Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Liverpool owners to hire Barclays Capital to find buyer for the Club

Read 16751 times
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Re: Liverpool owners to hire Barclays Capital to find buyer for the Club
      Reply #207: Apr 13, 2010 12:49:49 am
      Isn't that another Manc produced rag?

The Mirror is generally pro-Liverpool
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #208: Apr 13, 2010 01:11:09 am
      The Mirror is generally pro-Liverpool

Not as much as it loves being pro-manc!

Brian Reade is THE only reason it's pro-Liverpool!!
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #209: Apr 13, 2010 01:23:57 am
      Not as much as it loves being pro-manc!

Brian Reade is THE only reason it's pro-Liverpool!!
      Well in HR otherwise it's sh*te.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,345 posts | 1531 
      Reply #210: Apr 13, 2010 02:12:40 am
      It seems to me that talk of ÂŁ  600mill or even ÂŁ 500mill is just that, Talk. If the banks call in the loans then its ÂŁ237 mill. the size of the debt, plus any interest. The banks will just be gratefull to get their money back and won't show any compassion towards the yanks. Any one who can stump up that amount will be considered if the yanks don't have an alternative, and at the moment that looks unlikely.  Welcome back to the fold D.I.C.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #211: Apr 13, 2010 02:14:42 am
      The Daily Mirror thinks Liverpool fans are happy that Hicks and Gillett are valuing the club at 3x what they paid and aiming to make ÂŁ400M profit?

They crack me up.

Which 'journalist' wrote that article?  I want to go round and punch him in the face.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #212: Apr 13, 2010 02:18:43 am
      My journalism class absolutely preaches about making sure you can back up your points. Brought up the british sports media in class, and some examples - and my teacher just said "Well, sounds very unprofessional."

Sums it up. They are a bunch of F***ing idiots mostly, and thinking we are 'happy' is just F***ing unbelievable.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #213: Apr 13, 2010 02:21:06 am
      So it's ÂŁ400m then, as opposed to ÂŁ600m.

Much more reasonable. Can see buyers now.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #214: Apr 13, 2010 02:47:34 am
      Journalistic licence has been taken with that piece, by claiming fans, they're taking LFC Supporters Club's Richie Peddar's comments and using them as what all the fans think.

His comments were: "We have stood still for the past three years. We want the club sold and to someone who has got money. ÂŁ600 million is a lot of money, but the club has a lot of assets.

"There are people out there who have got that kind of money and we hope they are prepared to invest in Liverpool."

To be honest in the same piece I think Peter Hooton from SOS comments were more spot on: "I am cautiously optimistic but we have to remember this is the third group who have tried to sell Liverpool.

"We welcome any change and obviously we hope they do sell."
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #215: Apr 13, 2010 02:51:58 am
      Journalistic licence has been taken with that piece, by claiming fans, they're taking LFC Supporters Club's Richie Peddar's comments and using them as what all the fans think.

His comments were: "We have stood still for the past three years. We want the club sold and to someone who has got money. ÂŁ600 million is a lot of money, but the club has a lot of assets.

"There are people out there who have got that kind of money and we hope they are prepared to invest in Liverpool."

To be honest in the same piece I think Peter Hooton from SOS comments were more spot on: "I am cautiously optimistic but we have to remember this is the third group who have tried to sell Liverpool.

"We welcome any change and obviously we hope they do sell."

Yeah I read the same article, it's comforting that someone feels exactly as I do. It should be a step in the right direction, then again these are pr*cks who rip off anyone and everyone in the world.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6741 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #216: Apr 13, 2010 03:11:14 am
      I just read the last 8 pages and no where does it say what I wanted to hear. Those two Yanks have left the Club.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #217: Apr 13, 2010 03:16:53 am
      I just read the last 8 pages and no where does it say what I wanted to hear. Those two Yanks have left the Club.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Can only hope its soon mate, just hope.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #218: Apr 13, 2010 07:35:11 am
      Can only hope its soon mate, just hope.
      They're running scared now mate, the fact that they are apparently making concessions on the ridiculous value they put on the club indicates they are on the back foot-they know it and more importantly they know we all know.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #219: Apr 13, 2010 10:18:16 am
      They're running scared now mate, the fact that they are apparently making concessions on the ridiculous value they put on the club indicates they are on the back foot-they know it and more importantly they know we all know.

That's how I'm viewing it all mate.

Hopefully there will be something official this week but it just has smacks of Mike Ashley at Newcastle.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #220: Apr 13, 2010 10:35:18 am
      The Daily Mirror thinks Liverpool fans are happy that Hicks and Gillett are valuing the club at 3x what they paid and aiming to make ÂŁ400M profit?

They crack me up.

Which 'journalist' wrote that article?  I want to go round and punch him in the face.

Paul Byrne
      Is a Manchester-based news reporter
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/authors/paul-byrne/
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #221: Apr 13, 2010 10:47:15 am
      Got his head so far up his arse he can see the sunshine.
        [EDIT] Actually his arse has gone because it appears that LFC are going through a process that could see us rid of our American saboteurs while they have three times the debt and are shackled with their US wrecking team for the foreseeable future.
      « Last Edit: Apr 13, 2010 11:01:11 am by stuey »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #222: Apr 13, 2010 10:50:29 am
      'Paul Byrne'.

Is that your stage name Kenny? ;)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #223: Apr 13, 2010 10:53:28 am
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #224: Apr 13, 2010 11:11:05 am
      I actually liked the article in todays Mirror. (Irish one, but I doubt the sports pages are much different.)

From Brian Reade.

There is a scene in Fatal Attraction which makes a regular appearance in the nightmares of most Liverpudlians.

