Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Who Do You Think Will Win The World Cup?

Read 12252 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Who Do You Think Will Win The World Cup?
      Reply #46: May 24, 2010 03:18:58 pm
      I don't think Brazil will. They have quality players but I think there will be other teams who play better as a team than them.

I think if Argentina had the correct manager, they would be favourites for me but I think Maradona is a joke.

England could possibly win it, although it pains me to say. Capello is a great manager & he is the type if manager that anyone would love to have in a big tournament.

I think Spain may under-achieve in the summer. I know they have been in great form but I think they will slip up.

France, Holland and Italy don't stand a chance. They are simply not good enough.

In terms of a surprise package, I could see Chile doing well. They have got a very good set of exciting young players and could be the ones to watch. I also think Ivory Coast could spurn a surprise.

Although I hope to god it dosen't happen, as they will be talking about it for the next 40 + years, I think England will win it. Capello is a tactical genius and he won't take any slacking. I am going to throw it out their, England v Ivory Coast final with England winning :'(.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #47: May 24, 2010 07:29:01 pm
      I don't think Argentina will fare well at all. Who are their best 5 players? Tevez, Messi, Higuain, Aguero, and Mascherano in my opinion, and that's leaving Milito out! 4 of those are strikers/centre forwards and Masch is a destroyer. They need creativity in the middle of the park and they don't have it with this set up. Riquelme used to be that guy for them but he's aged, and while DiMaria is an exciting Winger and I love Maxi, I don't think they are what Argentina needs. Those forwards need decent supply and Argentina don't have that in abundance like Spain does.

I think USA will be a chore and make it to the quarters this term. I don't know why I just have a good feeling. I'm thinking Michael Bradley will be ready to move to a bigger club this sumemr as well with a good showing. He is a great box to box midfielder and I could see him somewhere in England next season.

Spain has too much quality not to win it, but you guys are right, the lack of a destroyer in the midfield could hurt them. They will, however, possess the ball more than any other team and could avoid having that hurt them. I think they could move Ramos in to the middle, Arbeloa out wide in his spot, and put Pique in the middle of the park and the problem could be solved then.

I think it will be Spain and England in the final. I think Capello finally has this team in the right mindset. If Terry and Ferdinand are sh*t together, however, England will be ready for an early knockout because they aren't the Terry and Ferdinand of 2009.

If Spain doesn't win that will be the shocker. They are too talented to not make it to the Finals.
      MrKite
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 475 posts | -2 
      Reply #48: May 24, 2010 07:53:50 pm
      Spain man by man are by far the best side out there. But can they handle the pressure?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #49: May 24, 2010 09:23:01 pm
      Spain man by man are by far the best side out there. But can they handle the pressure?

Well they won the Euro's so i dont see why they wouldn't handle it.
      D33SH
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #50: May 24, 2010 09:35:31 pm
      i say watch out for holland
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #51: May 24, 2010 11:07:49 pm
      You said 'Stay away from the games and get back under your tin roof. We do not care if it is your country boy.' How am I suppose to interpret that?

I see what you mean but it was meant as the organisers of the world cup saying that, not me. I might be wrong and the people of the townships will fill the corporate seats but I very much doubt if there will be any available after team Beckham take their allocation. My comments were meant as a dig at the whole corrupt and greedy way football has gone. The Olympic Games are the same.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #52: May 24, 2010 11:10:45 pm

I see what you mean but it was meant as the organisers of the world cup saying that, not me. I might be wrong and the people of the townships will fill the corporate seats but I very much doubt if there will be any available after team Beckham take their allocation. My comments were meant as a dig at the whole corrupt and greedy way football has gone. The Olympic Games are the same.
      My bad then. Glad to hear you meant it different, made me angry that. And I know what you mean, I don't think SA is ready for this yet either.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #53: May 24, 2010 11:15:52 pm
      I want Spain to win it but I think they will miss Marcos Senna.

England, Gerrard-Rooney partnership seems to be their best asset.

Another contender would be Argentina.

I personally don't think Italy, France, Germany, Holland or Brazil will win it.
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #54: May 24, 2010 11:35:04 pm
      My bad then. Glad to hear you meant it different, made me angry that. And I know what you mean, I don't think SA is ready for this yet either.

