Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

New signings = New First XI

Read 14826 times
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Re: New signings = New First XI
      Reply #92: Sep 05, 2013 07:00:13 pm
      Yeah ridiculous to say Gerrard needs to be phased out, i've heard that for a few months now and i just don't get it. The fact that he has been, for me, the single greatest thing to happen to Liverpool has nothing to do with it, his performances speak for themselves.
      In regards to the squad i think BR was very clever, i thought we might need another attacking player but scoring goals last season was not much of a problem, conceding poor goals was the problem and he is strengthened the defense very well. With Suarez back i have all confidence that we can make top 4!
      YNWA
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #93: Sep 05, 2013 07:32:13 pm
      Absolutely shocking people saying Gerrard needs to leave the team, not only is he a key member of the side and doing a great job in his deeper role, it's Steven Gerrard for f**k sake. To say that about the captain of our club after everything he's done is f**king terrible support. Besides the fact that IMO he's still the best midfielder in England and I genuinely wouldn't swap him for any player.
      he is still the best passer of a ball and some of his tackling against UTD was as good as you will see from any footballer
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #94: Sep 05, 2013 07:39:10 pm
      I'd stick Sakho at left back for the time being and have Kolo and Agger in the centre.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #95: Sep 06, 2013 01:19:21 am
      I agree. I mentioned in another thread that I could see him playing the Lucas role as he's looked a bit rash and shakey this year.

This isn't necessarily the team I'd pick but I think it has the best combination of players for when everyone's fit and Suarez is back (hopefully)

Not sure on the 3-5-2 formation but it doesn't look a bad team in my eyes. Looks balanced with safety at the back and danger going forward:

Migs

Toure   Agger   Sakho

Johnson                   Enrique

Gerrard   Hendo

Coutinho

Suarez   Sturridge

What do others think?

Of course, I haven't seen Sakho play yet for us, but if he is anything what I saw at PSG and what I hear, I'd love this XI. If not, judging by the United display of Skrtel, make the back 3

Skrtel Toure Agger
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #96: Sep 06, 2013 04:08:45 am
      Simon, Moses, Jordan & 2 Daniels - there must be a biblical gag in there surely?

Hell, I hope they all have an impact of biblical proportions - Brendan can of course be the 'second coming' of Shankly.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #97: Sep 06, 2013 08:37:57 am
      Simon, Moses, Jordan & 2 Daniels - there must be a biblical gag in there surely?

Just need a Joshua now to lead us into the Promised land :)
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #98: Sep 06, 2013 11:13:58 am
      he is still the best passer of a ball and some of his tackling against UTD was as good as you will see from any footballer
      only concern I have about Gerrard is his age.  I really think he should be left out of all none vital games. An injury would be a disaster really.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #99: Sep 06, 2013 11:20:09 am

Not so far this season, it has been very sloppy at times, but his sitting and his overall defensive game has been top drawer.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #100: Sep 06, 2013 12:09:22 pm
      only concern I have about Gerrard is his age.  I really think he should be left out of all none vital games. An injury would be a disaster really.

Good shout there! Last year if not for the shoulder he would've played all 38 league games whistle to whistle for us. I can't see that happening this year even without injury.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #101: Sep 06, 2013 04:22:02 pm
      GK...Mignolet
      RB...Johnson
      CB...Sakho
      CB...Agger
      LB...Enrique
      CM...Gerrard
      CM...Lucas
      LM...Moses
      RM...Suarez
      AM...Couthino
      FW...Sturridge
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #102: Sep 06, 2013 04:25:40 pm
      Its very hard to drop Henderson and Toure but after spending so much on Sakho he has to start. Feel that Couthino should play at number 10 and Moses would be more effective on the wing then Henderson. Great to have all these options though.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #103: Sep 06, 2013 07:23:40 pm

As long as he's fit and firing, he should be playing every game for me. You seriously think Steven Gerrard wants to be left out? Besides, every game at the moment is vital, we don't have Europe either so I'm sure Gerrard can play once a week, twice for the odd midweek domestic cup game. Gerrard is as good and fit as any other 33 year old in the world, I don't get the concerns over his age. Look at the likes of Pirlo and Xavi...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #104: Sep 06, 2013 07:31:21 pm
      The difference between Gerrard and Pirlo and Xavi and the like is they aren't expected to make bone crunching tackles like Stevie is. Or expected to run themselves into the ground like Gerrard has for the past 10 years.

I think a little management of his appearances may be required, especially as we know England won't give a toss about his health and wellbeing.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #105: Sep 06, 2013 07:41:00 pm
      The difference between Gerrard and Pirlo and Xavi and the like is they aren't expected to make bone crunching tackles like Stevie is. Or expected to run themselves into the ground like Gerrard has for the past 10 years.

I think a little management of his appearances may be required, especially as we know England won't give a toss about his health and wellbeing.

Yeah I think that's a fair point mate, managing his appearances where we can. If we're in a healthy lead in a match, then take him off and give him a rest. But some of the calls for him to be 'left out of none vital matches' is a joke. Start with the strongest side, then take players off if you need to, I'm all for that. But not starting him is daft imo. We're in three competitions this year and have no European games/travelling so I'm pretty sure Gerrard can cope.

Fair point about England too, they won't give a sh*t as you said but that's completely out of our control unfortunately.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #106: Sep 06, 2013 07:49:49 pm
      the player I want to see gradually phased out over this season and next is Stevie G and i think Henderson can fill this position to an adequate degree.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #107: Sep 07, 2013 08:55:34 am
      What I'm praying is that Coutinho doesn't get injured. We have cover in almost every area but who else could really play that no.10 role? That's why I thought Eriksen would have been ideal, he's young enough to know that he wouldn't have started every game and he would be great cover for the wee dude.
      BR has done a good job this window but might need to think of adding to that area in January.

Quick Reply