Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Best Keeper?

Read 6441 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Re: Best Keeper?
      Reply #46: Jul 31, 2009 03:27:41 pm
      Billy I must take you to task over my hero Billy Liddell,he did win a first division  league champions medal in 1947.I agree with the rest of your post.

Says on lfc.tv that he didn't win anything with us mate. I'm sure he was at the club when we won the league in 47, but maybe he didn't pick up a winners medal or maybe lfc.tv has got it totally wrong.

Dont try absurd comments to prove a point its disrespectful and I thought more of you and your knowledge of Liverpool. Clemence won 3 European Cups 5 league titles 2 Eufa cups 1 FA cup and 1 league cup. He also let in 16 goals in a 42 game season.If that dosent make him our best ever goal keeper then I dont know what he would have had to do to be classed as our no.1. Iv'e seen all our Goalies since Tommy Lawrence and Clemence was virtually unbeatable at times and his shot stopping out of this world. Pepe is still young and is making a name for him self quite rightly but he will have to do a lot more to be considered above Clemence.

If you take the time to read the opening post you'll see I've said Clemence is the best we've had. Not because of what he won however because that means absolutely nothing. As I've said some legends in our history have no trophies, it doesn't make them any less of a player in terms of quality and doesn't make them any less a player than those who have won something - how is that absurd? Maybe because it's spot on that just because Clemo has won more than Pepe doesn't make him a better keeper. His ability in goal makes him the better keeper in my opinion.

Seen videos of Clemence playing, I thought in terms of commanding the area and the defence he was boss at doing it. I think he is the best of the best Liverpool has seen, but Reina is coming behind, real quick. Reina is catching him up and at the rate that he is going, he might go down as the best Liverpool keeper ever, better than Clemence, but Reina is helped by the fact that we've got a rock in front of him that is unbeatable - Jamie Carra.

Dudek deserves special mention as well, I thought that he was the hero in Istanbul and I will never forget his double save, his wobbly legs as well. He was one of the most eccentric keepers but when it was time to be serious he was.. And his shot stopping was amazing.

Firstly mate I think you'll find Clemo had a better defence in front of him which helped him throughout his Liverpool career. He was lucky enough to play behind some of the best defenders this club has ever seen, the only "legends" Pepe has played behind is Carra and Sami. If I remember rightly is was Clemence who said we'd had a bad game if he got to touch the ball or something along those lines. That proved how water tight we were in the late 60s right through the 70s while Clemo was our number one.

As for the Dudek thing, well maybe it's just me but I thought for the majority of the game in Istanbul he was his usual dodgy self. A few balls came in that he flapped at, there the cross that came in from their right which he couldn't catch and it ended up hitting the post. Even the penalties shouldn't have stood since he was closer to the half way line than the goal line by the time the Milan player hit the ball. The first of the double save wasn't great because he palmed it straight back into the path of Shevchenko. And the second was instict, fantastic save but Jerzy himself admitted he knew nothing about it. There's only three good saves I can remember that night from Jerzy, all from Shevchenko. First is that second stop, whether he knew nothing about it or not it was fantastic. Secondly is the pen save that won us the game, he was close to his line on that one unlike Pirlo's and finally the one from Shevchenko's free kick at the start of the second half.

Jerzy's best moment in a Liverpool shirt was the 03 League Cup final. He was rightly named man of the match for that game because he saved us a fair bit that night in Cardiff. But even that and the "heroics" in Istanbul wouldn't make me consider him anywhere near our best keeper in the last ten years never mind our history.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #47: Jul 31, 2009 03:58:30 pm
      You might win one or two trophies with a bit of luck but when you get up to double figures then it must mean you are good.I really hope Pepe can be considered the best ever in a few years time as it will mean we have been succesful and when you go through the list of goal keepers we have been blessed with some of the best.I think some of the comments about CLemence not touching the ball in a game are somewhat tongue in cheek and on his part self deprecating he was an outstanding goal keeper and I was priviledged to see him at his best.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #48: Jul 31, 2009 05:06:25 pm
      Firstly mate I think you'll find Clemo had a better defence in front of him which helped him throughout his Liverpool career. He was lucky enough to play behind some of the best defenders this club has ever seen, the only "legends" Pepe has played behind is Carra and Sami. If I remember rightly is was Clemence who said we'd had a bad game if he got to touch the ball or something along those lines. That proved how water tight we were in the late 60s right through the 70s while Clemo was our number one.