Sorry Dexter, I am very cynical sometimes and very critical. But I am not a facist.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #55: May 25, 2010 02:27:17 am
      Not sure about Argentina myself - they have a great attack but there are two problems. Their best players play in similar positions so some are going to have to be left out. Secondly, I think their defense is a bit suspect. Personally I think it's criminal to leave Zanetti out - may be 36 but he's still one of the best fullbacks out there (not to mention his positional flexibility).
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #56: May 25, 2010 02:31:49 am
      ^ Cambiasso as well. Especially after watching the CL final, really can't believe he was left out.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #57: May 25, 2010 07:06:57 am
      I am surprised so many people are pinning Argentina to win, they have crap keeper and easily worst back-line of any of the top nations. I don't believe you need the best defenders in the world to win at a tournament like this but with such a poor keeper as well it makes it tough.
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson
      • Started Topic

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #58: May 25, 2010 09:06:26 am
      Milito is a bloody gun, he will definitely help Argentina. I'm still all for Argentina.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #59: May 25, 2010 02:30:00 pm
      I am surprised so many people are pinning Argentina to win, they have crap keeper and easily worst back-line of any of the top nations. I don't believe you need the best defenders in the world to win at a tournament like this but with such a poor keeper as well it makes it tough.
      Sergio Romero is not that crap and poor, he's just young and inexperienced. He's a very talented keeper with world class potential. He was part of the argentinian team that won the under-20 world cup in 2007 and part of the team that won the 2008 olympics and he won the dutch league last year with AZ. Van Gaal actually wanted to take him with him to Bayern Munich last summer, but he had to promise not to take any players with him.
      « Last Edit: May 25, 2010 02:42:48 pm by Dexter »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #60: May 25, 2010 02:40:12 pm
      Everyone seems to be saying Spain. For me Brazil and Argentina look strong and never ever write off the Germans and Italians.
      Jaguar909
      • Banned

• 66 posts | -13 
      • Respect is earned , not given
      Reply #61: May 25, 2010 02:42:06 pm
      England, simply because spain won the euros last time we won the world cup, and we deserve some luck, think out team was better last world cup though, with a poor manager, our manager is good now, and for me we are faves.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,452 posts | 8660 
      Reply #62: May 25, 2010 08:32:15 pm
      England, simply because spain won the euros last time we won the world cup, and we deserve some luck, think out team was better last world cup though, with a poor manager, our manager is good now, and for me we are faves.

While England do have a strong team, the one area I reckon that will let them down is goalkeeper, Hart's a decent keeper, but not really tested at international level, Green's ok, but concedes silly goals at times and James is an accident waiting to happen.

Both Brazil and Spain's keepers and sub keepers are all far better than the three England goalies. Should be an interesting tournment, especially if Argentina can pull it together.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #63: May 27, 2010 04:01:57 am
      Last four...
      Spain, ivory coast, italy, england.
      Final...spain and italy....
      Italy to win.
      No latin american country to reach the semi's.
      Brazil's squad are  are too defensive.
      Argentina are poor at the back
      France are in transition
      Holland to argue amongst themselves out of the quaters.
      Germany to go OUT on penners!
      USA to get out the group and draw 1-1 with my home country in the opening game of the group.
      Torres and drogba joint golden boot.
      £5 anyone?!
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #64: May 27, 2010 05:18:46 am
      Last four...
      Spain, ivory coast, italy, england.
      Final...spain and italy....
      Italy to win.
      No latin american country to reach the semi's.
      Brazil's squad are  are too defensive.
      Argentina are poor at the back
      France are in transition
      Holland to argue amongst themselves out of the quaters.
      Germany to go OUT on penners!
      USA to get out the group and draw 1-1 with my home country in the opening game of the group.
      Torres and drogba joint golden boot.
      £5 anyone?!
      Ivory Coast in Semis? Bet 50 with me on that! :D
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #65: May 27, 2010 05:32:00 am
      Really?! Drogba's at his peak and will pull his team through. They have so many strong and quality players. When they get out of their group they are going to be full of beans. I totally see them being a force in SA.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #66: May 27, 2010 05:56:13 am
      I know they are a strong team and I'm completely backing them to knock Portugal out and advance through the groupstage themselves. But I don't think they have enough about them to reach the semis. Teams like Argentina, Holland, France won't have a tough time beating Ivory Coast. Drogba is just one man.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #67: May 27, 2010 07:32:35 am
      Look again at france, holland and argentina. Do u really think they have the squad or team spirit this time around. Its in africa and its africas time.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #68: May 27, 2010 07:38:33 am
      France- Gourcuff, Malouda, Ribery, Anelka, Henry.
      Netherlands- Afellay, Sneijder, Van Der Vaart, Huntelaar, Kuyt, Robben, Van Persie.
      Argentina- Tevez, Messi, Higuain, Milito, Aguero, Maxi, Mascherano, Di Maria. ( One of the best attacks in the tournament )

So yeah, they do have 'some' quality. ;)
      And there's no question about the spirit. Playing in the World Cup is enough to bring the spirit and confidence in the camps.

Quick Reply