Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

We Meet at last Mr Benitez

Read 1545 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      We Meet at last Mr Benitez
      May 07, 2010 11:40:13 am
      Source: SSN
      Liverpool are satisfied that a meeting between manager Rafa Benitez, new chairman Martin Broughton and managing director Christian Purslow ended with a positive outcome.

Benitez had reportedly cancelled a number of previous opportunities to meet with Broughton following his appointment in April, which is designed to ease the sale of the club.

The British Airways chairman has been asked by Liverpool co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks to help find a new buyer for the debt-ridden Merseyside outfit, but Benitez is also keen to hear assurances over a summer transfer budget.

Reports have suggested that the Spaniard is ready to accept an offer from Juventus after an incredibly disappointing season both on and off the field, although his agent has played down such speculation.

Following talks between Benitez, Broughton, who is a non-executive director, and Purslow on Thursday, Liverpool see signs of progress.

A spokesperson said: "We are pleased that the first of what is intended to be a series of meetings took place today between the chairman, managing director and the manager. The meeting was constructive and cordial.

Furious

"The chairman shared his views about plans for the future of the club. There was an exchange of views on issues of concern to both the board and the manager which were either addressed or to be picked up in forthcoming meetings."

Meanwhile, Liverpool co-owner Hicks is understood to be angry at the publication of comments from him which suggested it will take another two years to sell the club.

Reports on Thursday quoted the Texan as saying he and fellow American Gillett had been owners for three years, but would not be in charge for a total of five.

That was interpreted as him claiming it would take two years to sell the club he and Gillett bought back in 2007.

It is now thought that Hicks has reacted furiously to the publication of the remarks, which he does not deny making.

But the Texan has pointed out the comments were made before he and Gillett officially put the club up for sale last month.

He also clarified a quote in which he said he had paid a "terrible price" for ownership of the club, claiming that referred to his American-based sports interests in the form of Texas Rangers baseball team and Dallas Stars ice hockey franchise.

RedLFCBlood
      Re: We Meet at last Mr Benitez
      Reply #1: May 07, 2010 01:02:46 pm
      Safe to say Rafa is going nowhere then ?
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #2: May 07, 2010 01:39:12 pm
      I wonder when we will hear for sure the plans for the future of the club.
      I want to know if there are interested parties in buying the club, the future of Rafa, and any players, particularly our prized assetts Gerrard, Torres, Masch.
      I want to know that we dont have to sell to get in money, i want to know if the club will be sold sooner rather than later etc etc.

I would like someone to give an official statement from the club as to our future.please.

IRWT   YNWA   JFT96
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #3: May 07, 2010 02:05:14 pm
      I wonder when we will hear for sure the plans for the future of the club.
      I want to know if there are interested parties in buying the club, the future of Rafa, and any players, particularly our prized as sets Gerrard, Torres, Masch.
      I want to know that we don't have to sell to get in money, I want to know if the club will be sold sooner rather than later etc etc.

I would like someone to give an official statement from the club as to our future.please.

IRWT   YNWA   JFT96

Fair points in truth but in reality:

- Future plans don't go beyond getting new owners right now, they'll have to initiate long term plans.
      - The parties interested, as with any business deal, will remain confidential, because leaking detail only serves to alter price and subsequent interest in the acquisition of the asset.
      - Again futures of the staff will surely be dependent on new owners motives, actions and goals set.
      - The current finances it's been documented are quite tight but there will be money available in the summer according to Purslow, whose basically RBS staff anyway.
      - The negotiations is for a buyer will be a long process regardless of whose involved, screening viable purchasing candidates, then allowing them to review club finances, then beginning negotiations, agreeing a price, a payment structure and finally starting legal proceedings for the sale which is inclusive of all properties, staff, copyrights and trademarks. All of which points to an estimation of months rather than weeks.

...Then we get our statement!

I am aware I haven't helped really in terms of a straight answer, but the aforementioned are the facts of the case I think; so essentially we're sitting tight until someone has a Jeffrey at us and decides to pony up.

YNWA

JFT96
      9torres
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • lfc 4 lyf
      Reply #4: May 07, 2010 02:43:44 pm
      i want to know who we are going to sign!
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #5: May 07, 2010 05:16:23 pm
      I think all will become clear before the beginning of next season..
      As in Rafas future, our new owners, etc..
      Scouser Amy
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #6: May 07, 2010 05:49:03 pm
      It is worrying not knowing what is going to happen,I hope it gets sorted soon.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #7: May 07, 2010 06:22:37 pm
      Safe to say Rafa is going nowhere then ?

Never was/is going.
      jake15919
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 359 posts | 14 
      • Something, something, something, the dark side.
      Reply #8: May 07, 2010 07:56:31 pm
      Meanwhile in box 13 at fortress Anfield... Broughton is sat behind his desk stroking a Persian cat, Purslow is stood behind him and Rafa is sat on a chair in the middle of the room with a light shining in his face.
      Broughton : So Mr Benitez we meet at last.
      Rafa : Yes I am sorry I couldn't come up here and meet you after the match on Sunday.
      Broughton : No matter. Look Mr Benitez the reason I have asked to meet you today is to explain to you our financial situation. As you already know we are hundreds of millions of pounds in debt. What you don't know is that later this week we will be forced to post losses of £55 million for last season mainly due to servicing our loans.
      Benitez : That's bad news.
      Broughton : Bad news indeed Mr Benitez. I am afraid there will have to be some belt tightening.
      Refa looking down to his waist : But my belt it is tight already no?
      Perslow : No Rafa, what Mr. Perslow means is that there will be little in the way of transfer money this summer.
      Rafa : So I will be shopping at Poundland for new players.
      Broughton : Only of they have a sale on Mr Benitez. Only if they have a sale on.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #9: May 07, 2010 09:13:31 pm
      Rafa was probably made a load of false promises as usual!
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #10: May 07, 2010 10:13:41 pm
      I think somebody at LFC must have read my earlier post as Mr Broughton was just on LFC TV answering questions and explaining what is going on.
      Nice one  ;D I,m breathing a lot easier now and i think i will now get a good nights sleep without too much worrying :laugh:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #11: May 08, 2010 07:24:32 am
      I think somebody at LFC must have read my earlier post as Mr Broughton was just on LFC TV answering questions and explaining what is going on.
      Nice one  ;D I,m breathing a lot easier now and I think I will now get a good nights sleep without too much worrying :laugh:

Well thats good then. Very pleased for you. ;D

Quick Reply