That's a fair point, I'd thought something along those lines myself.

16 goals conceded in 42 matches is incredible, and a testament not only to Clemence's keeping, but the team as a whole. Our ability to retain possession was second to none, and for me the record shows how tremendous the entire unit was, not just the keeper or defence, the whole lot.

It's very hard to pick just one, as they all played in different decades, and the style of play has changed a great deal over the years. For example, Pepe nowadays will never have to play on some of the horrendous water-logged pitches I remember seeing as a kid.

What's interesting as well is the great character our keeper's have had over the years! :D Brucie in particular always brought a smile to my face, and perhaps this kind of mentality helps being a great keeper, as they all make their gaffs, but some seem to dwell on that more than others.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #49: Aug 01, 2009 03:19:10 pm
      but Reina is helped by the fact that we've got a rock in front of him that is unbeatable - Jamie Carra.

Unbeatable? Theirry Henry made him trip himself over before slotting home at Highbury to go 3-2 up.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #50: Aug 01, 2009 03:41:30 pm
      I've been lucky enough to have seen all our keepers, from Tommy Lawrence on, play. We've had some world class keepers in that time but in my opinion, Ray Clemence just shades Pepe for the accolade 'best keeper'.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #51: May 01, 2010 01:56:37 am
      After this season I think I've finally been convinced that Pepe is our greatest. He's just been a beast at the back, keeping us in so many games. And thank F**k he's signed that new deal.

So for me, our best keeper now is Pepe Reina.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #52: May 02, 2010 03:40:55 am
      Clem or pepe but reina wins purely because of the introduction of the back pass rule and the number of potential goal scoring opportunities he creates with his quick distribution.
      Bloody close though especially considering the number of medals clem won.
      Quick question...how old was ray when he made his debut?
      Who was the youngest goalie ever to debut for liverpool?
      DLS i look forward to your trivia answers!
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #53: May 02, 2010 11:44:37 am
      Since I grew up in the 80s, I'd have give it to Brucie! Some of the saves the man made were incredible.

A real personality as well!!
      keithlfc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts |
      Reply #54: May 02, 2010 11:53:04 am
      I loved Brucie too mate grew up with him as our keeper it was like losing a family member when he left but looking back he was a little erratic at times so i'd have to give it to Pepe he's a F***ing beast of a keeper
      LFCkl
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 365 posts |
      Reply #55: May 02, 2010 03:50:56 pm
      Without a doubt I would have to say Pepe! Absolute class, especially his celebrations! ;)
      leeper1892
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 99 posts | -2 
      Reply #56: May 02, 2010 04:07:24 pm
      elisha scott, clemo, brucie n pepe
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #57: May 02, 2010 05:42:05 pm
      It's been such a season of diappointment. But the one bright light has been the form of Pepe, who has had a brilliant season, by far the best keeper in the premiership.

Let's build a team around this man, give him the captincy even. Pepe we salute you.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #58: May 03, 2010 08:01:36 am
      If he keeps this form up then without doubt he'll be the best ever. What a player.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #59: May 03, 2010 01:42:35 pm
      Captain reina,what a solid wall and also some great performances this season.
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #60: May 03, 2010 10:52:43 pm
      Not quite old enough to remember Clemence, but got his autograph in a charity superstars event at Widnes Rugby league ground when i was about nine.
      Have to say Reina is the best i've seen followed by Brucie although he went S**te around the 91-92 season.No one has mentioned Paul Jones  or that keeper we had in nets for Fowlers last game against Charlton -cannot remember his name

Quick Reply