?, because he had a midfielder behind him who could pick out a pass and release him at the earliest the opportunity. As for your comments about Xabi, thats why Madrid paid 30 million for him, now I suggest you go watch a few youtube vidoes of Alonso and educate yourself theres a good lad.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #80: Apr 07, 2010 07:57:38 pm
      I agree with what Torres has said but what i find quite funny is that there has always been two camps. The one that thinks Alonso leaving has been one of the main reasons for this terrible season or theres the one that arent having any of that.

But now Torres has came out and more or less said the same thing, that losing Alonso has been a major factor the two camps are now the ones that agree and now the other camp just dont believe Torres would make such a statement.

I dont understand just because a player we all idolise speaks out and states the obvious that we automatically think the entire story is fabricated.

He has highlighted the problem at maybe the wrong time and yes there are many more issues other than these players leaving but he is obviously well and truly pissed off.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #81: Apr 07, 2010 08:14:14 pm
      No doubt Arbeloa is a more stable right back, no doubt Hyypia would of led us through our defensive mess this season and no doubt Alonso adds what only 2 or 3 others in the world can.

We've missed them big time. Torres speaks like a fan of the club and once again I agree with him.
      I think Arbeola wanted to move though didn't he? Big Sami was past his best, it was his time to move on, He was the best centre back we've ever had in my opinion ( along with Hansen ) so replacing him was impossible. I honestly think Rafa fu**ed up with Alonso though!!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #82: Apr 07, 2010 08:23:07 pm

I'm sorry but you couldn't be more wrong.

Alonso's passing range is far superior to Gerrard's. Alonso CONSTANTLY found Gerrard last season, which is why he is in such "bad" form this season. And he did play defence-splitting balls. Not as much as Aquilani, but he did.

Now, is there any coincidence that Gerrard plays better whenever Aquilani plays? Aquilani not only looks for Gerrard, but further ahead towards Torres aswell. He doesn't hit it out towards the flanks as much as Alonso would, but why would you need to when you can play a pass straight through the opposition's defence towards one of our danger men?
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #83: Apr 07, 2010 09:45:30 pm
      That is the biggest load of rambling bollocks I have ever heard, congratulations mate, go sit on the naughty step with your dunces hat.

I've seen some sh*te typed on here but that is fooking Hilarious, why do you think Gerrard in the hole worked so well last season ?, because he had a midfielder behind him who could pick out a pass and release him at the earliest the opportunity. As for your comments about Xabi, thats why Madrid paid 30 million for him, now I suggest you go watch a few youtube vidoes of Alonso and educate yourself theres a good lad.
      What happened at bolton last season? What happens Everytime a team has 1 player man marking Gerrard? He gets lost and he's ineffective. Last season teams weren't that aware of the single striker with a man in the "hole". This season nearly everyone is doing it and all teams work on defending it. And as for the 30 million that doesn't mean anything. Utd paid 30 mil for Berbatov who is nowhere near that worth. We paid 20 mil for keane who is no where near that worth. Gerrard plays more direct than Xabi and plays through balls much better. How exactly does Alonso have a bigger passing range? Gerrard knows how to play a long ball as good as anyone.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #84: Apr 07, 2010 09:47:02 pm
      What happened at bolton last season? What happens Everytime a team has 1 player man marking Gerrard? He gets lost and he's ineffective. Last season teams weren't that aware of the single striker with a man in the "hole". This season nearly everyone is doing it and all teams work on defending it. And as for the 30 million that doesn't mean anything. Utd paid 30 mil for Berbatov who is nowhere near that worth. We paid 20 mil for keane who is no where near that worth. Gerrard plays more direct than Xabi and plays through balls much better. How exactly does Alonso have a bigger passing range? Gerrard knows how to play a long ball as good as anyone.

He plays long balls, sure, but not as good, or as often, as Alonso does.

It's your opinion, but I'm pretty sure 90% will agree with RLB.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #85: Apr 08, 2010 01:38:43 am
      What good is it coming out with this on the eve of a big game?
      I've had this debate on here before, but sometimes I wish Rafa would tell Torres to 'know your role and shut your mouth!!'
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #86: Apr 08, 2010 02:05:19 am
      I think Arbeola wanted to move though didn't he? Big Sami was past his best, it was his time to move on, He was the best centre back we've ever had in my opinion ( along with Hansen ) so replacing him was impossible. I honestly think Rafa fu**ed up with Alonso though!!

Your right mate. It was out of our hands though with all three and it may have taken the manager by surprise. I would definitely of thought Hyypia would agree to a contract.

Alonso and Arbeloa were being courted by the biggest club in their homeland and a club they both wanted to play for.
      AngelicRayment
      • Banned

• 396 posts | -10 
      Reply #87: Apr 08, 2010 10:00:06 am
      Sami doesn't feel wanted or appreciated enough, surely he can understand he can not play 50+ games / year, but I believe Rafa should ahve done better with him, perhaps a better approach.

Alonso discussion has been done to death

Arbeloa Either we didn't squeeze enough from Real Madrid or we're paying way to much for a slight improvement.

This statements from Torres means more than just showing us what's happening, but this means he's already fed up. And I fear he won't be here for too long.

Quick Reply