No matter how times Michael Douglas tries to stop deranged stalker Glenn Close from killing him and his family, he fails.

Just as he thinks he’s finally done the deed, after kicking, strangling, and drowning her, even as he stares into her dead eyes and a wave of relief floods through his body, her terrifying visage bursts back to life.

For Douglas and his family read Liverpool fans and their club. For Close read George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

Which is why, as the Americans nail on their best sincere face and summon up their best folksy charm, and tell the fans that this time, they really do have the interests of the club at heart and they are about to do the decent thing and never darken Anfield’s door again, it is taken with a container-load of salt.

Because we’ve seen it all before. For three years in fact. Scouring business pages when we should have been looking in the sports sections.

Their entire reign at Anfield has been based on deception. From the day they sweet-talked those amateurish buffoons David Moores and Rick Parry into giving them control of Britain’s most successful football institution on the cheap, they have deceived.

Saddling the club with a debt they vowed would never arrive, mugging every Kopite in the process and putting the club on course for three seasons of turmoil, skintness, warfare and depression.

From being a proud, dignified club which did things The Liverpool Way, it has become an undignified madhouse mired in an ugly internal civil war, the casualties of which eventually became the team itself, as witnessed by a woeful season which looks like ending their Champions League status.

From promising to build a new stadium to denying sounding out Jürgen Klinsmann as manager behind Benitez’s back, from promising they would be personally responsible for the club’s debts to claiming they were amicable partners when they loathed each other, these two have never been up-front and honest with the fans.

In one week alone last October Gillett told fans group Spirit of Shankly four statements which do not hold up to scrutiny.

* “The club’s debt situation is very sound.” It was £44.8million when they took over, it rose to £245m.

* “It wasn’t me who said we’d start building a new stadium in 60 days, it was Hicks.” It was him.

* “We’ve spent £128m on top of what’s come in over the past 18 months to buy players.” Rafa Benitez’s net spend over that period was £20m.

* “Liverpool is in an extraordinarily good financial position.” That’s why the RBS had told them to find £100 million new investment or the game was up.

Right down to the mouthing of You’ll Never Walk Alone with shiny new red scarves on, everything that’s left their mouths about Liverpool FC has seemed phoney.

Even the timing of this latest announcement shows how little they know or care about Liverpool. Who wants to be talking about banks and takeovers in a week when the only thoughts on fans’ minds are of the 96 they left behind at Hillsborough 21 years ago?

So why shouldn’t fans now wonder if this latest development is yet another ruse to distract attention while they shuffle the debts from one bank to another?

The fans see them as cowboys and don’t trust a word from their mouths. It’s why news that they will become sleeping partners at Anfield will leave most of them deeply cynical.

Because while their dollars are in the club, and they demand they walk away with an over-inflated profit, who can believe that they would sit meekly in the background while others cut the deals? Who can believe that they would willingly allow strangers to pull the strings on their latest leverage venture?

So long as they’re there they will be viewed as everything that is wrong with Liverpool and modern football. Like Glenn Close, fans will always fear Hicks and Gillett are out to destroy the thing they hold dearest.

It would be nice to think that Barclays Bank or Martin Broughton are about to do what Michael Douglas’ wife did and give them the bullet.

But Liverpudlians won’t believe it’s happened until all trace of their presence is wiped off the boardroom carpet.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Brian-Reade-comment-Are-the-Yanks-really-going-to-leave-Liverpool-or-is-this-just-another-big-lie-in-their-phoney-war-article390693.html
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #225: Apr 13, 2010 12:27:15 pm
      Read brian reades article this morning. Basically dont believe anything til those two are out and the boardroom redecorated
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #226: Apr 13, 2010 12:50:56 pm
      Read brian reades article this morning. Basically dont believe anything til those two are out and the boardroom redecorated
      Completely agree mate with the exception of the boardroom facelift I would be more inclined to fumigate the place! For me it seems the Americans are being overtaken by events and are being forced to react, if this impression is anywhere near the truth their days are numbered.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #227: Apr 13, 2010 01:12:56 pm
      The day these two are gone is the day i book a flight to liverpool for a weekend on the bushmills
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #228: Apr 13, 2010 01:15:18 pm

depressing and a reality check indeed :(

new owners and a new stadium is the only remedy. the y*nks have f*cked us and keep doing so. worst part is, we can't do anything about it.

this is so infuriating...allbeit unsurprising...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      * “The club’s debt situation is very sound.” It was £44.8million when they took over, it rose to £245m.

* “It wasn’t me who said we’d start building a new stadium in 60 days, it was Hicks.” It was him.

* “We’ve spent £128m on top of what’s come in over the past 18 months to buy players.” Rafa Benitez’s net spend over that period was £20m.

* “Liverpool is in an extraordinarily good financial position.” That’s why the RBS had told them to find £100 million new investment or the game was up.

Right down to the mouthing of You’ll Never Walk Alone with shiny new red scarves on, everything that’s left their mouths about Liverpool FC has seemed phoney
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i mean why would any respectable bank or potential new owners want to do any business with a so called 'business man' when he can stand in front of the media and lie through his teeth. it's not even subtle, cunning lies, it's shallow, ignorant and obviously flawed lies that my 3 year old nephew can see through.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #229: Apr 13, 2010 01:15:50 pm
      Completely agree mate with the exception of the boardroom facelift I would be more inclined to fumigate the place! For me it seems the Americans are being overtaken by events and are being forced to react, if this impression is anywhere near the truth their days are numbered.

Seems that way Stuey - nowhere else to run.  The timeframe still worries me though we need them out asap not by December when the rumoured loan extention is or we could end up out of everything again.

Quick Reply